• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Ban completely or ban nothing"

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
How are you going to buff a character like Ganondorf?

Also, I don't really see how some of the rules meant to limit MK (like the stalling rule) are even possible to enforce. It seems like they were doomed to fail from the beginning.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Joshu and I used a rule called "punch time". 3 times a match, you were allowed to call punch time and were able to get a free warlock punch on an unshielded opponent from wherever they hit the ground.

(MK was still good vs. him, he could jump and tornado before he hit the ground and then go to center stage so he lived longer)

Nicole

Smash Champion
I know, I know, I have no way to prove this, but if MK is just flat-out banned, brawl will be majorly hurt.

More diversity? Less angered players? Less stalling? Maybe.

Less competitve respect, thus competitive following? Definitely. Banning a character that is in the same roster set as everyone else makes the game look too unbalanced. Don't "lawl Akuma" this, as we all know he doesn't fit with the above statement.

If MK must be limited, do it, but you must limit him before banning him. Banning should always be the last case scenario. OP knows what he is talking about.
OFMG!!
NOOOOOOO the Street Fighter community will all think we're SCRUUBBBBSZZZZZZZ.

BSP

Smash Legend
How are you going to buff a character like Ganondorf?

Also, I don't really see how some of the rules meant to limit MK (like the stalling rule) are even possible to enforce. It seems like they were doomed to fail from the beginning.
From what I see, I stalling rules aren't even enforced anywhere.

Even the IDC ban has loop holes, since it's pretty hard to decipher whether or not someone used EDC.

Inaphyt

Smash Apprentice
I think everyone has fought too long and hard over metaknight that when he is banned, noone will mention snake at all, snake isn't even that great any more.

Everyone will remember how broken meta was, and laugh with glee as they get 0-death chaingrabbed by ic's.

Rather that than Mk eh lads haha

solecalibur

Smash Master
So lets just reopen the metaknight topic and have mods delete/give warnings for spam because this hasnt gone away

NNID
Budget_Player
Joshu and I used a rule called "punch time". 3 times a match, you were allowed to call punch time and were able to get a free warlock punch on an unshielded opponent from wherever they hit the ground.

(MK was still good vs. him, he could jump and tornado before he hit the ground and then go to center stage so he lived longer)
This is incredible. +rep

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I think we should stop with the debates for now. We knoe it's all heated and stuff, but we said all we wanted to say for now and showed people what current trends are like. We even vented about how planking/scrooging/timing out makes us feel and the community as a whole.

Let's just stop for a bit and give it a rest. People are just spamming anyway, nothing constructive, and I hate going into a topic, looking for the new replies, and then seeing that all they wrote was "+rep" (no offense).

*reported the OP so it can be closed*

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
It also brings about another problem: if you're willing to weaken the top character to make things more even, why not strengthen those that are sooooo far below they can do nothing?
I think this is a legitimate question.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I think this is a legitimate question.
We already talked about that in Hylian's "MK Debates go here" topic. Check out the date that question was made... January who-knows-when. The last closed thread was in february.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
If we are talking about MK, let's look at it this way for a second:

What about the MK mains? Are we going to kick them to the curb and force them to learn someone else? If we surgically change the game, then they just are not allowed to do a certain tactic, but if we globally change the game, then they must stop using the entire character.

I agree with you for the most part, and I understand that the above is a flimsy argument, but it's just something to think about.
TOo bad, so sad, learn another main.
We can't cater to people just because they don't want to lose a character.
I dont like Sonic being unviable.
I am sure DK mains hate the stupidity that is DDD.
I am sure Falcon hates sucking.
We do NOT cater to people, in doing so, we would be making a very low standard.
(I demand we have an ALL falcon tournament though)

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
if meta-knight gets banned the next thing ppl r going to say is ban snake
And since i have a cold today, i'm going to have cancer the next day, and then be dead the day after that.
oh theories based off of nothing, what are we gonna do with you...

BSP

Smash Legend
Snake isn't going to get banned...I can't think of anything that would make him banworthy, and I doubt people could.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Funny how anti-ban always wins because the thread gets locked.
don't see how that matters, the scrub topic on tactical doesn't affect whether or not MK will be banned at all

and wtf no snake will not be a ban target if MK is banned, snake isn't even really the second best character lmao

Pete278

Smash Lord
Course people will whine to get Snake banned. Those people probably want chaingrabs banned, or Tornado, or bananas, or anything remotely 'cheap'. Those people are called scrubs, and their opinion should be (and almost always is) completely ignored in these instances, and yet people are still acting like scrubs being scrubs won't happen if we don't ban Metaknight.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'm anti-ban but to say that all pro-banners are scrubs is just completely wrong, a lot of very talented players believe MK should be banned. it has nothing to do with your skill or knowledge of the game, it's almost entirely philosophical

Pete278

Smash Lord
I'm not disagreeing with MK being banned. In actuality, I'm for that, but not strong enough to debate it like OS; I'd just let down the team. But the people who'd then complain about Snake, Diddy, Dedede, whatever, are scrubs (assuming no developments in their metagame that make them broken).

xxpatgxx

Smash Journeyman
Wtf does this mean?

Seriously, every time someone has a suggestion to "nerf" mk even the slightest they claim that nerfing anything proves his broken-ness and that he should be flat out banned.

Which makes zero sense.

Allowing people to only CP neutrals if they are MK, and/or allowing the player to have no bans for CPs if they choose to play as MK are GOOD IDEAS.

What forces us to ban him outright?

In fact shouldn't we do everything in our power to not ban him outright?

Stop saying this, until you back it up with something other than "this is the truth cause I said it" it doesn't make any sense.
Good idea actually.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Allowing people to only CP neutrals if they are MK, and/or allowing the player to have no bans for CPs if they choose to play as MK are GOOD IDEAS.

What forces us to ban him outright?

In fact shouldn't we do everything in our power to not ban him outright?
Surgical changes are bad.

Think of it this way:

Metaknight is inherently changing aspects of the game as a good character on his own. MK has shaped the tier list. The current status quo are the people that say "just make him play on starters" because those are the characters that do best on starters. Doing so doesn't change much, if anything, about the game itself. It solves the problem in a half-***** way by telling everyone that isn't going to have a great match on a starter "tough" and just doing what you can to make the second best players better.

Doing this is pretty silly. Not only do you only help those closest to the top, but there's no reason why you can weaken MK but not strengthen, say, Ganondorf.

Making small changes attempting to "fix" a problem like this doesn't work. Every attempt to do so has failed.

You ultimately have two destinations:

1. Messing up and not weakening MK enough
2. Weakening MK enough so that he can be beatable by X character

Why do that? You can't win unless you've weakened MK to a ridiculous margin, and that isn't really fair or controllable.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Turn on stages like BoE= MK will have to play on stages like FD due to the MKplayer will ban BoE, which for example will help chars like snake and Diddy against him...

Top Bottom