• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

bahnurnurrrr

Tenki

Smash Hero
So yeah.

I want banana tricks.

Help.

Apparently I really suck with items.
It's kinda funny because I "discovered" jump-cancelled throws last night.

Throws and slides
- Running toss:
[Run in a direction you want to throw the banana] > [C-stick (smash input/"direction+A") in direction you want to throw)]
Effect: You slow down as the banana gets thrown forward.

- Glide toss: You slide in the direction of the roll
[Roll in the direction of slide] + [C-stick in direction you want to throw]
Effect: You slide in the direction of your roll input while throwing the banana in the direction you C-stick. Considerably long slide, but can be shorter if you C-stick early enough.

- Jump-cancelled toss:
(While running) [Jump]+[C-stick in direction you want to throw]
Effect: You slide in the direction you're running, very similar to a glide toss. Note that if you do this at the beginning of your run (like, the part that'd probably end you in initial dash state), you'll get a shorter slide.

With all of these, if you just press A instead of C-stick, you'll probably just throw/slide forward.
-------
Kill setups:
- Forward JC/Glide Toss > F-smash
- Forward JC/Glide Toss > D-smash
- [while holding A] > C-stick left/right (F-smash while holding banana) [10/27]

Grab setups:
- Forward JC/Glide Toss (at max range of throw) > Grab
- SH/FH > Z- drop > (fastfall) Grab
- (grab) Pummel release (into a banana) > regrab [10/27]

Misc damage:
- SH > D-throw (banana hits opponent) > D-air (recatches banana) [10/27]
- SH > D-throw (banana hits opponent) > Z-catch [10/27]

Movement ??:
- Forward JC/Glide Toss > Instant Dash Attack forward (C-stick down as soon as you input a run)
- Run forward > Retreating Glide Toss down (roll back+C-stick down) > Instant Dash Attack forward
- Forward JC toss > neutral A (picks it up while you're sliding) > repeat [10/27]

atm I have only a little idea of what can be done with the ones in the "movement ??" section. So far, they will recatch the banana, but only if it doesn't hit anything.

I wanna see if you people, preferrably Diddy secondaries/ Sonic-Diddy dual mainers, have any banana tricks with Sonic that include using at least one banana, and keeps you in control of it.

Umby

Smash Master
Tbh, when working with items, you just improvise. Don't be too obvious and just c-stick them randomly, but instead do random things THEN c-stick them randomly!

No seriously, though. If all else slips your mind, just glide toss back -> c-stick down -> dash attack.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Hehe cool. I mean I always new how to glide toss, I just never implemented it. I already had a pretty good matchup with diddy personally(not to mention theyre too fun), actually using this should make it awesomer =P. I like how unlike most other characters, Sonic glide toss goes far on all of his tosses XD.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I don't use Diddy but I do use Peach so items (Turnips) are a big part of my game. I'll try offer some advice...

• Learn to Glide Toss. This is absolutely key. Don't rely on it too much though as Glide Tossing around like a steak on skies can potentially cause you to run into something nasty/is very easily countered
  • Make use of Z Dropping/Catching. Excellent way to drop an item without it being too obvious. It's also very handy for catching them in the air/if they're on a platform
  • If someone else happens to grab a banana of yours, don't panic. Never let them get the better of you. Although in this case..that doesn't really apply since you're trying to steal the banana off Diddy
  • Dash Attack (especially Sonic's since it goes so far) is a good way to pick up the bananas without slipping. Alternatly you could jump on them and use Nair to pick them up (I know this works with Peach but I'm not too sure about Sonic)

That's all I can really think of right now. Oh and don't forget, Sonic can't slip on banana skins when he's using either of his spindashes

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Wow, this could help me a lot. Whenever I play against a good Diddy, they make my Sonic look like sh*t. I suck with nanners.
The only thing I ever do is a glide toss>dash attack or just regular tosses.

SonicX580

Smash Lord
That's how I defeat diddy Puffball64 and also when diddy does his recovery move that's when I take him out.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I don't use Diddy but I do use Peach so items (Turnips) are a big part of my game. I'll try offer some advice...

• Learn to Glide Toss. This is absolutely key. Don't rely on it too much though as Glide Tossing around like a steak on skies can potentially cause you to run into something nasty/is very easily countered
  • Make use of Z Dropping/Catching. Excellent way to drop an item without it being too obvious. It's also very handy for catching them in the air/if they're on a platform
  • If someone else happens to grab a banana of yours, don't panic. Never let them get the better of you. Although in this case..that doesn't really apply since you're trying to steal the banana off Diddy
  • Dash Attack (especially Sonic's since it goes so far) is a good way to pick up the bananas without slipping. Alternatly you could jump on them and use Nair to pick them up (I know this works with Peach but I'm not too sure about Sonic)

That's all I can really think of right now. Oh and don't forget, Sonic can't slip on banana skins when he's using either of his spindashes
Yeah, I noticed Z-catching. I was kinda wondering how people were doing that, cause I'd usually end up airdodging right into an attack, or attacking to catch it and getting attacked out of it

I hate how Diddy's dash attack is like, rigged so it has more 'catch frames' than everyone else.

hmm .

i should make a long post. using bananas/turnips is like, one of my things
you should.

Wow, this could help me a lot. Whenever I play against a good Diddy, they make my Sonic look like sh*t. I suck with nanners.
The only thing I ever do is a glide toss>dash attack or just regular tosses.
Yeah, I get the same issue. Mediocre Diddy players give me problems, and it's usually because I spend WAAAY too much time trying to pick up bananas and failing and tripping on them instead, or doing something like F-smash into banana instead of picking it up. Or I attack and Diddy gets control back.

Glide toss to grab.
D; they do it to me all the time, lol

Maybe it's because of lack of practice, but I really have to put an effort to thinking about movements like this D;

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Words of Tenki.
I think its ridiculous the amount of priority banana's have. Dropped Banana> Tornado and Spindash/Charge? Geez.

Umm so long as diddy isnt holding a banana, SDR isn't too bad of an approach. But most of the time you should keep yourself doing aerials like Fair, or dash attacking like crazy. Sonics dash attack has quite a bit of "catch frames". I'm pretty sure that it works so that as long as the hitbox is out, you can catch. The thing is that diddy's dash attack has like no end lag wahatsoever, while sonics dash attack does. But there is no better way to pick up nanners than dash attack.

I'm pretty sure those stuffies like glide toss> dash attack will become second nature once you get used to it/use it more.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Sonics dash attack has quite a bit of "catch frames". I'm pretty sure that it works so that as long as the hitbox is out, you can catch. The thing is that diddy's dash attack has like no end lag wahatsoever, while sonics dash attack does. But there is no better way to pick up nanners than dash attack.

I'm pretty sure those stuffies like glide toss> dash attack will become second nature once you get used to it/use it more.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't last the whole time the hitbox is out. I get knocked out of dash attacks/trip on bananas (due to online input lag, mind you) somewhat often, too.

I think the radius of 'catch' for Sonic seems to be about 2-3 Sonic feet/shoes, whether aerial /airdodge or dash attack. It's definitely longer range than his standing pick.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
ok

heres the deal

i downloaded this thing

that lets me

use my dazzle

on my mac

so

maybe

probably not

but possibly

make a video

but in any case

i can record now

yay

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Memphis you should make a post, definatly. If you have new tricks since we played I'd love to know them. :-)

And Tenki, play Diddy. Play Diddy for a day. It'll make Dash Attack pick ups much easier. It's how I learned to do it with Sonic better, after you get really used to timing it with Diddy you learn it with Sonic really quick. I'm not sure how much larger the window is for Diddy, but waiting for them to dash is how alot of Diddy's try to regain their bananas, so play with your timing.

The biggest way to figure out good tricks for banana use is to improvise. Learn your Glide Toss distance and treat it like a wave dash. You are sliding in a standing animation and can do standing attacks(once the basic toss animation is done). Good thing to remember... Sonic tosses just about as far as he slides. So throw to instant dash attack (Smash Forward + C Down) will usually repick up and land a quick attack which you can often follow up with a standing throw back and whatever else.

You can SH over and throw down, if you mash Grab/Z you'll recatch, can than fast fall for a forward throw, setting up a mini banana lock.

Back Glide Toss Down Throw is great for screwing with grounded aproaches and people coming from above, with Sonic I do it back into a nearby edge since the slide stops there and sets up for an easy follow up.

Also, Tenki, anytime you want to play around with the Sonic/Diddy match up feel free to find me(My AIM SN is the same as my Smash Boards name). Anything we find on either end can only help out the match up for both of us.

I HATE DITTOS. I main three characters specifically to avoid them to be honest. Granted I know my Diddy isn't Advent, NynjaKong or AlphaZealots but hopefully I can help out at least.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
This thread was good, for the record. Plus it might lead to me getting to play the great Tenki some more.

Grabs are your best bet from a Glide Tossed Banana, it would seem.

Tenki

Smash Hero
isn't that like a RAR jump > walk?

His attacks aren't slippery so it doesn't really make a difference, if you're trying to do a sliding attack.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
No.

you simply jump forward. Hold back (gently) then attack.

grounded crag walk is when you tap in one direction then hold in the other.

Main reason I ask is primarily for grabbing.
We know that Sonic slides alot so if it can be used with grabs , well, yeah.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Doesn't SDR roll right over bananas unphased?
If they're set on the floor by the time you roll over them, they don't trip you.

If one is thrown at you anytime during any spins, you will trip.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Is it possible to for Sonic to dribble nanners like Diddy can? I know Sonic has a beast glide toss, we could totally reverse the nanners on Diddy and be like "Lulz, I iz liek u!"

Napilopez

Smash Lord
If they're set on the floor by the time you roll over them, they don't trip you.

If one is thrown at you anytime during any spins, you will trip.
Which I'd just like to point out how ridiculous that is... Geez. Going through robots, boulders and mountains with a spin, but gets pwned by a banana peel.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Still, it's pretty sweet that we can SDR right over bananas. It's totally thrown off some Diddy's I've played against.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Is it possible to for Sonic to dribble nanners like Diddy can? I know Sonic has a beast glide toss, we could totally reverse the nanners on Diddy and be like "Lulz, I iz liek u!"
I think it's possible to do it if you can consistently perform the 'short glide toss'.

Otherwise, the closest thing we have is reverse d-throw glidetoss > instant dash attack forward.

Still, it's pretty sweet that we can SDR right over bananas. It's totally thrown off some Diddy's I've played against.
Really? Most Diddy's I play just throw them at me.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Sonic should throw steak, it'd be awesome, but steak is too delicious to be thrown. Unlike stupid nanerz. :p

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I think it's possible to do it if you can consistently perform the 'short glide toss'.

Otherwise, the closest thing we have is reverse d-throw glidetoss > instant dash attack forward.

Really? Most Diddy's I play just throw them at me.
Yea isn't glide toss distance on timing or something? it should be possible, just more difficult.

As for SDR over bananas it mostly just useful when like, you use a quick ASC to SDR, so you wont immediately trip over bananas. Its not gamebreaking, but its nice to have.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yea isn't glide toss distance on timing or something? it should be possible, just more difficult.

As for SDR over bananas it mostly just useful when like, you use a quick ASC to SDR, so you wont immediately trip over bananas. Its not gamebreaking, but its nice to have.
you have no idea how many times I ASC > shield cancel on a banana and trip instead lol.

PS. Z-catching is amazing.

Top Bottom