• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Honestly, when it comes to that thread, I care more about the want score. People are too bias to truly give an accurate chance score.

But for want, it's supposed to be bias. That's the point, so in my eyes

i did my bit, it did not help
You did help

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Done and done! Still, I'm kinda worried how things will go, considering what happened with Shantae's rating and the whole "Hat Goomba" thing. It'll probably be like any other rating, but still...
Tbf most of Shantae's issues were more one person jumping on everyone who had anything vaguely negative to say in their rating and losing their temper.

The ratings themselves were fairly decent if I remember right for both chance and want.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've tried writing a moveset for Bandana Waddle Dee. While I thought about using the Parasol attacks to fill out his moveset, his profile in Star Allies (which I saw when going through his moveset in the game) mentioned that he "sets himself apart from those carefree parasol holders", so I decided against it. Not sure how well the stage that I described fits the character, but it was an idea that I had, and I figured it would be more interesting than going with Cookie Country or Green Gardens.

Bandana Dee Gets a Starring Role!

His first three palette swaps are his palette swaps from Kirby Star Allies – yellow with a brown bandana and orange feet, sky blue with a dark blue bandana and light purple feet, and green with a dark green bandana and green feet. His other palette swaps are based on Dedede (red with a yellow bandana and yellow feet), Meta Knight (dark blue with a silvery bandana and dark purple feet), Marx (purple with a half-blue half-red bandana with white circles on it and brown feet), and Rick (white with a brown bandana and pink feet).

For a stage, I figured I’d try something different. Normally, characters tend to have stages from towards the beginning of their games, but that archetype is covered pretty thoroughly by Green Greens and Dream Land, along with Dream Land GB to a lesser extent. Instead, I’d like to focus on an aspect of Kirby that might not be expected of the series at first glance, but it’s something that fans are well aware of – the nightmarish final bosses. The stage is the Divine Terminus, designed as it is at the end of Guest Star Allies (which, as far as I know, is the first game where Bandana Dee can be player one). It’s a flat Final Destination-like stage, with a twist – occasionally, various final bosses from the Kirby series will show up in the background to attack the player. (or, if hazards are off, to hover back there menacingly – they won’t show up on the Battlefield or Final Destination versions of the stage) Nightmare can’t be summoned as an assist trophy on this stage, as he’s one of the hazards. Their order is random, though I’ll list them in order of their appearance in the Kirby games.

Nightmare appears in his wizard form, shooting stars out of his hand at the opponent. Given his origins as an NES boss, these are the easiest to avoid of the boss attacks Marx teleports around, using some attacks from his boss battle – I’m thinking that he’ll be smaller than the version that’s fought in World of Light and classic mode, for the sake of making him a less intrusive hazard.

Zero Two looms in the background, widening its eyes to shoot exploding energy balls at the stage. Queen Sectonia, fused with the Dream Stalk, is raised into view, summoning giant floating gems to act as platforms while using smaller flowers to act as cannons and blades. Star Dream lazily floats on screen, seemingly doing nothing until it charges up energy and fires a beam that fills half of the stage. After that, it floats around, summoning random knick-knacks to act as hazards.

The final hazard is Void Termina, which is seemingly content to watch the fighting at first. However, after a while, it roars, picking up the stage and throwing it into the air like Master Core’s giant form from Smash 4. It can also smash its fists onto the stage, creating shockwaves which cover the whole floor of the stage, though they move very slowly.

I intentionally left out Dark Matter and Magolor since they seem like other characters that people might want as DLC. I’m not sure how popular Marx is as a potential Smash Bros. character, but since he’s already a boss in Smash Bros. Ultimate, I figured he was fair game.

For his intro, Bandana Dee arrives on top of a stack of Kirby enemies – Bugzzy (on the bottom, carrying the group), Chilly, and Poppy Bros. Jr. Bandana Dee is pointing forward excitedly, but Bugzzy trips, sending the entire stack toppling over. The other three disappear in puffs of smoke, while Bandana Dee gets up, dusting himself off. For his idle animations, he holds up the spear, eyes sparkling as he looks at the point of it, and for another one, his bandana falls over his eyes and he pushes it back up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Much like Dedede, Bandana Dee can jump four times – he’s doing his best with his midair hops, but he’s not quite as good as Kirby or Meta Knight. Unless noted, his moves have a sweet spot at the end of the spear

A-->AA-->AAA: Bandana Dee thrusts his spear twice before using a Multi-Thrust (a rapid jab), ending with a spear jab that has a white aura around it which hits harder.

Forward A: Bandana Dee leans forward, jabbing with the butt of the spear; this move doesn’t have a sweet spot.

Up A: Skyward Thrust – Bandana Dee thrusts his spear straight up into the sky.

Down A: Ground Thrust – Bandana Dee slides along the ground before thrusting his sword upwards.

Forward Smash: for his Smash attacks, Bandana Dee borrows from the Staff moveset from Star Allies - as a result, fully charging them extends the range. For his Forward Smash attack, he swings the spear downwards starting over his head like the end of the Staff’s jab combo.

Up Smash: Bandana Dee’s spear extends upwards, stretching out to give it longer range than his up A, with a red aura around it.

Down Smash: L-R Jab – Bandana Dee’s spear is held in front of him horizontally as it stretches out on both sides – the tip of the spear is facing the same direction that Bandana Dee was, so does more damage and knockback.

Neutral Air: Bandana Dee spins his spear in a circular motion in front of himself (so it’s a circle from the player’s perspective), rapidly building up damage.

Forward Air: Bandana Dee stabs rapidly at a downwards angle, similar to the attack used by the staff after pole-vaulting (though without the extra range).

Back Air: Bandana Dee bends backwards, stabbing the spear behind him.

Up Air: Bandana Dee stabs his spear upwards, similar to his up A attack.

Down Air: Moon Drop – Bandana Dee spins horizontally before plummeting straight down, with his spear stabbing downwards

Dash Attack: sticking his spear into the ground, Bandana Dee pole-vaults, smacking into the opponent. When he lands, his spear disappears in a puff of smoke and reappears in his hand.

Wake-Up Attack: Bandana Dee spins the spear above his head similar to his recovery move, lifting himself back onto his feet.

Climb Attack: Bandana Dee swipes the spear at ankle-height for most fighters before climbing back on-stage.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grab: it’s basically the same as Kirby’s grab. Bandana Dee’s spear is holstered to his back somehow.

Pummel: the same as Kirby’s – he smacks the grabbed opponent with his free hand.

Forward Throw: borrowing a move from Knuckle Joe, he throws them forward using the Fighter ability’s Arm Throw move.

Back Throw: Bandana Dee uses a suplex, though like Dan Hibiki, he struggles with lifting the opponent first, with exaggerated sweat marks coming off of him.

Up Throw: sliding the spear underneath the opponent, Bandana Dee flings them into the air like he’s flipping a pancake.

Down Throw: setting the opponent on the ground, Bandana Dee punches the opponent with the same animation as he used in the Megaton Punch game from Kirby Super Star

Up Taunt: Bandana Dee spins around before raising his hand in the air, like what happens when you get a major collectible in Star Allies.

Side Taunt: Bandana Dee pulls out a glass of apple juice and drinks it through a straw, somehow.

Down Taunt: Bandana Dee plants his spear in the ground and sits against it before hopping back up, seemingly worried that he was caught napping.

B: Waddle Spear Throw. He tosses a spear in an arc. If this is held, it can become Waddle Triple Throw, where he throws three spears at once.

Up B: Waddle Copter. Bandana Dee spins his spear over his head, gaining some height before slowly descending. It’s more useful for horizontal recovery, much like Donkey Kong’s up B.

Side B: Friend Train – Bandana Dee’s bandana becomes a mix between a train conductor hat and a smokestack, as his eyes grow wide and sparkly. He dashes forward with a spherical aura surrounding him. However, without the power of friendship, the train has no fuel supply, so he stops after a short bit. Much like in Star Allies, this can let him run up walls, and you can jump during it, though you only get one jump before you hit the ground. This move has no sweet spot.

Down B: Sizzle Spear/Blizzard Spear/Zap Spear – Bandana Dee holds his spear into the air, and a heart outline appears above it. In that heart outline, icons for the fire, ice, and plasma abilities from Kirby Star Allies are cycled through, one at a time. Once the button is released, one of the aforementioned elements (fire, ice, or lightning) hits the spear, charging it up for a few seconds. While his spear is powered up like this, his attacks are a little slower, but his specials have additional effects. Blizzard Spear gives the biggest power boost and speed penalty, while Zap Spear gives the smallest power boost and speed penalty. The lightning from Zap Spear’s effects doesn’t do much damage or cause much knockback, to make up for its range.

• Sizzle Spear: Spear Throw leaves flames behind, Copter shoots out fireballs that fall to the ground as he flies around, and Friend Train shoots fireballs out of the smokestack

• Blizzard Spear: Spear Toss causes spikes of ice to sprout where Bandana Dee is, as well as where the spears land. Spear Copter causes icicles to fall straight down from the spear on either side of Bandana Dee. Friend Train leaves a trail of ice spikes behind Bandana Dee, though they disappear quickly. Still, it’s good for dealing with people who would dodge roll or spot dodge to avoid it.

• Zap Spear: Spear Throw and Spear Copter cause lightning bolts to strike the spear(s). (once in the case of Spear Throw, at regular intervals in the case of Spear Copter) For Friend Train, lightning strikes the smokestack as Bandana Dee runs.

Final Smash: Megaton Punch – Bandana Dee pulls large steel square weights out of hammerspace, dropping them on the ground. If this connects, it goes into a cinematic final smash, transporting the opponent(s) to a recreation of the Megaton Punch stage from Kirby Super Star, complete with a cheering crowd. Bandana Dee is up in the rafters, though now he’s in a similar style to Little Mac’s trailer from Smash 4 or the Manga Waddle Dee sticker from Planet Robobot (I figure the contrast between the ultra-dramatic shading and Dee’s harmless-looking design would be funny). His eye gleams, and he leaps from the rafter, delivering one punch (JAM Project music optional, but recommended) that floors the opponent(s), shatters the weights, and (as the camera zooms out to show) leaves a crack in Pop Star that’s visible from space.

For his victory poses, one of them would be his victory dance from Return to Dream Land that he does when you beat a level with him. This will likely be shortened since the Smash victory theme is shorter than the Kirby one. For another, he gets up on his tip-toes and waves to the crowd, like he does in the unlikely event that he wins at Megaton Punch. For a third, an idea that I have is that a bunch of regular Waddle Dees swarm him, only to toss him into the air in celebration.

Seeing as he’s already a Kirby character, he gets Kirby’s victory theme. If Kirby copies him, he gets Bandana Dee’s bandana and spear, and he can use Waddle Spear Throw (or Triple Throw).

Admittedly, his aerials aren't the most original here, but I didn't have a ton to work with - his down air and B were already built in, but aside from that, it seemed like I had to make stuff up.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Everyone's suggesting Cookie Country or Another Dimension for the stage, but I think Planet Earthfall would be a good fit. It's got a nice fall aesthetic that makes it stand out from the standard Green Greens-esque stages and fits with BWD's color palette, it's the first new planet you go to in Star Allies, and it could lend itself to a fairly distinct layout. Maybe it's not explicitly linked to him, but I think it could work.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
How would y'all feel about a Kirby Air Ride stage coming along with Bandana Dee? I would be thrilled to see that especially if the stage is City Trial or Checker Knights.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
How would y'all feel about a Kirby Air Ride stage coming along with Bandana Dee? I would be thrilled to see that especially if the stage is City Trial or Checker Knights.
I would love that!
(I liked Air Ride when I got the Gamecube from Ebay back in March.)

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Would be cool, if not a bit odd. Bandana Dee doesn't have much of a connection to Air Ride. It would make more sense to have a modern stage like Cookie Country or Planet Earthfall.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Personally, I don't really care much what stage is used as long as it's an original theme. I don't think we need another grassland, city, space area, or ancient ruin, for example.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I'd go for Another Dimension since that has been a recurrent location in the Kirby series since Return to Dreamland.
It would have many transition phases where the floor and walls take different shapes. And many of the traps or obstacles Another Dimension levels had in the Kirby games (And maybe some attacks from the Magolor fight) could be used as hazards.
Plus imagine the cameos of the Lor Starcutter, Galacta Knight or the Three Mage Sisters flying around in the background.

Yes, an Air Ride stage would be cool but that's giving up another opportunity to finally acknowledge a post-Sakurai Kirby game. It's been 18 years since Sakurai left the franchise already.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as post-Sakurai stages go, I think a great one would be level 2-2 from planet Robobot:

Its distinct to Kirby while being different from other stages of that franchise, has just enough of a connection to Bandanna Dee via the Waddle Dees in cars, and has some fun mechanics of having the vehicles potentially hitting you while also being usable as weapons if you can knock them into other fighters at the right time.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
As far as post-Sakurai stages go, I think a great one would be level 2-2 from planet Robobot:

Its distinct to Kirby while being different from other stages of that franchise, has just enough of a connection to Bandanna Dee via the Waddle Dees in cars, and has some fun mechanics of having the vehicles potentially hitting you while also being usable as weapons if you can knock them into other fighters at the right time.
Just imagine yeeting cars at other opponents...
(Would be hilarious and fun.)

SharkLord

Smash Hero

That would make for an amusing Sakurai presentation. "Oops, can't fight now. We need to wait for the light to turn green."

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Fans: Sakurai. Why are you introducing Waddle Dee abuse into Smash?

Sakurai: It was Kirby's request.
My headcannon is that none of the Kirby enemies really die, they just disappear so the stage doesn't become a sea of battered Waddle Dees. It's probably the equivalent to being a hamster in a ball, except everyone on the outside who touches your ball dies an explosive death.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
My headcannon is that none of the Kirby enemies really die, they just disappear so the stage doesn't become a sea of battered Waddle Dees. It's probably the equivalent to being a hamster in a ball, except everyone on the outside who touches your ball dies an explosive death.
its probably where all those waddle dee balls in star allies came from, the cars kept knocking them into piles

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Question of the day: What stage truly represents Bandana Dee? And when I say represent, I mean what embodies Dee's image?
It's not a perfect fit, but I did suggest he could use Planet Earthfall. The fall theme would fit his color palette and liking for apple juice nicely, and it's a modern Kirby stage-The first new planet in Star Allies, in fact! It could have a fairly distinct layout, and would lend itself to some nice cameos of all the Dream Friends.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So, uh, has everyone heard the theory that characters with little visual glitches are potentially being used as bases for the DLC characters to come? Well...

It likely won't amount to anything, but if glitching characters really do mean something, maybe we have a reason to be hopeful?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So, uh, has everyone heard the theory that characters with little visual glitches are potentially being used as bases for the DLC characters to come? Well...

It likely won't amount to anything, but if glitching characters really do mean something, maybe we have a reason to be hopeful?
Not now, confirmation bias...
Also, that video's from last year, so it probably doesn't amount to anything.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Not now, confirmation bias...
Also, that video's from last year, so it probably doesn't amount to anything.
Ah, didn't notice it's posting date. I suppose it could be possible that the second pass might've been being worked on last year, and not as far ahead as the first pass characters, but I wouldn't put much stock in that. Sorry about that. :facepalm:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Ah, didn't notice it's posting date. I suppose it could be possible that the second pass might've been being worked on last year, and not as far ahead as the first pass characters, but I wouldn't put much stock in that. Sorry about that. :facepalm:
Can't really blame you. Although it's kinda odd we've had to resort to searching for GLITCHES in order to get a potential hint at a character. 2020 really is a strange year...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Can't really blame you. Although it's kinda odd we've had to resort to searching for GLITCHES in order to get a potential hint at a character. 2020 really is a strange year...
Some are at least semi-reasonable, even if they ultimately lead to nowhere, but we considered a couple right and suddenly every glitch is a hint. The Daisy dress glitch is at least pretty blatant and noticeable, so there's some precedent. Again, though, it probably won't go anywhere.
Still, it's fun to come up with crackpot tinfoil hat theories, so we keep doing what we do.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I was actually surprised at how many people liked my Bandanna Dee post in Rate their chances. I expected to be badly recieved not because of fear but because i didn't hide my opinions on the matter, (namely me believing Sakubias beign a thing and seeing it as hypocritical AND openly disliking the echo route with Dixie)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I was actually surprised at how many people liked my Bandanna Dee post in Rate their chances. I expected to be badly recieved not because of fear but because i didn't hide my opinions on the matter, (namely me believing Sakubias beign a thing and seeing it as hypocritical AND openly disliking the echo route with Dixie)
I agree with you bro, same here on absolutely not wanting Echo Dixie. Dixie is too important and unique to be made into a Echo Fighter.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm surprised people think Dixie is best as an echo.
I don't see a lot of that.

I think its more of a Dark Samus situation, people just want them in and will take them any way they can.

Top Bottom