• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

FancySmash

Smash Lord
FancySmash FancySmash It seems more like the series needs to be relevant, not the character alone. DKC never stopped being relevant as is. Meanwhile, Golden Sun has yet to get a playable character, and it definitely wasn't relevant during Ultimate. It was lucky enough to get a lot of content, though. If Golden Sun relevant, even if Isaac wasn't there, he'd have a way better chances of getting in.

Take a look at our Castlevania characters for a good example of that; Castlevania was kept relevant for a while now(the tv show and Pachinko machines obviously don't tie to Simon or Richter, but the series is more important alone). If both didn't exist, which I still believe wouldn't really affect Simon and Richter getting in, the relevancy argument being dead would actually hold a lot more water. Right now, it really doesn't, especially for 3rd parties. So far all were currently relevant when added to Smash.

Which is ironic, since it was never mentioned once as a criteria towards them(just 1st parties. And we definitely see that relevancy has affected 1st parties before. Wolf was unfortunate timing because no new games were coming out soon. Falco probably had enough popularity and veteran status(via 2 games) to stay in, coupled with being a semi-clone. Lucas is an odd one, but no new Mother games, or even re-releases, were coming out soon. Ness obviously being cut would be silly since he was there first at that point. One thing was Melee, where Sakurai was more willing to cut characters, even those who were there before similar ones, but Brawl and 4 were a bit different. Other than semi-replacements, like Toon Link for Young Link, cuts were done a lot more carefully. Mewtwo is another oddball, as it's not clear why he wasn't in Brawl or why he was lower priority than most. He was probably harder to program at that point, after you got the major ones in. Jigglypuff obviously was an easier one to do so. So lower priority. Could also be Gamefreak or something).
Oh, yeah, I get it now. Relevance for the series (first party anyways) is almost a must have for some reason. It's as you said, Golden Sun hasn't gotten anything (aside from Isaac's assist trophy back, a hollow victory) almost certainly because of that. I think Advance Wars suffers a similar fate, that and it's sword series brother kinda has it's foot in the door.

As for Mewtwo, well, we know he had data leftover in Brawl, enough to apparently complete him for Project M. Brawl's development was likely the most hectic of the Smash games. It was delayed at one point, and Sonic's late inclusion didn't help much either.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh, yeah, I get it now. Relevance for the series (first party anyways) is almost a must have for some reason. It's as you said, Golden Sun hasn't gotten anything (aside from Isaac's assist trophy back, a hollow victory) almost certainly because of that. I think Advance Wars suffers a similar fate, that and it's sword series brother kinda has it's foot in the door.

As for Mewtwo, well, we know he had data leftover in Brawl, enough to apparently complete him for Project M. Brawl's development was likely the most hectic of the Smash games. It was delayed at one point, and Sonic's late inclusion didn't help much either.
I was more wondering why Mewtwo was lower priority. Though then again, if you want to fit as many in, Jigglypuff is significantly easier to make, while Mewtwo might still not be possible to make even then. Basically more or less what Sakurai meant when he said the 6 clones in Melee takes less time than a fully unique character. Same situation, I'd imagine. It still feels weird how Roy and Dr. Mario were cut, though. I can get the rest. Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik would require new models/lots of time due to a huge size difference, as well as balancing. The other two don't require as much time, more comparable to Jigglypuff. Pra_Mai is a "who knows what they were", and Dixie Kong's purpose was to be part of Diddy, but was scrapped due to not working right(meaning ample time was spent on her). If it had another delay, we might've gotten a bit more, I guess?

Anyway, Bandanna Waddle Dee at least is from a series still relevant, so he has good chances to get in right now. Even as DLC. Maybe base next game.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I was more wondering why Mewtwo was lower priority. Though then again, if you want to fit as many in, Jigglypuff is significantly easier to make, while Mewtwo might still not be possible to make even then. Basically more or less what Sakurai meant when he said the 6 clones in Melee takes less time than a fully unique character. Same situation, I'd imagine. It still feels weird how Roy and Dr. Mario were cut, though. I can get the rest. Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik would require new models/lots of time due to a huge size difference, as well as balancing. The other two don't require as much time, more comparable to Jigglypuff. Pra_Mai is a "who knows what they were", and Dixie Kong's purpose was to be part of Diddy, but was scrapped due to not working right(meaning ample time was spent on her). If it had another delay, we might've gotten a bit more, I guess?

Anyway, Bandanna Waddle Dee at least is from a series still relevant, so he has good chances to get in right now. Even as DLC. Maybe base next game.
Definitely, I'm not worried about Bandana Dee's relevance. Unless they decide to randomly replace him with one of the Dream Friends from Star Allies from now on (which I doubt will happen). I'd also imagine Bandana Dee would be easy to model, as they'd be able to use Kirby's model as a base.

As for who Prai_Mai is, it seems today that the choice comes down to either Random, or Plusle and Minun. Though you're right, there's no solid answer.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Extra points if he has his anime voice.
Dedede: Dat der is Kirbey! Now all you got to do is klobba dat der Kirbey!

3. I always found this one kinda weird since we've had :ultbowser: in Smash since the second game. Hasn't he had similar issues with size and proportions? Eh, actually, his size is never consistent anyways. :p
Even if his size was a issue, Sakurai would have still mange somehow to put him in Melee because he is the most iconic video game villain of all time. Regardless of what issues Ridley and K. Rool had, Bowser was simply too hard to ignore for Sakurai and the big-N due to being the archenemy of Mario the most iconic video game character of all time.

I notice Mewtwo didn't make it into 64 due to time constraints, made it into Melee as probably one of the last fighters due to being one of the later unlocks, got cut in Brawl due to time constraints, was the first Smash DLC character ever released for Smash in Smash 4, and is the one of the later unlocks in Ultimate. You look at all of those games and it appears that Mewtwo is lower priority for the developers due to either being one of the last unlocks or just being cut completely. The reason I think this is because Mewtwo is probably a really hard and advanced character to program in the game.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The reason I think this is because Mewtwo is probably a really hard and advanced character to program in the game.
Well, it was considered a really awkward character to play as competitively until Smash 4 patches finally buffed it.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, it was considered a really awkward character to play as competitively until Smash 4 patches finally buffed it.
I don't think the user was getting at the competitive factor.

Though I don't know if you're trying to correlate that "hard to add" equals "unbalanced"? Cause that makes a lot of sense. Less time to balance them due to being hard to add, along with any changes to them is harder to test out due to how easy it is to break the game with one slightly wrong piece of code changed.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Though I don't know if you're trying to correlate that "hard to add" equals "unbalanced"? Cause that makes a lot of sense. Less time to balance them due to being hard to add, along with any changes to them is harder to test out due to how easy it is to break the game with one slightly wrong piece of code changed.
That is correct.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So I was randomly searching Bandana Dee images on Google, and I came across this.
1564886255921.png
Honestly, if we did get a sequel anime to Kirby: Right Back at Ya, I'd totally be OK with this design for Bandana Dee who replaces Escargoon or Waddle Doo. Waddle Doo would make the most sense, as he's the leader of the Waddle Dee army in the show, and Bandana Dee, as the strongest Waddle Dee, fits that role perfectly, but I'd really like to see him as Dedede's right hand man. Of course, it'd be hard to see Escargoon go, but I'd be down with Escargoon making cameos every now and then.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So I was randomly searching Bandana Dee images on Google, and I came across this.
View attachment 233468
Honestly, if we did get a sequel anime to Kirby: Right Back at Ya, I'd totally be OK with this design for Bandana Dee who replaces Escargoon or Waddle Doo. Waddle Doo would make the most sense, as he's the leader of the Waddle Dee army in the show, and Bandana Dee, as the strongest Waddle Dee, fits that role perfectly, but I'd really like to see him as Dedede's right hand man. Of course, it'd be hard to see Escargoon go, but I'd be down with Escargoon making cameos every now and then.
personally id rather hed become kirby's bff

P47

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 233468
Pipe dream but I'd love it if Bandee and Adeleine were the new Tiff and Tuff in a Right Back at Ya 2

FancySmash

Smash Lord
personally id rather hed become kirby's bff
I wouldn't mind Bandana being fruends with Kirby.
Pipe dream but I'd love it if Bandee and Adeleine were the new Tiff and Tuff in a Right Back at Ya 2
Dang, you guys are right. I keep forgetting that Bandana Dee is Kirby's friend too. Man, he really is in a weird position. I guess in this hypothetical instance of a continuation of the show, he'd be similar to Meta Knight, where he "works" for Dedede, but is also Kirby's friend. The only difference would be that Bandana Dee would have misgivings about hurting the king, unlike Meta Knight who will casually kick Dedede's vehicle down a slope if he gets in the way.

I guess I keep forgetting about Bandana Dee and Kirby's relationship because of games like Return to Dreamland or subgames like Revenge of the King, where he's most certainly on Dedede's side. Hey, maybe it's Bandana Dee who helped bridge the relationship between Kirby and Dedede to make them more friends than enemies...

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Dang, you guys are right. I keep forgetting that Bandana Dee is Kirby's friend too. Man, he really is in a weird position. I guess in this hypothetical instance of a continuation of the show, he'd be similar to Meta Knight, where he "works" for Dedede, but is also Kirby's friend. The only difference would be that Bandana Dee would have misgivings about hurting the king, unlike Meta Knight who will casually kick Dedede's vehicle down a slope if he gets in the way.

I guess I keep forgetting about Bandana Dee and Kirby's relationship because of games like Return to Dreamland or subgames like Revenge of the King, where he's most certainly on Dedede's side. Hey, maybe it's Bandana Dee who helped bridge the relationship between Kirby and Dedede to make them more friends than enemies...
Now that you mention it, Dedede did end up being less of a villain once Bandana Dee started showing up. Even in Revenge of the King, Dedede only wanted to beat Kirby to put a definitive end to their rivalry; nothing actually evil.

As for an Anime reboot, I would make it center around the cast we have in Star Allies, with maybe a few additions (spin-offs, RBaY originals, new characters. etc.), maybe with episodes about each of the dream friends. If we had 20 Episodes, we'd have 13 episodes dedicated to the Dream Friends, a pilot episode, a 2-part finale and 5 episodes left over. I think that would let us see different sides to those characters, while leaving the possibility open for character interactions.

(also do we know if RBaY is even canon?)

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Now that you mention it, Dedede did end up being less of a villain once Bandana Dee started showing up. Even in Revenge of the King, Dedede only wanted to beat Kirby to put a definitive end to their rivalry; nothing actually evil.

As for an Anime reboot, I would make it center around the cast we have in Star Allies, with maybe a few additions (spin-offs, RBaY originals, new characters. etc.), maybe with episodes about each of the dream friends. If we had 20 Episodes, we'd have 13 episodes dedicated to the Dream Friends, a pilot episode, a 2-part finale and 5 episodes left over. I think that would let us see different sides to those characters, while leaving the possibility open for character interactions.

I'd certainly want it to go on for more than 20 episodes. I mean, Pokemon is still going on today. Granted, Kirby isn't as big as Pokemon, but it's still got some major clout.

As for how canon RBaY is, well, Water Kirby first debuted in the anime, and Mass attack had some... noteworthy appearances.
1564966454948.png
1564966516918.png

Not to mention Macho Dedede in Star Allies, and the anime castle in Squeak Squad, and heck, all of Kirby Air Ride's soundtrack comes from the Japanese version of RBaY. I guess in some way it is canon, but in a very, very weird way.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well id say say dedede was never truly evil just very very selfish

P47

Smash Apprentice
well id say say dedede was never truly evil just very very selfish
imo he absolutely was a villain in the very first game (even if what he did is nowhere near the level of Dark Matter, Marx, Sectonia post mirror etc) but only then. Hell, he's pretty much a hero nowadays

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
imo he absolutely was a villain in the very first game (even if what he did is nowhere near the level of Dark Matter, Marx, Sectonia post mirror etc) but only then. Hell, he's pretty much a hero nowadays
The original and Spring Breeze for him being a villain, which are pretty much the same thing, story-wise, but yeah, I would not consider him a bad guy anymore. Taking that into account, it triggers me that Dedede and Meta Knight are included in tomorrow's Heroes Vs. Villains tourney (as I would presume villains) when they aren't even villains anymore, while Kirby isn't allowed in, who isn't only considered the Hero of Dream Land, but the Hero of World of Light!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah he’s pretty nice for a series villain

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
To be honest, I'm still surprised that Dark Matter has only appeared just now as a spirit. For being such a huge Kirby antagonist, it's crazy that it pretty much has minimal relevance in smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To be honest, I'm still surprised that Dark Matter has only appeared just now as a spirit. For being such a huge Kirby antagonist, it's crazy that it pretty much has minimal relevance in smash.
could be cause its more of an antagonistic force rather than a character, theres quite often something different in control

P47

Smash Apprentice
It's also pretty crazy that only DMS is a spirit. Dark Matter's true form, Zero, 02, and Void Termina are all absent from the game for some reason

Also happy Waddle Dee Day!

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Happy Waddle Day, everyone!

A precious reminder that we (aside from HAL) at least care about Bandana Dee and his wonderful Waddle Dee friends.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Happy orange blob day. And that reminds me for what ever reason when do you guys think the next Kirby game will come

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Happy National Waddle Day! Let's hope someday Bandana Dee can do the impossible and rise above the haters and the bias.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Is the color theory still relevant? Because if so, Blue and Orange are the only colors left. Which can be exciting or disappointing if you think about who falls into the Orange category. But the Blue? No idea...

FancySmash

Smash Lord
What do y'all think of Kirby moveset and could it better.
Kirby's current moveset? Personally, I think Smash 4's custom moves would've been a perfect opportunity to see more copy abilities for his moves. Imagine:
1. Final Cutter
2. Wing Shuttle Loop
3. Jet Jump
Those would've made great recovery options easy.

Also, I expect conversation to pick up again if we get a second fighter pass that's all Nintendo characters. At that point, I'd fully expect spirits back on the table.

P47

Smash Apprentice
What do y'all think of Kirby moveset and could it better.
Pipe dream but I've always liked the idea of making his moveset an amalgamation of copy ability moves

Neutral Special: No change
Side Special: Cutter Boomerang
Down Special: No change
Up Special: High Jump
F-Smash: Hammer Flip
D-Smash: Spark Attack
U-Smash: Water Geyser
N-Air: Ice Sprinkle
F-Air: Beam Whip

As for how it stands now I'd tweak inhale so that it's faster and more projectiles spit out stars (and the ones that don't shouldn't immobilize you for an entire second and only heal 1%)

Top Bottom