• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bad Idea Mafia! GAME OVER! MAFIA WINS!

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Rocherman, the thing is mafia is usually more of a team defined game. In this every individual has a lot of power. The reason FF is limiting this to players with experience is that if you don't know the original game well, you're almost guaranteed to make mistakes, and they're much more costly in a game like this than in a regular game. I suggest hanging around and joining the next regular and/or newbie game if you're interested in the game, but I can definitely see requiring experience for a game in which mistakes are this costly.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I want to take part at this...if you have a spot left you can count me in!

:059:

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Unfairness. I read the rules and I get the gist of it. This is BS.............
roacherman, it is not bs. Please try to understand that you simply got unlucky with the first game you tried to play, as this game is majorly different in a lot of ways.

we have never really put any great restrictions on game moderators. if they want to, they can pick and choose signups, allowing people to take reservations before the thread goes live or disallowing players to play for whatever reason. in this case, BIM is a very unique game and frozenflame is imposing an experience restriction. To be perfectly honest with you, a lot of forums REQUIRE players to play in Newbie games before they are allowed to play in themed or alt-rule games. So it is not BS, it is just not what you expected. I am sure you are not the only player that this will affect, and I can assure you that this will be one of a very very small amount of games that you will be restricted from playing.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Hey Frozenflame, how long would there have to be without any more people signing up for me to get a spot?

Chaco

Never Logs In
Unfairness. I read the rules and I get the gist of it. This is BS.............
Hey, trust me. If this was my first game I wouldn't want to be in it. As Frozen said, the sheer amount of mistakes that are possible is just baffling. Like, you'd be so confused because there are no simple roles. Even townie can kill. So I'd wait until these two games finish for for the next newbie mafia. (If the current even finishes, with it's luck)

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
So I'd wait until these two games finish for for the next newbie mafia.
i dont understand what you mean by 'these two'

@Frozenflame: Am I correct in assuming that the setup is 8 townies, 2 cops, 2 bombs, 2 goons, 1 godfather?

Chaco

Never Logs In
I meant or, and put for. I meant when one of these games (Bad Idea or MegaMafia) finish, or until the next Newbie mafia.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Rockin and Nicholas added to the game. Rockin for having the credentials, Nicholas for showing commitment

The game has also been expanded to 16 players, leaving one spot open.

@ Tom: The setup will be 8 townies, 2 cops, 2 bombs, 3 goons, 1 GF.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
To all those that happened to discuss the Day 1 quickdraw shoot-off, I am no longer entertaining that strategy as a viable option. Simply put, Frozenflame has decided to enforce an experience requirement on this game, and I had entertained joining that fun little Day 1 contest as a means to eliminate the most obviously inexperienced player. Frozenflame has done his part as a moderator to ensure that poor play will not be allowed due to inexperience, and I feel that I should do my own personal part to ensure that I will not play poorly due to shooting first and asking questions later.

To all of you who are still taking part in it, I'm not telling you to stop, but I am asking you to think about why I'm no longer purposefully going to jump the gun on Day 1. What is the difference between an ignorant newbie player making a mistake and ending the Day and an experienced player making a blind shot for fun, making a mistake, and ending the Day? Imho, there isn't one.

Riddle

Smash Lord
i have played a couple of mafiascum games and am currently in newbie mafia

as the people in newb mafia can probably attest to i am an intelligent poster and i think before i act

sorry about the lack of capitals periods and commas my keyboard isn"t working right

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
I agree with Tom on that, Riddle seems to know what he's doing in newbie, so he would make a viable choice for the last spot methinks

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
To all those that happened to discuss the Day 1 quickdraw shoot-off, I am no longer entertaining that strategy as a viable option. Simply put, Frozenflame has decided to enforce an experience requirement on this game, and I had entertained joining that fun little Day 1 contest as a means to eliminate the most obviously inexperienced player. Frozenflame has done his part as a moderator to ensure that poor play will not be allowed due to inexperience, and I feel that I should do my own personal part to ensure that I will not play poorly due to shooting first and asking questions later.

To all of you who are still taking part in it, I'm not telling you to stop, but I am asking you to think about why I'm no longer purposefully going to jump the gun on Day 1. What is the difference between an ignorant newbie player making a mistake and ending the Day and an experienced player making a blind shot for fun, making a mistake, and ending the Day? Imho, there isn't one.
I should shoot you as soon as I get the chance. :)

In all seriousness, this is Bad Idea Mafia. Depending on the person, people may be quick to pull the trigger.

Although I already have a remedy in mind in preventing premature blastings.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Riddle is a smart guy, if my opinion holds any weight here.
Lol, thanks for your endorsement, but I think that with such a lowly position of super moderator of decisive games the host probably won't listen to you.

Thanks mentos and Kevin as well. Your endorsement means a lot to me.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
In all seriousness, this is Bad Idea Mafia. Depending on the person, people may be quick to pull the trigger.
um, duh? lol. that's what i felt the need to explain my change of heart.

I hope to god it isn't a 'sheriff's law' "eye for an eye" sort of knee-jerk thing. because that would lead to a bad game.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Riddle is in. Role PM's will go out later today and the game will start once everyone has confirmed.

Also, @ Tom

Tom said:
if the mafia godfather is no longer alive, would mafia majority still end the game even though they couldn't have control over the lynch because there IS no lynch?
No, it would not. I was considering making the GF daykill and inheritable ability, or inheritable as a one shot thing, but I decided not to. Thus, if the mafia reaches mathematical parity without the GF alive, then no, the game will not enter endgame and auto resolve. Such a scenario will likely simply be allowed to play out naturally.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
shoot whoever shoots without your permission?

because that'd be a ****ing terrible idea considering about 1/3 of Town can't shoot

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sorry for the double post but I figured this warranted a bump.

I'll be going out around 7:30 EST and won't be back until really late. I'm just as excited to get this started as the rest of you, so I've decided to start the game before I leave.

As of right now, the game's official start time with be at 7 PM EST, TONIGHT.

Only two people haven't confirmed so I don't think it'll be an issue. I'm sure they'll hop right in soon.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Alright, I've gotten a crazy (in a normal game) idea.

The bomb roles should claim right now.

And here's why:

Case 1: No mafia counter-claim

1) Two people are instantly cleared.
2) Even if mafia decides to night-kill the cleared people, it keeps them from hitting a more useful townie that can daykill.
3) Townies no longer have to risk hitting a bomb so potential casualties are reduced.

Case 2: A mafia counter-claims

In this case, we know that one of the three bomb claims is mafia. So, instead of 3 out of 15, we've found 1 mafia out of 3 people, which is better odds. Also great!

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
@Marshy

If that proves to be an actual daykill, then I really want to know just what you were thinking...

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Probably the same reason I'm thinking: Inactivity.

And also, wouldn't the only way to prove a bomb claim is by actually shooting them, thus possibily creating more possible casualties?

Top Bottom