• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bair is underpowered - Puff Social/Disc Thread

Bones0

Smash Legend
either move sounds like a good punishment for an isolated case of horrible spacing

I mean if people get uthrown->rested or they roll towards the stage and get fsmashed constanstly then this could happen just as easily.
Maybe you could even bait out something with WD back on a platform (i.e. the opposite of Falco being at center stage utilt'ing but this is a safer, sort of). Worst case scenario they don't jump at you so you can just jump or shield drop.

Shield drop uair is definitely not niche at all. You can consistently use it out of pressure, and if anyone is above or on a platform, you can always be more efficient with your movement by dropping below the plat (since you almost always want opponents above you as Puff) and simultaneously placing one of the most underrated hitboxes in the game above you. The only reason people don't spam the **** out of uair is because Puff's vertical acceleration (both upwards and downwards) is awful. Shield dropping allows you to throw out uairs instantly without having to position yourself with jumps. You can run across plats towards opponents and be uairing the next moment too fast for them to react to.

Massive

Smash Champion
This is actually linked in the article, but is also a good watch in general:
Arc's Pivot Tutorial.

He explains some standard escape DIs in addition to how pivoting actually works.
Keep in mind that every character can actually pivot, it's just not nearly as useful as marth's.

Bones0

Smash Legend
This is actually linked in the article, but is also a good watch in general:
Arc's Pivot Tutorial.

He explains some standard escape DIs in addition to how pivoting actually works.
Keep in mind that every character can actually pivot, it's just not nearly as useful as marth's.

If you don't think pivoting is good for Puff, you obviously don't know how to pivot rest...

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
i could see it being used in a pivotal moment
lol

Do you have any good sets recorded, or know of any? I figured you would be someone good to ask since 1. your OP in the other jiggs thread and 2. there is a shortage of this character. It is really hard trying to high level puff gameplay other than Hbox's that isn't super old. I'm probably sleeping on a few people but yeah :] I'm trying to better learn and understand this character.

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
epsilon does. record for the child mahone.

what do you guys think about a new puff player watching top level sets vs mid level sets?

MaPow

Smash Apprentice
i would like to see some mid-level sets actually. Watching Hbox definitely helps, but i've only seen a few mid level sets and i wonder if it would help more.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Mango's stuff is still very relevant IMO but watch HBox mainly vs Peach and mid tiers. King's combo game is still relevant too, since a lot of it is based on solid principles. Darc is the best to learn teams and I feel his stuff is a decent learning tool for singles too.

Some of the mid Puffs have a decent set or two each. But the above three probably have a better one for whatever you're trying to look up.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Sheridan is also notable, but he's not quite at the level of the ones KK mentioned

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Sheridan is solid. Probably the best of the mid level clusterpuff of Purins not quite tournament threat level. But there's nothing of him...

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
yeah, there really isn't

His team performance with Toph at the last Apex was alright though, and he had a pretty solid performance at Northwest Manifest.
(My NWM match was right before sheridan's, but I was hungover and had indigestion lol shoutouts to teczero. No johns though, Westballz is way better than me, but I was playing really off.)

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
johning is to try to justify a loss

I'm telling the truth of my physical state at that time, but admitting that Westballz is better than me and would have beaten me anyways.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
yeah, I guess I should have typed that better. I was more referring to why I looked like **** in the player cam haha. I was leaning over and shaking and stuff too

the "I was playing really off" was more of a side note, but sorry anyways I guess. :p

Bones0

Smash Legend
yeah, I guess I should have typed that better. I was more referring to why I looked like **** in the player cam haha. I was leaning over and shaking and stuff too

the "I was playing really off" was more of a side note, but sorry anyways I guess. :p

Now you're johning for your johns.

Disgusting.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
Have fun getting your rest parried then getting dair -> usmash KOed from 20%, you ****ing scrub.
? He can't do anything about it if he's in the middle of a dj-canceled nair. He can't shield, he doesn't have super armor, and he can't get super armor because he's already used his dj and anyways you can't jump in the middle of an aerial. I've done it before, looking at frame data it seems like there's a 2~3 frame window as long as you can get under his back foot. Resting it out of a crouch gives you a much larger window, but pivot rest does work.

Massive

Smash Champion
Is there anything you can do about ganon's dthrow? Ganons always gets a guaranteed aerial off of it.
The only thing to do: Don't get grabbed (duck it).

Seriously though, dthrow > bair is brutal. Gannon can't grab you at all if you're ducking, but if he grabs you at a high enough % that's your stock.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I was at impulse, I was krisp lol.

I'm from Toronto. I've played against hammer time quite a bit before, pound and nair works pretty well into a rest IMO but he has a good puff game so I'm still trying to figure that **** out.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
For ICs:
(usually back turned) weak hit nair -> rest

someone always dies

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
Is there anything you can do about ganon's dthrow? Ganons always gets a guaranteed aerial off of it.
WELL if you get grabbed at 0%, DI down and mash rest. If they screw up their spacing, they'll get hit! :smash:

but other than that, yeah just try and crouch all of his moves to avoid being grabbed in the first place.

Top Bottom