• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Awww, did I win? - Peach MU Discussion

Angrycuban

Smash Journeyman
<3
She takes time. Most of the characters in the game are easy for people to pick up and just use gimmicks to win. Or have easy auto pilot combos. Peach is nothing like that at all. Most people don't even have to know the match up vs you to win cause of what I stated above.

One important you must learn is her Neutral game. The Neutral Game is what fighting game players call the times when neither player is hitting the other very much and neither player has gotten a combo recently or a Knockdown to apply pressure from. It primarily involves fighting for positioning and attempting to get that first hit to gain an upper hand.

A solid neutral game makes it hard for people to just jump in on you. You are seriously making them work their butt off to get a hit. This is something you have to know how to do against every character you face. Or else, even if you are the smarter opponent, people will just jump in on you for free just throwing out moves and hoping for the best.

I don't really have any videos of myself online. My Peach is mostly under the radar unless I'm at D1's house being stream. But I do play the game when I get the chance and I do know a lot of things. So I can be of some help for some here.
yeah peach is a very neutral game heavy character in most match ups too (exluding spacies and falcon). Its more important for her than a lot of characters.

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Peach is good on Dreamland, and especially with so many good recoveries, I don't find her to potent there.
In some matchups, like Charizard or Fox (they made double lasers easier qq) Dreamland sux

She works better on smaller stages like Yoshi's Island, Dreamland, ect..
Dreamland is... small ? wot

It depends in the match-up. IMO there is not reason to pick Yoshi's over FoD.

where here D-Smash edgeguard spikes can come into play & where she can d-smash on top of platforms safely
Those are two really bad habits of Peach players. D-Smash is not a safe edgeguard and there are better and safer options to finish stocks. Also, people past a certain level will start punishing you for this D-Smash on plataforms habit. Watch out.

She also kills A LOT faster on smaller stages. Big stages just give opponents that are faster too much room to breathe & regain a lead.
And she gets killed a lot faster too. It's a double edge'd sword since she lives a lot longer than other characters.

Few characters can exploit speed and get the lead back (I'm looking at you Fox) so this shouldn't be a major concern.

Welp I guess I have talent for Peach as she was the only character that felt natural & I did well with
My route was kinda the same. I started as ICs main and after asking to a friend for some tips ("You should learn how to wavedash LMAO") I decided to play Peach and I started winning a lot more than I was before (though I would play 1000 friendlies and only win one against someone's 3rd character, so any improvement would be huge lol).

After a while, I stagnated. Past a certain level, all those Peach gimmicks stop working and you have to catch-up on a lot of stuff. Fundamental play is REALLY good with her. Pressing a ****load of buttons also. Peach is weird :p

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Ey, I'm trying to become a solid Peach player and I was wondering what characters she does the best against? General tips are also appreciated but this isn't the right thread for that.

Last edited:

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
Ey, I'm trying to become a solid Peach player and I was wondering what characters she does the best against? General tips are also appreciated but this isn't the right thread for that.
It's kinda hard to tell right now who she is does well against because of all the changes in 3.5. I personally think she does well against everyone (I don't think she has an MUs that are worse than 50-50), you just need to know Peach fundamentals/tech and to do and not to do against the character. Peach is really good in P:M, it's just that barely anyone actually uses her and therefor her meta isn't developing quickly.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Now what's the best way I can learn Peach fundamentals/tech because I feel I haven't been improving or innovating my play with her. Sorry for derailing the thread.

Last edited:

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
(I don't think she has an MUs that are worse than 50-50)
MK is still hard, C. Falcon is harder than Melee, Fox is harder than Melee, Ivysaur while less ****ty might still be annoying as ****, Zelda definitely edges Peach, Pikachu I didn't play enough but I suppose Pika wins, Marth and Roy are still complicated but feasible.

For the rest, whatever, if you play well enough, Peach looks like an unbeatable monster lel.

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
MK is still hard, C. Falcon is harder than Melee, Fox is harder than Melee, Ivysaur while less ****ty might still be annoying as ****, Zelda definitely edges Peach, Pikachu I didn't play enough but I suppose Pika wins, Marth and Roy are still complicated but feasible.
MK is much easier now in 3.5, it's still hard though I agree. I like to play the turnip camping game until he approaches like you have to do with Marth in Melee (and P:M to a lesser extent)

I haven't actually played an Ivy in 3.5 but in theory she probably isn't that bad, bait and fair spacing is gonna be annoying but if you keep a turnip in your hand at all times and use it to cover your approaches you shouldn't have *too* bad a time. This one is winning the war of attrition.

In the past when I've fought zelda it was difficult because she would get a sweet spot kick and then when I was recovering she would set up a wall of Din's Fire. Now that she can't do that anymore it shouldn't be too bad if your spacing is on point.

I don't really agree that fox is harder than in Melee, mainly because he has a more difficult time killing at lower % now. In Melee you get waveshined into upsmash at 70 you were dead on everything but dreamland. In 3.5 that isn't really the case. It's hard but I still think it is 50-50, you just can't let fox start the laser camping game and you'll be okay.

Yeah Falcon is hard. But I don't think it's *too* much harder than in Melee. I've only ever played 1 Falcon so I can't give too mucb insight. His recovery is absolute balls so Peach's awesome edgeguarding will either kill him or **** him up real bad. It's all about getting him onto the edgeguarding situation and then knowing what to do.

With the exception of his quick attack cancling I don't think this matchup is that bad. A grab or FC fair on sheild into grab/dsmash or FC fair into grab/dsmash can be pretty annoying for the Pika but you can say that about any matchup lol.

Last edited:

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
Hating this thread right now, yet I'm just as guilty of it's neglect as anyone else is :/

I've found that the Zelda MU (which used to be rough as can be) is now very much so in her favor again. The drop of 3 Din's Traps into the new Movable Dins isn't nearly as awful on her neutral game and makes her approach much more safe. I think it's now up to the Zelda player being smart with FAir/BAir and the new Teledash (Up B on the ground and press B mid Teleport to instantly recover mid move to follow up) to keep Peach not so much at bay, but to keep peach from turning her Neutral game into an aggressive one.

I apologize if this wasn't of any use, I'm sure most Peach Main's noticed it, I just wanted to share my thoughts on some Post 3.5 MU discussion and hopefully bring some life to this thread. <3

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
Hating this thread right now, yet I'm just as guilty of it's neglect as anyone else is :/

I've found that the Zelda MU (which used to be rough as can be) is now very much so in her favor again. The drop of 3 Din's Traps into the new Movable Dins isn't nearly as awful on her neutral game and makes her approach much more safe. I think it's now up to the Zelda player being smart with FAir/BAir and the new Teledash (Up B on the ground and press B mid Teleport to instantly recover mid move to follow up) to keep Peach not so much at bay, but to keep peach from turning her Neutral game into an aggressive one.

I apologize if this wasn't of any use, I'm sure most Peach Main's noticed it, I just wanted to share my thoughts on some Post 3.5 MU discussion and hopefully bring some life to this thread. <3
Hmm, this sounds awesome, as I've not yet played a Zelda on 3.5 but I did in the last version and it did not go well. Hopefully I get to play a Zelda the next time I go to a PM tourny/smashfest.

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
Hmm, this sounds awesome, as I've not yet played a Zelda on 3.5 but I did in the last version and it did not go well. Hopefully I get to play a Zelda the next time I go to a PM tourny/smashfest.
it's weird how bad the match up used to be (although still only 45-55 at best) her float game and her turnip game just got stopped so bad to Din's traps, now it's practically a reversed match up, being 55-45 in her favor. I also still agree that Mewtwo, Fox, C.Falc, And Marth's can give her a hard time, but it's still in her favor. I admite Peach because she takes effort and dedication to play, and if you are dedicated, you can win all of those match ups.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Why would Fox be harder than Melee? His lasers are significantly worse for camping and UpSmash is PAL strength.

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
IMO, in P:M it's not worth to dedicate yourself to be a Peach main.
Ehh maybe in pervious versions, but I think she is worth it in 3.5. That statement is definitely not biased at all, though.

Why would Fox be harder than Melee? His lasers are significantly worse for camping and UpSmash is PAL strength.
Eh I think it's 50/50 like in Melee (I think it's 50/50 in Melee, idk what it actually is). It's still hard though because fox is so much faster than Peach, just like in Melee.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't think it's 50/50 in Melee, most Peach and even Fox players will disagree. More like 65/35 in Fox's favor.

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
I don't think it's 50/50 in Melee, most Peach and even Fox players will disagree. More like 65/35 in Fox's favor.
I definitly don't feel like it's that bad. But yeah I know, a lot of people disagree with my assessment of Peach's match ups I'm sure, but I don't care :)

rje457

Smash Cadet
Fox wins the match-up because he wins the neutral and an easy kill move of u-smash and uair. But Peach can make the match-up (40-60) in Fox's favor because of her insane punishes to Fox for messing up, not to mention PM 3.5 gave back Peach's uthrow chain-grab on spacies back :bee:. Whenever you face a Fox, get him to mess-up punish him for it and do not miss your edgeguards!

Also shout-out to ChiePet and MisterCTM in trying to get some life going for 3.5 Peach. There are very few PM Peach Mains out there so we gotta show Peach is deserved some attention in this game!

Last edited:

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
Whenever you face a Fox, get him to mess-up punish him for it and do not miss your edgeguards!
This can be said for facing any character, and not even just P:M but Melee as we!l. Peach does not excell in many places, but she is one of, if not the best edge-guarder in the game. If you mess up an edgeguarde you deserve everything that comes because of it.

For real though, in a lot of matchups I think that it becomes even or in Peach's favor because of her edguarding. That and the turnips are the reason I think that matchups that don't seem in Peach's favor are even.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Peach's meta is evolving very slow because of the small amount of Peach mains. I'm ojay with this, but I feel like because of it, it isn't fair to say that a matchup isn't in Peach's favor without good reason that isn't "____ is better than Peach at _____" because who knows how the meta will develop?

I'm really hoping that with the changes in 3.5, Armada will switch to Peach in P:M. That could singlehandedly make it so that Peach is considered good. Fingers crossed.

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
IMO, in P:M it's not worth to dedicate yourself to be a Peach main.
It's always worth it. That's what makes her a Main. I know she's capable of way more than anything people've seen in P:M as of yet, And Melee I've seen pure Crazy.. But no one tries. Wish I could :((

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
Eh I think it's 50/50 like in Melee (I think it's 50/50 in Melee, idk what it actually is). It's still hard though because fox is so much faster than Peach, just like in Melee.
You have NO clue on what you are talking about.
P:M has grab armor/FSA, no chain throws and other low ceiling/wide stages that Fox can pick.

If anything, Fox vs Peach is even harder than Melee, where the matchup is not 50/50 at all.

He is easier to play (execution is a big part of punishing), he is faster and moves easily, he has more wide stages to run around, you don't have the chain grab to punish him for doing dumb stuff on your shield or for getting dash attacked.

You don't need to laser camp a la M2K to succeed in this matchup, you just need to put some % and play the keep away game, punishing Peach for her lack of speed.

Last edited:

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
I know she's capable of way more than anything people've seen in P:M as of yet, And Melee I've seen pure Crazy.. But no one tries. Wish I could :((
Just keep playing, practicing, and trying new things. Crazyness will happen with Peach in P:M just like it did in Melee. At some point there will be an Armanda for P:M Peach, and that could be anyone.

You have NO clue on what you are talking about.
Okay. That is your opinion. I've given my reason for why I don't think Fox is as bad as everyone says it is, I don't actually think that Peach Fox is 50/50, I've been exagerating a little bit when I've said that (Same as before when I said I don't think she has any matchups worse than 50/50). I should've explained that I was slightly exagerating, and that was my fault.

Still, I think that one of the big reasons Peach is so underused is she has a bad rep as a bad character than has awful matchups. And why does she have this bad rep? Because instead of trying to figure out solutions to the matchups - and maybe even developing the meta further, perhaps in a way that the matchps becomes more in Peach's favor - Peach mains are ******** about how the matchups sucks, etc. Go out and find solutions to your problems. And practical solutions at that, not just "don't get grabbed" or "play perfectly," because, let's be honest here, no one has the ability to do that.

With time, dedication, and practice, I'm pretty sure that Peach - and Peach mains - can overcome any problem that is faced.

i personally think Peach just isnt as ^fast^ as she was in melee she feels slower idk why.-.
I felt like that at first, but I started dash dance wave dashing differently (I'm not sure how else to describe it, it's not faster or slower really, it's just like different timing) thanI do in Melee and she feels fast enough to me. Even still, her being slow isn't the main problem, as she really isn't that slow, but relative to, for instance, spacies, she's slow. She is fast enough, I think, for her to get to where she needs to be on most stages in most situations.

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
Still, I think that one of the big reasons Peach is so underused is she has a bad rep as a bad character than has awful matchups. And why does she have this bad rep?
Because she has really strong points and in exchange she gets really bad characteristics ?

In Melee she can deal with those, in a game where characters are balanced around Fox level, that gets harder and harder.

She also can't be changed too much, otherwise it will scare the few players there are from the Melee playerbase.
So sit down and wait for character nerfs (which, for the next patch, they are not going to be many) or start preparing your secondary, because you are going to hit your nose into a wall.

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
Because she has really strong points and in exchange she gets really bad characteristics ?

So sit down and wait for character nerfs (which, for the next patch, they are not going to be many) or start preparing your secondary, because you are going to hit your nose into a wall.
You don't need to be such a pessimist. Like I said, she can totally overcome her bad characteristics, it's just a matter of people getting out of that mindset and figuring out how to overcome her bad characteristics.

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
It's rough; People already Main-ing Peach and/or Previously have a right to be pessimistic as they are, and the Up-and-Comer's Know her worth and potential but haven't yet met the experience or "Walls" Peach Players hit, but I really disbelieve the Pessimism especially if they Main'd Peach because melee or because of a challenge, instead of just taking said Melee-Knowledge and Genuine love for Peach and just Pushing on. I love Peach, Melee and Project M, I can't even try to be nything but Optimistic towards Her and her excessive amount of Tech Skill and Potential. I find something that blows my mind nearly every day I play my friends in both Bad/Good MU's.

I'll keep trying.

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
it's just a matter of people getting out of that mindset and figuring out how to overcome her bad characteristics.
Characters are tools.
Some tools are better for some functions than others. You can't build a wall with a screwdriver. You can't fix a microwave with an axe. There is no way you can overcome something innate from the tool.

A 7-3 match-up doesn't mean impossible. This type of match is only played on the highest level of Smash and it's not accurate.

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
Characters are tools.
There is no way you can overcome something innate from the tool.
Well, friend, I think we have fundamentally different views of Smash and the characters in it.

It's rough; People already Main-ing Peach and/or Previously have a right to be pessimistic as they are, and the Up-and-Comer's Know her worth and potential but haven't yet met the experience or "Walls" Peach Players hit
I'll keep trying.
Yeah, I know being a Peach main is rough. I've gotten my ass handed to me time and time again and hit "walls" and the works. It sucks, yes, it's not fun in any way. But if you can't take it maybe you shouldn't main Peach.

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
I do not give up

(thinks back to when played ZSS)

Well

Practice partner is an Ike though

teh shayme

oh and for first time in ages this posted from PC so I see all your sigs

Deco-Nii I agree 100% with your sig

Why no daisy

hijole

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I think part of the reason Peach might feel slower is that her double jump feels slower than Melee. It really seems like it to me. She might have been a little faster in Melee overall, but I don't have any data to back that up with haha

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
I think part of the reason Peach might feel slower is that her double jump feels slower than Melee. It really seems like it to me. She might have been a little faster in Melee overall, but I don't have any data to back that up with haha
Her double jump is exactly the same as it is in Melee. Same with her wavedash, parasol, and float. I think the game in general is a tad more floaty in terms of physics than Melee, so maybe that is it. Or maybe it just feels like it to me.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
See it's weird because Parasol feels exactly the same to me now but double jump still doesn't haha! I'm not much for replacing everything with Melee sounds, but I'd love the old double jump sound effect to come back, or a PM version

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
See it's weird because Parasol feels exactly the same to me now but double jump still doesn't haha! I'm not much for replacing everything with Melee sounds, but I'd love the old double jump sound effect to come back, or a PM version
Does it have a bad sound effect now? I've actually never listened to it before (I listen to music when I play) haha

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Oh it's not bad per se--I play with sound on usually and I can't think of what it is now, but I am studying for finals haha. I think it's Brawl's.

On a side note, I'm actually having trouble with the Wario matchup, and spacies. I'm having trouble landing the CG on spacies reliably, though it's easier to do on CPUs for obvious reasons. Any advice?

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
On a side note, I'm actually having trouble with the Wario matchup, and spacies. I'm having trouble landing the CG on spacies reliably, though it's easier to do on CPUs for obvious reasons. Any advice?
I'm afraid that I can't help with the Wario matchup, as the amount of times I've fought a Wario is exactly 0. CG on spacies,well, it's just about timing. I've always found it difficult in Melee to get the dash off in order to get the following grab. Just practice practice practice, try to practice when you're at a tourny or smashfest with that way you can have someone else DI so you can get the timing down for it.

Top Bottom