• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Awww, did I win? - Peach MU Discussion

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
Watch out for Bite Mixups with Wario, he can also combo you into waft pretty easily. In general you just wanna poke out hitboxes to keep him away cause a wario that's up close and personal is scary af if you don't know how to handle it.

Last edited:

B.Wong

Smash Cadet
Any advice on Peach v Snake Matchup? I'm having some trouble with it. The only way I can beat him is if I go dreamland.

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
Dreamland was a terrible idea against Snake in 3.02, since you couldn't see his mines and, with proper DI, Snake survives a lot more than you do.

Pay attention on whenever he presses B, since you can't shield pressure him when he does. Try fighting in the air. Edgeguarding him feels like edgeguarding in Sm4sh, you don't kill him, you only punish him with more %, but that's a necessary thing you have to do.

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
Oh it's not bad per se--I play with sound on usually and I can't think of what it is now, but I am studying for finals haha. I think it's Brawl's.

On a side note, I'm actually having trouble with the Wario matchup, and spacies. I'm having trouble landing the CG on spacies reliably, though it's easier to do on CPUs for obvious reasons. Any advice?

Some sound effect are terrible and I wish you could select Melee skins to have Melee sounds as well.

Wario is a 5-5 matchup, he is helpless out of stage and he got his grab/side-b mix-up removed, so now you can telegraph what he does and be safe on your shield. He still has a lot of hitconfirms and really good aerials, but if you have a good OoS game, none of them will be safe enough.

CG on spacies are insanely easy in this game compared to Melee, for sole reason of the dash being easier to start. Don't JC your grabs and don't press the grab button too early, you have time. The percentage is really specific (works for like... 30%ish) and the chaingrab is not that great (aka, is not as good as it is in Melee), specially because it put some characters on the top platform (Falco and Falcon afaik)

Dad?!?

Smash Rookie
Does anybody have any advice to help me with the Ivysaur matchup? It feels like I get almost completely walled out by vines, so I hang back and pull turnips, but then the wall advances and pushes me to the edge and then I'm stuck.

Dad?!?

Smash Rookie

This shows the angle you get hit at with no DI. You want to DI so that you get hit towards the corner of the blast zone--which is usually going to be up and in. That's not going to help your survivability a lot because you're already getting sent vaguely towards the corner, but it will help some. The main thing to note is that if you DI down and/or away (as would happen if you're crouch cancelling) you're going to die early, and even if you don't die you'll be in a bad spot against Marth because you'll have to recover low.

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
This shows the angle you get hit at with no DI. You want to DI so that you get hit towards the corner of the blast zone--which is usually going to be up and in. That's not going to help your survivability a lot because you're already getting sent vaguely towards the corner, but it will help some. The main thing to note is that if you DI down and/or away (as would happen if you're crouch cancelling) you're going to die early, and even if you don't die you'll be in a bad spot against Marth because you'll have to recover low.
Ditto, at best If you could find an angle to DI to where you still go the direction intended but slower then that'd be the best bet;

Other question though: I have a lot of Ivy MU experience and I can say you can't just camp as usual, she can camp back. It's rough, but essentially the worst is to be in Low-Float Zone; that's practically placing you in Lazy-Up B range to die early, but honest when I fight Ivy my biggest issues are often Ivy's Pivot range. Ohh, also try DThrow, chain grabs that floaty/heavy character for a good while before a solid FThrow takes care of her. my best advice is use Turnips sparingly but mostly at times as an advance while ground-level floating and try and force Ivy to block. All Aerials FC'd on Ivy's Sheild are awful to her. Dash attack is also my fav anti-air for those RAR BAir Ivy players.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
You could also try Down-Throw to Nair to Ivy as a mixup if they expect a forward throw. Don't forget crouch cancelling a lot of her game is one of her biggest weaknesses. Edgeguarding Ivy isn't too bad since the recovery is so predictable. Just grab the ledge before she can and then throw out a Nair or Bair during her pop-up animation. Obviously don't try to approach from above too much, you risk UpB, USmash, and Seed Bomb, which can kill early. You also risk sweetspotted Uair from ballsy players, which will hurt if it hits.

Dad?!?

Smash Rookie
Oooo, D-throw chains--I did not know that. The problem I face with low float approaches is that Ivy will usually throw out razor leaves to cover that; I could try to float above them, but unless I can get over it before she finishes the side-b animation, she can just throw out fairs/bairs to block me out. The only options I've been able to find to get through are: powersheilding the razor leaves (which sucks if you miss because you're stuck in shield), and well placed turnips (which aren't that hard to deal with from her end, and lead to the situation I was talking about where I just get pushed back to the edge).

TimeSmash, can you cover all of her ledge pop up options with a ledgehop nair? The Ivy I play against likes to pull back out of the ledge pop up to fade back to the ledge and I find that hard to cover. Maybe I can react to the reel-in faster and regular getup-downsmash.

Dad?!?

Smash Rookie
Just tested it, Ivy can get back to the ledge after the popup faster than I can regular getup, even with no reaction time. I'm not sure if you can cover the popup with a ledgehop nair--you might have to float to stop from going too high, and then you might move too far forward to catch a fade back to ledge.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
I'm looking for a secondary to help handle Peach in 3.5 because I find that to be one of DK's hardest matchups. Who would you guys say would be a good character to counterpick against Peach?

Last edited:

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
I'm looking for a secondary to help handle Peach in 3.5 because I find that to be one of DK's hardest matchups. Who would you guys say would be a good character to counterpick against Peach?
She's amazing at Crouch Cancelling, has a lot of air-time, has trouble getting from up high back down low, and is a Floaty: You'd want anyone with strong vertical kill options and able to react faster than her

ex; Fox, C.Falcon, Marth, Sheik, Zelda, Ivy, ZSSamus - these are all characters I find deal well with her when pushed the right way. That said, Peach has universally 50:50 MUs with maybe Fox and/or C.Falc being slightly uphill for her, but thats up to player skill at that point.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
She's amazing at Crouch Cancelling, has a lot of air-time, has trouble getting from up high back down low, and is a Floaty: You'd want anyone with strong vertical kill options and able to react faster than her

ex; Fox, C.Falcon, Marth, Sheik, Zelda, Ivy, ZSSamus - these are all characters I find deal well with her when pushed the right way. That said, Peach has universally 50:50 MUs with maybe Fox and/or C.Falc being slightly uphill for her, but thats up to player skill at that point.
That's very helpful, I appreciate the reply. Just curious as well, how do you feel about the Peach vs Samus match-up?

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
That's very helpful, I appreciate the reply. Just curious as well, how do you feel about the Peach vs Samus match-up?
Boring and awful lol

it's so campy because it's basically Samus zoning out Peach then Peach trying to push her way through with well placed turnips. It's probably even but oh my goddddd it's so boring to play and watch for everyone involved.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Boring and awful lol

it's so campy because it's basically Samus zoning out Peach then Peach trying to push her way through with well placed turnips. It's probably even but oh my goddddd it's so boring to play and watch for everyone involved.
I should of figured that. I'm just trying to find a secondary to cover about three or four matchups for DK which I find very difficult and Samus is a character which could be a possible solution. Both of your replies have been helpful though, thank you.

Last edited:

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
I should of figured that. I'm just trying to find a secondary to cover about three or four matchups for DK which I find very difficult and Samus is a character which could be a possible solution. Both of your replies have been helpful though, thank you.
He's right, either way it's still a decent 50:50 MU for Peach, FAir obliterates Missles, Turnips can eat Full Charge Shots, Nair beats out a lot of moves; in a zoning match you'll probably be floating at a much higher elevation than most to try and avoid non-homing projectiles, but even so, learn to "wiggle" when you're in a tumble state/hitstun because having access to your full double jump when off stage is super important (usually is anyways; wiggling i.e. tapping left to right until they stop being in tumble state helps you not mash jump and potentially/accidentally waste it.) if any part of her second jump is turned into a float, even if instantaneous, she's used her 2nd jump.

also dumb stuff: watch out for Ice Samus FAir, the reach of USmash, and keep an eye out for Samus doing FTilt and DSmash as they are her best reactions/counters imo. Also a samus good with Z-Tether attacking is annoying to deal with, just don't stay at it's max range or early KO's will happen. Peach can get KOd off the top by DSmash, Ice USmash, and Dash Attack so DI well and hope for the best!

probably more but can always address it at a later date. hope it helps!

EDIT: view this for a lot of info; one of the three best peach players against one of the 3 best samus players:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoR8CfxJJSw

Last edited:

MagmaCore

Smash Rookie
So has anyone played against Mewtwo a lot in pm because a Mewtwo player just arrived at my school and I can't take a game off of him and I don't know where to start. Any tips for the MU?

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
So has anyone played against Mewtwo a lot in pm because a Mewtwo player just arrived at my school and I can't take a game off of him and I don't know where to start. Any tips for the MU?
Knew I forgot another uphill battle; Mewtwo is rough. UAir and UTilt and even BAir can control the entire match; I find good use in Turnips for Clanking with those moves as I move in to FAir often enough, but I tend to watch mewtwo make mistakes and punish.

ALSO; Once I've compiled enough viable and accurate information, as well as the Mod of this board giving me the ability to obtain it (because I already have his full permission/go-ahead) I'll be taking over and re-doing this MU Thread!!

In both the hopes of keeping it alive, active, and up to date regularly (like updating the OP each time info has been collected), I want to make sure this is done again but the right way; the best way. No more 6 pages of MU info dating back to 2.2b.

Hoping to hear back asap and will gladly use any information provided (just inbox me, yo) but excited either way!

Last edited:

NOTMalachi

Smash Rookie
I actually play this matchup with frozen all the time, so I think I have a pretty good grasp of it.

Approaching with d-air is amazing in the match-up. You shouldn't spam, but honesty Mewtwo can't do much about it but roll or do an up-smash oos, which is punishable. You should also pull turnips whenever possible, since most of Mewtwos moves generally outrange yours and turnips give you a much easier approach. Also, be aware the most Mewtwos will try to fish for a grab when you're above ~100 percent, so try to be as non-committal/safe as possible during that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLS3J7-j3T0 <--Me versus Emukiller. (He's only M2 for the first game)

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
I actually play this matchup with frozen all the time, so I think I have a pretty good grasp of it.

Approaching with d-air is amazing in the match-up. You shouldn't spam, but honesty Mewtwo can't do much about it but roll or do an up-smash oos, which is punishable. You should also pull turnips whenever possible, since most of Mewtwos moves generally outrange yours and turnips give you a much easier approach. Also, be aware the most Mewtwos will try to fish for a grab when you're above ~100 percent, so try to be as non-committal/safe as possible during that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLS3J7-j3T0 <--Me versus Emukiller. (He's only M2 for the first game)
This is actually very solid legitimate info, I appreciate this thoroughly, guy.
Besides getting more expansive info over the MU, I believe the only character I really need to keep my eye on is T-Link. He may be another one of Peach's few 45:55 MUs, along with Zelda, Fox, and C.Falcon.

I'm also in the process of rounding up as much solid info on the MUs that are 50:50 but still require effort; I am in progress of making a Draft of my first post/OP for the new Peach MU Discussion Thread (and I'm going to keep it up to date regularly, including when 3.5 turns 3.6 and so on.)

NOTMalachi

Smash Rookie
This is actually very solid legitimate info, I appreciate this thoroughly, guy.
Besides getting more expansive info over the MU, I believe the only character I really need to keep my eye on is T-Link. He may be another one of Peach's few 45:55 MUs, along with Zelda, Fox, and C.Falcon.

I'm also in the process of rounding up as much solid info on the MUs that are 50:50 but still require effort; I am in progress of making a Draft of my first post/OP for the new Peach MU Discussion Thread (and I'm going to keep it up to date regularly, including when 3.5 turns 3.6 and so on.)
I've always thought tink v peach was pretty awful for peach. Whenever I play dvd with her he just kinda throws stuff at me and uses tinks mobility to apply really safe pressure with nair and bair. Even in melee young link was kind of a soft counter to peach(he can basically do the same thing he does to puff)
I would personally put this as 65:35 tink, or at least 60:40

Edit:oh yeah and I forgot the his bomb/boomerang leads into almost everything :(

Last edited:

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Peach v Falcon?
I am a falcon main, and I have seen that the matchup might be in falcons favor but I cant seem to do squat in the matchup.

Peach nairs out of all of my combos, Dash attack beats all of my zoning tools, I have no vertical kill options so peach lives forever, Peach has a cg and a kill throw, I cant make it back to the stage even if I recover low and tech down smash, I cant punish down smash in neutral, I loose access to stomp knee before it kills, I cant retreat to shield because I either get shield stabbed by down smash or I get float canceled aerial to grab which is guaranteed. I cant even spike this character because umbrella.

I know that falcon out maneuvers her but it doesn't seem to matter. I win neutral about 1/2 times, but because I have no kill combos I get bodied. I can get nair strings into knee at mid percent if im absolutely perfect, but I have no guaranteed options to get her there. I end up having to read her nairs and punish them mid combo. most of the time I can only squeeze 2-4 hits out of a combo, which is a problem for me because I have a pretty crazy punish game on most other characters.

I know im not out classed here, if the peach player in particular plays any other character and I can win with any given character.This guy dosent wavedash or l cancel at all, which is fine, but I end up super frustrated when he wins.

Plz halp

Also tons of code geass fans here

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
Peach v Falcon?
I am a falcon main, and I have seen that the matchup might be in falcons favor but I cant seem to do squat in the matchup.

Peach nairs out of all of my combos, Dash attack beats all of my zoning tools, I have no vertical kill options so peach lives forever, Peach has a cg and a kill throw, I cant make it back to the stage even if I recover low and tech down smash, I cant punish down smash in neutral, I loose access to stomp knee before it kills, I cant retreat to shield because I either get shield stabbed by down smash or I get float canceled aerial to grab which is guaranteed. I cant even spike this character because umbrella.

I know that falcon out maneuvers her but it doesn't seem to matter. I win neutral about 1/2 times, but because I have no kill combos I get bodied. I can get nair strings into knee at mid percent if im absolutely perfect, but I have no guaranteed options to get her there. I end up having to read her nairs and punish them mid combo. most of the time I can only squeeze 2-4 hits out of a combo, which is a problem for me because I have a pretty crazy punish game on most other characters.

I know im not out classed here, if the peach player in particular plays any other character and I can win with any given character.This guy dosent wavedash or l cancel at all, which is fine, but I end up super frustrated when he wins.

Plz halp

Also tons of code geass fans here
Aww man, one of her guaranteed bad MUs. UAir is your absolute worst nightmare, it's hard to get back to the ground.
With lack of time on my side, I'll post what VaNz said about the MU in Melee here and kinda elaborate that it's a more positive MU in PM but still bad:

"5. vs Captain Falcon - 40:60 Captain Falcon

Pros
- Easy to combo
- Easy to edge guard.
- Can be chain grabbed til about 80%
- High Bairs
Cons
- Peach gets combo'd HARD
- Nair wall is a pain in the ***. It will trade or beat Peach's aerials.
- Uair knocks peach out of the air. ALWAYS
- Falcon's bair wall is hell to overcome.
- FAIR!! (i almost forgot about it). Grabs will ALWAYS lead to his broken Fair. (ask Hax$)

So uhh.. Captain Falcon is my LEAST favorite match up in the game. i'm not too bad at the match up, but you have to be insanely precise. Float camping is a must. Especially when CF is spacing with Bairs. Jfox recommends (and i co-sign) the retreating Bairs. The only problem with that is if the CF over shoots his aerials, they WILL beat bair. So if that doesn't work, use the float camp method to punish his landing. Also, Dash attack his nairs. these should lead to some devastating combos.
Avoid Falcon's grab as much as possible. Only pull turnips when falcon is FAR away. Don't rely on them too much for your approaches. Most Falcon's just Nair through them.
Stages we like: Final Destination, Mute City, Fountain of Dreams (because for some reason, most falcon's don't like this stage)
Stages they like: Pokemon Stadium, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland, Battlefield"

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
Peach v Falcon?

Peach nairs out of all of my combos
You are not spacing or comboing properly.

Dash attack beats all of my zoning tools
Peach is often cornered in this matchup and getting a dash attack is not that easy, you are probably not making a good use of your Nair or again, not spacing it well enough.

I have no vertical kill options so peach lives forever, Peach has a cg and a kill throw
Contrary to popular belief, Peach dies. DThrow to Knee is pretty dumb and in most stages, she is dead around 90~100% assuming you are not kneeing her across the stage.

She has a chain grab from 10% to 69% (a convenient number) and you can jump out of it after it (you didn't do you homework right ?)

Falcon is heavy enough that she should die from the Kill Throw itself till like... 160% ? DI that dude.

I cant make it back to the stage even if I recover low and tech down smash, I cant punish down smash in neutral, I loose access to stomp knee before it kills, I cant retreat to shield because I either get shield stabbed by down smash or I get float canceled aerial to grab which is guaranteed. I cant even spike this character because umbrella.
"downsmash edgeguard"
"downsmash in neutral
"I loose access to stomp knee before it kills"
"I cant retreat to shield"

:|

I win neutral about 1/2 times, but because I have no kill combos I get bodied
>:|

Peach v Falcon?

Yes, you are being outclassed and it's there is no shame in being outclassed.

There is shame in lying to yourself and trying to convince yourself that you have no options without trying harder to overcome your limitations (specially when your limitations seem like homework tbh)

It's ok to admit you are not as good as you think you are (ego is a ***** and it stops you from improving), but a lot of what I'm reading is just you getting outplayed or doing dumb **** and getting roflstomped by a character that gets fed out of people being dumb.
Try to... you know... out maneuver the guy or be less bad (make less mistakes and not getting dsmashed in the process) ? When you say you win neutral, do you even know what is neutral ? That is the situation where Falcon should be shining (and also, the hard part of playing Melee) and specially, ****ing up floaties.

You would probably have the same complaints about Samus or ICs ("ROFL, it's hard to L Cancel against 2 shields, Shield Grab is so guaranteed and wobbling takes 0 skilll!!!!"). But your personal experience and struggle with the matchup doesn't make everything you say true. Studying, practicing and specially thinking about the game would make you better (getting better without the controller in your hands is essential) and I doubt you train combos on Peach bot to have better execution in your upair strings.

If you are here to ask for advice, please be open minded and don't belittle your opponent. If you think he is bad, what are you if you keep losing to him, specially in a bad matchup for him ?
Read this http://meleeiton.me/2014/02/20/training-tools-how-much-can-you-punish/ and watch this video of a known pro who is DSmash happy getting ****ed by a Falcon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7WSLaQKwV4

A lot of this might sound bashing (which kind frankly, is. I'm a terrible person), but improving in fighting games is not about controlling your character and winning matchups. That's the easy part. The hard part is to apply the mental game and thinking critically on what are you doing wrong in the process (specially in between stocks), and I think you don't have a grasp of that, otherwise you would've thought about 90% of what I've said yourself.

Anyway, I hope you take this all with a grain of salt and good luck on the quest of improvement.

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
You are not spacing or comboing properly.

Peach is often cornered in this matchup and getting a dash attack is not that easy, you are probably not making a good use of your Nair or again, not spacing it well enough.

Contrary to popular belief, Peach dies. DThrow to Knee is pretty dumb and in most stages, she is dead around 90~100% assuming you are not kneeing her across the stage.

She has a chain grab from 10% to 69% (a convenient number) and you can jump out of it after it (you didn't do you homework right ?)

Falcon is heavy enough that she should die from the Kill Throw itself till like... 160% ? DI that dude.

"downsmash edgeguard"
"downsmash in neutral
"I loose access to stomp knee before it kills"
"I cant retreat to shield"

:|

>:|

Yes, you are being outclassed and it's there is no shame in being outclassed.

There is shame in lying to yourself and trying to convince yourself that you have no options without trying harder to overcome your limitations (specially when your limitations seem like homework tbh)

It's ok to admit you are not as good as you think you are (ego is a ***** and it stops you from improving), but a lot of what I'm reading is just you getting outplayed or doing dumb **** and getting roflstomped by a character that gets fed out of people being dumb.
Try to... you know... out maneuver the guy or be less bad (make less mistakes and not getting dsmashed in the process) ? When you say you win neutral, do you even know what is neutral ? That is the situation where Falcon should be shining (and also, the hard part of playing Melee) and specially, ****ing up floaties.

You would probably have the same complaints about Samus or ICs ("ROFL, it's hard to L Cancel against 2 shields, Shield Grab is so guaranteed and wobbling takes 0 skilll!!!!"). But your personal experience and struggle with the matchup doesn't make everything you say true. Studying, practicing and specially thinking about the game would make you better (getting better without the controller in your hands is essential) and I doubt you train combos on Peach bot to have better execution in your upair strings.

If you are here to ask for advice, please be open minded and don't belittle your opponent. If you think he is bad, what are you if you keep losing to him, specially in a bad matchup for him ?
Read this http://meleeiton.me/2014/02/20/training-tools-how-much-can-you-punish/ and watch this video of a known pro who is DSmash happy getting ****ed by a Falcon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7WSLaQKwV4

A lot of this might sound bashing (which kind frankly, is. I'm a terrible person), but improving in fighting games is not about controlling your character and winning matchups. That's the easy part. The hard part is to apply the mental game and thinking critically on what are you doing wrong in the process (specially in between stocks), and I think you don't have a grasp of that, otherwise you would've thought about 90% of what I've said yourself.

Anyway, I hope you take this all with a grain of salt and good luck on the quest of improvement.
Brutally constructive critisism.
Not siding or anything, but really, it hurts to say that everyone at some point needs that talk. A heartbreaker for sure.

dg-pilz-e

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this has been discussed but whats your the general consensus on the G&W match up? I can't use Kirby in it cause he combos me so hard so i use Peach. I find I have a better chance but it's still challenging. Any tips on how to combat this?

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this has been discussed but whats your the general consensus on the G&W match up? I can't use Kirby in it cause he combos me so hard so i use Peach. I find I have a better chance but it's still challenging. Any tips on how to combat this?
G&W trades a lot with some characters, but not Peach. His launchers are really strong and not really CCable. And he will combo you to death like poop.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut, G&W has trouble approaching and Peach has a REALLY good defensive game.
Playing on reactions and doing stuff OoS seems the best option against him imo

NOTMalachi

Smash Rookie
I play this match-up alot and honestly it's really dumb. All of G&W's aerials beats Peachs, he gets up-throw>follow up until like ~70 and a downthrow>dacus upsmash read kills at 60. Peach's CC is useless past 20%, so don't expect to provide any sort of assistance against G&W

Throwing grounded turnips is amazing.He doesn't really have a means of dealing with that sort of camping besides running to the platforms. It forces G&W to approach, and if he does so with anything unsafe(Like fair) you can punish him with a nair oos or grab.Your main game is keep away; challenging G&W head to head isn't something that would be in your favor. If he gets too close for you to pull a turnip, dash attack works really well if you catch him coming down without an active hitbox. Also his shield suucks. If you hit him with a float cancel nair or fair, a d-smash will more than likely shieldstab or even break his shield altogether.

Human Reverend

Smash Rookie
Hey, could I get some advice on the Ike matchup? I know that turnips stuff quick draw approaches, and I've heard that Peach has the advantage here but I honestly don't see how. It feels like fighting a Marth that can actually you. Ike's range shuts down everything Peach has, and his fair edge guards are disgusting. I'm also really not sure how I should be edge guarding. Oh, and sorry if this question comes up a lot or came up recently or something but ctrl-f'ing "Ike" isn't really helpful for the obvious reasons lol

Last edited:

dg-pilz-e

Smash Cadet
I don't have a very hard time with him although that is possible that the Ikes here aren't that good.
I play it similar to Marth yes, Turnips for days. If he's recovering low to use aether then try hitting him with a turnip, if hes using his side b then i usually will guess where he is and float and n-air. I find that he's pretty easy to combo too.
Try not running up to him and approaching let him come to you, I haven't really put too much thought into stages but i find i like to play on stages with platforms against him more then flat stages like FD.
Also if your in a position where he is going to try and fair you for an edge guard you can air dodge past him if your high enough and make it back, Peach doesn't fall super fast after air dodges like other characters so it's not a bad option to use if your in a pickle.

Those are my thoughts at least, they may not be the standard way to fight against him but i don't have a lot of Ike experience.

NOTMalachi

Smash Rookie
Hey, could I get some advice on the Ike matchup? I know that turnips stuff quick draw approaches, and I've heard that Peach has the advantage here but I honestly don't see how. It feels like fighting a Marth that can actually you. Ike's range shuts down everything Peach has, and his fair edge guards are disgusting. I'm also really not sure how I should be edge guarding. Oh, and sorry if this question comes up a lot or came up recently or something but ctrl-f'ing "Ike" isn't really helpful for the obvious reasons lol
Edge Guarding Ike isn't too difficult once you get the flow of it. If Ike uses Aether, you can dash attack him while he's at the Apex of the animation, the latter half of which has no hitbox(when Ike is spinning before he starts coming down) Hitting him with the "push" part of dash attack should basically mean death for ike at mid-high percent. You can also use a turnip instead of dash attacking. The reward is much less, but it's the safer option since no part of you is actually touching Ike.

You can react to him charging side-b and cover every option by just having a turnip. If you see him going for the ground/the edge, you can throw the turnip to cover both. If he goes high, just fc nair him while he's falling/suffering landing lag. If he goes low to wall jump aether, just throw the turnip that you had downwards and try to anticipate where he'll be after the wall jump, or if you already used your turnip the cover the edge and he goes low, just apply the same principles as edge guarding regular aether. It may seem like a lot at first, but the more you understand his side-b, the easier it'll get.

Also get-up attacks in general are amazing for edge guarding aether. Idk about the whole cast, but Peach, Sheik, Falco and Foxs get-up attacks not only beat aether, but sent him off the stage without a jump. The timing somewhat weird at first, but after you get it down, it should be a free kill for you on most stages. Btw never roll from the ledge on Ikes aether unless you know for sure he won't land on stage; the last hitbox of aether will pop you up put you in a horrible position.

P.S Whoever told you Peach v Ike is in Peachs favor must have been high.

dg-pilz-e

Smash Cadet
Edge Guarding Ike isn't too difficult once you get the flow of it. If Ike uses Aether, you can dash attack him while he's at the Apex of the animation, the latter half of which has no hitbox(when Ike is spinning before he starts coming down) Hitting him with the "push" part of dash attack should basically mean death for ike at mid-high percent. You can also use a turnip instead of dash attacking. The reward is much less, but it's the safer option since no part of you is actually touching Ike.

You can react to him charging side-b and cover every option by just having a turnip. If you see him going for the ground/the edge, you can throw the turnip to cover both. If he goes high, just fc nair him while he's falling/suffering landing lag. If he goes low to wall jump aether, just throw the turnip that you had downwards and try to anticipate where he'll be after the wall jump, or if you already used your turnip the cover the edge and he goes low, just apply the same principles as edge guarding regular aether. It may seem like a lot at first, but the more you understand his side-b, the easier it'll get.

Also get-up attacks in general are amazing for edge guarding aether. Idk about the whole cast, but Peach, Sheik, Falco and Foxs get-up attacks not only beat aether, but sent him off the stage without a jump. The timing somewhat weird at first, but after you get it down, it should be a free kill for you on most stages. Btw never roll from the ledge on Ikes aether unless you know for sure he won't land on stage; the last hitbox of aether will pop you up put you in a horrible position.

P.S Whoever told you Peach v Ike is in Peachs favor must have been high.
I actually didn't know that ledge attack tech. I assume that that would only beable to be done under 100%?
Is it a bad matchup for peach? the worst i can see is is like 60:40 ike I feel like its definitely winnable.

NOTMalachi

Smash Rookie
I mean it technically could work past 100%, but you would have to account for the slower start up so it wouldn't be worth it.
The match-up is more than winnable for peach, but to say she wins when Ike completely out-ranges and unlike marth, gets a lot of mileage out of grabs is pretty silly.

Human Reverend

Smash Rookie
Thanks a lot, guys. I hadn't thought about get-up attack to deny aether but that sounds like it would be effective and pretty hilarious. Air dodging through fairs sounds legit too, I always forget how amazing Peach's is. I think my biggest problem is just trying to be too aggressive, considering my inspiration for picking up Peach is MacD.

Last edited:
Top Bottom