• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balancing Meta Knight

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Link to original post: [drupal=600]Balancing Meta Knight[/drupal]

Meta Knight seeks to obtain victory by harassing the opponent off the stage with rapid, fast attacks, while not dying himself due to excellent recovery.

Meta Knight has trouble killing characters with un-gimpable recovery. His slow aerial movement and long-lasting attacks leave him vulnerable to all attacks that outrange him, and he is easy to kill vertically.

*B is unpunishable.
*Up-B and Glide Attack are far too rewarding and offer little risk.
*D-Smash is a very powerful attack for its speed.

- Remove all horizontal mobility from B. Possibly increase the damage to compensate.
- Significantly reduce knockback from Up-B.
- Do not allow glide attack after up-B.
- Reduce damage and knockback on d-smash.

This would result in Meta Knight being more limited to his original art of gimp kills, though significantly more difficult without up-B. He will have a much harder time dealing with characters that cannot easily be gimped, who will now require vertical (and higher %) kills through u-tilt or u-throw. MK will no longer be able to avoid punishment from B and Up-B, leaving him with a merely reasonable approach. The jabs, f-tilt combo, damaging throws, and still crazy-fast d-smash still leave him with a respectable ground game. Playing Meta Knight would be less stacked, but still a stressful battle against an adaptable opponent.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Link to original post: [drupal=600]Balancing Meta Knight[/drupal]

- Remove all horizontal mobility from B. Possibly increase the damage to compensate.
The move doesn't make a lot of sense without it.

- Significantly reduce knockback from Up-B.
Could you express that as a typical K.O. percent?

I think it should be one of those moves that has a big, but mostly unchanging, knockback level. But that's just motivated by flavour.

- Do not allow glide attack after up-B.
Not possible unless you simply don't glide.

- Reduce damage and knockback on d-smash.
Amen.

This would result in Meta Knight being more limited to his original art of gimp kills, though significantly more difficult without up-B. He will have a much harder time dealing with characters that cannot easily be gimped, who will now require vertical (and higher %) kills through u-tilt or u-throw. MK will no longer be able to avoid punishment from B and Up-B, leaving him with a merely reasonable approach. The jabs, f-tilt combo, damaging throws, and still crazy-fast d-smash still leave him with a respectable ground game. Playing Meta Knight would be less stacked, but still a stressful battle against an adaptable opponent.
All true.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
meta johns? its easy to dodge a tornado, just shield it and run and grab mk after tornado goes down..

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
any thing that you can think of to beat MK wont work on a person who plays him with any knowledge of the character. the post above me is proof

gantrain05

Smash Master
meta johns? its easy to dodge a tornado, just shield it and run and grab mk after tornado goes down..
lolololololololololol......you must play suck metas then. if meta doesn't leave the ground with the tornado there is no ending lag, so you cant grab him, and even if you could, it would only be helpful with characters that have a chaingrab on him.....and the ones who do arent fast enough to run and grab him.

cutter

Smash Champion
The knockback on MK's Up B doesn't have to nerfed power-wise; the trajectory needs to be changed so the knockback goes straight up instead of to the side at an awkward angle. This is why MK's Up B can kill at such absurdly low percents.

bluebolt

Smash Journeyman
more like in the gamez, but is it more balanced? (this)

up B will not glide, but knock back will not change, and meta knight will travel horizontal half as much as he does up.

B will have moderate knock back instead of combing but will be harder to control.

drill rush will last long and be controlled more freely, but is slower

down B will have more invincible frames unless your holding B to attack

down smash will have less knock back but attack 3 times (so its less of a broken killing move)

down B will be holding the sword down so its a more precise interceptor, but more damage, lag and knockback (or should I say knockdown lol).

up smash will attack only once but will have more knock back, damage and lag, and slightly more precise, and up tilt will be like up smash, but more damage and slightly more after lag.

Nair will have less knockback but more range

after jab will have much priority, but be precise and it has many (lol like in gamez)
1st, 3, 2nd, 2, 3rd 1+1+1...

the first 2 have less side range, more up.

bluebolt

Smash Journeyman
lolololololololololol......you must play suck metas then. if meta doesn't leave the ground with the tornado there is no ending lag, so you cant grab him, and even if you could, it would only be helpful with characters that have a chaingrab on him.....and the ones who do arent fast enough to run and grab him.
you can grab people in the air, you just cant grab while in the air.

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
i really hate pikachus downsmash more. seriously if your that close on the ground to metaknight you deserve to be hit by it. it really doesnt have that big of a range.

glide attacking i believe is balanced when your gliding your mobility is greatly limited in how you can move. its not that hard to dodge the glide attack either.

ive played a few good metaknights but none that were OMG WTF BBQ broken. i dont think metaknight is the best character i just think for the way people play smash in general he does the best.

Karas

Smash Cadet
i really hate pikachus downsmash more. seriously if your that close on the ground to metaknight you deserve to be hit by it. it really doesnt have that big of a range.

glide attacking i believe is balanced when your gliding your mobility is greatly limited in how you can move. its not that hard to dodge the glide attack either.

ive played a few good metaknights but none that were OMG WTF BBQ broken. i dont think metaknight is the best character i just think for the way people play smash in general he does the best.
Finally! someone Else like me, when I first joined this forum. first thing i seen was "Meta knight is GOD" but when I finally get to playing a Decent Meta Knight I was Highly Dissapointed.
im not saying he sucks. But people Give him way to Much Credit.

Geist

Smash Master
^^^^^
It's not that MK is "OMGWTFBROKEN"
It's that he has significant advantages to virtually every other character. He always has the advantage in a 1v1 match against you.

If he was to be made more balanced, the first priority would be to give him less priority, pun intended.
Next would be to nerf that digusting UpB and Dsmash.
Just with that, he would be tolerable, and still remain a good character.

Basically what first post said.

Karas

Smash Cadet
Yeah thats true. but what really Pisses me off, is People Only Use Mk to win.
thats just sad.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
If I were to balance Brawl I'd buff all the characters to MK level, not nerf the strong ones >.<

Karas

Smash Cadet
If I were to balance Brawl I'd buff all the characters to MK level, not nerf the strong ones >.<
then People would die fast, and the gameplay would be to short.

People using a character just to win?! Imagine that -_-.
oh wow. I mean Like instead Of using a character that they would Like to Play As, who cares about the tier list. they go for number 1. and bloat In peoples faces. to show how good they're character is.

Shred_kid

Smash Cadet
So true. And speaking as a MK main, I don't play him just to win or because he came out on top on the tier list. I play him because I like his fast playstyle. And yeah, I am kinda ashamed that I main him, but Link is my secondary, so thats some redemption...right?

Karas

Smash Cadet
Actually why are you Ashamed you Mained him Because you wanted to, so yeah, I Pretty much Main snake and secondary Marth. both high chars, but I mained Snake Because I love the Metal Gear Solid Series, and I picked marth cuz i wanted a fantasy type Character. and Im not ashamed why should you be?

Denzi

Smash Master
My biggest complaint about MK is the Five jumps, Two glides, and the Four recovery moves.

I mean, at least take one of the glides away:ohwell:.

Top Bottom