• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

B reversal lasers (With video)

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I cant record the replays today, my video cam died during the tournament and now is being a b****.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Hmm, interesting.. I'll have to incorp. this stuff into my Falco. I'm glad to see that there is much more I can learn about Falco. I'm also very curious as to what this reversal stuff actually looks like. In addition, I'm curious as to how useful it is.

A vid would work wonders, someone turn record his replays please! ;D

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Hmm, interesting.. I'll have to incorp. this stuff into my Falco. I'm glad to see that there is much more I can learn about Falco. I'm also very curious as to what this reversal stuff actually looks like. In addition, I'm curious as to how useful it is.

A vid would work wonders, someone turn record his replays please! ;D
If you have an SD card you can just put it on your wii and watch it yourself... : P

Dan_X

Smash Lord
If you have an SD card you can just put it on your wii and watch it yourself... : P
Yeah dude, believe me, I would. It's just, I have no way of connecting my SD card to the computer... So, yeah that sucks.

I suppose I could buy an external adapter...

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna record them RITE NAO!!!11 :laugh:

EDIT: RECORDED!! w00t They'll be on youtube within an hour at the most.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
Omg my video has too many typos and mistakes, I'm gonna fix it.

EDIT: Actually I'm too lazy for that right now so I'll re upload the current video and fix it tomorrow. :chuckle:

(I'm such a procrastinator)

EDIT: Updated link above.

Buddha

Smash Apprentice
great find.

but seriously, how is this at all more useful than normal SHDL or reverse-SHDL? yes i realize the difference is that momentum is stopped/changed so you end up doing it in-place as opposed to moving horizontally. i just dont see how its worth it...

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
great find.

but seriously, how is this at all more useful than normal SHDL or reverse-SHDL? yes i realize the difference is that momentum is stopped/changed so you end up doing it in-place as opposed to moving horizontally. i just dont see how its worth it...
No, it's not supposed to be in place. That's an error on my part. The only real double reversals are where you see falco rebound backwards from the lasers. It's so you can jump in, laser, and you'll move backwards out of harm while lasering at the same time.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
thanks Exousia!! good job!

EDIT:

After watching the vid, I have a question about reversal lasers... It seems that on average the 1st laser misses the enemy and the 2nd one may hit in the head. Is that just because the timing was off? If it had nothing to do with timing, then wouldn't regular SHDL be better because both lasers hit.

What uses does this reversal laser have that makes it so useful? A retreating laser?

Instead of doing this, what I've been doing is run from my enemy, then in the midst of my dashing, turn quickly then jump right away, then execute the double lasers. It works as a retreating laser. If done correctly, you'll still move through the air in the direction you had been originally running, though you'll be shooting lasers at the enemy. So... reversals are more useful then doing this technique?

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman

EDIT:

After watching the vid, I have a question about reversal lasers... It seems that on average the 1st laser misses the enemy and the 2nd one may hit in the head. Is that just because the timing was off? If it had nothing to do with timing, then wouldn't regular SHDL be better because both lasers hit.

What uses does this reversal laser have that makes it so useful? A retreating laser?

Instead of doing this, what I've been doing is run from my enemy, then in the midst of my dashing, turn quickly then jump right away, then execute the double lasers. It works as a retreating laser. If done correctly, you'll still move through the air in the direction you had been originally running, though you'll be shooting lasers at the enemy. So... reversals are more useful then doing this technique?

ya i do that as well

i guess the reversal lasers could be a good approach, and the lasers Orca talks about would be a good run away tactic

redgreenblue

Smash Ace

EDIT:

SHDL only hits with the second laser on everybody but like... Ganondorf. Second laser should always hit with SHDL of any form, it was just poor timing on my part.

Well... yes. They are very unpredictable. You can spam SH to someone and lasering while moving backwards without getting harmed. You can't spam running away while lasering. It's just about retreating... it's about being able to get in close and do it over and over.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
SHDL only hits with the second laser on everybody but like... Ganondorf. Second laser should always hit with SHDL of any form, it was just poor timing on my part.

Well... yes. They are very unpredictable. You can spam SH to someone and lasering while moving backwards without getting harmed. You can't spam running away while lasering. It's just about retreating... it's about being able to get in close and do it over and over.
Yeah you're right, the first laser always misses but it doesn't really matter because it's meant to make approach difficult. If they jump, it catches them. The second laser, the most important one, always hits, and done correctly hits any character, even Olimar or Kirby. My bad on the first laser confusion, for some reason I thought it hit sometimes, maybe that's because my enemy always gets caught in it with a jump.

I'll have to practice this more, I can pull it off, but it's not yet first nature for me to execute this technique. I actually practiced this a while back when I first heard about B-reversals, at the time however I didn't see the practicality so I stopped practicing. Though now I see why mastering it can benefit. More options yields more chances for success.

ya i do that as well

i guess the reversal lasers could be a good approach, and the lasers Orca talks about would be a good run away tactic
Yeah, in the end, as for retreating, it works nicely. Thanks to the fact that you keep moving away from the enemy that you're running from, due to the consistency of directional momentum. I mean, as you jump then shoot you're moving backwards through the air the entire time.

Rat

Smash Lord
Still working on the double reverse double lasers, but that should come shortly. The motion is really fluid, and feels cool when done right.

Do we have any good applications for this yet?

TheX0913

Smash Apprentice
Jersey City, New Jersey; Cornell at Ithaca, New Yo
I am new here, but i seem to be missing the physics in this move. When falco jumps in the air and does NB he doesn't recoil...but if you run foward and press b you still stay going foward...why is it that in the video falco jumps, does NB, and goes back? i can only do this when i run foward jump, DI back and press b...

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
I am new here, but i seem to be missing the physics in this move. When falco jumps in the air and does NB he doesn't recoil...but if you run foward and press b you still stay going foward...why is it that in the video falco jumps, does NB, and goes back? i can only do this when i run foward jump, DI back and press b...
Brawl reversal is unique in regards to the melee reversal in that it reverses the characters momentum completely. If your momentum is forward, a reversal will make you go backward and vice versa. The double reversal is basically flipping your laser backwards first with the melee reversal (which doesn't alter your momentum), then flipping it with the brawl reversal, so that you're facing forwards while your momentum is switched so you go backwards.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Wait.... This B-Reversal can thus be used to avoid horizontal KOs ? It stops momentum....
Depends if you can do it fast enough. Air dodge comes out faster than anything, yes? I suppose if you air dodge early enough you'll run out of hitsun but you'll still have momentum... b-reversal could easily be used at that point to recover horizontally, yes.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
wait, are you talking about using the lasers to Stop your momentum in the air like Fox's Shine does?

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
Ah, reverse the momentum so you fly towards the stage instead of off the stage and getting KO'd right?

forward

Smash Champion
If you do the b-reversal so late that the laser doesn't come out, Falco will run/walk in the direction you reversal. I think it's a little faster than landing normally, and, I haven't tested this but, I think it would be good to set up FS. Jump in, land walking away, FS.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
If you do the b-reversal so late that the laser doesn't come out, Falco will run/walk in the direction you reversal. I think it's a little faster than landing normally, and, I haven't tested this but, I think it would be good to set up FS. Jump in, land walking away, FS.
Good idea! Seriously. Or maybe like... do it so that you do the reversal into the ground but with the no frame laser... so you're running with the laser... you can combo from there. I think that may have quite a lot of combo potential.

Rat

Smash Lord
That works too ff you do a single reversal laser real low to the ground. I think it buffers the turn around animation as a run/walk in that direction.

J4pu

Smash Champion
I'm sorry if this already got addressed but i don't feel like reading all the posts,
I was trying this out and it only seems to work when you laser immediately after jumping which means the timing is off for a correct double laser or a single laser that will hit anybody who isnt in the air.

If this is correct I'd say this will be useless and you'll just have to decide on what air momentum you want before leaving the ground which honestly doesn't make that much of a difference since a quick "RAR" > SH > neutral B (I'm not sure if RAR stands for the actual A attack but just do the RAR analog stick motion without the A attack) will give you reverse momentum and a dash dance/run > SH > neutral B will give you forward momentum without forcing you to do much moving on the ground
I say dash dance because it makes it unknown whether your momentum will be forward or reverse since it has the same startup as the reverse momentum tech.

I was doing this w/o changing to B-stick because C-stick is more useful in general. Someone please correct me if it is possible to get this momentum change (using c-stick setup) and fire the lasers at the correct time

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
well, wave-bouncing kinda is, instead its mostly done in the air,

I think wave-bounce should just be renamed to Sky Diving or something funky xD

Top Bottom