• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Baltimore Tourney at UMBC - Next: TBD

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
Pools would be doable if the tourney didn't run so slowly
Last time it wasn't so much that it ran slowly; all the tv's were being used during tournament time. It's just that it took so much time to get them going due to various reasons, such as people arriving after doubles was scheduled to start. What I could have done to speed things up was to have everyone pay for doubles starting at 2pm (but then it would have been $5 per person) as well as singles starting at 2pm, and to begin singles during the semifinals of doubles. I wasn't in a particularly big hurry to rush people through the tournaments last time however, since we had till midnight. In addition, none of the players verbally told me that they wanted things to go faster; instead, they took quite a while finishing friendlies and signing up for the tourneys even when I went around the room. Now I'm not expressing displeasure at people's actions, I'm just stating the reasons why the tourney ran "so slowly". In the future I'll be more of a douche :ohwell:

edit: oh yeah, and the next tournament will start at noon with people arriving beginning at 10am. :)

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Good stuff, thanks for the answer. David's Psalm of Deliverance ftw
Yeah, it makes the tag even sweeter.

1(A)And David spoke (B)the words of this song to the LORD in the day that the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul.

2He said,
"(C)The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer;
3(D)My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, :grin:

FOB

Smash Ace
I actually really like brackets. Not making it out of pools makes you feel like you're pushed into a big pile called "you suck". But it doesn't really matter. I'm good with either. Small pools would be nice though. ^_^

Car Michael

Smash Rookie
it has occurred

A Man Once Said To Me Long Ago "ENDEAVOR INTO YOURSELF MEANS TO ENDEAVOR INTO YOUR ENDEARINGNESS"

Blue_Light

Smash Journeyman
Surprise rawr

Ron - Samus extender dittos own. Close matches as usual and still 200% random when spectating. Stop squandering at getting ko's in teams >_>
Aho - playing you made me realize how much better I play with rumble on
Husband - good matches, alot closer than what I thought they would be.
Kiwi - who was your teamate when we were playing teams? (when i had to keep switching out my partner because they sucked at getting ko's) He was virturally unkillable. Both of you are mean for not letting me get that 5 stock comeback.
Chillin - good job winning
Redd - Shame you couldnt go to this. Also, im using a new aim name now, thats probably why you havent seen me on aim for a while.
M2K - Yoshi ditto next time we meet?
Nikk - you should play my Yoshi sometime
Dosv - good matches

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Might I get it so we can communicate ^_~ ?

We NEED to smash soon too, no excuse, you live down the street ROFL.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
i dont think anyone really gets bracket gayed, people just forgetting that this is MD/VA and we have some of the most in-practice and best melee players in the country/world. if people cant beat the people that they lose to in brackets, than what makes people think you think pools will help? youll get more matches, but even IF you beat a good player, then you MIGHT make it into the bracket, in which EVERYONE will be good.

UMBC's 2nd round of the bracket consists of 16 people. of those 16 included:

NEO
g-regulate
husband
m2k
chu
chillin
aho
kirbstir
kaiser
fonz
blues
anden

wow, keep in mind azen/KM/Plank/tope/meep/chinesahh/doll/redd/omni/wife/vist/aero/oro are all not present looool

SO, even if you DO get an easy first round, odds are better than not that youll be playing one of those players, who are all somewhat consistent vets. anything that happens in losers cant be helped, i.e. a good player losing early and tearing through losers, so thats irrelevent. i think the best course of action is to just expect to get the hardest bracket every time, and step up the game

kiwiii

Smash Lord
Kiwi - who was your teamate when we were playing teams? (when i had to keep switching out my partner because they sucked at getting ko's) He was virturally unkillable. Both of you are mean for not letting me get that 5 stock comeback.
redantpip: daaaamn
kusakusaKIWI: ??
redantpip: did you see the shoutout bluelight gave me?
kusakusaKIWI: no
redantpip: no mention of 8 kills!?!?
redantpip: all they want to know is who the partner is who wouldn't die haha

*chucks rocks* >:o

WHO CARES ABOUT PHIL!?!?
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

haha yea, my teammate was fonz/phil. :o he's pretty amazing i must say
which should make it even more amazing that i pulled an aho and got 8 kills that round1!
please, i'll sign autographs later :cool:

****it phil -_-

Ghostype

Smash Champion
In those teams matches (where Blue was the only one doing work on our side >_>) I got a combined total of...three kills.

Reioumu

Smash Lord
Ehh, pools should only be used if the attendance is HUGE. But It does give people more chances to play others and raise their position.

Blue_Light

Smash Journeyman
I couldve posted about the 8 ko's but I didnt feel like doing it

Edit: Ron - do you have a linkcable? Maybe I can pokemon battle you with my Sapphire. Maybe we can trade pokemon too, im tryin to fill my pokedex
Beware I use level 100 Pelliper

Husband

Smash Lord
i dont think anyone really gets bracket gayed, people just forgetting that this is MD/VA and we have some of the most in-practice and best melee players in the country/world. if people cant beat the people that they lose to in brackets, than what makes people think you think pools will help? youll get more matches, but even IF you beat a good player, then you MIGHT make it into the bracket, in which EVERYONE will be good.

UMBC's 2nd round of the bracket consists of 16 people. of those 16 included:

NEO
g-regulate
husband
m2k
chu
chillin
aho
kirbstir
kaiser
fonz
blues
anden

wow, keep in mind azen/KM/Plank/tope/meep/chinesahh/doll/redd/omni/wife/vist/aero/oro are all not present looool

SO, even if you DO get an easy first round, odds are better than not that youll be playing one of those players, who are all somewhat consistent vets. anything that happens in losers cant be helped, i.e. a good player losing early and tearing through losers, so thats irrelevent. i think the best course of action is to just expect to get the hardest bracket every time, and step up the game

Yeah... You're telling me *******, hahaha. I lost to M2K then Neo. I loved how Neo went Roy on some ppl and Marth on me....WOW

Ghostype

Smash Champion
Blue - I have one for GBA, if that works then we're good. In Ruby I have a team of level 100s that can't be touched. >.>

Blue_Light

Smash Journeyman
Blue - I have one for GBA, if that works then we're good. In Ruby I have a team of level 100s that can't be touched. >.>
Yeah, GBA link cable, it better work >_>

I also got a level 100 team that cant be touched, but two of them are on my Leaf Green which I lost in my room somewhere

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
I will have this confirmed tomorrow (meaning later today), but for now this is the deal:

Tourney/SmashFest this Saturday from 10AM till midnight. Just 5 tv's, so not as large as past ones. If we hold a tourney it's just $5 for singles and $5 for doubles. If we have enough for a tourney, then doubles will start at noon and singles starting around semifinals of doubles, so like 1:30pm. Registration for both would start at 11am.

More details later today!

EEvisu

Smash Lord
^ He changed the date on his to Sunday n00b

I'll be here sadly, lolololol

Reioumu

Smash Lord
Dayumn, great times. It's 90% that I'm coming. I'm not bringing my laptop this time, I'm just going to focus on smash and nothing else.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
because trying to get the tourney over with in a decent amount of time is obviously arrogant.

FOB

Smash Ace
lets have a bmores finest vs. any other crew MM.
Dreamers if we're all in attendance?

EDIT: **** doubt it. 5% won't be there. Korn and boss are unlikely to come. Perhaps at another tournament.

Ghostype

Smash Champion
Shinku if you go to UMBC on a Sunday I'll be there lol. I don't do **** on Sundays. We could get at least two more people for teams.

Top Bottom