• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Australians at APEX 2015

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Hi everyone, I'm putting feelers out there for those who may be interested in attending APEX 2015. The tournament dates are from January 30 to February 1. If there is a real appetite for an Australian contingent, we can coordinate activities, similar to how things were done during Genesis/EVO 2008, when 10 of us flew over together.

I've been doing this for a while now, and can help Smashers pin down the cheapest fares from here to the major US East Coast airports.

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/events/301539433342834/

Last edited:

Gords

Smash Champion
im going to apex 2015, could i get an invite to group

Last edited:

Basty

Smash Ace
Basty to America make it happen
but in all seriousness gl to the guys who end up going to apex 2015

Izzago

I'm curious to how much it would likely cost all up at most? Can better get an idea of if I'll be able to afford it if I know that.

S.D

Smash Master
Depends mostly on flights. Apex is east coast which makes it a bit more expensive. You can get student flights/cheap flights if you look in the right places to LAX for 1100+ return with some luck, then it depends on flights to NYC. Usually it's about $300 return with domestic carriers but again, Caotic is the expert here. I'd say budget $1500ish for flights, then spending money is an individual thing, depending on length of stay and your spending habits. Last time I went to the states I was there for just on 2 weeks and spent probably 4k (including flights which I bought very late so were like 2k and I was in Vegas partying a lot so it made everything more EXP).

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
If you're lucky you'll get to LAX for 1100.
However, this is during Christmas/Holiday season, you won't get it for that cheap (most likely). It's probably going to be 1500+.

Booking directly to NYC will very likely outprice going domestically. That same flight you're paying an extra $500 for to get to NYC and back is the same one I buy last minute through a domestic source which they flag as "graveyard / nonpeak flights" and they are RIDICULOUSLY cheap (this is literally how zxv and I got to SKTAR2 last year, I'm pretty sure we got one way flights over for like $100 each, pissing off many of my Amerifriends). Domestic hopping throughout the US is very cheap if you have the time, patience and will (for awkward times/waiting periods). I've bused a fair circumference of the US for a total likely less than $100.

Depending on your length of stay and who and how you know people you can get away with cheap. If you have no standards in eating (fast food in Australia is a standard higher than the US, sorry), you can be free flying at probably $10 a day for food. Otherwise good/healthy options are around the same price as here (well, cheaper there actually, organic produce/etc is more mainstream and is about the same price as we pay for otherwise in Australia).

Housing can sometimes be hard, especially in the NYC area. And by hard, I would say pretty improbable. Depending on your length of stay you should try base yourself in places with more readily available lovely housing smashers and find your way over there. Worst case scenario during the tournament will be sharing a hotel floor for like $5 or $10.

Any really super safe budget would be $X to LA + $500 to move around within the USA + $100 a day.

I'll hopefully be in the US during the time basing in LA.

Last edited:

cpahanso

Smash Apprentice
This is just a very crazy thought...
I'm in Costa Rica for this year and will be flying back to Aus on the 12th of Jan with a stop in LAX. It would be a long shot, but there's a very faint chance I could organise to stay in the US for a few weeks, seeing as I'm practically already there and it would cost me a lot to get another opportunity later to visit.

The thing is, I won't have touched a controller for over a year... or played smash really seriously for several years. Although with practice/attendance I would be up there in the higher QLD rankings. The other thing is that I think being there 18 days beforehand is too early and I'd probably end up spending too much on accommodation...

What do you all think?

Last edited:

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
This is just a very crazy thought...
I'm in Costa Rica for this year and will be flying back to Aus on the 12th of Jan with a stop in LAX. It would be a long shot, but there's a very faint chance I could organise to stay in the US for a few weeks, seeing as I'm practically already there and it would cost me a lot to get another opportunity later to visit.

The thing is, I won't have touched a controller for over a year... or played smash really seriously for several years. Although with practice/attendance I would be up there in the higher QLD rankings. The other thing is that I think being there 18 days beforehand is too early and I'd probably end up spending too much on accommodation...

What do you all think?
The fact you haven't played in a while shouldn't influence your decision to attend. Even the fully practiced top players from aus would be lucky to make it out of pools.

cpahanso

Smash Apprentice
So I saw something about APEX 2015 qualifiers... I haven't read much into it. Do you need to qualify to enter the tournament?

@ Aussierob123 Aussierob123 : That's true. It WOULD be an awesome experience even if I'm REALLLY bad... I checked with my exchange organisation and I CAN stay in the US for a while if I want... It's just a matter of whether it's worth it. I'd need to see if there's a cheaper way I could get to NY (perhaps without going to LAX first) and then find a controller and accommodation xD
Still not sure at this stage...

Gords

Smash Champion
So guys going to apex 2015, what are the plans, are there plans, when are people arriving in america, what and where are people thinking of doing/staying before and after the event. Is genesis type activities in the making, etc, etc????

I would like to arrive in the states maybe 7-10 days before the event to visit some local scenes and play at some local events/meets, meet some of the players there, etc etc.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i booked flights to los angeles
departing melbourne jan 27, returning feb 22
planning to hit up apex then stumble back to the west coast via cool cities

Meredy

The Busterina
Making my poor ass jealous. :c Even ACL is pushing it for me but I'm gonna get there.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
No way in a million years I'd be able to get to the U.S by 2015. Buuuuut just while we're discussing APEX I will say I might try and get to APEX 2016 if things can go my way all year long.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
http://www.statravel.com.au/cheap-flights-los-angeles.htm?wt.ac=Flights_CFSW_RTN_HP_Los Angeles

BrisbaneLos Angeles

22/01/2015 -
13/02/201519/11/2014everyone$799
MelbourneLos Angeles
22/01/2015 -

SydneyLos Angeles
22/01/2015 -

Fly late January to LA, find your way to New York and back (for probably not too much extra if you don't mind a bit of work/awkward times), for $800 return.
See you all at Apex friends.

Last edited:
Top Bottom