• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bad Idea Mafia! GAME OVER! MAFIA WINS!

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey everyone, and welcome to Bad Idea Mafia!

I was told that in order to get my super-special-once-in-a-lifetime-jump-up-the-doom-list-of-waiting exception, I needed to get this game up A.S.A.P. So here it is!

Bad Idea Mafia is just like it sounds, a spinoff of traditional mafia with a ruleset that many would probably call a "bad idea" prior to ever seeing it inception. Allow me to explain.

THE RULES:

In Bad Idea Mafia (hereby know as BIM), there is NO VOTING WHATSOEVER. Yes, you heard me, no voting, which as a result, means NO LYNCHING. The only ways people will die in this game are by daykilling, and night killing. There are five roles in this game (which will be explained in greater detail later): Townie, Cop, Bomb, Goon, and Godfather. Of these roles the Townies and the Godfather may daykill any player by writing Daykill: <player> at any point during the day, as many times as they'd like throughout the game. Upon this power being evoked, the day will immediately go into twilight and then move on to nightphase, during which the mafia will select a victim to kill. The game will then move on to day phase once again, and the cycle will repeat until the Town has eliminated all of the mafia, or the Mafia has reached numerical parity with the town that would logically eliminate the possibility of town victory.

Other than those stipulations, the game will more or less proceed like a normal mafia game. You will debate and discuss during the day and tremble in fear by night (unless of course, you're the mafia XP) .

This game will not have any preset deadlines. I as the moderator will impose/extend/remove deadlines as I see fit based on the game's activity. However, as a result of the very nature of this game, I can't really see this being an issue.

As previously stated, all Townies and the Godfather have the ability to Daykill ANY PLAYER AT ANY TIME during the day. However, this does have one small side effect. Any player who chooses to daykill another player will be on "cooldown" for the first 24 hours of the next day. This effect DOES stack. What this means is, for every player you day kill, you will have to wait a full 24 hours PER KILL after the start of the next in-game day, before you can use your daykill ability again. As previously stated, this effect does stack and will NEVER go away or be reduced (unless of course, you die).

THE ROLES:

Townie (8 players)

You are a not-so-normal townie in a not so normal game. In your town, the right to bear arms is a right that everyone seems to make use of. Problem? Shoot it. That's your village philosophy.

You possess the ability to day kill ANY player except yourself at ANY time during the day by simply posting Daykill: <player> in any of your posts. That person will be removed from the game as a casualty and the game will proceed to night phase. You may use this ability as many times as you'd like throughout the game, however, for every person you have daykilled in the game, you will be subject to a 24 hour "cooldown" period at the start of each in-game day, during which you will be unable to daykill anyone. As stated, this effect DOES STACK and will NEVER go away.

You win when the mafia has been completely eliminated.

Happy killing!
Cop (2 players)

You are a town cop. You possess the ability to investigate one player per night and learn their alignment. This ability will never fail (unless you die that night) and is guaranteed to give accurate results with the exception of the result you will receive if you investigate the Godfather. He will appear to be town alligned.

Unlike the rest of your fellow townspeople, you may not shoot someone who has not been proven to be a threat to the peace. Therefore, you must refrain from killing those involved in this "investigation."

You win when the town has completely eliminated the mafia.
Bomb (2 players)

You are a living bomb. And by that, I mean the mafia strapped some explosive devices to your body while you slept at some point. These devices are well hidden under your clothes and are VERY sensitive. If you are daykilled, you will cause an explosion that will randomly kill one other town aligned player who is NOT also a bomb. This will not happen if you are nightkilled (it would be silly for the Mafia to set off their own explosives as they assassinate you, yes?).

Because the bombs strapped to you are so sensitive, firing your own firearm will set them off. As a result, you may not participate in the day killing.

You win when the town completely eliminates the mafia.
Mafia Goon (3 players)

You are a basic mafia thug. Your goal is to subvert the town and help your boss, the Godfather, rise to power. As a thug, you normally wield cookie-cutter type pistols to do your dirty work, but to wield such a weapon in the middle of the day would reveal as a mafiat nigh instantly. As a result, you've disarmed yourself like the Cops and the Bombs in order to better blend in.

You win when the mafia achieves a mathematical parity with the town such that the logical result of the game's procession would be an elimination of the town. Your fellow goons are X, Y and your Godfather is Z. You may communicate with each other at any time during the game outside of the thread.
Godfather (1 player)

You are the leader of the mafia that is trying to subvert this town of armed maniacs and rise to power. Having stolen so much weaponry from these people over time and hoarding it all for yourself, you can easily brandish a firearm that no one would recognize as overly suspicious. Just like the vast majority of the town, you possess the ability to day kill ANY player except yourself at ANY time during the day by simply posting Daykill: <player> in any of your posts. That person will be removed from the game as a casualty and the game will proceed to night phase. You may use this ability as many times as you'd like throughout the game, however, for every person you have daykilled in the game, you will be subject to a 24 hour "cooldown" period at the start of each in-game day, during which you will be unable to daykill anyone. As stated, this effect DOES STACK and will NEVER go away.

You will appear to be town if ever investigated by a cop.

You win when the mafia achieves a mathematical parity with the town such that the logical result of the game's procession would be an elimination of the town. Your fellow goons are X, Y and Z. You may communicate with each other at any time during the game outside of the thread.

I believe that's the gist of it. This game is for 15 players so sign up quick! I imagine the spots will go quite fast.

Tom gets the super-special-first-spot-auto-ins as reciprocation for letting me jump ahead in hosting priority. And because he asked. XD

KevinM gets spot #2 because I'm a big jerk and automatically assumed he killed me N1 in our first EpicMafia game together lol. And also, because he asked.

1.) Tom [Mafia Goon - Survived]
2.) KevinM [Townie - Shot Day 3]
3.) Marshy [Townie - Murdered Night 2]
4.) Chaco [Cop - Endgame'd]
5.) Omni [Mafia Goon - Survived]
6.) Handorin [Godfather - Survived]
7.) Florida [Townie - Shot Day 2]
8.) Pythag [Mafia Goon - Survived]
9.) mentosman8 [Townie - Murdered Night 1]
10.) junglefever [Bomb - Endgame'd]
11.) Macman [Townie - Murdered Night 3]
12.) Ronike [Townie - Endgame'd]
13.) Ignatius [Townie - Shot Day 1]
14.) Nicholas1024 [Bomb - Endgame'd]
15.) Rockin [Townie - Endgame'd]
16.) Riddle [Cop - Endgame'd]

This thread will be edited later by me with more fine tuned rules and a complete list of roles for public viewing. Cheers!

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
thanks for signing me up. you should explain the bomb and the cop in detail in the OP so people don't get confused about bombs only blowing up during day. kevinM says thank you over the phonesies. also, if the mafia godfather is no longer alive, would mafia majority still end the game even though they couldn't have control over the lynch because there IS no lynch?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Excuse me let me go in but Im noob at mafia seeing as this is my first one so Im asking if someone could guide me through this :chuckle: XD. Anyways sign me up

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Roacherman, I would almost say I would wait and join a more normal game, but its your prerogative.

No one is going to hold your hand though and to be honest I'll shoot you the second day one starts unless Airgemini shows up.

(welcome to decisive games, most of this post is JK)

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Roacherman, I would almost say I would wait and join a more normal game, but its your prerogative.

No one is going to hold your hand though and to be honest I'll shoot you the second day one starts unless Airgemini shows up.

(welcome to decisive games, most of this post is JK)
Oh dont worry Ill eventually catch on how to play this acursed game :chuckle:

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sorry folks, but if you've never played forum mafia before, you're not allowed to play in this game. Individual players have way too much power and noob mistakes can wreak much more havoc than a normal game.

Right now I would PREFER to have all players have atleast 2 full games of forum mafia under their belt before playing in this one, but if I can't fill the game with people who have that experience, then I'll take people with only one game under their belt.

Ignatius, Roacherman, Riddle, Cacti, Nicholas1024 and kirbyoshi: All of you have either indicated that you've never played foum mafia before, OR I wasn't sure if you had 2 or more games under your belt. If you have evidence to the contrary, let me know and I'll put you on the list immediately.

EDIT: OP edited to included roles. More will likely be tweaked as sign-ups finish up. I'll alert you guys in the thread when I make changes. Any questions or concerns let me know here or take it up with me via PM.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
frozen iggy's played a few forum games before definitely at least 2. i think the others have only played 1 on here at most and they should link if they've played on different forums

good policy though. i was about to just shoot one of the newer players because town needs to play optimally

that's kind of a contradiction

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ronike added to the list.

@Marshy: I honestly just didn't know how may games Iggy had played in. That's why hes on the "in question" list. If you, Iggy, or anyone for that matter can link me to two games hes played to completion in (meaning, not replaced and the game wasn't canceled) I'll add him right away.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Sorry folks, but if you've never played forum mafia before, you're not allowed to play in this game. Individual players have way too much power and noob mistakes can wreak much more havoc than a normal game.

Right now I would PREFER to have all players have atleast 2 full games of forum mafia under their belt before playing in this one, but if I can't fill the game with people who have that experience, then I'll take people with only one game under their belt.

Ignatius, Roacherman, Riddle, Cacti, Nicholas1024 and kirbyoshi: All of you have either indicated that you've never played foum mafia before, OR I wasn't sure if you had 2 or more games under your belt. If you have evidence to the contrary, let me know and I'll put you on the list immediately.

EDIT: OP edited to included roles. More will likely be tweaked as sign-ups finish up. I'll alert you guys in the thread when I make changes. Any questions or concerns let me know here or take it up with me via PM.
I was in Spider-Manfia, which just finished. Have not played in any other mafia games as of yet. Still, I would REALLY like to join...

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Ronike added to the list.

@Marshy: I honestly just didn't know how may games Iggy had played in. That's why hes on the "in question" list. If you, Iggy, or anyone for that matter can link me to two games hes played to completion in (meaning, not replaced and the game wasn't canceled) I'll add him right away.
he has played more than 2 games to completion but they are in the back room. im moving them to dgames in a few days as i prune them of personal/secret information and edit them for spoilers, but ignatius is undeniably legit.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was in Spider-Manfia, which just finished. Have not played in any other mafia games as of yet. Still, I would REALLY like to join...
Ok, I'll still consider you, but if more people with 2 or more game under their belt sign up, I'll have to give them priority.

also, if the mafia godfather is no longer alive, would mafia majority still end the game even though they couldn't have control over the lynch because there IS no lynch?
A great question. This is actually an issue of balance that I've been considering since I decided I wanted to host this game. I'll probably be tweaking the rules to remove this scenario from the game. I've considered a few options and have yet to decide what I wanna do. I'll probably update the rules again tonight with the answer. :)

EDIT: Ah ha, BRoom games. That's why I didn't remember seeing him in more than one game. =P

If you guys vouch, he's clear. Added, etc.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
What is the townie:bomb:cop:mafia:GF ratio?
I'm assuming the last 3 are 3:3:1

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
sorry Folks, But If You've Never Played Forum Mafia Before, You're Not Allowed To Play In This Game. Individual Players Have Way Too Much Power And Noob Mistakes Can Wreak Much More Havoc Than A Normal Game.

Right Now I Would Prefer To Have All Players Have Atleast 2 Full Games Of Forum Mafia Under Their Belt Before Playing In This One, But If I Can't Fill The Game With People Who Have That Experience, Then I'll Take People With Only One Game Under Their Belt.

Ignatius, Roacherman, Riddle, Cacti, Nicholas1024 And Kirbyoshi: All Of You Have Either Indicated That You've Never Played Foum Mafia Before, Or I Wasn't Sure If You Had 2 Or More Games Under Your Belt. If You Have Evidence To The Contrary, Let Me Know And I'll Put You On The List Immediately.

Edit: Op Edited To Included Roles. More Will Likely Be Tweaked As Sign-ups Finish Up. I'll Alert You Guys In The Thread When I Make Changes. Any Questions Or Concerns Let Me Know Here Or Take It Up With Me Via Pm.
.. .

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings

Unfairness. I read the rules and I get the gist of it. This is BS.............

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sorry roacher, but here's the deal.

The balance mechanics of Bad Idea Mafia are of great interest to me. I've spent a lot of timee contemplating the game type and how best to balance it (considering how horribly imbalanced the original was) and as such, I'd like to see my game design tested by experienced, quality players. Without such players, I won't be able to draw reliable conclusions about the metagame, and as such, won't be able to take anything out of how the game plays out in order to further modify my setup in order to optimize the game.

There's that, and of course the fact that I'm sure the people who are playing will appreciate a group of quality players to play this game with, considering how easy it would be for a new player to get out of control and make horrendous mistakes out of sheer ignorance.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Unfairness. I read the rules and I get the gist of it. This is BS.............
Understand, this is not the usual Mafia's we play. I mean, Townies have the option to kill one another by a mere bold of letters, and asigning that to new people would cause chaos and instead, give town as a whole a random chance of surviving. It's not unfair when you look at it. It's a rule

Top Bottom