• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, let's keep in mind, folks: the only reason these people are getting so loud is because our community is getting just as loud, and looks pretty likely as time goes on.

Note that Sakurai does look to his Japanese audiences for certain picks, and BWD is by far the most wanted character in that country.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Hello BWD fanbase.

So Shokio made a hate video on BWD.

Bandana Dee confirmed.

In all seriousness, I do wish you guys good luck. Because i harbor no ill will towards BWD. I think he's a perfectly acceptable canidate for Ultimate.

However, given how people like Maxwell and Shokio have gotten louder with their grievances towards your pick, i do hope you guys are able to get your wish, so they will calm down, and not call him "Kirby's goomba" or whatever.

Best of luck, you guys. :)

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Remember guys, getting alot of hate from detractors just shows how popular your character is getting especially after the king of demands K.Rool made it in, making more characters open to the spotlight and naturally getting more people to hate on them. K.Rool and Ridley had a dedicated hatebase before they were confirmed

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
So Shokio has just declared Bandana Dee the worst possible character you could possibly add to Smash.

The last time he said that it was about Ridley...guess who we got? So Bandana Dee confirmed!?
A few things. 1) I think we all know where I stand with BWD support (I stand very much in favor of Bandana Waddle Dee. I want Bandana Waddle Dee in Smash and then in Smash 6 I want Dark Matter); 2) Even if I wasn't in favor of Bandana Waddle Dee, claiming he's the worse possible character you could possibly add? That's just lacking in creativity! And that, I believe, is the real crime here.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Yeah, let's keep in mind, folks: the only reason these people are getting so loud is because our community is getting just as loud, and looks pretty likely as time goes on.

Note that he does look to his Japanese audiences for certain picks, and BWD is by far the most wanted character in that country.
Actually, Bandana Dee fans have been getting really quiet from what I'm hearing. The only love for Bandana Dee I'm hearing outside of this thread is "What? You hate Bandana Dee?" only to be drowned out and/or engaged in a flame war by one or more Deetractors. I have heard twice the amount of hate for Bandana Dee than I have heard love for him.

Remember guys, getting alot of hate from detractors just shows how popular your character is getting especially after the king of demands K.Rool made it in, making more characters open to the spotlight and naturally getting more people to hate on them. K.Rool and Ridley had a dedicated hatebase before they were confirmed
I haven't really seen K. Rool's hatedom; he seemed to be universally loved. As for Ridley, he has an excuse in that Sakurai literally handed haters their argument. Haters decided that Bandana Dee was, in their minds, a Hat Goomba, on their own (Granted, there was also Gamexplain, but the haters still decided to hate them on their own). And as I said before, I've heard WAY more hate for Bandana Dee since then, so I think Bandana Dee fans are the minority here.

Sorry to sound negative when you're trying to be supportive. Good luck to Isaac and may he get his revival.

Hello BWD fanbase.

So Shokio made a hate video on BWD.

Bandana Dee confirmed.

In all seriousness, I do wish you guys good luck. Because i harbor no ill will towards BWD. I think he's a perfectly acceptable canidate for Ultimate.

However, given how people like Maxwell and Shokio have gotten louder with their grievances towards your pick, i do hope you guys are able to get your wish, so they will calm down, and not call him "Kirby's goomba" or whatever.

Best of luck, you guys. :)
Thanks. Those haters are probably gonna get their way, but best of luck to your picks too.

A few things. 1) I think we all know where I stand with BWD support (I stand very much in favor of Bandana Waddle Dee. I want Bandana Waddle Dee in Smash and then in Smash 6 I want Dark Matter); 2) Even if I wasn't in favor of Bandana Waddle Dee, claiming he's the worse possible character you could possibly add? That's just lacking in creativity! And that, I believe, is the real crime here.
I was gonna respond to this with my worst, but out of the highly requested characters, there's no #1 worst. Sure some would not be as good as othersIMO , but to pick one out and call them the worst and call their fans idiots for liking them? I question how people have the guts/heart to do it at all, let alone revel in it. And it's really bad with Shantae and Bandana Dee (just my luck that it's my two most wanted), to the point where any shot they once had for DLC (or would have had if they're confirmed/deconfirmed in the base game) is now gone thanks to the majority (I'm convinced that the haters are the majority and not a vocal minority) of haters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Looks like Shokio needed someone else to hate after Ridley got confirmed.
I've been noticing that more lately. When a character that someone hates gets in Smash, someone else will have to fill the hate void. Seems like Bandana Dee is going to be that character for a long time now that Ridley and K. Rool are in Smash.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Bandana Dee has been hated on for quite some time, all thanks to "he's a hat goomba." I don't think any of the hate from this Shokio fellow will affect Bandana Dee in any way.

On the topic of the "goomba with a hat" argument, I find it incredibly flawed. Say the Mario series did have a Goomba wearing a hat as a main character. So what? Would the fact that this character is a Goomba with a hat really detract from it being a main character? If a character has had some importance to a series, their species shouldn't matter. Again, a Yoshi and Pokemon are perfect examples of this.

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
Bandana Dee has been hated on for quite some time, all thanks to "he's a hat goomba." I don't think any of the hate from this Shokio fellow will affect Bandana Dee in any way.

On the topic of the "goomba with a hat" argument, I find it incredibly flawed. Say the Mario series did have a Goomba wearing a hat as a main character. So what? Would the fact that this character is a Goomba with a hat really detract from it being a main character? If a character has had some importance to a series, their species shouldn't matter. Again, a Yoshi and Pokemon are perfect examples of this.
Don't forget ROB as there are multiple copies of him and Game & Watch

But the last game Sakurai worked on Kirby is Kirby Air Ride in 2003, Bandana Dee didn't get his starring role in 2010 7 years later, that puts his chance down a bit so it's either 50-50

osby

Smash Obsessed
Don't forget ROB as there are multiple copies of him and Game & Watch

But the last game Sakurai worked on Kirby is Kirby Air Ride in 2003, Bandana Dee didn't get his starring role in 2010 7 years later, that puts his chance down a bit so it's either 50-50
Sakurai doesn't only put characters from the games he worked on. Also, why time gap has any significance?

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman

I'm just saying, if Goombario or Goombella had reoccuring roles, you'd bet I'd want them in.
Oh wait, we have someone like that in the name of Captain Toad(ette). I'd definitely like them. (Not being able to jump be damned, just make a music note block appear when someone presses the jump button or something.)

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I wish people would stop using this argument. Why would Kirby get the Ultra Sword if that was the case?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I've been noticing that more lately. When a character that someone hates gets in Smash, someone else will have to fill the hate void. Seems like Bandana Dee is going to be that character for a long time now that Ridley and K. Rool are in Smash.
the characters that i hate in smash are still the focus of my hate

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Vergeban was wrong about the Dee assist trophy thing. He wasn't even the first person to predict Simon and Ridley, someone else did. He's not credible at all, just basking in his own glory.

And at this point anyone who says Dee doesn't deserve to be in needs a mental evaluation.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Vergeban was wrong about the Dee assist trophy thing. He wasn't even the first person to predict Simon and Ridley, someone else did. He's not credible at all, just basking in his own glory.

And at this point anyone who says Dee doesn't deserve to be in needs a mental evaluation.
Wait when did Vergeben say anything about Bandana Dee?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
He, and others who copy him, claim that Dee is an assist trophy.

It may have been someone else but needless to say the claims are not credible.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
He, and others who copy him, claim that Dee is an assist trophy.

It may have been someone else but needless to say the claims are not credible.
Where did you see these claims? His only accounts are on GameFAQs and Reddit. Anywhere else, it’s an imposter.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Where did you see these claims? His only accounts are on GameFAQs and Reddit. Anywhere else, it’s an imposter.
Probably an imposter then. Oops.

In any case, I still don't understand why anyone would say he's undeserving. Although you could argue there are better Kirby rep choices it's pretty clear Kirby deserves at least one newcomer.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Probably an imposter then. Oops.

In any case, I still don't understand why anyone would say he's undeserving. Although you could argue there are better Kirby rep choices it's pretty clear Kirby deserves at least one newcomer.
I remember writing a rant a few pages ago about how Kirby (especially modern Kirby) needs more representation, and how it should be Bandana Dee.

Welp. As if the Music theory wasn't already dead.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Quick PSA: Crunchii uploaded the main menu theme of ultimate early, which is likely why Youtube is down right now. He likely has a early copy and other people may or may not have access to it, so if you want to avoid leaks keep a eye out because they're likely coming soon.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Why is everyone freaking out on the leak thread? Did something happen?

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
Why is everyone freaking out on the leak thread? Did something happen?
I heard someone on twitter posted a picture of games he has access to before their release like Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee and Smash Ultimate. I don't know the user though, but I'm pretty sure other people like this guy already have the full game. They could literally leak everything!
We might also have news tomorrow for a direct.....hopefully.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Quick PSA: Crunchii uploaded the main menu theme of ultimate early, which is likely why Youtube is down right now. He likely has a early copy and other people may or may not have access to it, so if you want to avoid leaks keep a eye out because they're likely coming soon.
Welp. We NEED to get loud about Bandana Dee because Sakurai's about to decide DLC.

I heard someone on twitter posted a picture of games he has access to before their release like Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee ans Smash Ultimate. I don't know the user though, but I'm pretty sure other people like this guy already have the full game. They could literally leak everything!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I heard someone on twitter posted a picture of games he has access to before their release like Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee and Smash Ultimate. I don't know the user though, but I'm pretty sure other people like this guy already have the full game. They could literally leak everything!
THIS IS NOT A DRILL! BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR ANY AND ALL ROSTER LEAKS! WE ARE NOT PREPARED FOR THIS!!!!!!

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
THIS IS NOT A DRILL! BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR ANY AND ALL ROSTER LEAKS! WE ARE NOT PREPARED FOR THIS!!!!!!
Chandeelure Chandeelure can we make it a rule not to post the final roster on here. Even for people who do know, can we not say who is and isn't in? As for avoiding said leaks... I wish you all good luck.

Edit: And also, don't say anything about stages, item, assist trophies, modes, ANYTHING!!!!

Last edited:

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
Not only that but there's already a looped version of the Smash Ultimate menu theme posted on Youtube, which just crashed. It might have gotten a copyright strike as well so I don't think we have to worry about that. Just a heads up.
oops, :ultgreninja:'d.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Chandeelure Chandeelure can we make it a rule not to post the final roster on here. Even for people who do know, can we not say who is and isn't in? As for avoiding said leaks... I wish you all good luck.

Edit: And also, don't say anything about stages, item, assist trophies, modes, ANYTHING!!!!
While I respect those who avoid leaks. Please send them to me PLEASE!!!!

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

Yeah, we should respect the people who don't want spoilers.

If you want to discuss "leaks", you can do it in... well... the leaks thread lol.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
No need to panic about the menu theme. That was apparently allowed by Nintendo. We aren't in danger territory yet. Stay calm and believe in the Dee.

Acemania

Smash Apprentice
At this point, I don't even care if the final roster is spoiled for me, I just want to know the fate of our Bandana Boi as soon as possible.

Durnt

Smash Cadet
I wonder if he will have the back thrust attack he has in star allies cause that could be quite the deceptive move.

Last edited:

Awesomeperson159

Smash Apprentice
So Shokio has just declared Bandana Dee the worst possible character you could possibly add to Smash.

The last time he said that it was about Ridley...guess who we got? So Bandana Dee confirmed!?
Eh, don't listen to him. Someone will hate anything, no matter what it is. Humans are idiots like that. He obviously has the mob mentality among competitive players that "if my character can't get in, why should this character I don't know much about from a franchise I consider obscure despite its popularity get in?"
I swear every corner I turn that isn’t this thread, there’s hate for him.
Not everywhere, and besides, that's only because we're on the internet on a website for discussing Smash. Of course any toxicity would be magnified tenfold, and it's even worse because competitive players (which this site is full of) will, again, push for their character harder than casuals and be toxic towards any character which "lessens their most wanted's chances."
I wonder if he will have the back thrust attack he has in star allies cause that could be quite the deceptive move.
Alright, so assuming that Spear thrust is FTilt, there's this great tech called reversing your FTilt, and what it does is allow any character to do that with their FTilt, including Bandana Dee.

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
I'm so tired of leak culture in Smash hype. I wish people would stop making fake leaks and wasting time on thinking the most obvious fakes were real.

Let's just be hyped off of what we know, not what we don't.

MrArska

Smash Cadet
NNID
aapelix
Switch FC
SW 2908 1984 5094
I feel like the hate for Dee comes from two sources:
1: He’s not from the era where most current hardcore Smash fans were young/teenagers (nostalgia/good memories goes a long way for a character’s support)
Geno, Banjo, Skull Kid and Isaac all come from a timeframe during which I feel most current hardcore smash players were children or teenagers, which goes a long way for them in terms of memorability and support. Bandana Dee’s major appearances are much more recent, and a lot of smash fans don’t really know much about Kirby (which I feel like you need to do to see Bandan’s appeal) from what I’ve heard.

2: No currently big names in the Smash scene voice support for him.
The only one I can recount having any support was RelaxAlax, and even then it was more along the lines of “yeah sure”.
Major figures in the smash community are imo a big player in the support of potential Smash characters, and we really don’t have one.
Anyways, thank you for coming to my TED talk

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I feel like the hate for Dee comes from two sources:
1: He’s not from the era where most current hardcore Smash fans were young/teenagers (nostalgia/good memories goes a long way for a character’s support)
Geno, Banjo, Skull Kid and Isaac all come from a timeframe during which I feel most current hardcore smash players were children or teenagers, which goes a long way for them in terms of memorability and support. Bandana Dee’s major appearances are much more recent, and a lot of smash fans don’t really know much about Kirby (which I feel like you need to do to see Bandan’s appeal) from what I’ve heard.

2: No currently big names in the Smash scene voice support for him.
The only one I can recount having any support was RelaxAlax, and even then it was more along the lines of “yeah sure”.
Major figures in the smash community are imo a big player in the support of potential Smash characters, and we really don’t have one.
Anyways, thank you for coming to my TED talk
Yeah, I do feel like the characters with the most overall support have been characters that have either existed for a long time, or are Pokémon. It sometimes feels like quite a shame since I feel like Nintendo's still got plenty to offer with newer characters like Elma, Rex and Pyra, Bandana Dee, Springman, Captain Toad, and arguably Sylux. (although from what I've heard he's moreso got more buildup than anything and will likely get his major role in Metroid Prime 4, so he'd be very lucky to get in as DLC.) Not to mention some others.
Then again, likelihood for the base game probably also plays a role in what people talk about. So I can see why the majority of characters I just listed aren't talked about as much as others. If the character is deconfirmed, people will stop talking about them as well. (I can't blame them.)

I don't mean to hold anything against the older characters, not at all, but I suppose something I liked about smash 4's characters is that it still left the door open for both classic characters and newer characters/older characters that got a more recognizable role recently in its base roster such as Robin, Rosalina, Palutena, the Miis, and Shulk. DLC did this as well with its 4 newcomers.
Of course, we've already had a few newer characters from Inklings, Chrom, and Isabelle, and it can't be helped that the amount of newcomers is going to be rather small due to the crapton amount of content we're already getting.

When looking at the current newcomer cast for smash ultimate, only a third of them (:ultinkling:, :ultchrom:, :ultisabelle:) have been somewhat recent, while the others (:ultdaisy:, :ultridley:, :ultsimon:, :ultrichter:, (arguably :ultdarksamus:), :ultkrool:) are pretty much agreed to be classic characters.

Again, I don't mean to hold anything against classic characters, I particularly like what characters such as Isaac and Skull Kid could bring to the table, but I do get the feeling that sometimes people don't pay modern characters much thought unless they're from Pokémon, which is a shame. With the ballot confirmed to be used in ultimate, I can see why mostly classic characters are being discussed as they are by far the most famous. Dee just happened to (most likely) get a surprising amount of votes thanks to his roles in Rainbow Curse and Return to Dreamland, so he feels like a strange outlier in that regard.

As for "big name youtube support", I know that:
-Failboat, a Nintendo streamer (I believe mostly splatoon) hasn't really been too vocal about smash to my knowledge, but he has mentioned Bandana Dee as one of his most wanted on several occasions.
-Alpharad has also shown interest, but he's a much bigger Marx supporter.
-Vinesauce Vinny is kind of in the same boat as Alax, having various other characters he'd prefer to see but wouldn't mind Bandana Dee at all.
-Derrick from Gamexplain should also be mentioned, he's definitely shown his support for the boi.

Dee is definitely not a big name among the most famous nintendo/smash youtubers, but I don't think he's really unknown either. Not discussed as much? Yeah, that's probably true. :c

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah, I do feel like the characters with the most overall support have been characters that have either existed for a long time, or are Pokémon. It sometimes feels like quite a shame since I feel like Nintendo's still got plenty to offer with newer characters like Elma, Rex and Pyra, Bandana Dee, Springman, Captain Toad, and arguably Sylux. (although from what I've heard he's moreso got more buildup than anything and will likely get his major role in Metroid Prime 4, so he'd be very lucky to get in as DLC.) Not to mention some others.
Then again, likelihood for the base game probably also plays a role in what people talk about. So I can see why the majority of characters I just listed aren't talked about as much as others. If the character is deconfirmed, people will stop talking about them as well. (I can't blame them.)

I don't mean to hold anything against the older characters, not at all, but I suppose something I liked about smash 4's characters is that it still left the door open for both classic characters and newer characters/older characters that got a more recognizable role recently in its base roster such as Robin, Rosalina, Palutena, the Miis, and Shulk. DLC did this as well with its 4 newcomers.
Of course, we've already had a few newer characters from Inklings, Chrom, and Isabelle, and it can't be helped that the amount of newcomers is going to be rather small due to the crapton amount of content we're already getting.

When looking at the current newcomer cast for smash ultimate, only a third of them (:ultinkling:, :ultchrom:, :ultisabelle:) have been somewhat recent, while the others (:ultdaisy:, :ultridley:, :ultsimon:, :ultrichter:, (arguably :ultdarksamus:), :ultkrool:) are pretty much agreed to be classic characters.

Again, I don't mean to hold anything against classic characters, I particularly like what characters such as Isaac and Skull Kid could bring to the table, but I do get the feeling that sometimes people don't pay modern characters much thought unless they're from Pokémon, which is a shame. With the ballot confirmed to be used in ultimate, I can see why mostly classic characters are being discussed as they are by far the most famous. Dee just happened to (most likely) get a surprising amount of votes thanks to his roles in Rainbow Curse and Return to Dreamland, so he feels like a strange outlier in that regard.

As for "big name youtube support", I know that:
-Failboat, a Nintendo streamer (I believe mostly splatoon) hasn't really been too vocal about smash to my knowledge, but he has mentioned Bandana Dee as one of his most wanted on several occasions.
-Alpharad has also shown interest, but he's a much bigger Marx supporter.
-Vinesauce Vinny is kind of in the same boat as Alax, having various other characters he'd prefer to see but wouldn't mind Bandana Dee at all.
-Derrick from Gamexplain should also be mentioned, he's definitely shown his support for the boi.

Dee is definitely not a big name among the most famous nintendo/smash youtubers, but I don't think he's really unknown either. Not discussed as much? Yeah, that's probably true. :c
I know he's only really popular amongst the Smash community, but I believe Billybo10k mentioned he supported Bandanna Waddle Dee, too, but I might have misinterpreted what he said.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I know he's only really popular amongst the Smash community, but I believe Billybo10k mentioned he supported Bandanna Waddle Dee, too, but I might have misinterpreted what he said.
No that seems about right. During one of his rerates I remember him talking less about his actual chances and why he should be in the game.

Top Bottom