• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Wasn't K Rool always popular everywhere? I was under the assumption he was Japan's most wanted. Anyways, Bandana Dee will be a hype character. Kirby is massive in Japan and he's popular both here and there.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It would at least be good that Sakurai's reluctance at using Kirby concepts that aren't his own doesn't remain an universal constant. BWD is a weird middle ground in that regard; the design is Sakurai's, but the weapon of choice and current role are all Kumazaki.

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
Wasn't K Rool always popular everywhere? I was under the assumption he was Japan's most wanted. Anyways, Bandana Dee will be a hype character. Kirby is massive in Japan and he's popular both here and there.
Oh Bandana Dee will be taken very well in Japan. Kirby's ridiculously popular over there, and Waddle Dees are considered even more iconic than Meta Knight and even King Dedede.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
DKC is massively popular in Japan
As are most Nintendo games, but you're being intentionally misleading if you're gonna claim that DKC has any exceptional popularity in Japan when the games have always been slightly above average to modest selling over there.

The cartoon was very popular there and well remembered by fans. K. Rool has been a longtime request in Japan
This is pre-reveal Rhetoric that has never had any basis in reality or any proof to back it up, and as I have said, Japanese K.Rool discussion essentially exclusively revolved around the assumption that Sakurai wouldn't ignore the loud as hell westerners memeing the character(s) up. PushDustin's poll reflects this.

I'm not dignifying your ad homenim with a response, but you getting this upset and defensive over a confirmed character is kinda concerning.

Wasn't K Rool always popular everywhere? I was under the assumption he was Japan's most wanted.
He was extremely expected due to noisey western fans, but not exceptionally desired in any way.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
As are most Nintendo games, but you're being intentionally misleading if you're gonna claim that DKC has any exceptional popularity in Japan when the games have always been slightly above average to modest selling over there.

This is pre-reveal Rhetoric that has never had any basis in reality or any proof to back it up, and as I have said, Japanese K.Rool discussion essentially exclusively revolved around the assumption that Sakurai wouldn't ignore the loud as hell westerners memeing the character(s) up. PushDustin's poll reflects this.

I'm not dignifying your ad homenim with a response, but you getting this upset and defensive over a confirmed character is kinda concerning.

He was extremely expected due to noisey western fans, but not exceptionally desired in any way.
How do you know what their discussions were like? I'm not doubting you, I just don't know where you got this info. Also, why would they vote for him in the poll if they didn't care for him?

StormC

Smash Hero
The first DKC sold 2 million copies there alone, which is more than any other western games at the time. It did exceptionally well.

But hey, don't take it from me. Here's a poll you linked earlier... which uses the same ballot data I linked earlier.

If Pushdustin's poll reflects reactions to western popularity instead of actual Japanese popularity, what does that say for Bandana Dee? Hell, what does that say about the fact that Ridley isn't here?

And where is your proof of this claim? This is contradictory to things disclosed by Pushdustin - who speaks Japanese and lives in Japan. All data, including trailer views, tweets, and information gathered from Japanese forums indicates K. Rool is popular there.

Your desire to tear down the reality that K. Rool was popular in Japan actually hinders any arguments you have that Bandana Dee is popular there.

SwitchButton

How do you know what their discussions were like? I'm not doubting you, I just don't know where you got this info. Also, why would they vote for him in the poll if they didn't care for him?
I browse 2ch, follow japanese gaming media like Famitsu and the like, and have a discord that has a few people from the country. The character isn't hated in Japan or anything, but to imply that he has the same obnoxiously giant status he does in our community is flat out untrue. If he did ever place, he did so because people expected him, rather then sheer passionate desire to see him

--edit:

Your desire to tear down the reality that K. Rool was popular in Japan actually hinders any arguments you have that Bandana Dee is popular there.
Based on what? PushDustin's chart created via questionable methods? We have multiple large scale japanese gaming media outlets listing Dee as essentially the most wanted character in the country. I've only seen K.Rool chart on a single japanese poll, and it was based purely on who people EXPECT to be added, and he STILL charted below 3 characters, one of whom was the Dee.

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I browse 2ch, follow japanese gaming media like Famitsu and the like, and have a discord that has a few people from the country. The character isn't hated in Japan or anything, but to imply that he has the same obnoxiously giant status he does in our community is flat out untrue. If he did ever place, he did so because people expected him, rather then sheer passionate desire to see him
Well, that's pretty interesting. I'm assuming he's still decently popular there though, right? It's still weird so many would vote for him if they don't even care for him. Do you have like a general idea of who's popular there then? I'm assuming Bandana Dee is near the top.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community

So your opposition needs citations to prove the Japanese popularity of a confirmed character, but we need to take your word for it that the sample size you have personally viewed is indicative of all of Japan.

If he did ever place, he did so because people expected him, rather then sheer passionate desire to see him
I would like to believe that people are not so soulless they would vote exclusively for what is likely over what they want.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
It would at least be good that Sakurai's reluctance at using Kirby concepts that aren't his own doesn't remain an universal constant. BWD is a weird middle ground in that regard; the design is Sakurai's, but the weapon of choice and current role are all Kumazaki.
Very true. But I think there's hope for this game. Aside from Masked Dedede which we've all mentioned, I did some looking up, and it turns out that they actually updated Kirby's jump animation (And I think his dash too?) to be more in-line with his animations in the RtDL-styled games.
dqdw.PNG

qudou.PNG

Not to mention how they actually took a victory dance move straight from RtDL:
Which I just adore.

Stuff like Chef Kawasaki and the City Trial remix doesn't exactly instill confidence in the modern Kirby representation in this game I admit, but stuff like the tweaked jumping animation gives me hope that Sakurai is paying closer attention to the Kirby games he didn't make. And like you said, Bandana Dee is sort of like the middle ground between Sakurai and Kumazaki, so that makes me even more optimistic for his chances.

SwitchButton

I'm assuming he's still decently popular there though, right?
Of course. He's the main villain of DKC after all. I'm just saying he's pretty modest over there. You know how most people generally consider, say, Paper Mario to be a cool addition idea, but there's no crazy explosive GROUND SHATTERING demand for him? That's K.Rool in Japan.

edit:

I would like to believe that people are not so soulless they would vote exclusively for what is likely over what they want.
They do in polls specifically made asking for what character people expect. Ironically enough the exception here is Dee, who was said to be voted out of sheer desire.

Last edited:

Waddle_dude

Smash Cadet
King K. Rool is popular world wide and wanted in since melee. Dee is also up there, remember not put eachother down and mock other characters. Let us as dee fans be respectful of other choices and characters. And if dee doesn’t get in remeber not to throw fits and attack sakurai. Let’s be one of the good fan bases lol

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
HAVE THIS BEEN PROVEN TRUE OR FALSE? I WILL BE REALLY SAD IF IT'S REAL
It hasn't been proven either way but, the source was originally 4chan, and Verge hasn't said anything about it to my knowledge, so it's most likely fake. Someone probably just photoshopped it lol.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I feel like I went a little overboard yesterday, and I just want to say sorry for that.

Uh, in other news. Recently ordered a waddle Adee- I mean amiibo for good luck (and general cuteness) which should arrive today. May we be blessed.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
King K. Rool is popular world wide and wanted in since melee. Dee is also up there, remember not put eachother down and mock other characters. Let us as dee fans be respectful of other choices and characters. And if dee doesn’t get in remeber not to throw fits and attack sakurai. Let’s be one of the good fan bases lol
With that in mind, it's pretty telling how relevant this comic is after all this time:

psa___voting_etiquette_by_dragonith-d8oud25.png

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
With that in mind, it's pretty telling how relevant this comic is after all this time:

View attachment 158965
You can say that again. Also I'm concerned about the bowtie being on where his mouth(?) should be.
I vaguely remember reading it a few years ago, had a smol laugh, and I was also a bit surprised that I wasn't the only one who voted for Dee.
But also
Look at him fancily dressed.
Datsa good boi.

Anyway it's only been like two weeks since the direct I'm not sure whether time is going too fast or too slow.
Patience is a virtue, one I could most definitely do with.
I NEED

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I wonder if Bandana Dee will use any of the items from Adventure Wii in his moveset, I could see the trumpet as an up smash, the cannon as a forward Smash and the boot as a down smash

Anop

Smash Apprentice

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
So yesterday, my Waddle Dee amiibo came in, and I decided to try it out with Planet Robobot, and I saw something of interest that I didn't realise before.
I also threw out this in the BD discord last night.
I was already aware that the Waddle Dee amiibo gave you a Bandana Dee costume with a parasol, but I didn't realize at the time that the parasol is the same one Bandana Dee uses in Battle Royale's story mode. (Or well, any of the Waddle Dees.)

I personally think it increases the chances of Parasol being incorporated into Dee's moveset, should he get in, since they did go out of their way to design a special Parasol to be assosciated with Bandana Dee over a year before Battle Royale came out. And Planet Robobot released about half a year after the completion of Ultimate's Project plan. Not sure when the Parasol was designed, so I may be stretching it, but it's fun to think about.

Anop

Smash Apprentice
So yesterday, my Waddle Dee amiibo came in, and I decided to try it out with Planet Robobot, and I saw something of interest that I didn't realise before.
I also threw out this in the BD discord last night.
I was already aware that the Waddle Dee amiibo gave you a Bandana Dee costume with a parasol, but I didn't realize at the time that the parasol is the same one Bandana Dee uses in Battle Royale's story mode. (Or well, any of the Waddle Dees.)

I personally think it increases the chances of Parasol being incorporated into Dee's moveset, should he get in, since they did go out of their way to design a special Parasol to be assosciated with Bandana Dee over a year before Battle Royale came out. And Planet Robobot released about half a year after the completion of Ultimate's Project plan. Not sure when the Parasol was designed, so I may be stretching it, but it's fun to think about.
Yes, I think that the parasol will be incorporated in a similar fashion that in Super Smash Flash 2. It would be really cool, I love his moveset there.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So I’m really feeling the BD hype right now. BD and Skull Kid are basically my only most wanted newcomers that I have a lot of hope for now (besides Dixie, but she’ll likely be an echo sadly). Would someone mind cluing me in on all the decent evidence we on BD being playable at this point? The stuff I do know is that BD doesn’t appear in DDD’s final smash, and that apparently there’s some data that indicates you can use a BD amiibo in Ultimate (correct me if I’m wrong). Is there anything else?

Last edited:

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
So I’m really feeling the BD hype right now. BD and Skull Kid are basically my only most wanted newcomers that I have a lot of hope for now (besides Dixie, but she’ll likely be an echo sadly). Would someone mind cluing me in on all the decent evidence we on BD being playable at this point? The stuff I do know is that BD doesn’t appear in DDD’s final smash, and that apparently there’s some data that indicates you can use a BD amiibo in Ultimate (correct me if I’m wrong). Is there anything else?
Thanks for the little comment! I got some bad news and good news for you. Let's start with:

The bad news:
The Amiibo data isn't credible. The one who posted that was an obsessive Daisy fan who included the same data regarding Daisy in that same post. He, Memoryman, is notorious online, and has no record of datamining. On top of that, he "debunked" the waddle dee amiibo data himself. And once again, he's not a credible source at all. So either he either A: Made both up (which I'm betting on), or B: Only "debunked" it because Daisy's in smash and therefore has no more reason to care about Dee.

The good news:
You're right about 3D's final smash, and I wouldn't normally bet on it, but since they went out of their way to include Fiora in Shulk's final smash this time around, I think there might be some merit to the argument.

Other things: His Guest Star appearance in Star Allies has some interesting wording on the pause screen. Going out of its way to talk about how Bandana Dee is different from other Waddle Dees, and saying he "deserves a prize", many speculate this is referring to his playability in Smash Bros. On top of that, in Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, he also says something among the lines of "It'd be nice if I could get a reward, too...". So who knows? It might just be pointing towards his inclusion, as we have no information so far as to what that prize could be. (As far as I know anyway.)

Another thing to consider is Sakurai warming up towards Modern Kirby. We already had Kirby's Final Smash in 4, but he also had no input on the creation of Masked Dedede (appears in Dedede's Final Smash) and Galacta Knight (as MK has a costume resembling him). So I feel like the "Sakurai is biased towards his own games" argument doesn't hold as much water as it may have had before Smash ultimate was shown at E3. I also recall hearing that one of Kirby's victory animations is based off Return to Dreamland, though I never really bothered to check this myself.

On top of that: In this interview Sakurai states that he looks towards the Ballot for character picks for Ultimate. And with how big of a deal Kirby is in Japan, and Bandana Dee being a VERY high request in Japan, I think his chances are as high as they could ever be, ESPECIALLY when considering Kirby and the Rainbow Curse got released only MONTHS in Japan and NA before the Smash Ballot started, where Dee was the only other playable character than Kirby, it's safe to assume he's got plenty of Ballot votes when taking his few other roles into consideration.

One last little thing: Considering his aforementioned roles in modern Kirby, being pretty much a main character and all, I feel like it's safe to say he'd be an assist trophy at minimum, but so far, we haven't seen him. Hell, KAWASAKI was revealed to be a/the new Kirby AT.

And while slots may be extremely limited this time around, I personally feel like Dee's got very little competition when it comes to first party unique newcomers. (And I don't think we'll be getting as many third parties as some others think. One more unique third party at most is my guess.)

Though it's always wise to keep your expectations in check. I'm personally convinced he'll be in, but you never really know until he's official revealed, or deconfirmed. I myself as am hopeful as I'll ever be.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Thanks for the little comment! I got some bad news and good news for you. Let's start with:

The bad news:
The Amiibo data isn't credible. The one who posted that was an obsessive Daisy fan who included the same data regarding Daisy in that same post. He, Memoryman, is notorious online, and has no record of datamining. On top of that, he "debunked" the waddle dee amiibo data himself. And once again, he's not a credible source at all. So either he either A: Made both up (which I'm betting on), or B: Only "debunked" it because Daisy's in smash and therefore has no more reason to care about Dee.

The good news:
You're right about 3D's final smash, and I wouldn't normally bet on it, but since they went out of their way to include Fiora in Shulk's final smash this time around, I think there might be some merit to the argument.

Other things: His Guest Star appearance in Star Allies has some interesting wording on the pause screen. Going out of its way to talk about how Bandana Dee is different from other Waddle Dees, and saying he "deserves a prize", many speculate this is referring to his playability in Smash Bros. On top of that, in Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, he also says something among the lines of "It'd be nice if I could get a reward, too...". So who knows? It might just be pointing towards his inclusion, as we have no information so far as to what that prize could be. (As far as I know anyway.)

Another thing to consider is Sakurai warming up towards Modern Kirby. We already had Kirby's Final Smash in 4, but he also had no input on the creation of Masked Dedede (appears in Dedede's Final Smash) and Galacta Knight (as MK has a costume resembling him). So I feel like the "Sakurai is biased towards his own games" argument doesn't hold as much water as it may have had before Smash ultimate was shown at E3. I also recall hearing that one of Kirby's victory animations is based off Return to Dreamland, though I never really bothered to check this myself.

On top of that: In this interview Sakurai states that he looks towards the Ballot for character picks for Ultimate. And with how big of a deal Kirby is in Japan, and Bandana Dee being a VERY high request in Japan, I think his chances are as high as they could ever be, ESPECIALLY when considering Kirby and the Rainbow Curse got released only MONTHS in Japan and NA before the Smash Ballot started, where Dee was the only other playable character than Kirby, it's safe to assume he's got plenty of Ballot votes when taking his few other roles into consideration.

One last little thing: Considering his aforementioned roles in modern Kirby, being pretty much a main character and all, I feel like it's safe to say he'd be an assist trophy at minimum, but so far, we haven't seen him. Hell, KAWASAKI was revealed to be a/the new Kirby AT.

And while slots may be extremely limited this time around, I personally feel like Dee's got very little competition when it comes to first party unique newcomers. (And I don't think we'll be getting as many third parties as some others think. One more unique third party at most is my guess.)

Though it's always wise to keep your expectations in check. I'm personally convinced he'll be in, but you never really know until he's official revealed, or deconfirmed. I myself as am hopeful as I'll ever be.
Back around E3 time, I made a list of a great many items like this.
BANDANA WADDLE DEE FOR SMASH SWITCH.png

There are more reasons, but this is an old image. Also, although the Bandana Dee amiibo evidence was debunked, there is still Waddle Dee amiibo data because of that amiibo.
:193:

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
:laugh: nah it's fine. To be fair, I did make that before you apparently joined. I don't remember if I ever posted it in this thread though.
:251:
Seems like you did.
...And it seems like I also liked that post. Despite it being quite a few pages before my first post in this thread, around the time Adeline and Ribbon were confirmed for Star Allies wave 2.
I do vaguely recall reading through a few pages before posting myself.
Uhhhhhhhhhhh
I'm going to blame my subconscience.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Seems like you did.
...And it seems like I also liked that post. Despite it being quite a few pages before my first post in this thread, around the time Adeline and Ribbon were confirmed for Star Allies wave 2.
I do vaguely recall reading through a few pages before posting myself.
Uhhhhhhhhhhh
I'm going to blame my subconscience.
My unexpected influencing of you :laugh:. Not in a bad way tho. It's basically like, you read what I said, and were like "these all make sense" so you worked on elaboration of those points and waited for an opportunity to say.
:233:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The most recent post gives B. Dee a nice boost in chance. It confirms ballot is playing a big part in selection which I believe Bandana Dee did better than most in (honestly, I think the only ones who did better are already playable)

It also doubles down on there only being 100 stages, and Bandana Dee is by far the most popular character completely unaffected by this (boosting him via process of elimination), he doesn't really need to tie in with one particular Kirby stage.

Accf124

Smash Journeyman

The bad news:

The good news:

Wait he had a quote in Kirby Clash? Holy that's another boost. Add that to the two quotes in Star Allies. This could definitely be hardcore teasing.

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
i just hope that all this going in his favour can stand up to sakurai's bias
I agree. Sakurai's bias at this point is pretty much the make-or-break for BD. We don't know what his opinion is on the character, and this could seriously affect his chances.

However, thanks to the Smash ballot apparently being largely relevant for Ultimate's newcomers, I think that this is less of a concern regarding his inclusion. In other words, unless he REALLY holds a grudge, I think he's got a very good chance. According to the most recent poll he's #1 in Japan. I don't think Sakurai is just going to overlook that. I will legitimately be surprised if he goes without even a trophy.

Plus now we've got Galacta Knight, Super Abilities, Masked Dedede, etc. Granted these are smaller projects than a stage or newcomer, but it's still worth considering.

BY THE WAY- The language used recently seems to imply that the 100 stages we have are final. Of course no one knows if that's true, but they're making it seem like it is. With that being said, does that mean we're only getting characters with series representation in Smash? Every character has a stage that corresponds with their series. More 3rd parties and 1st parties like Issac would be excluded. In other words, if true, this rule only adds to Dee's chances.

I would say Magolor gives us competition because he's #2 in Japan, but he doesn't rank in the top 10 of USA. So hey, maybe a boss?

TheJutin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2432-2756-8217
BD is definitely the character I want to see the most, but I really just want a Kirby character. I love the franchise and I think it deserves more than 3 characters. But still BD is the best one to add

Acemania

Smash Apprentice
Oh man its so awesome to see so many people supporting Bandana Dee! I for one cannot wait to see the inevitable day he gets in! By the by, can you add me to the supporter list? I wanna support the Dee as much as I can!

Top Bottom