• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Standard Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I really love Lokee's sig. It's really well done - particularly the wheel of characters and the BBrawl icon.

As for the screen, (which I never got around to figuring out), I like the direction it's taking. The only change I really agree with is the changing of rainbow colors on the ball. They look out of place, and I'd like to see a monochromatic version of it - maybe with some red or the other warmer colors.

Great work regardless Lokee.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Lokee, before this kills me, can I add some transparency to your sig? The white makes me want to murder it.

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
Rocket go ahead, as far as Im concerned its all up to you.

Thanks Meno, Im acutally working on a brand new one right now. Im redoing the "Balanced" and "Ying Yang" and If you need help in case you want to make one too just ask. I just got started doing this and its the first time I used BrawlBox but I have at least basic knowledge.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Kinda... butchered his circle there.

And the "click here" thing is a different font now. :p

EDITS: I think it's the same font as the one in mine, Futura bold I think.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Yeah, it's kind of an awkward part. . .

thanks for the font tip, I didn't know which one it was, I'll redo the circle.

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
I changed the one on my sig to have a transparent back instead of a white but for some reason it chips off a bit. Maybe ill just make it into the backcolor of the site....

Edit: FIXED

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Just throwing out that that this all is better than I could have done.

Also, in the process of converting Bbrawl to .pacs, I would like to report that I've done a ton of work over the last few days. As I type this, I'm at 29/36 .pac files made (remember 3 characters don't need them... yet), and I'm working on #30 (Zero Suit Samus).

In the long run, maintaining Bbrawl will be easier with these .pac files. We'll much more easily be able to analyze moves and make intended changes. In the meantime though, boy this process sucks. It's so boring...

This doesn't really mean anything since it's just gruntwork, but I'll post who I have done just so people can look at that long changelist in the second post (which has surprisingly many errors which will be fixed the next time I catch Thinkaman's ear) and see how much had to be put into .pac form...

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong, (Diddy Kong), Yoshi, Wario, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Samus, Pit, R.O.B., Meta Knight, King Dedede, Olimar, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Pikachu, Lucario, (Marth), Ike, Ness, Lucas, (Mr. Game & Watch), Snake, Sonic

The characters in parenthesis don't need .pac files made.

That means I still need to do...

Zero Suit Samus, Ice Climbers, Kirby, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Jigglypuff

Samus has a million changes and a million articles and will take forever. Jigglypuff has a really awkward timing change to implement on her pummel that I want to discuss with Thinkaman before touching. I don't really look forward to figuring out how we're going to handle PT's switch mechanics via a .pac method so I'm probably saving all three of them for near-last. I haven't looked at Kirby's powers at all yet and have no idea whether they'll be easy or hard to work with. Ice Climbers are basically a guaranteed pain due to the nature of Nana. The other characters should all be relatively easy and just haven't been gotten around to yet; I am doing the characters in a fairly random order so it's largely coincidence.

I just thought maybe people would have some interest in what's getting done.

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like very tedious work espeacially if you have to convert all changes. Good luck with that though, I think people generally like to be in the loop of things so also thanx.

IrohDW

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2473-0493-0622
One thing that I think should be considered for the next version of bbrawl is to make some AT's easier to perform. One example of this is shiek's DACUS. The timing on it is so difficult that a lot of people either can't perform it consistantly or can't use it at all. I think that if the frame window was made bigger, it would give those that have difficulty performing it incentive to play bbrawl without acually changing gameplay.

Another AT I would really like to see made easier is this desynch with ICs. It is one of the most effective desynchs there is, yet some people (myself included) have a very hard time using it consistantly even after practicing it for hours.

Some people like me don't have the tech skill required to use some of the harder ATs Even after significant amounts of practice. I think that if some ATs were easier to perform, it will make it easier to expand the number of people playing bbrawl without changing the way the game is played.

@AA How are the stage hacks coming? I'm really looking forward to being able to have more stages (especially port town) be viable. Thanks for updating us on what you are doing.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
They aren't going to make AT's easier to perform. The goal of this hack is to make balance among the cast without making completely radical changes. A suggestion I can give to you is to ask a more radical project like B+ to implement some of those AT changes.

IrohDW

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2473-0493-0622
How would it be radical? The ATs can already be done, so it shouldn't change gameplay at all. What it would change is the number of people that are able to perform them consistantly. I know that I am not the only person that struggles with the Specific ATs I mentioned.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Changing the ability to do an AT changes the character's gameplay if it becomes easier. This is also geared towards balance, not making it easier to play. You can try to ask for other people to help you make your own AT hacks, but the project right now is to balance out the cast while making extremely limited speed and timing changes. Making AT's easier would involve timing changes and other things, so my only word of advice is to practice those AT's.

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
Plus the cause of many ATs are varied and some are just unexplainable. Another side is that the characters that need help need more then complex AT buffs.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I generally like making things technically easier when possible, but I'm not on a crusade against tech skill persay. Luckily, Brawl in general is already the technically easiest good fighter on the market (Good job Sakurai! Except unlike some other people here, I 100% mean it.). I don't know what properties of dash attacks let them cancel into up smashes or how the sliding distances are determined; I'm pretty sure the way a small number of characters slide a lot is a physics glitch in the first place. I bet they all have identical cancel windows. If some are harder than others, it's probably just that the slide distance varies based on timing within the window similar to glide tossing and some characters only get a good slide within a small part of the window.

The short version of that is that changing any of that would be really hard, questionable for the project's goals in the first place, and generally not a good investment of time and coding resources. I agree in principle that the game should be as technically easy as possible, but this is a case where we can't fix all the evils of the original game. Glide tossing is actually a good parallel example; I'd love for G&W's amazing glide toss to be possible for normal people to do (he has something dumb like a 1f window to get a good slide), but it's not going to happen. Glide tossing, by the way, is actually worse than DACUS in a way. Both are only actually useful for a few characters, but at least DACUS is truly universal. Glide tossing is canceling a roll into an item throw, and I with regret inform anyone who didn't know that that's simply impossible with Yoshi as a part of his general goofy shield mechanics.

ICs, on the other hard, are the most technical character in standard Brawl, are currently the most technical character in Balanced Brawl, and are likely to remain a technical character forever. If you have an inhuman amount of tech skill (as in more than I think is possible for any human to have in the most literal of sense), they can still do infinites in Balanced Brawl. The length of cgs they can do if you are within human limits (like I think we all are) is based solely on tech skill. Desynching in general is highly technical. Messing with Nana's AI is not only ground that would require me to be much better at programming than I am to touch, but it would probably be really messy and dangerous. I think the best we can do is say that if you aren't an extremely technical player, you might just want to look into the other 35 characters. Some of them have some tough tricks, but on a fundamental level no other character is as hard to make work as ICs. As a designer, I feel there's nothing I can do about this.

As per stages, I can't report much of anything. The ability to edit hitbox data on stage hazards still does not exist, and it's really just plain pivotal to doing much more with stages. Stage hacking is making great progress so I currently am just hopeful things happen while I'm working on other stuff.

IrohDW

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2473-0493-0622
I see what you're trying to say. I don't have a problem with keeping ATs as they are because I've found ways to deal with my inability to learn a few of them. I just thought it would help make bbrawl more accessible to players with low techskill.

btw, chaingrabbing with ICs is still very possible in BBrawl. It is definitely more difficult than before, but I think that dedicated IC mains will still be able to perform it with some consistency.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Chaingrabbing is definitely possible; I've seen it before. 0-death infinite chaingrabs? I'm not convinced. No one has ever shown themselves as being able to do it; it's probably just inhuman.

Just in case anyone didn't notice, I have been updating that progress post. I have really been getting a ton done tonight.

JOE!

Smash Hero
HEy AA, what "radical" changes that we came up with here do you think you would consider actually implementing?

Things such as timign changes for a few characters, or fixing yoshi's shield?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Smash 64 was also a pretty broken game; nearly every character had something that would be broken in Brawl. Yoshi in particular had a forced shield break combo; I think it's safe to say that Yoshi would instantly be better than Meta Knight in standard Brawl with a forced shield break combo and nothing else added. Smash 64 also gave Yoshi a far less potent set of grabs so Yoshi's camp game wasn't half of what it is in Brawl.

Giving Yoshi a better shield just gives the character dramatically more incentive to camp. I've said it before, and I'm saying it again. Making Yoshi even more campy would be extremely polarizing. It would make Yoshi vs Ganon into one of the worst matchups in the game, and generally everyone big and slow would be screwed. It would also make fighting against Yoshi with pretty much the entire cast unbearably tedious which isn't really a positive in game design.

Yoshi is going to see some tweaking (a minor detail I'll just disclose; the changes to his ftilt now apply to the angled versions as well, a silly oversight in the original release fixed). The tweaking, however, is going to look to be depolarizing and probably not designed to promote camping. That means his terrible shield is just going to remain terrible. It is one of the things that makes him unique; I suggest just focusing on his positives (which, contrary to what some people believe, are actually pretty big) and playing around the weakness.

Also, I think it's safe to claim that in Bbrawl Yoshi is kinda midish (with midish being much better to be in Bbrawl than in standard Brawl). He doesn't really need huge buffs, maybe tiny little bumps but nothing that's a big game changer.

I am not really sold on radical changes being needed in general. I know so many things seem tempting, and often there's a desire to take the easy way out of balancing things. There's just no denying that the easiest way to improve a slow character is to make that character faster, for instance, but I don't think it's the best way. When you look at characters like Marth with few holes in their game and then look at characters with big holes, it might seem tempting to cry foul, but I want to give my assurance that there's a serious effort to make sure the characters with bigger weaknesses have similarly bigger strengths to compensate. I in general think some characters having big weaknesses is good for the game, and I'd point out that most of the "radical changes" people want to suggest are just one way or another of removing big weaknesses. I'd say it's better to look at things through the lens of these questions when thinking about characters with big weaknesses:

-What is this character's best strategy to win?
-In what matchups is this easiest, and in what matchups is this most difficult?
-How can we change this character to continue to emphasize that strategy while evening out those matchups?

Like with Ganondorf it looks like this.

-The strategy is to get in close and then fish for extremely high rewards (either insane damage combos/tech-chases or super early kills). Accept landing far fewer hits than you take because of how much you gain from the ones you do land.
-This is easiest against characters who are one way or another ineffective at keeping him out and running away (Mr. Game & Watch, Zelda & Sheik, Donkey Kong, etc.). Those characters have to work the hardest to stop you from landing big stuff since they have to stay in your danger zone to fight effectively. This is hardest against the most efficient of camping characters (Olimar, Samus, etc.). These characters just keep you out really efficiently, and the ratio of hits landed versus hits taken shifts dramatically against Ganondorf in these matchups since he has to work for a two step plan of both getting where he even has an opportunity to hit and then managing to actually hit. Olimar and Samus also have particular advantages against Ganondorf (Olimar grab combos work very well against Ganondorf; Samus's size makes her really resilient to all manner of Flame Choke tricks).
-We need to look at the flow of those matches, ask what Ganon does actually land against those characters, and seek to improve that (first release example: Ganon has a buffed dsmash to help against Olimar specifically). We need to look at what factors on those characters make them such a bad matchup and perhaps tone them down on those characters (those characters are likely bad for more characters than just Ganondorf).

This is the issue with suggestions like buffing Ganon's jab via a speed-up. For one, his jab doesn't lead into particularly good damage and knocks them out and away. Why does Ganon want to knock them away unless it's with a really big hit? He's trying to get in the whole time anyway! For two, how often is Ganondorf really landing jab against Olimar and Samus anyway? How is going for jab strategically sound in those matchups? If you manage to get into jab range, I'd expect you'd be wanting to go for something a whole lot more rewarding than a jab. This is their weak spot and your strong spot that you probably had to fight hard just to get into in the first place; at the very least go for one of those 18% damage grab, pummel, fthrow tricks. I'd expect a jab buff would be most useful against guys like Mr. Game & Watch and DK against whom it's relatively easy to get right in their face; these are also the guys Ganondorf does best against. So not only does it make Ganondorf more like the other characters (a bad thing itself), but it helps him in his best matchups more than it helps him in his worst ones.

It's not an easy question to ask what actually does help, but my experience suggests to me that radical changes are simply less predictable, not really more likely to work.

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
I do think that weaknesses constitute towards a characters uniqueness (you know bad recovery, range, kill power, setup, ect.) but the problem with having large weaknesses considering balance espeacially is that those characters have the highest risk of encountering that one other character that just contradicts thier playstyle or effectively counters it resulting in polarizing matches.

Like Ganon VS Olimar where Oli virutally takes advantage of nearly all Ganon's weaknesses and expoits them to the upmost extreme. Similar are the likes of Samus and possibly Ice Climbers (despite lack of 0 to death)

All im saying is that Ganon needs a specific major buff against characters like Olimar, Samus, Ice Climbers Etc. without disrupting characters he had relatively better standing with like Sonic, Ike, Kirby, Jigglypuff, Bowser, Dk, etc.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
Buffing Ganon's jab (speed-up) would seem like it would help,his annoying/ bad MUs and not affect any of his other MUs. Against Oli, Samus, etc. I feel this could help in CQC(since it's already a good OOS). This could mean that Ganon wouldn't do as bad at CQC, especially since he usually ends up approaching most characters. And all characters have "Get the f*** away" moves making it even tougher for Ganon to "keep up" with them; NOW if he had that speed-buff on his jab....he could approach w/ shield or something and use JAB. Overall, some sort of Jab buff for Ganon would help make more of his MUs a little more even.
Sry, if my writing is hard to understand...I was typing this crap really fast as it came to mind. :)

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
Title Screen

You would be surprized how much just an extremely fast Jab can do for Ganon Also....

I just finished Title Screen 2.0 also I found a camera to take a offscreen pic so enjoy.

Added:
-Firey and warm color scheme
-Balanced redone, is now larger, more colored, and overall more noticable
-YingYang is larger and is clearly defined
-Brawl slighty redone although should be the same.
-Removed apparently homo rainbows.
-Overall a more simplified design

Download:http://www.mediafire.com/?znzgtr5myy0

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
That's good, now I don't have to remake it. I'm thinking of replacing all of Hanenbow's pictures with Wi-fi... I'm going to try it.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
You would be surprized how much just an extremely fast Jab can do for Ganon Also....

I just finished Title Screen 2.0 also I found a camera to take a offscreen pic so enjoy.

Added:
-Firey and warm color scheme
-Balanced redone, is now larger, more colored, and overall more noticable
-YingYang is larger and is clearly defined
-Brawl slighty redone although should be the same.
-Removed apparently homo rainbows.
-Overall a more simplified design

Download:http://www.mediafire.com/?znzgtr5myy0
excuse my ignorance, but where do I put this file?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I'm saying that Ganon does fine in close quarters combat against Olimar and Samus and such. His close quarters combat game in general is actually really good. Just think in terms of risk-reward and don't just count the number of times Ganon wins and Ganon loses in a close confrontation. Ganon let's say loses 3 close confrontations in a row. He takes maybe 8-9% each time. In the fourth one, Ganon pulls a shenanigan and lands Flame Choke. 30% is the low end of damage he's looking at in a lot of matchups; he needs only something like 3 good predictions off that to 0-death G&W I know. Even if he lands something comparably less good (like grab), he's doing well. Flame Choke is better than a 3-1 winner as a close quarters combat move against common ways to swat him away. Pummel does 5%, and fthrow does 13%. 18% is 2-1 winning over the damage output of most people's simple methods of knocking him out which is really quite good (at higher damage when he can land multiple pummels, it gets better). If the opponent is baited into something unsafe or poorly spaced and he gets to punish with something like fsmash, Ganon is looking to kill at under 100%. Most characters aren't looking to kill Ganondorf until at least 130%. If I'm in Ganondorf's face, that really limits what I can do; if he lands a kill on me at 80% or something, my winning chances are going down a lot. That means I have to avoid everything that could give him that chance. How is this character supposed to be bad at close quarters combat? He's high risk since he's so slow, but that's a silly thing to complain about when he's getting 2-1, 3-1, and better pay-offs for the stuff he lands. That reward is way more than compensatory for the risk.

The reason guys like Olimar and Samus do so well against him is because they avoid close quarters combat coming up as often as possible. They suck at close quarters combat anyway; it wouldn't make sense for them to do anything when up close other than try to run away or bat Ganondorf away which means those close quarters combat situations just don't come up nearly as often against them as against other characters. And let's say you get in and hit with the jab. Let's ignore shielding and just assume you hit outright. You do less than 10% damage and get no follow up at all. Good job. Now how much damage do you take getting back in to do it again? We could make his jab unblockable (that's +infinity on block!), and it still would be relatively least helpful against someone like Olimar. Now against someone like G&W who has to shield Ganon's stuff regularly, it would be great. Ganon can go for the low, easy damage in those matchups because he has so many more opportunities. It just makes Ganon more polarized, not less...

Lokee, there is a point that the worst matchups usually involve extreme characters meeting each other when one character's extreme strength overlaps another's extreme weakness. Designing around that is the biggest challenge of the project. I'm saying erasing the extreme weaknesses is not a solution, and sometimes it's very easy to misidentify the problem and create bigger fundamental problems while not actually solving anything... which is exactly what the popular jab buff would do.

I also really don't think Ganon is that bad right now. His matchups against Olimar and Samus are pushing it, but they're both winnable for him. He's really scary for most of the cast, but he's beatable by everyone which is important for such an extreme character. The fact that he doesn't ruin anyone's day while his day is close to ruined by a few (really mostly just Olimar and Samus) makes him probably in the bottom half, but we don't have a "we need to fix Ganon" crisis. It's more of a "it would be nice if we could further depolarize Ganon and in the process help him a bit" situation.

---

That second title screen looks really nice. I want to take a moment to say thanks for the contribution; I appreciate it.

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
excuse my ignorance, but where do I put this file?
Make sure the folders are in this hierarchy "private\wii\APP\RSBE\pfmenu2"
(if you dont have it, create the "pfmenu2" folder and just place the .pac file in there and it should work.) I pretty sure you also need the texture hack code enabled as well. Any other questions just ask.

Thanx AA, Its the least I can do to help out this project. Also your long posts are always an interesting read.

That's good, now I don't have to remake it. I'm thinking of replacing all of Hanenbow's pictures with Wi-fi... I'm going to try it.
That would be awsome as im getting tired of seeing that stage when I know its WifiRoom. I like consistantcy and that would definately be on par of dressing BBrawl up more.

LordshadowRagnarok

Smash Journeyman
Amazing Ampharos, now that there's been time for them to be tested and played with and even an engine to allow them to be straight up ADDED, will any Subspace Emmisary stages become cannon in the next version of BBrawl? Jungle Bowser, Tabuu Destination, a number of Shadowbug stages, Midair Colloseum, Lucario vs Metaknight Ice Top, That one level with the hole in the center of it, and a number of boss levels all seem very fair and might help set BBrawl apart. A little "Look what we have!" thing.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ganon is awful at close range...you can do a lot of dumb stuff since he doesn't have a viable shieldgrab. Samus outdoes him in close range with a 7 frame F-tilt alone that outranges Marth's F-tilt, and her Jab isn't even awful as long as you know that it works at moderate to high percents. As I recall, Olimar's tilts are also too good for Ganon in close range, and I'm pretty sure he can't shieldgrab since Olimar is a small target.

IrohDW

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2473-0493-0622
AA, what if you made Ganon's jab do more damage/knockback so that it could kill earlier. I think that would fit his playstyle more than speeding it up while still making it useful against opponents. Ganon is the strongest character in the game, so it would make sense to give him the strongest jab in the game. It would still be risky to throw it out, but the reward would make it worth the risk. This would also make guerdo deadlier against characters like snake and link because jab is the only followup that is guaranteed against them.

btw, are you planning on fixing the coding error in his fair?

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
I'm saying that Ganon does fine in close quarters combat against Olimar and Samus and such. His close quarters combat game in general is actually really good.
I'm confused.

If Ganon does good in close quarters combat, what quality do you think gives Ganon a great close range game, in general? Is it the super massive endlag on all his ground moves? The fact that he has no multihit attacks to pressure shields or punish dodges? Perhaps it's his narrow range and absent mobility. No! It's gotta be that not one move is safe on block... not even jab, not even thunderstorming.

You know who sounds like what you describe? Donkey Kong. I play him from time to time. His Dtilt is fast and spammable, forcing an opponent to shield through it and punishing dodges. DK can punish like it's no one's business, with his fast and safe Fsmash, or faster still and not so safe Dsmash. Hell, almost all of DK's moves are viable KO moves. An upward angled Ftilt or reversed Utilt leaves no blind spot unchecked, not to mention Bair's incredible versatility as an approach, damage racker and KO move.

ALL on a heavy weight who has excellent ground speed and good jump/air mobility. He can approach his opponents and even has great survivability tools at his disposal.

Yeah, you must have been talking about Donkey Kong. Because DK has better close quarters moves that Ganon, more landable and diverse KO moves and has numerous positive qualities that overwrite the strengths of Ganon.

It doesn't need explaining that one Ganon hit is powerful. It might need explaining, however, that one Ganon hit is hard to land, and once it does land, it decays sharply in KO strength. In a game between two, evenly skilled opponents who know thier characters, both players are going to be screwing up less, which comes down to speed and saftey before any other attack attribute.

But let's keep going.

(Playing Against Ganondorf) And let's say you get in and hit with the jab. Let's ignore shielding and just assume you hit outright. You do less than 10% damage and get no follow up at all. Good job.
That's the joke! Hit the shield with it! Jab cancel! Ganon has bad out of shield options. But to 1up that, Ganon's sourspot (a jab with a sourspot?!) clunks for 7%, only catching up to the rest of the cast with a sweetspotted 9%. Followups? It's weak KO properties dont' even afford a setup.

We could make his (Ganon) jab unblockable (that's +infinity on block!), and it still would be relatively least helpful against someone like Olimar. Now against someone like G&W who has to shield Ganon's stuff regularly, it would be great.
Olimar camps on the ground at close ranges, heavily relying on his grab out of shield. If you speed up Ganon's jab, particularly the end lag, you create a move that more effectively punishes spot dodges (all of the cast) and gives Ganon more time to react before an opponent can simply punish him out of shield (particularly characters with good OOS options, see Olimar).

And G&W has the freaking turtle spam with air mobility; why exactly in your theorycraft is G&W not in a short hop ready to bounce away, attack or dodge on reaction? It's not like Ganon can approach.

=
==
=
I'm saying erasing the extreme weaknesses is not a solution...

...It's more of a "it would be nice if we could further depolarize Ganon and in the process help him a bit" situation.
You say that fixing the weaknesses of a character is not a solution, then state that you're looking into a way to depolarize Ganon. This is what's called a contradiction, similar to how you stated that Ganon has great closed quarters combat against Olimar and then state that the jab buff would affect that matchup least. I guess I can look past that to deliver a more direct point.

Having 12 characters in a fighting game is absurdly difficult to balance, because for every strength a character has, another character needs a way to counter that unique strength in one attribute or a few. Brawl has 35 characters, and I haven't read elsewhere what game's you've built or modded prior to this to credit you the experience to challenge such a feat. It's idealistic and not realistic (on a professional level) to edit every character down to the last bit of data and expect balanced results, especially within a project with as many limitations as you've set. Extremes create imbalances for the sake of character variety - it's not a design challenge any more than building a gun out of gold because it's pretty "but challenging to make usable".

Maybe it's been a bad night or something and you goofed your post. If that's the case, I apologize for my tone. But everything you say about Ganondorf couldn't possibly be more wrong (or seemingly biased). From the post way back where you stated Ganon was threatinging because of his "shield damage" to claiming that buffing Ganon's jab, which most directly affects dodges/shielding (the most universal mechanics across the cast) are polarizing, could not be more absurd.

In a gamecon confrence, reps from Blizzard Entertainment stated that, what they often try to do when balancing stuff, is to intentionally overpower something. It gets people to try out that move/spell/ability and find it's exploits, as well as granting insight as to what a good middle ground is when they nerf the move back down. If buffing Ganon's jab is so "polarizing" in your mind, why not release another update preview and just see the results on a large scale? Having a real gtfo move doesn't seem to be the pivot point of balance for any cast member besides him, as it's just a universal concept.

But, whatever. I really shouldn't care. PS, great job Lokee.

Varna

Smash Rookie
First off, great work on this mod, guys. I am stunned. This more than makes up for the disappointment that Brawl+ brought me.

RPSI, for those of us who are idiots newbs, where do we put that file?

Also, I have to ask - is there a version available that allows us to tweak which settings are on and off? I have a group of friends that happens to enjoy Spear Pillar / Temple as they were (lol), not to mention we'd like to use custom stages (I'm running from HBC, not using SmashStack, so I don't think this is an issue?). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

camzy

Smash Journeyman
First off, great work on this mod, guys. I am stunned. This more than makes up for the disappointment that Brawl+ brought me.

RPSI, for those of us who are idiots newbs, where do we put that file?

Also, I have to ask - is there a version available that allows us to tweak which settings are on and off? I have a group of friends that happens to enjoy Spear Pillar / Temple as they were (lol), not to mention we'd like to use custom stages (I'm running from HBC, not using SmashStack, so I don't think this is an issue?). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Use codemanager to make your own codes.

I've used BBrawl's gameplay changes and made my own cosmetic and level freezes with it.

Varna

Smash Rookie
Use codemanager to make your own codes.

I've used BBrawl's gameplay changes and made my own cosmetic and level freezes with it.
Wow, now that you pointed that out, I see the .txt file with all the codes in it on the downloads. How the heck did I miss that before? I must be blind. Oh well, thanks!

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Ganon's close quarters combat isn't good because he has better ways to land hits than the rest of the cast (the opposite is true really). It's good because the risk-reward on engaging in close-quarters combat with him is basically guaranteed to be in his favor. The most important thing that determines the value of attacks is not safety or ease of use. It's risk-reward. Ganon is high risk very high reward. Nothing he has is particularly likely to work, but when it does work it's (almost all) extremely good.

If you easily get into jab range against Olimar (except when you're in the process of being thrown), the Olimar is doing something wrong. Have you ever played a good Olimar as Ganon? I have; even jabbing his shield is pretty hard to do. Landing jab isn't rewarding. Jab just sucks in that matchup. Why would you even think about jab against Olimar? Against Olimar in particular, ftilt is just plain better than jab. The lower speed barely matters, and it actually does stuff on hit. Of course, fishing with dtilts and such is an even better idea.

To be clear about exactly how Olimar operates, good Olimars like to sit about 1/3 of Final Destination away from you. From there they can rain pikmin on you, and you really can't do anything other than try to get closer. As you get close, they like to do things like back up and pivot grab where they used to be, utilizing the full range on the pivot grab (which is more range than Ganon's jab... or anyone's jab for that matter). They're acutely aware of the range of all your ground moves, and they are going to work hard to just stay out of that range since if you start throwing moves back and forth they are probably going to lose. They do punish a lot of stuff out of shield... when you jump in on them. Jump-ins are more limited than grounded approaches and also tend to force the attacker to either pull back (which means they still aren't "in") or put in some serious commitment which gets them shieldgrabbed. The reason Olimar's worst matchups are to Peach and Luigi is because of how both of them circumvent this. Peach can actually get in Olimar's face and stay there all while in the air thanks to her float mechanic. Luigi fakes it by being super floaty and having really high attack speed in the air (also a ridiculous nair in a lot of ways). Consider that, and ask yourself "how do I get my jab punished on block by Olimar?". Don't even worry about actually getting anything good; consider it a victory if you get in his face and jab and it gets blocked. It's still not easy! And usually, when you could get that jab blocked (or hit with it, whatever), you could have done the same thing with another slower move... because those are the times you have real opportunities.

Ganon's problems aren't with dodging and shielding at all is the whole point. If you're dodging and shielding a lot of Ganon's attacks, that means he's consistently getting in... and making poor choices about what to do once he is in. I should model this all with probability to make it simpler.

Let's say we have two moves. One move has a 90% chance of being successful. The other has a 20% chance of being successful. The move with a 90% success rate does 3 damage. The move with a 20% success rate does 25 damage. Assume all else between the two moves is equal and neither move is going to finish the match by itself. Which move is a smarter move to go for? The correct answer is the 20% success rate move. The expected outcome of the 90% move is 2.7. The expected outcome of the 20% move is 5. 5 > 2.7.

Ganon in close quarters combat has a lot of things that are like that 20% move. Nothing he has is really very safe or particularly easy to hit with. He does, however, have very high payouts (not just damage but also kill power, positioning, set-ups... getting hit by most of Ganon's movepool just sucks). When the two are taken together, he ends up with expected outcomes that are still very good. When fighting against Ganon, it's generally a very bad idea to get in his face and engage in close quarters combat. Just listen to the typical advice for fighting against Ganon. It's to run away and camp! Why would you do that if he's so bad at close quarters combat? Why not get in his face? It's because, on an intuitive level, most people realize what I'm saying is true and that engaging Ganon in close quarters combat is foolish. Even if you can win a lot of the confrontations, the ones you inevitably won't win are just too bad for you to do anything but minimize the number of confrontations. Really, you're focusing on exploiting his mobility more than anything; Ganon is mediocre at best at medium range combat and literally unable to engage in long range combat (other than throwing enemy or stage created items), and he is too slow at moving around to easily decide the range of combat. In one of Ganon's better matchups, like versus Mr. Game & Watch, the gap between the opponent successfully keeping Ganon out and Ganon being in is small. Yeah, turtle zoning is great. What's the difference between a properly spaced turtle keeping Ganon at bay and Ganon being in my face and ready to punish turtle OoS? It's about one step forward for Ganon. I mean, I can do it, and I'm going to try to do it to win the matchup (and I even have a fair chance at succeeding!). However, Ganon has a lot of opportunity to mix things up and get his step forward and even if I don't turtle I am not avoiding the reality of him being in my face. What's the margin against someone like Olimar? It's frequently 1/3 of the length of the stage; that's a distance that can take Ganon nearly a full second just to cross! This is where it gets hard...

The suggestion to test something broken has an intuitive result, but I have no problem throwing out a literal one if people really want this to go all the way. Let's say I put out two intentionally broken versions of Ganondorf. They will follow the following model.

Ganondorf A: Jab is ridiculously safe on block; IASA comes immediately after the move finishes hitting. It's so safe it probably leads into guaranteed grab on block.

Ganondorf B: He walks as fast as Marth and runs as fast as Sonic. His attacks aren't even one bit safer than they are now.

Which is better? Which is less polarized? I bet both prizes go to Ganondorf B. Ganondorf A would be really stupid but still possible to beat for quite a few characters... particularly the best keepaway characters. Ganondorf B would be wildly broken but not particularly more dominating against some types of characters than others... with his biggest problems probably coming from those quarters that can still effectively exploit his poor aerial mobility.

I can make these .pacs with the other Bbrawl Ganondorf changes very easily. If there's a serious demand to try this out, I really have no objection.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
In a gamecon confrence, reps from Blizzard Entertainment stated that, what they often try to do when balancing stuff, is to intentionally overpower something. It gets people to try out that move/spell/ability and find it's exploits, as well as granting insight as to what a good middle ground is when they nerf the move back down. If buffing Ganon's jab is so "polarizing" in your mind, why not release another update preview and just see the results on a large scale? Having a real gtfo move doesn't seem to be the pivot point of balance for any cast member besides him, as it's just a universal concept.
Very interesting point.

Honestly giving Ganon a single speedup buff to an attack like Jab isn't polarizing at all. I can say that immediately. His Jab has horrible reward as it is anyway, and speeding it up a little (I would say to make its total duration 22 frames) is pretty unlikely to give Ganon any real exploits on hit.

Like Hyrus kinda pointed out, so many characters also, when they get in Ganon's range, they can repeatedly Jab cancel him and there is nothing he can do but buffer shield, which is awful since shieldgrabbing is out of the question. I just did this to my level 9 Ganon with say Mario for instance, and got away with it, and level 9 computers clearly surpass humans at punishing dumb things on stage.

If you're good, Ganon should actually be feasibly hitting you about only 3% of the time in all exchanges unless you're a character that just sucks.

G&W isn't one of Ganon's better matchups...it's ridiculously awful once the G&W realizes how easy it is to approach and pressure Ganon and how Ganon will never be able to feasibly recover against G&W. The matchup is also literally unwinnable to the extreme - 80/20 or worse - on BF for several dumb reasons, such as the fact Flame Choking loses a lot of followups under platforms, or the fact that G&W can in fact D-air, D-tilt, or D-smash Ganon from above platforms ON TOP OF THE FACT that G&W just straight up beats Ganon by rushing him down. Even if Ganon miraculously makes it to the ledge, he pretty much is unable to recover at all if the G&W suddenly realizes that D-tilting from platforms beats pretty much anything a large character can do.

Even without BF's insane platform exploits, G&W still rushes down Ganon extremely easily by virtue of his amazing priority and solid options for spacing safely that all do huge damage and get people offstage easily, not to mention ridiculous juggling that Ganon obviously gets ***** by, a good Jab cancel that you can abuse since Ganon fails, and Smashes that kill about as early and sometimes earlier than what Ganon can do that are infinitely safer and more applicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom