• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Awww, did I win? - Peach MU Discussion

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I'm serious, what can I do as a peach to defeat a decent Mewtwo? And if the matchup is THAT bad, what characters are good against Mewtwo?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I'm serious, what can I do as a peach to defeat a decent Mewtwo? And if the matchup is THAT bad, what characters are good against Mewtwo?
The MU is not that bad, that being said I haven't played it enough to give super specific advice, just don't get caught above him, approach with float cancelled nairs and grabs, but try to force him to approach as much as possible because he shuts down Peach's approach options pretty effectively. If you really want to try to CP characters, I'd recommend Sheik, Marth, or Roy.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
The MU is not that bad, that being said I haven't played it enough to give super specific advice, just don't get caught above him, approach with float cancelled nairs and grabs, but try to force him to approach as much as possible because he shuts down Peach's approach options pretty effectively. If you really want to try to CP characters, I'd recommend Sheik, Marth, or Roy.
How is Sheik a CP to Mewtwo??

Angrycuban

Smash Journeyman
With peach I'd say use a ton of back air and try to bait his back air out and punish as hard as you can, peach needs to optimize every time she gets in on mew two because he can stay away from her so well so those chances are few and far between

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Any tips to play against Zelda? She is really annoying to fight against, especially with Peach. It just seems like an 8 minute patience match to me

Angrycuban

Smash Journeyman
Any tips to play against Zelda? She is really annoying to fight against, especially with Peach. It just seems like an 8 minute patience match to me
The better movement you have the easier this match up is. Learn to quickly pull a turnip, throw it at Zelda and follow behind it with a forward air. Dont approach from regular float without a turnip covering you because you'll eat a forward air which kills peach very early. Zelda isn't fast so peach can actually out maneuver her. Try to float in with a turnip then float out to evade the forward air neutral air neutral b forward smash etc that Zelda will inevitably throw out then punish. Once you do get in, stay in and keep the pressure up. You can punish neutral b if you shield it with a grab or an nair. Also learn how to edge guard her cause its pretty easy. Just grab the edge and learn the distance she teleports and punish with a down smash or whatever you want. Make it so every time you get her off stage you at least tack on a bit of % or get the kill.

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I think it's also worth noting that Farore's Wind has pretty slow startup, so don't be afraid to go out there and smack her with a nair or fair before she can teleport.

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
I feel breaking up her spacing is so easy with Dash Attack, Well, as long as you have good spacing. lol. Changing your play-style is needed unfortunately, due to you not being able to get much followups on her cause she has a Nayru. So just focus on getting hits on her till she's dead~

P.S. Getting around Din camping is easy. You got a float :3

Carinca

Smash Rookie
I feel breaking up her spacing is so easy with Dash Attack, Well, as long as you have good spacing. lol. Changing your play-style is needed unfortunately, due to you not being able to get much followups on her cause she has a Nayru. So just focus on getting hits on her till she's dead~

P.S. Getting around Din camping is easy. You got a float :3
I really appreciate the notes on Zelda; one of my friend mains her and he outcamps me/ times perfect counters to my approaches. I am going to work on baiting a Nayru's Love and then hitting him in the face with mah crown.

Anyone have any good/basic combos you use regularly? I don't utilize uptilt normally and I am finally adding more throwing and shielding. I tend to approach the same way and it's getting me killed WAY too much.

Angrycuban

Smash Journeyman
I really appreciate the notes on Zelda; one of my friend mains her and he outcamps me/ times perfect counters to my approaches. I am going to work on baiting a Nayru's Love and then hitting him in the face with mah crown.

Anyone have any good/basic combos you use regularly? I don't utilize uptilt normally and I am finally adding more throwing and shielding. I tend to approach the same way and it's getting me killed WAY too much.
First off, im by no means a Vanz or silly kyle caliber peach player, but I go to all my locals and most regionals and i do alright using her and ive been in love with this character since melee so i know a little bit, here's some basic bread and butters i do with peachy, i'm going to keep this as general and basic as possible because this is smash and everything is dependent on DI and character weight/ floatieness etc.
Dair > down smash or nair sometimes uair
Dtilt > uair > nair
Dtilt > ftilt nair
Dtilt > jab > grab ( i love this against spacies)
low Bair > grab (you have to turn around and dash grab pretty fast for this and only works at lower %
Bair > Bair (repeat as much as possible, you can sometimes get 2 or 3 of these in a row on floatier characters spam bair a lot)
Nair > dash attack (this is pretty situational)
turnip > dash attack
turnip > Fair or Nair
Fair > dash attack (pretty situational again)
Fair > Nair (same as above)
dash attack > nair or Uair > nair
Jab > downsmash or grab
Downthrow (this is for most characters excluding fast fallers like fox falco wolf and captain falcon) Bair, ftilt Nair or dash attack. Learn to read the Di and use the correct follow up, against players with good DI its usually a Bair or dash attack, against players with horrible Di ftilt or even downsmash if they have NO di or tech but dont ever rely on your opponent beng bad
Up throw (for those fast fallers) Uair>Nair or a chain grab (you should never feel ashamed to chain grab the hell out of a spacie). You can also uptilt if they have bad Di and follow up with a nair or bair.

Try to end most of your combos with nair (or substitute Bair if they happen to Di behind you) learn how to sweet spot her Nair and it becomes a reliable kill move. The sweet spot is located on her hand at the very start of the move. It comes out extremly fast (frame 3 or 4 i think) so this is a super spammable move, mash nair while your being comboed and mash nair when you end combos.

Not sure if you know this but this is a sequence all newer peach player struggling in their approaches should learn and live by which goes like this. Get to a distance where its safe to pull a turnip then, pull turnip> dash forawrd> jump> throw turnip>float and move forward following the turnip> fast fall forward air. If the other person shields the turnip follow up by jabbing once as soon as you hit the ground then crouching (to cancel the second hit of the jab) and using downsmash. If they roll away chase and punish with a dash attack. If the turnip hits them its a free forward air. This is a super bread and butter peach approach and its very helpful to know and then you can learn to mix it up after by doing things like floating with a turnip in hand and grabbing after the forwad air. Also a great easy to use approach against a lot of campy characters who hide behind projectiles is multiple low floating Bairs. She can use her booty to ram through most projectiles and hit the player hiding behind them and Bair is just one of her best moves to throw out in general. Hope this helped a bit :]

Carinca

Smash Rookie
First off, im by no means a Vanz or silly kyle caliber peach player, but I go to all my locals and most regionals and i do alright using her and ive been in love with this character since melee so i know a little bit, here's some basic bread and butters i do with peachy, i'm going to keep this as general and basic as possible because this is smash and everything is dependent on DI and character weight/ floatieness etc.
Dair > down smash or nair sometimes uair
Dtilt > uair > nair
Dtilt > ftilt nair
Dtilt > jab > grab ( i love this against spacies)
low Bair > grab (you have to turn around and dash grab pretty fast for this and only works at lower %
Bair > Bair (repeat as much as possible, you can sometimes get 2 or 3 of these in a row on floatier characters spam bair a lot)
Nair > dash attack (this is pretty situational)
turnip > dash attack
turnip > Fair or Nair
Fair > dash attack (pretty situational again)
Fair > Nair (same as above)
dash attack > nair or Uair > nair
Jab > downsmash or grab
Downthrow (this is for most characters excluding fast fallers like fox falco wolf and captain falcon) Bair, ftilt Nair or dash attack. Learn to read the Di and use the correct follow up, against players with good DI its usually a Bair or dash attack, against players with horrible Di ftilt or even downsmash if they have NO di or tech but dont ever rely on your opponent beng bad
Up throw (for those fast fallers) Uair>Nair or a chain grab (you should never feel ashamed to chain grab the hell out of a spacie). You can also uptilt if they have bad Di and follow up with a nair or bair.

Try to end most of your combos with nair (or substitute Bair if they happen to Di behind you) learn how to sweet spot her Nair and it becomes a reliable kill move. The sweet spot is located on her hand at the very start of the move. It comes out extremly fast (frame 3 or 4 i think) so this is a super spammable move, mash nair while your being comboed and mash nair when you end combos.

Not sure if you know this but this is a sequence all newer peach player struggling in their approaches should learn and live by which goes like this. Get to a distance where its safe to pull a turnip then, pull turnip> dash forawrd> jump> throw turnip>float and move forward following the turnip> fast fall forward air. If the other person shields the turnip follow up by jabbing once as soon as you hit the ground then crouching (to cancel the second hit of the jab) and using downsmash. If they roll away chase and punish with a dash attack. If the turnip hits them its a free forward air. This is a super bread and butter peach approach and its very helpful to know and then you can learn to mix it up after by doing things like floating with a turnip in hand and grabbing after the forwad air. Also a great easy to use approach against a lot of campy characters who hide behind projectiles is multiple low floating Bairs. She can use her booty to ram through most projectiles and hit the player hiding behind them and Bair is just one of her best moves to throw out in general. Hope this helped a bit :]
First of all, I appreciate the modesty. We all have things we can improve on, and the skies the limit - especially with Peach IMO. I think there is a lot that can be added about her meta game. (footstools seem pretty legit if you can learn them, for one)

I have never been a very technical fighter, and I have played Peach consistently for about 5-7 years. I did pretty well, but against my techy friends... not so much. I more recently added the FC approach to my game and I have a habit of always having a turnip in hand (this is good against some matchups, but bad against the faster characters I realize!)

I tend to approach with a float and Dair to either Nair or Dsmash - my friends now just shield and grab me which.... is totes not koo. I am going to try to AGT a turnip and approach as you suggested.

Great stuff here- looks like I have a TON of revamping to do. I tend to be super aggro, but I realize that being campy is a lil better against certain matchups.

Matchups I play the most:

Yoshi - Okay, is it me or does he just have CRAY priority?! I get hit in the face with his big ass head WAY too much. Suggestions?

Mario - I have learned to be more patient with my approach and read fireballs (since my friend spams). I may use too many turnips, and I am not sure how to edgeguard; sometimes I sweetspot Nair, but other times I just get hit with his UpB

Sheik - This one.... I do okay against her, but it is hard to come back on stage. Adding Bairs seems to be the consensus on what to do. That and Dsmash.

ZSS - She is RUL hard to approach for some reason and her little electric shots are super annoying. My friend gets me in insane combos and I can't do much, HALP?

Zelda - I get baited into approaching with Din's and then I get impatient and get hit in the face with her crystal kick. I am gonna work on spacing and baiting nayru's with a Turnip.

Sonic - I think I am just too aggro and not good at timing her Nair; he rolls around a lot and it's hard to chase him down.

Jiggs - I do alright against Jiggs; lots of turnips and Dsmash works against the way my friend plays, but I know I can do a lot better.

More recent matchups:

Young Link: SO. MANY. PROJECTILES. I guess timing Bair through them is the best option? My friend isn't the best, but I want to get better at this matchup still.

Ike: Uhhhh.. Killed at 40% WHA?! My aggro peach gets killed easily against my friend who can read my pretty habitual approaches and punish. I don't know how to chaingrab, but would that work?

Thanks!!!!

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Thanks for the tips on Zelda, I went to one of my locals again and they really helped. I realize that I have to play much less aggressive (otherwise I get punished by Nayru) and learned the range of her toes.

But holy crap, I still hate the matchup. It's just a big poking match that lasts way too long. I think I'll just play Snake against Zelda from now on and pick Peach conservatively.

Last edited:

Angrycuban

Smash Journeyman
First of all, I appreciate the modesty. We all have things we can improve on, and the skies the limit - especially with Peach IMO. I think there is a lot that can be added about her meta game. (footstools seem pretty legit if you can learn them, for one)

I have never been a very technical fighter, and I have played Peach consistently for about 5-7 years. I did pretty well, but against my techy friends... not so much. I more recently added the FC approach to my game and I have a habit of always having a turnip in hand (this is good against some matchups, but bad against the faster characters I realize!)

I tend to approach with a float and Dair to either Nair or Dsmash - my friends now just shield and grab me which.... is totes not koo. I am going to try to AGT a turnip and approach as you suggested.

Great stuff here- looks like I have a TON of revamping to do. I tend to be super aggro, but I realize that being campy is a lil better against certain matchups.

Matchups I play the most:

Yoshi - Okay, is it me or does he just have CRAY priority?! I get hit in the face with his big *** head WAY too much. Suggestions?

Mario - I have learned to be more patient with my approach and read fireballs (since my friend spams). I may use too many turnips, and I am not sure how to edgeguard; sometimes I sweetspot Nair, but other times I just get hit with his UpB

Sheik - This one.... I do okay against her, but it is hard to come back on stage. Adding Bairs seems to be the consensus on what to do. That and Dsmash.

ZSS - She is RUL hard to approach for some reason and her little electric shots are super annoying. My friend gets me in insane combos and I can't do much, HALP?

Zelda - I get baited into approaching with Din's and then I get impatient and get hit in the face with her crystal kick. I am gonna work on spacing and baiting nayru's with a Turnip.

Sonic - I think I am just too aggro and not good at timing her Nair; he rolls around a lot and it's hard to chase him down.

Jiggs - I do alright against Jiggs; lots of turnips and Dsmash works against the way my friend plays, but I know I can do a lot better.

More recent matchups:

Young Link: SO. MANY. PROJECTILES. I guess timing Bair through them is the best option? My friend isn't the best, but I want to get better at this matchup still.

Ike: Uhhhh.. Killed at 40% WHA?! My aggro peach gets killed easily against my friend who can read my pretty habitual approaches and punish. I don't know how to chaingrab, but would that work?

Thanks!!!!
Yoshi: Yoshi gets destroyed by peach if you get him in his shield. just force him on the ground and into his shield with turnips and Fairs once hes in his shield the rest is free, down smash or grab and read rolls with dash attack. this match up revolves around turnips a lot and also its not always a wise idea to go air to air against yoshi.

mario: lots of Bairs. Every mario will spam fire balls against peach so ifs not always wise to pull a turnip here because he can fire ball you but if the opportunity arises go for it. Once you get cose enough you can Bair through the fire balls and hit mario with the end of the Bair which can confirm to downsmash or grab

Sheik: a lot of people hated this match-up in melee but i thought it was somewhat even and its a bit easier in this game because of sheiks nerfs to down throw and needles Your right, lots of Bairs because Bair will destroy sheiks tilts and some of her aerials just watch out for nair out of shield and random Fairs cause that will kill you pretty early. Also remember that peach can combo sheik really well

ZSS: yeah the guy i play in this match-up beats me probably 80% of the time so im not sure you wanna take my advice haha, ive actually started playing PIt against him

Zelda: this is just a test of mental fortitude haha. Make sure you punish her hard for throwing out the crystal thing cause its really really punishable. This will make her hesitant to spam it and it'll make approaching easier in general. This match-up is annoying but i dont think its difficult

Sonic: I find this match-up almost impossible just throw out nairs when he approaches and pray.

toon link: I HATE THIS CHARACTER. Its not even that hes that good he is just a tiny little hit box that runs around and throws stupid boomarangs into the air and i just hate him so much. In the match up its important not to float, if you struggle in this one its probably an issue of you floating too much or you need to work on your ground game.

Ike: yeah this one is pretty difficult. Throw a lot of turnips and pray that you can get away from his Fair and Nair in time, maybe someone else has some input in this one but for me i just switch to pit or sheik.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Ike is definitely in Peach's favor, Ike's moves are slow and punishable and turnips shut down QD shenanigans. Also pretty sure you can dthrow cg him.

Nkguy01

Smash Apprentice
Zoners like Roy and Marth...are so hard to beat in my opinion. They just wont let you in...and aggressive style overpowers Peach's general defense play in my opinion. It's pretty much a hit and run, kind of thing.

Angrycuban

Smash Journeyman
Ike is definitely in Peach's favor, Ike's moves are slow and punishable and turnips shut down QD shenanigans. Also pretty sure you can dthrow cg him.
You might be right, the Ike player I play is one of the best players in my state so he's probably just beating me so bad cause he is so much better than me haha

Last edited:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Hey guys, I came back from the Alabama regional yesterday. This was my first PM tournament in 1.5 years, and I got 7th/80+ people w/ all Peach! I seriously thought I was gonna do bad @ the event because I played Lucario/Link in my first match and got 2-3 stocked. I played Roy in losers and got 3 stocked, and then I picked Peach and won 4 matches in a row in the losers bracket pools & got 2nd seed! I didn't think it would reset in regular bracket, but it did and I lost to Squirtle! That character is really annoying to deal with, and he's so hard to hit! I think it's a bad matchup, because he's invincible during side-b, and can crossover Peach's shield really well. I was not ready for the matchup, and his Up-smash is SO annoying. I got killed @ 90% w/ Perfect DI on Dreamland, aagh. It went to last stock game 3, so I guess I didn't do that bad. In pools & bracket I played against Wolf, Sheik, Link, 2 Robs, 2 Ganondorfs, 2 Squirtles, Ike, Captain Falcon, G&W, and Kirby. Captain Falcon was also very hard. I lost to Fatality in losers, and he was a good player, but it seemed if he got a uair combo, it always lead to another uair to a knee and seemed un-DI-able.

After this event, I will take this game more seriously, and hopefully I can climb up to the top w/ your guys help. How do I aerial glide-toss w/ Peach? How do I choose which F-Smash to come out? What else should I know w/ Peach? I generally used basics all day and smarts to win, and most said my Peach was like a Brawl Peach, but that's from playing her in Brawl from 3 years, and being decent @ the game.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Squirtle is definitely not invincible during Withdraw, it has light armor, so you can knock him out of it with strong moves, or you can just grab him out of it. To aerial glide toss you just air dodge in any direction then immediately throw an item in any direction with the c-stick. You can't choose which fsmash to use, it's sequential, it goes frying pan, tennis racket, golf club, and yes Falcon is a hard MU it was bad for Peach in Melee and it's even worse in PM because she can't cg him.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Squirtle is definitely not invincible during Withdraw, it has light armor, so you can knock him out of it with strong moves, or you can just grab him out of it. To aerial glide toss you just air dodge in any direction then immediately throw an item in any direction with the c-stick. You can't choose which fsmash to use, it's sequential, it goes frying pan, tennis racket, golf club, and yes Falcon is a hard MU it was bad for Peach in Melee and it's even worse in PM because she can't cg him.
How do I grab him out of it since he's so small? And how do I hit him out of it when I'm floating? It might be a timing thing, but if I float at the wrong time he seems like he can just side-b during my animation and combo me.

And thanks, it was an instant understanding of Peach when I played her, this has never happened so much in my smash career, lol.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Well I haven't tried it with Peach, so he might go under her grab, but I know Mario can grab him out of it you should experiment to find out for sure, when floating the strong part of nair should beat it as well as fair, but yeah you have to be careful about floating against Squirtle at the wrong times. Alternatively, you can just let him hit your shield and then punish whatever he crosses it up with.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I don't think Peach can grab Squirtle while using withdraw, it's the same problem she has against a crouching Sheik (both in Melee and PM) in the sense that her grab box is a little too high to get the grab. My suggestion, bait and space the withdraw with downsmash. If Squirtle jumps midway through withdraw, you always have Bair and Nair to punish. Unfortunately, I haven't played anyone I would consider to have a good Squirtle, so this is all I can provide based on who I've played.

Last edited:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Ok, welp I guess I'm on my own to learn the matchup, and you really can't punish Squirtle crossing over Peach's shield because he can cancel it to a bair and combo which happened so much because I kept trying to punish.

On a positive note, I got videos up! I didn't know I would be recorded, and I didn't go as hard as I do in tournament in the friendly matches. I know I can play harder in friendlies & smarter though and any tips would be appreciated!

Tournament match vs Fatality(Capt. Falcon): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is8q0j3Y5DM

Friendlies vs Ryker(Various) --https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwuNiJThncM

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I know he can cancel his side-b what I meant is that you can punish whatever move he tries to hit you with after he cancels it, also you should post your videos in the video thread.

Darkshooter

Smash Ace
Seeing as I just got destroyed by both a D3 and Diddy Kong player, I must ask: How are the matchups against the two?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Not sure about D3, but Diddy is definitely in Peach's favor, he's a fast faller so she combos him really hard, float camping invalidates his banana game, and Peach's hitboxes are just generally better than Diddy's. Pretty sure she can dthrow CG him too. Just be careful not to let him force you into shield too much because the command grab is real, and he can do some nasty stuff if he command grabs you with a 'nana in his hand.

Angrycuban

Smash Journeyman
Yeah i actually like both those match ups as peach personally. I play against D3 a lot, just throw turnips and don't run into anything dumb (obviously). You can punish him really hard and learn how to hit his up b with nair from below. Don't get grabbed either

rje457

Smash Cadet
Holy crud the Link match-up is extremely hard for Peach. Any good solid tips for approaching or overall strategies besides picking Fountain of Dreams as a counter or switching characters? I prefer to get it right with this character instead of switching.

Spice

Smash Cadet
My friend plays Peach and I play Lucas. I personally feel like Lucas has a massive advantage in the matchup until Peach can get Lucas far off stage and gimp him. Any thoughts on what else Peach can do to even the playing field a bit?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Holy crud the Link match-up is extremely hard for Peach. Any good solid tips for approaching or overall strategies besides picking Fountain of Dreams as a counter or switching characters? I prefer to get it right with this character instead of switching.
Never float in neutral or you're going to eat a projectile. Other than that you kind of just have to throw turnips and bait and punish Link's laggy moves.
My friend plays Peach and I play Lucas. I personally feel like Lucas has a massive advantage in the matchup until Peach can get Lucas far off stage and gimp him. Any thoughts on what else Peach can do to even the playing field a bit?
Personally, I think Peach destroys Lucas, he's a fast faller, so she can combo him really hard, and her projectile is better than his so she can control neutral more effectively. She can also apply insane pressure which is something Lucas doesn't handle too well.

Spice

Smash Cadet
Personally, I think Peach destroys Lucas, he's a fast faller, so she can combo him really hard, and her projectile is better than his so she can control neutral more effectively. She can also apply insane pressure which is something Lucas doesn't handle too well.
Huh. I am definitely a better player than he is, so that really doesn't help. He doesn't put in any practice, I put in a few hours a day. The skill gap increases constantly. Still, I feel like Lucas is pretty solid in the MU, he can combo Peach pretty well and follow up his combos, which a lot of characters can't do with Peach.

Maybe it's more even than I am estimating (I do have experience with other Peach players in the MU too). Do you have any specific pointers you could give him though? Maybe some broad strategies?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I already gave a broad strategy, if you want specific pointers, you'll have to post a video of your friend.

rje457

Smash Cadet
Never float in neutral or you're going to eat a projectile. Other than that you kind of just have to throw turnips and bait and punish Link's laggy moves.

It's so hard to get a turnip on him because of the lag of plucking one so he usually hits you with an arrow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom