• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Awww, did I win? - Peach MU Discussion

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
:bowsermelee: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:falconmelee: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:charizardbrawl: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:dededebrawl: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:diddybrawl: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:dkmelee: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:falcomelee: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:foxmelee: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:gwmelee: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:ganonmelee: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:ikebrawl: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:ivysaurbrawl: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:jigglypuffmelee: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:linkmelee: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:lucariobrawl: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:lucasbrawl: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:luigimelee: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:mariomelee: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:marthmelee: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:nessmelee: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:pikachumelee: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:pitbrawl: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:robbrawl: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:sheikmelee: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:snakebrawl: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:sonicbrawl: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:squirtlebrawl: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:toonlinkbrawl: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:wariobrawl: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:wolfbrawl: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:zeldamelee: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:
:zssbrawl: - ??:?? - :peachmelee:

How do you think we shape up against the cast atm? What do we have in each MU? Stages? Discuss everything.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
peach does very well against the fox and falco in my experience. Her defensive play style and quick, bulky hit boxed sex kicks coupled with her FCs really help shut down their offense and lead directly into her comboes and tech chases. She pressures extremely well on sheilds, and gets great reward for doing so, just like they do. her turnips help out a lot at preventing approaches and forcing reactions, which really helps escpecially with fox when it comes to his speed. with the addition of AGTing, her ability to manage her own position while still covering space is even better than it was in melee. when it comes to killing, peach is gonna try to edge guard all day, while the spacies have their usual bread and butter kill set ups. peach is good at working them offstage through tech chases with dash attack and her floats. once they are offstage, she can easily chase them farther off then they can even survive from, and her nair, bair, fair, dair, and toad counter all can all usually take the stock depending on how far and where they got knocked offstage. if the peach plays it right, she can garner kills at lower percents than she can even be killed at. when it comes to damage building, both sides have good combos and projectiles. the space animals are quicker, and their projectiles are much more conductive to damage building than peaches are. peach, if she can land a grab (which she doesnt have too much of a problem doing), has a chain grab on them with uthrow, which can lead to a kill at the end of it with upsmash or a nair/bair into tech chase.

Overall, they all combo well, have great pressure options, and have potential to kill efficiently. i think peach might be slightly favored against falco, just due to his lack of speed compared to fox, and peach garnering a couple buffs like range increase on ftilt, increased utility in her fsmash, AGTing, and her more defensive utilt. with falco not being touched that much from melee, id say their once even MU might be put slightly towards peach, mostly because of her increased position control with AGT. fox id say its more around even, mayble slightly in foxes favor since he kills a little bit more efficiently and reliably than falco does, and his ground mobility is better.

Peaches worst MUs are going to come from characters that can really take advantage of her poor speed and bait her into playing offensively, then punish her. CF, Jiggs, wario, ROB, ZSS, pit, and wolf all have attributes that give them the options of not needing to commit to approaches, being able to cover themselves from below, and all have the mobility in the air to take on peach. There are much more specific things to each of those MUs that could make a couple of them more close to even possibly, but overall, those characters have the attributes to take advantage of peaches biggest weakness.

yahyakun

Smash Cadet
peach ***** ganon++, mario +, fox+, falco+, wolf++, bowser++, squirtle++, ivysaur+ and ike.

peach isnt that good against jigglypuff--, shiek-, marth and maybe skilled zss but i havent played against them. i just find that whip hard and scary lol.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
i feel that wolf might be harder for peach than fox and falco are. wolf has some really good aerial mobility, and his blaster gives him a lot of control over both the stage and his own position. squirtle too, hes got a lot of mobility options, and is small, agile, and has armour on some attacks as well. idk much about squirtle other than that though, so i dont want to say too much on that.

link and tink are sorta hard for peach cuz of their ability to zone her out and defend themselves in close quarters with range. she just doesnt have the speed to deal with them.

oirasorledyelsie

Smash Apprentice
Fly-Amanita's :peach: vs BadGuy's :bowser:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEFBoGxnnPI

Bladewise's :peach: vs Gimpyfish's :bowser:
1~~http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jSdlYkNw-42~~http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n_0YQeaPHw

:peach:Peach V.S :bowser:Bowser

Either a 65-35, 60-40 or 55-45

Based on these videos it looks like Peach may have an advantage.

Peach can edgeguard Bowser really well... Turnips and her Aerials (With or Without float) can give Bowser big problems. It can down right gimp or K.O him if done probably. Not only that, but Peach can maneuver around the stage more effectively with her Float Cancels and AGT. Did I forget that she can combo Bowser very well due to his weight and size.

So why can this lumbering peace of bones and turtle blubber give Peach such problems???

Bowser is very clunky and awkward when moving but his Down B and Up B can remedy that. When recovering Bowser might try to cancel the Down B to reach you when you are up there.. BE CAREFUL......

And you can't easily shield pressure him due to his Up-B having great speed, invincibility and it can KILL... Starting at 110-120%. This doesn't mean it's impossible. Just be careful. Especially around the said percentages.

He can also edgeguard Peach and K.O her for it if she isn't careful. His Neutral B can be angled at more angles making recovery difficult at times.

And a few things you need to watch out for:
*Nair----> This move is a great Combo Breaker. Don't be greedy when comboing.. If you think he has the time or frames to use Nair wait and punish accordingly

*F-Smash----> Massive shield damage.. Watch your shield.

Oh I almost forgot! Bowser has disgusting kill power ... That is all.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Peach loses in varying degrees to Fox, Sheik, Marth, Puff, and Falcon like in Melee. She's good against Lucario, Sonic, and Bowser. ROB and Link seem pretty evenish.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Peach loses in varying degrees to Fox, Sheik, Marth, Puff, and Falcon like in Melee. She's good against Lucario, Sonic, and Bowser. ROB and Link seem pretty evenish.
Are you still seconding Ike? What's your opinion on him now and stuff

Deus

Smash Journeyman
peach ***** ganon++, mario +, fox+, falco+, wolf++, bowser++, squirtle++, ivysaur+ and ike.
Peach ***** Ganon? I'm going to have to definetly disagree on that, at least that's what it was in melee, I gave Ganon the edge 55/45. Haven't been able to play a good Ganon in PM to know how similar it feels, but it would seem with the less punishable recovery it would be better for Ganon. Ganon's high KO power caused issues for floaty light Peach and Ganon's dthrow was a guarenteed powerful move landed, and his range caused issues, just like Marth's range can cause issues for Peach. Also can't see her ****** Ike, because the range and ko power once again, but can't say for sure.

She also does not **** Fox, it's a 50/50 matchup IMO they've each got tricks they can do against each other. Same with Falco... Everyone would play Peach if she "*****" the top 2 chars, or at least have her as a secondary.

and to Nintendo dude, already mentioned fox, but I don't think Falcon is a bad matchup, shes got the Chain uthrow (which seems even easier in PM unless I'm imagining things) or uthrow to tech chase nair if theres a platform above and a lot of priority over his attacks. Her Nair> his Fair. I'm able to wiggle and Nair out of his dthrow most of the time before the Fair. resulting in him dthrowing me to be a good thing most of time. I never had many excessive problems with Shiek, but I can't comment on that one too much. Jiggs on the other hand *shudder* no me gusta jiggs.

This one definetly isn't P:M and I don't think many people agree with me but I thought Samus was a very tough MU for Peach. Double missles really made Peach's approach more predictable, Samus' even better priority on her Nair Sex kick, wicked WD'd Fsmashes and her dtilted fsmash could hit her in shield. Peach definitely didn't have a good throw option against her (unless you were dumb enough to not do the easy DI behind her on a dthrow) her Fthrow and all of her most common KO moves, Nair, Fair, even dsmash near the edge would not kill her thanks to her weight and ability to come back from anything. and usmash was really hard to land, Samus' dair would hit first when timed right. But I feel Samus will be enough like melee for it to feel similar, perhaps worse?

I'm basing most of this on melee, yes, but the characters I'm talking about are all top tier melee that are essentially cloned in PM for the most part.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
in my experience, peach doesnt **** fox, but she definitely performs well against him. its definitely a 50 50 MU, with each having an equal chance to beat the other, with the same mount of effort put in. against falco, peach might even have it a tad easier. i definitely think peach beats ganon too. what does ganon have against her? he has even less mobility than peach does, and thats sayin something. CF is harder because of his sheer speed and mobility. Its close to even cuz of peaches pressure and chain on him (i actually thhink its harder in PM, cuz the landing detection off of throws is apparently brawls). but peach can easily take advantage of ganons sluggish movement with turnips all day. again its not like one of them destroys the other, but i think peach easily has the advantage. even in melee i thought this.

oirasorledyelsie

Smash Apprentice
Peach ***** Ganon? I'm going to have to definetly disagree on that, at least that's what it was in melee, I gave Ganon the edge 55/45. Haven't been able to play a good Ganon in PM to know how similar it feels, but it would seem with the less punishable recovery it would be better for Ganon. Ganon's high KO power caused issues for floaty light Peach and Ganon's dthrow was a guarenteed powerful move landed, and his range caused issues, just like Marth's range can cause issues for Peach. Also can't see her ****** Ike, because the range and ko power once again, but can't say for sure.

Why are you guys approaching the likes of Ganon, Marth and Ike in the first place????

Brawl says "Hello!!! Welcome to camping!"

(Disclaimer: I have never played P:M)

But approaching people with no projectiles sounds pretty unsafe... You guys have the longer ranged camping and baiting tools to use..

And I don't mean like just throw Turnips but set-up traps and errythang... I think people need to play bit more defensive with those 3... Plus her turnips and it's uses have been Buffed....

Then when you got them in your range.... Go all-out aggro...

but peach can easily take advantage of ganons sluggish movement with turnips all day. again its not like one of them destroys the other, but i think peach easily has the advantage. even in melee i thought this.
AMEN!

JesusSmashesPuffs

Smash Cadet
I haven't done much testing, but it seems like if you drop a turnip off the edge against a recovering Ivy, the turnip can intercept the vine, preventing Ivy from grabbing the ledge. Is this legit, or is my training partner just messing up?

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
i have not tested this, but thinking of the game mechanics, i couldnt see how that would work. im not sure if a hurtbox can block the ledge or not, but i wouldnt think that it would, especially with all their anti edge hogging implementation. u can however, hit ivy with a turnip while she is hanging provided she doesnt act b4 her invincibility is up. its a good way to prevent obnoxious stalling.

@oirasorledyelsie, i definitely agree, approaching ike marth or ganon is asking for it. peach can definitely benefit from approaching, even without a turnip in hand, but thats against people who can out prioritize her great aerials. those 3 definitely can however. i find that her dash attack is very useful against ranged opponents, since not only does it have great range itself, but it sets up directly for either a combo or a tech chase (depending on where in the attack u hit). using a mix of reaction forcing turnips (especially AGTd turnips) and baiting and punishing with DA can help overcome peaches lack of speed.

SamWholeFoods

Smash Rookie
Peach vs Marth hasn't changed that much except that Peach has AGT which helps her in some situations. Still pretty much like the Melee matchup. Also, maybe buffed fsmash might be situationally useful, I really don't use it much at all.

Peach vs Ganon has gotten a slightly tougher in the neutral game with Ganon's buffs but its still essentially the same matchup in terms of strategy and fundamentals.

Also:
Peach vs ROB- I play against an experienced ROB quite often. This matchup requires a lot of patience and a good amount of knowledge about ROB, but if played properly I believe that Peach has a slight advantage. Utilize turnips to get in but don't fear being as patient as possible. Once you're in, stay in. ROB has no good options dealing with pressure besides his decent grab, and he has a lot of trouble breaking up combos/juggles with his slower aerials. Stay just outside of the range of his tilts (ftilt/dtilt), and be ready to punish/pressure as hard as possible. He also has a decent CC game so, you know what to do there. Edgeguarding ROB is relatively simple while not always too easy. He can use 3 side/upBs before he touches the ground of the stage, try to snipe his jumps with turnips and nair him when he's closer. Be ready for ROB to airdodge as well

Things to watch out for:
Grabs- Dthrow>uair is free free free for ROB and sends you at a nasty angle, but he doesn't have the pressure game to actually get too many offensive grabs.

Projectiles- Power shield lasers, catch the gyro. Both are easy to do in PM. One thing to know about ROB's lasers is that they actually don't accomplish much if they're not charged. They don't lead to follow-ups for ROB and their sole purpose is to do damage, so don't feel too threatened by them (just make sure that he doesn't snipe your jump off-stage). ROB has a decently long startup animation that you can just react to. Strong lasers have a bit more utility, and I believe they accomplish more vs Peach.

Ground game- Ftilt/Dtilt. Stay out of their range, block one>WD back>be ready to react. If he spaces too close then CCing can work, but its not really something to depend on vs ROB; a lot of his moves hit you in ways that make punishing after CCing difficult. Also note his dsmash has a 5 frame startup just like ours. If you're hit by it you can CC/SDI down and tech (not sure if teching in place allows for a jab punish or something, need to test).

Positioning- First of all, don't be directly above ROB. Its not nearly as bad to be above him as say, Marth, but he still has strong options with uair/utilt. Usmash seems pretty fast too now. Secondly, always be ready for ROB to sideB in the air>and aerial. You want to space so you can either stuff him with nair or punish with FC fair.

TL;DR I'd say Peach vs ROB is 55-45, maybe 60-40

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Are you still seconding Ike? What's your opinion on him now and stuff
Sorry for this super late reply (never checked back on the thread lol). Ike is technically my "main" and Peach is a secondary because I already had a really good Peach from Melee. Ike's nerfs definitely hurt him quite a bit but he still has a lot going for him.

Peach-ROB is a hard matchup imo. ROB is similar to Marth but he has projectiles that are comparable to turnips in usability. Since ROB is really good at swatting Peach out of the air like Marth is, you have to adopt a more ground-based strategy, but ROB's projectiles can shut that down as well. So basically this means you need to have a mixed approach, neither of which is reliable. Camping ROB doesn't really work because he's ROB.

Peach also loses to Ivysaur. I played Ivysaur vs. DoH and was destroying him by just shooting leaves to shut down Peach's float and then outranging her on the ground.

To the guy who said Falcon isn't a bad matchup, you are simply just wrong lol. The problem with the matchup is Falcon's Nair and dash-dance game. If you are wiggling / Nairing out of down-throw knee then the Falcon you are playing against just sucks.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
i think the falcon MU is still disadvantageous, but i think its better than it was in melee with the introduction of AGT. it increases peaches mobility overall, and can help against his DDing with baits of your own. he definitely still gives her trouble though.

i agree on the ROB MU too, ive thought that hes had the attributes to take on peach from the very beginning. peach really needs to play cautiously until she gets in, and then she needs to stay on him imo. he doesnt deal that well with pressure (of which you can supply a lot with FCs, and chase his rolls with DA and turnips). but if you give him too much space, then he will easily be able to zone you out. unpredictability is definitely a good thing to focus on though.

what do you guys think of link? lately, ive been able to adapt to a lot of one of my friend's strategies with fox, marth, and even CF. he played link though and it took me a lot longer to adjust. a patient link can shut down your approach pretty effectively and take advantage of his large range and your slow speed. i need to wait a week until im going to see him again, but i know this MU is going to be played. ive got a couple things in mind atm:
-when he throws his boomerang, nair or bair right through it, as they can outprioritize it, and this will close the distance between the two of you (link obviously is a zoner and wants distance, cuz peach easily gets out camped by him).
-when it comes to his arrows, an aerial approach will be able to punish them well. when coupled with your ability to nair or bair through rangs, an aerial approach just slightly above head height seems ideal
-bombs cant be avoided as easily as the other two projectiles. since they take away his regular attacks, a slightly higher aerial approach will keep you out of line of the trajectory. with a turnip in hand, you can easily deal with punishing him if he jumps to try to throw it at you.

so far, an aerial approach, often times with a turnip in hand, will generally take care of his projectiles. but now is where it gets tricky for me. peaches slow speed kinda hinders her ability to get in on link and pressure him. once you can get close enough to him by getting past the projectiles, a utilt or ftilt generally takes care of any kind of FC fair, nair or bair. baiting is definitely the way to go, but i feel that it requires a lot of precision. aerial approaches directly onto link dont really work. but if you get on the ground, then its hard to avoid his projectiles. i feel that there is a sweetspot range where you want to be (just out of range of links attacks, but close enough that a dash attack or turnip can punish him). once you have link where you want him, its not hard to keep him off balance, but its the neutral game here that is the issue.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Against Link just space FC aerials and turnip camp in kind of a middle-ish range. Wait for him to throw a boomerang when you are on the ground and then just dash attack. You'll either hit him or you'll cancel out the boomerang and be right in his face. I think you might be able to get a direct punish from that too but it's been awhile so I can't remember. Once you deal with boomerang the matchup is really easy.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
yeah i played the MU out again saturday night. i had a much better time with it than i did last week. it was definitely about keeping your positioning in the right place. too close meant that you would out spaced, but too far made it difficult to come up with any punishes. with good positioning, it makes it a lot easier to punish link when he tries defend with those utilts and ftilts. when a dash attack wouldnt do it, a turnip usually either set me up to hit him on shield, punish a roll inwards, or simply push him to a worse position if he rolls backwards. turnips also absolutely decimate his recovery, bomb jumping or not. i also found some uses for peaches counter in this MU. as long as you keep your positioning tight, link has to be very precise with his placement of projectiles and attacks to properly defend himself. if he waits to long, hes gonna get punished (at he should be). because of that, with a little adapting, you can get the timing down for how and when he places his attacks, and since his timing with them is a lot more tight and unforgiving of mistakes than yours, hes much more commited to them. this makes for a playstlye type in which toad (when used cautiously and not openly) can definitely give him troubles when preventing himself from gettting punished. the fact that his mobility on the ground is just as bad as yours, and that the spores have a lot of range really helps this.

also, not that this changes my opinion of the MU, but i absolutely decimated his CF too. almost 4 stocked him without losing one myself. i was so proud haha. then again CF isnt his main, but he had won melee tournament on friday and im pretty sure he used him at some point, so it still says something.

Cia

das kwl
Peach seems so crazy to me. I think she's definitely a bully vs MOST of the cast.

But I, personally, have had the most difficulty with Falco and Ivysaur. I didn't know what Ivysaur did AT ALL when I first played it. But I still feel like i got zoned really hard.

Peach vs R.O.B seems pretty free for Peach tho.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
i feel like falco is the "go to" person whenever someone is trying to think of a bad match up for anyone. i honestly have never had trouble with falco while playing peach. she can avoid his edge guards really well, shes difficult to combo (tho still gets comboed a bit), and it is pretty easy to kill him. you can also escape his pillaring very well with great OOS options, as his SHFFL is a few frames slower than foxs, giving u a bit more leeway. he is also noticably slow in relation to the characters that generally give peach trouble (CF, marth, etc.), and if you dont have one of the best tactics against his lasers out of anyone in the cast (between your floating ability and very ranged counter) then idk who does.

as far as rob goes, i definitely lack MU experience against a good ROB, but it definitely seems like he has the attributes that make it difficult for peach, just going from experience in what works against her. but i cant really say for sure.

SamWholeFoods

Smash Rookie
I don't see why the Falco matchup would be much different than melee, in fact this matchup has actually gotten easier for me because, correct me if I'm wrong but powershielding is still easier in PM than it was in Melee right?

Also yeah, ROB vs Peach is by no means "easy" in the neutral game. It seems to be one of many of Peach's matchups that emphasizes patience and baiting because neither character wants to approach the other. You can't just play how you want to haha. In this way I couldn't see the matchup being a hard counter because percent/stock advantage mean so much. Once ROB gets a significant advantage you're GOING to approach him because you have to. Still, Peach punishes ROB a lot harder than he punishes her. Additionally, while ROB is kind of Marth-esque, he lacks two (main) strengths that Marth has. First off, ROB is mad slow, so he he has to rely more on his hitboxes than his movement in certain situations when trying to keep Peach out (in other words, he can't run away as well as a faster character could vs Peach). This brings me to my second point: he doesn't have a sword, so Peach can trade with a lot of his common hitboxes (tilts, fair, etc) where as doing so vs a properly spaced Marth is not possible. Trading with his non-jet flame/laser moves is often advantageous, especially because ROB has low damage/KB on these kinds of moves.
Long story short, its hard to get in on ROB, but not as painful as trying to get in on a really competent Marth, or something like that. And once you get in on ROB, you can really stay in because he has no answers to pressure/positional disadvantage. Also, like I said percent/stock lead can mean a lot in this MU, but its a lot harder for ROB to make a comeback against you than vice-versa. Don't forget you really don't have to approach him when you have the lead.:happysheep:

And yeah Ivysaur is hard. I haven't figured this one out at all haha, I feel the MU isn't as bad as people make it out to be now though. Don't get me wrong, its an uphill battle from what I can tell at this moment, but Ivy also suffers from having no options once Peach gets in. Just getting past her spacing once should be able to yield a lot of punishment. Turnips also seem to be able to edgeguard that dumb vine upB. I lack the experience to speak confidently about this MU, so thats all I can really say.

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
I used to HATE the sonic vs peach MU, But every sonic main kept saying to me "Nair is the bane of sonic" which i have come to realize is very true if you sweetspot it. bair works too and you dont even have to sweet spot it.

Cia

das kwl
Peach craps on sonic like nothing else in this game lol. There are very few scenarios in which any of his moves should beat out hers. I feel like this might be the new "Peach vs Ice Climbers"

Just time ur Nairs and Bairs to beat ALL of his rolling attacks (Homing attack included) and if you don't want to go through the pain staking task of timing things, just throw a turnip :p

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
Throw a turnip? What if he spins on the ground then goes aerial to avoid the turnip? When you are not too confident with your timing you should always remember to guard cause sonic can get you from 0 to 40% FAST. Its also a bad idea to roll against sonic in general, his spins will chase you everytime.

Cia

das kwl
The reason for throwing a turnip half the time is to gauge a reaction from your opponent. let's say they do go aerial to avoid the turnip, you have more than enough time to prepare a defense/counterattack. when he goes airborne from rolling, his only options to close the gap on you are Dair and Homing Attack. Both easily punished by Aerial out of shield.

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
I see, Thnx! Just more and more things that make this a bad matchup for sonic i see. It's probably only gonna go downhill from here too.

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
Yooooooo, Srry in advance for the double post but now we pretty much got a whole plethora of MUs to discuss after all the "Tweaks" given to the cast. I thought we should start with either 2.6b Sonic or Charizard.

Queen

Smash Apprentice
I find fighting Sonic to be a bit trying since I have a hard time identifying the animations of his moves so I don't always predict correctly. Also, given the way he can hold certain moves for before releasing and launching himself at someone applies pressure from a distance. My response to this is typically to just keep moving so I can stay away from him and keep my bearing. However, I have found that once you can get Sonic to start shielding, you can start tearing him apart since Peach excels at close combat.

Basically, Sonic wants to play a hit-and-run game whilst Peach wants to corner him and proceed from there. At least, that's what I've gleaned so far. I haven't played the matchup terribly frequently, and I don't even get to play Project M all that often.

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
Good stuff gurl~ What would you define in Peach's arsenal as close combat? What would be best to use on a sonic's shield besides Dsmash?

Queen

Smash Apprentice
Her jab/slap, d-tilt, grab, and nair. I definitely jab a tad too much and get punished for it so I have to be a bit better about mixing that up. Otherwise, I enjoy throwing a turnip or otherwise trapping Sonic in his shield and then spacing a jab. If I catch him trying to grab me, I tend to either nair or grab him in response. If he keeps shielding, I d-tilt hoping for a poke. If I get it, I tend to follow with a u-air and, occasionally, parasol. Otherwise, I wait for Sonic to try and dair me, dodge it, and react. If his shield isn't poked, I like to cross it up with a short-hopped nair and land on the other side of him. I find I'll either clip Sonic as he jumps or I'll catch him at the end of his roll, provided he rolls away from me.

For funzies, I sometimes like to space f-tilt in hopes of catching his jump, but I really don't recommend that.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
....Okay, in a (probably vain) attempt to get some discussion in an otherwise dead forum (Really, are there THAT few Peach players in PM?), who would you guys consider to be Peach's worst matchups in PM? And how bad?

And does the princess still wreck Roy? :troll:
Yes, I know. Someone already mentioned worst MUs, but that was a year ago.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Marth is terrible for her, at least for me anyways. I don't know how to approach him. Also, these boards are super dead, thank you for saying that.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
I can see how. Marth's overall better ground mobility, sword, grab, etc. At least Peach destroys Marth offstage, but...Marth can probably do that, too.

Queen

Smash Apprentice
I'm having a hard time choosing who her hardest matchup is because it's going to be almost entirely speculative on my part. Unfortunately, the people I play against are not quite at my skill level so I have a hard time gauging when I'm winning because of a favorable matchup versus when I'm winning because I'm more skilled.

So, disclaimer aside, I find that characters with good control of space can be a pain in the buns. Zelda comes to mind because of her traps with Din's Fire. However, much like Link, there's a certain range in which she will not be able to safely throw out Din's fire and yet be relatively unable to attack you without overcommitting.

Outside of that, I find some aspects of Bowser to be irritating, namely, his super armor, it means Peach has to be a lot more careful about her approach since Bowser can either attack through it or recover quickly enough to counterattack. I'm still feeling this matchup out, however, so a lot of my concerns will probably be mitigated over time.

I have more thoughts, but I'm limited on time at the moment.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I'm having a hard time choosing who her hardest matchup is because it's going to be almost entirely speculative on my part. Unfortunately, the people I play against are not quite at my skill level so I have a hard time gauging when I'm winning because of a favorable matchup versus when I'm winning because I'm more skilled.

So, disclaimer aside, I find that characters with good control of space can be a pain in the buns. Zelda comes to mind because of her traps with Din's Fire. However, much like Link, there's a certain range in which she will not be able to safely throw out Din's fire and yet be relatively unable to attack you without overcommitting.

Outside of that, I find some aspects of Bowser to be irritating, namely, his super armor, it means Peach has to be a lot more careful about her approach since Bowser can either attack through it or recover quickly enough to counterattack. I'm still feeling this matchup out, however, so a lot of my concerns will probably be mitigated over time.

I have more thoughts, but I'm limited on time at the moment.
You know, I'm wondering, can she Toad Din's? Not the MOST useful thing because of the lag, but to throw her off guard. I agree with you on Bowser, that armor changes so many things.

Queen

Smash Apprentice
In fact, Peach can Toad Din's fire, but I wouldn't recommend it generally. It's a tad too easy to punish, particularly since Zelda can teleport across the stage. I have really only done it when I'm in a bit of a bind and my opponent is overconfident. Otherwise, from relatively neutral positions, I'm more likely to attack through Din's and hover threateningly just outside of Zelda's range.

I've played Melee and I know that Marth is an agonizing matchup. However, I once again do not have opponents that play Marth, so I lack a personal perspective. In general, his range has always been a problem, but I think the matchup is a lot better than it used to be, especially given her improved ground speed.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Totally agree with the above. It's also definitely important to know Zelda's mobility isn't great, and you can punish her good if the opponent Din's you at a close enough spacing.

I play one Marth, but he's far more skilled than me. His range and speed are definitely problems, especially his grab range

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Peach's hardest MUs imo are ZSS, Jiggs, and Link. Marth is not that bad you just have to play patient.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
It might be more productive to have a week or so period where we discuss each individual matchup so we can focus on each character specifically

Top Bottom