• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Has he? I mean, think about this logically: In Brawl, there was very little post-Sakurai content he could even pull from. Canvas Curse and Squeak Squad (I know what you're thinking: "Where's Amazing Mirror?" However, Sakurai did work on Mirror, even if it was in a lesser role). And SS got a full track, and partial appearance in the Boss Medley in Brawl. Also of note, he gave HAL Labs the Halberd model he made for Brawl for them to use in Super Star Ultra. For Smash 4, there was: CC, SS, SSU, Epic Yarn, Mass Attack, and Return to Dream Land. HOWEVER: Work on Smash 4 began approximately the end of 2011. Only about a month and a half to two months after Return released. For that fourth character slot, there were three logical choices: Bandana Waddle Dee, Magolor, and Galacta Knight. BWD and Magolor were unproven in popularity by that point (and hell, BWD didn't even have a name yet, he was just Waddle Dee), so I daresay at the time of the Smash 4 project plan, Galacta Knight was the most likely, and even then, he had only appeared in two games. Not a whole lot to go off of. It is unfortunate that we lost the Epic Yarn stage, which would have helped, but it's unfair to call Sakurai biased against Kirby for not having one stage. So again, he did the best he could with the content available to him: Magolor, the Lor Starcutter, and Galacta all made it in as trophies, MK got a Galacta-inspired alt (which wasn't great, but it was something), Kirby got his Ultra Sword Final Smash, and some Return to Dream Land and Triple Deluxe tracks were in the base-game. Bandana Waddle Dee shot up in popularity towards late 2014-early 2015, which helped in the ballot, but said ballot was never meant for Smash 4. Even then, with the DLC, we got a returning Kirby stage, with more Triple Deluxe tracks. And while BWD isn't in the base-game for Ultimate, he has perhaps the biggest chance of any Nintendo first-party right now for DLC. So it's a bit unfair to say he's been shafting the Kirby series since Brawl, since there was very little pull from in Brawl.
Nintendo's departments are allowed to work together on projects, so release dates are irrelevant. And popularity plays no role in how the pick fighters, hence Bayonetta, Corrin, Wii Fit Trainer, etc. There was a lot of post-sakurai stages to pick from, and they chose one pre-Sakurai stage. Kirby has been shafted in the DLC and the ssbu base game, despite undeniable popularity in the series over other picks like Fire Emblem, Bayonettta, etc.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Nintendo's departments are allowed to work together on projects, so release dates are irrelevant.
Are they? Release dates are why Rex is a Mii costume and is highly likely to not be DLC.
And popularity plays no role in how the pick fighters, hence Bayonetta, Corrin, Wii Fit Trainer, etc.
Well... Wii Fit was incredibly popular, so it's hard to say that the trainer was an unjustified pick. Wii Fit sold over 22 million units, with Wii Fit Plus selling over 21 million. So at least 43 million sales over two games. It makes perfect sense to represent the series in some capacity.
There was a lot of post-sakurai stages to pick from, and they chose one pre-Sakurai stage.
Consider the following: The three Smash 64 stages that were Smash 4 DLC (Dream Land, Peach's Castle, Hyrule Castle) were far easier to bring back than invent entirely new stages, plus those stages were a test to see if the game could handle the stage scaling in preparation for the Switch, which was obviously a success, as evident by the 103 stages in the base-game.
Kirby has been shafted in the DLC and the ssbu base game
The DLC was practically decided from the start. Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy were all tests, bringing back before Everyone is Here!, and remember how the files for Cloud, and Bayo were discovered very early into the lifespan of the ballot, meaning that negotiations to get the characters into the game were completely uninfluenced by the ballot. Bayo was more than likely included as incentive by Nintendo to have Bayo 2 be Nintendo-exclusive. As for the base-game, if he was really biased against Kirby, would he be the sole survivor in the World of Light trailer? Would he have been one of the few survivors in the Subspace Emissary?
despite undeniable popularity in the series over other picks like Fire Emblem, Bayonettta, etc.
While I can agree with you here about the undeniable popularity, something important needs to be kept in mind. While Sakurai has been called biased in favour of these series, it's worse with Kirby, since he's practically at a Morton's Fork:
If he starts including more Kirby content, people will start calling him biased in favour of the series, and shout him down, while not caring that it's from after he left HAL. Whereas if he doesn't, he gets the exact opposite: he's biased against the series. It's practically a lose-lose for him.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
While I can agree with you here about the undeniable popularity, something important needs to be kept in mind. While Sakurai has been called biased in favour of these series, it's worse with Kirby, since he's practically at a Morton's Fork:
If he starts including more Kirby content, people will start calling him biased in favour of the series, and shout him down, while not caring that it's from after he left HAL. Whereas if he doesn't, he gets the exact opposite: he's biased against the series. It's practically a lose-lose for him.
I wonder if this is the partial reason why Nintendo gave him a list of newcomers to pick from for DLC; finally address the issue and rip off that band-aid once and for all, and fully accept responsibility for it if anyone cries foul.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Are they? Release dates are why Rex is a Mii costume and is highly likely to not be DLC.
Smash 4 was in development after RrdL. Smash Ultimate was in development at the same tine as XC2, meaning Rex was finished after the roster was decided.
Well... Wii Fit was incredibly popular, so it's hard to say that the trainer was an unjustified pick. Wii Fit sold over 22 million units, with Wii Fit Plus selling over 21 million. So at least 43 million sales over two games. It makes perfect sense to represent the series in some capacity.
But were there requests for the fitness trainer to be a fighting character?
Consider the following: The three Smash 64 stages that were Smash 4 DLC (Dream Land, Peach's Castle, Hyrule Castle) were far easier to bring back than invent entirely new stages, plus those stages were a test to see if the game could handle the stage scaling in preparation for the Switch, which was obviously a success, as evident by the 103 stages in the base-game.
I'm talking about the base game. We have like 3 generic Mario overworld stages and a few other boring, uninteresting stages that could have been something more. It's not just Kirby, it's just that the stage selection in general was pretty stale in Smash 4.
The DLC was practically decided from the start. Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy were all tests, bringing back before Everyone is Here!, and remember how the files for Cloud, and Bayo were discovered very early into the lifespan of the ballot, meaning that negotiations to get the characters into the game were completely uninfluenced by the ballot. Bayo was more than likely included as incentive by Nintendo to have Bayo 2 be Nintendo-exclusive. As for the base-game, if he was really biased against Kirby, would he be the sole survivor in the World of Light trailer? Would he have been one of the few survivors in the Subspace Emissary?
Sure, the DLC may have been planned from the start, but that doesn't deny the fact that no one wanted some of those fighters.
As for the story, this argument has been discussed before. Sakurai doesn't write the story, and he doesn't tell the story writers to put certain characters in the spotlight because he created them. The writer chose Kirby to survive most likely because he's a simple and easy to learn fighter to start out with.
Hopefully not in 2018. It's out job to raise awareness and let people know that Sakurai can't be biased for adding fighters in. For example, some people complaining about Kirby newcomers when we have seven god**** Fire Emblem fighters is childish and immature. We have to remind people about these facts.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Smash 4 was in development after RrdL. Smash Ultimate was in development at the same tine as XC2, meaning Rex was finished after the roster was decided.
Smash 4 was in development barely after Return to Dream Land. Again, that's not enough time to see which characters from there are popular enough to warrant a Smash spot. As I said, out of the three most likely characters, two were too new to fully gauge, and one didn't even have a proper name. We didn't get a new Kirby character in Smash 4 because, well... there was simply nowhere to pull a new, popular Kirby character from. Not because of bias.
But were there requests for the fitness trainer to be a fighting character?
The series was going to receive representation in some way. And it was either the trainer, or the balance board. Whether she specifically was requested was irrelevant, considering the series has sold more in two games than the entire Kirby series. She was just the easiest to make a fighter with the assets available.
I'm talking about the base game. We have like 3 generic Mario overworld stages and a few other boring, uninteresting stages that could have been something more. It's not just Kirby, it's just that the stage selection in general was pretty stale in Smash 4.
Well, that can't be chalked down to bias against one series if the entire stage list was lacking.
As for the story, this argument has been discussed before. Sakurai doesn't write the story, and he doesn't tell the story writers to put certain characters in the spotlight because he created them. The writer chose Kirby to survive most likely because he's a simple and easy to learn fighter to start out with.
I mean, Mario is a simple and easy to learn fighter. Pit is a simple and easy to learn fighter. Neither of them survived Tabuu in the SSE.
Hopefully not in 2018. It's out job to raise awareness and let people know that Sakurai can't be biased for adding fighters in. For example, some people complaining about Kirby newcomers when we have seven god**** Fire Emblem fighters is childish and immature. We have to remind people about these facts.
Can't be biased for adding people in? Then it's hardly fair to call him biased for not doing so, when there has only really been one missed opportunity for him to include a new Kirby character. The ballot, which is what most people were using to get fan feedback, was not meant for Smash 4, which is why none of the popular ballot choices actually made it into Smash 4.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Smash 4 was in development barely after Return to Dream Land. Again, that's not enough time to see which characters from there are popular enough to warrant a Smash spot. As I said, out of the three most likely characters, two were too new to fully gauge, and one didn't even have a proper name. We didn't get a new Kirby character in Smash 4 because, well... there was simply nowhere to pull a new, popular Kirby character from. Not because of bias.
*Corrin. Already decided before her game even came out.
Well, that can't be chalked down to bias against one series if the entire stage list was lacking.
The Epic Yarn stage would have been better than Wooly World, but whatever.
I mean, Mario is a simple and easy to learn fighter. Pit is a simple and easy to learn fighter. Neither of them survived Tabuu in the SSE.
If they chose Mario, it would be seen as a classic Nintendo move. And they won't star a character who has appeared in more games outside of their own series. Kirby was probably the best choice because he is literally the most simple character: just a pink ball. The choice of picking Kirby was most likely for pure simplicity for new players and not out of bias or guilty pleasure.
Can't be biased for adding people in? Then it's hardly fair to call him biased for not doing so, when there has only really been one missed opportunity for him to include a new Kirby character. The ballot, which is what most people were using to get fan feedback, was not meant for Smash 4, which is why none of the popular ballot choices actually made it into Smash 4.
There could have been a newcomer in the base game and DLC for smash 4, and he base game for Ultimate.

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
*Corrin. Already decided before her game even came out.
Decided for DLC. Which is handled differently than the base-games. And the files for Corrin were added a mere 11 days before the game released in Japan. You could say the same for Roy, but nobody complained that he literally debuted in a Smash Bros game.
If they chose Mario, it would be seen as a classic Nintendo move. And they won't star a character who has appeared in more games outside of their own series. Kirby was probably the best choice because he is literally the most simple character: just a pink ball. The choice of picking Kirby was most likely for pure simplicity for new players and not out of bias or guilty pleasure.
Well, Pit has appeared in three non-Smash games. Kid Icarus, KI: Of Myths and Monsters, and KI: Uprising. And he has appeared in three Smash games. And I don't see what would be bad about "a classic Nintendo move". Kirby, Mario, or Pit would all have been fair game to start with.
There could have been a newcomer in the base game and DLC for smash 4, and he base game for Ultimate.
There was no decided upon fourth main Kirby character as of the Smash 4 project plan. Sure, BWD had just made his first playable role, but that's exactly that: first playable role. He didn't have a name, which would make his odds incredibly slim for base Smash 4. So that leaves Magolor, or Galacta Knight. And just like BWD, Magolor had very little to pull from at that time. He was basically just a final boss at that point, no different from Marx, Drawcia, or Nightmare. So that would have left Galacta Knight. And he is of dubious canonicity. Even aside from that fact, he still only had two major appearances by that point, so there were basically no... sensical Kirby character choices to make for base Smash 4. And again, for the DLC, three were returning veterans, and the never-intended-for-Smash 4 ballot ruled out any DLC choices not chosen by Nintendo. So logically speaking, base-game Ultimate has been the only missed opportunity for a sensical Kirby newcomer.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Decided for DLC. Which is handled differently than the base-games. And the files for Corrin were added a mere 11 days before the game released in Japan. You could say the same for Roy, but nobody complained that he literally debuted in a Smash Bros game.
Sakurai stated that Corrin was already indevelopment before her game's release, and was added purely for the purpose of promoting fates, since Nintendo was worried it wouldn't sell well (since it was poorly written). Corrin was an advertisement and they had no second thoughts about it. If Sakurai knew people wanted another Kirby newcomer and acted on it, they would have contacted HAL and discussed newcomer options.
Well, Pit has appeared in three non-Smash games. Kid Icarus, KI: Of Myths and Monsters, and KI: Uprising. And he has appeared in three Smash games. And I don't see what would be bad about "a classic Nintendo move". Kirby, Mario, or Pit would all have been fair game to start with.
I'm also considering all of the cameo appearences they make in other games (Wooly World, Mario Maker, etc). And if Nintendo decided upon Mario, it would be considered Mario bias. If they chose Link, it would be considered Zelda bias. If they chose Pikachu, it would be viewed as Pokemon bias. No matter who they chose, there were going to be repercussions. Kirby was probably decided for his visual simplicity and easy to learn playstyle.
There was no decided upon fourth main Kirby character as of the Smash 4 project plan. Sure, BWD had just made his first playable role, but that's exactly that: first playable role. He didn't have a name, which would make his odds incredibly slim for base Smash 4. So that leaves Magolor, or Galacta Knight. And just like BWD, Magolor had very little to pull from at that time. He was basically just a final boss at that point, no different from Marx, Drawcia, or Nightmare. So that would have left Galacta Knight. And he is of dubious canonicity. Even aside from that fact, he still only had two major appearances by that point, so there were basically no... sensical Kirby character choices to make for base Smash 4. And again, for the DLC, three were returning veterans, and the never-intended-for-Smash 4 ballot ruled out any DLC choices not chosen by Nintendo. So logically speaking, base-game Ultimate has been the only missed opportunity for a sensical Kirby newcomer.
Again, if they truly wanted a Kirby newcomer, they could have discussed it with HAL and come up with multiple solutions. But they didn't. They didn't want a Kirby newcomer, despite it's exponentially growing popularity and success. The only reason that can possibly explain this is Sakurai worrying that people would go nuts again and scapegoat Kirby for their most wanted not getting in, like they did in Brawl.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If I get to use MY Kirby bias I want Dee, Adeline, and Susie in! Complete the Kirby 64 gang and add my favorite modern Kirby character!

Hire me Sakurai!

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
If I get to use MY Kirby bias I want Dee, Adeline, and Susie in! Complete the Kirby 64 gang and add my favorite modern Kirby character!

Hire me Sakurai!
Yeets the entire Kirby cast into the game

Sounds good!
(Legit though, I want Dee, Adeline, Marx, Magolor, Gooey, and Susie. Sectonia too, just for sum jank).

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
Mog, Keebey, calm down! Does it really matter how Sakurai chose characters for a game that came out four years ago since he didn't even pick the DLC this time? I agree with Shadow Keebey, personally, but that also does not matter.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Again, if they truly wanted a Kirby newcomer, they could have discussed it with HAL and come up with multiple solutions. But they didn't. They didn't want a Kirby newcomer, despite it's exponentially growing popularity and success. The only reason that can possibly explain this is Sakurai worrying that people would go nuts again and scapegoat Kirby for their most wanted not getting in, like they did in Brawl.
I feel like you are really grasping at straws here I wont lie.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Yeah...how would Kirby even block the chances of newcomers from other series when it hasn't even gotten anyone new since Brawl?
That answers what I said.

Brawl was the first game to have the assist trophy, which murdered many popular fighters. People used the inclusion of Meta Knight and King Dedede as something to blame for their most wanted not getting in, saying they "stole their spots." They didn't. There is no fighter slot idea. But people still blamed Sakurai for their inclusion.

In 2011/2012, Kirby was popular as ever, especially after the success of RtdL. There were plenty of reasons to add another Kirby newcomer, with several choices to choose from. But there was no Kirby newcomer. Sakurai later released a statement, saying there was "no bias" toward Kirby in the Smash development. Coincidence? I think not. If people were so on the fringe after Brawl, he probably took the same measures he used in Melee when developing Smash 4, and released a statement to ease people up.

If you don't remember, some people blamed Sakurai for Kirby being top tier in Smash 64. For that reason alone, Sakurai make Kirby the absolute worst in Melee, as well as cutting Meta Knight from the base roster, despite him being popular in Japan. Kirby has remained bottom tier since then. Again, in Brawl, people unfairly called Sakurai bias, and he took the same measures in Smash 4.

However, people are now abusing the Sakurai bias argument to say that Kirby deserves no newcomers, even in 2018, and some have gone to say that Kirby will never deserve a newcomer. The real people who are grasping at straws are the ones who claim that Brawl/Ultimate's story are "Sakurai bias" and make Kirby undeserving of a newcomer. Or the people who say that Dee isn't a major Kirby fighter, and "can't you just be happy that you have the major 3 Kirby characters?"

TL;DR: There were many reasons for there to be Kirby newcomers in Smash 4/Ultimate, but there aren't. Sakurai is showing signs of succumbing to the bias arguments that were made after Smash 64. Unless this is some major coincidence and he had other, non-bias related reasons not to include a Kirby newcomer, it seems like he's just too afraid to add a new Kirby fighter in fear of people calling him biased.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That answers what I said.

Brawl was the first game to have the assist trophy, which murdered many popular fighters. People used the inclusion of Meta Knight and King Dedede as something to blame for their most wanted not getting in, saying they "stole their spots." They didn't. There is no fighter slot idea. But people still blamed Sakurai for their inclusion.

In 2011/2012, Kirby was popular as ever, especially after the success of RtdL. There were plenty of reasons to add another Kirby newcomer, with several choices to choose from. But there was no Kirby newcomer. Sakurai later released a statement, saying there was "no bias" toward Kirby in the Smash development. Coincidence? I think not. If people were so on the fringe after Brawl, he probably took the same measures he used in Melee when developing Smash 4, and released a statement to ease people up.

If you don't remember, some people blamed Sakurai for Kirby being top tier in Smash 64. For that reason alone, Sakurai make Kirby the absolute worst in Melee, as well as cutting Meta Knight from the base roster, despite him being popular in Japan. Kirby has remained bottom tier since then. Again, in Brawl, people unfairly called Sakurai bias, and he took the same measures in Smash 4.

However, people are now abusing the Sakurai bias argument to say that Kirby deserves no newcomers, even in 2018, and some have gone to say that Kirby will never deserve a newcomer. The real people who are grasping at straws are the ones who claim that Brawl/Ultimate's story are "Sakurai bias" and make Kirby undeserving of a newcomer. Or the people who say that Dee isn't a major Kirby fighter, and "can't you just be happy that you have the major 3 Kirby characters?"

TL;DR: There were many reasons for there to be Kirby newcomers in Smash 4/Ultimate, but there aren't. Sakurai is showing signs of succumbing to the bias arguments that were made after Smash 64. Unless this is some major coincidence and he had other, non-bias related reasons not to include a Kirby newcomer, it seems like he's just too afraid to add a new Kirby fighter in fear of people calling him biased.
Damn, so we're stuck on a stalemate until someone new is chosen to succeed him, aren't we?

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Smash 6 has no story again, given these points, although there better not be a Smash Tour 2 as a result...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I almost feel like Story makes the game longer to develop.
I mean, Brawl came out 7 long years after Melee....
Maybe, but then again Ultimate only took about 4 years. Plus it may have less cutscenes anyways.

I wouldn't mind the lack of story next time though, it's hard to top an angelic being killing all life in existence. :p

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Maybe, but then again Ultimate only took about 4 years. Plus it may have less cutscenes anyways.

I wouldn't mind the lack of story next time though, it's hard to top an angelic being killing all life in existence. :p

Yeah. Maybe next time they can focus on the roster only, since all other mechanics of the game they improved upon from Smash 4 are perfect.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I was playing the smash ultimate demo and I evolved the waddle dee spirit into bandana dee. With it equipped tipper attacks did more damage.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah. Maybe next time they can focus on the roster only, since all other mechanics of the game they improved upon from Smash 4 are perfect.
Exactly, the main appeal for me this time (besides new additions, tons of stages and music) is the quality of life improvements and handicaps. On one final note on this topic:

Ultimate's theme: "Everyone is here!"
Next game's theme: "Everyone else is coming!"

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650

It took less than 4. More like 2-3 because development didn't start till some months after Bayo released for 4 in 2016.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I was playing the smash ultimate demo and I evolved the waddle dee spirit into bandana dee. With it equipped tipper attacks did more damage.
Considering your history regarding this character I am going to assume you are trolling and if so can you just get lost and do something actually worth your time, cheers.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Seeing as the user has bashed people for supporting Bandanna Waddle Dee and compared him to a Goomba with a hat, I somehow doubt it.
Yeh, go play the demo/ game instead of just posting online about it.
Waddle Dee is a novice spirit.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Considering your history regarding this character I am going to assume you are trolling and if so can you just get lost and do something actually worth your time, cheers.
??? What.

Why is this being so poorly received?

This didnt even seem like an insulting thing.
It was even shown in the direct that spirits evolve and grow.

Friggin weirdos.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
my dad works for Nintendo and told me that if you hold x while selecting Kirby it unlocks Keeby whose up b is final cutter but with a golf club

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Dont believe me.
Go play the game instead of only posting online about it.
Could you post pictures or something? You probably understand that people might be reluctant to trust an anonymous person on the internet with zero evidence.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
To change the topic, I made a Bandana Dee moveset finally.

Standard Attacks:

Jab - Pokes his spear, turns into rapid pokes if held
Dash Attack - Twirls his Parasol around in front of him while skidding forward
Up Tilt - A simple upwards spear jab
Forward Tilt - A whack with a closed parasol
Down Tilt - The iconic skid and kick Kirby does to break blocks in his games, it is unrepresented in Kirby's moveset and Dee can do it too

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral - Spins his spear in a circle around him
Up - Opens up his parasol to hit above
Down - A downwards spike with his spear
Forward - The neutral beam attack with a beam
Back - The dashing beam attack which makes a sort of 'vortex' I guess from the Beam ability

Smash Attacks:

Forward - He uses the cannon from RtDL which creates a small explosion with it blowing up
Up - He uses the horn from RtDL to create a field of rainbow coloured water which damages
Down - He jumps in the Chumbrella from Star Allies and spins it downwards around

Grab Inputs:

Grab - He uses his beam to create a large electric ball which holds someone in place
Pummel - He shocks the beam
Up Throw - He shoots the ball upwards
Forward Throw - He shoots the ball forwards
Back Throw - He extends the beam behind him and whacks the other fighter on to the ground
Down Throw - He spins the beam around him with the fighter still attached, letting go and sending the fighter flying

Special Attacks:

Neutral - He throws a spear, can be charged to throw 3
Up - Spear Copter!
Side - Cannon mounts on his head and he can rapid fire pink balls for a few seconds while still moving around, the balls have a short range however and the move must recharge!
Down - Assist Star, a risky move. Bandana Dee gradually recovers health while holding it by 1% each time quite quickly however if another fighter attacks him while he is performing this move they will recover twice the amount Dee did and Dee will get hurt!

Final Smash!!! - Megaton Punch!!!

Feedback would be awesome!

Top Bottom