• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aura's Monthlies: on hiatus

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Yep, Trent quit, Gamegenie made #3 on the PR list after Trent came back after he quit, then Tyser closed the PR thread.

It's okay, most everyone wants me to be in charge of the PR and make a new one anyway since the last one was so corrupt and full of random anger.

Edit: lol

resTy

Smash Champion
It's not like we are in need of a PR. You're getting so butthurt for no reason.
Grow up man. This is a game and we live in a nobody state. It doesn't really matter...

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Tyser, I'm not butthurt, I'm having a laugh. It's not like where you place me on a list is going to really change how I play or who I am. I know I'm #2 in the state and have been for a long time, with or without Trent. If you put me at #1 it wouldn't mean anything. JBM and Dan both said I should be #1 on the PR, but I don't think so. I don't deserve it until I beat you or Joker. Even beating Blank probably doesn't matter.

But if I was butt hurt, I'd say this. GameGenie totally deserved a spot due to the fact he travels. You made points about how my friends didn't matter, even if they were good, because they don't show up for tournaments. Then people you are close to who don't show up for tournaments, yet are really good, make the PR without even playing a game. I'm not saying David isn't one of the best players in the state, he is, but he doesn't even fit your rules.

I agree we don't need a PR, especially now that Trent is gone. But JBM/Thugz/GG222/Mexi/Sme3sh/I all talked about it on the car ride back (yep, smeesh via phone). They want to get better and if moving up a list that doesn't matter makes it happen, then good.

I'll probably just do an updated PR list on this board unless I'm flat out told by more than 4 people to start it again.

As such, here is what it should look like, assuming Trent is done.

#1-Duh
#2-Duh :wolf:
#3-Smeesh*
#4-Jarell
#5-Cue ( :p) *
#6-Mexi *
#7-Nick *
#8-Uli *
#9-GG222
#10-JBM

*will drop if they don't attend Auras*

Nate :wolf:, Aura, David (the new :wolf:/falco), Dan and Thugz would take those places, in that order, if necessary.

resTy

Smash Champion
See, this is where your lack of knowledge comes into play. David was the best in the state back in 2008-2009. He went out of state sometimes and proved that he's a threat. That's why he was on this ridiculous PR for such a long time. Nobody else in the state has had as good of results as him except maybe Smeesh.

The fact that you think you're so good in Brawl is also preposterous. You aren't a bad player by any means, but saying you're almost that good is ridiculous. I'm better than you by a large margin and Trent is also better than you, but not by much IMO. Claiming things on your own is straight up ludicrous and is mad bias on your part. YOU think you're someone, but nobody else does. Getting input from guys who don't even know this game is pretty much invalid. We're just really REALLY fuckin nice.

You claim to not be butthurt, but I know how much you care about your rank. You talk about it all the time. I mean, if you're just talking about it for shits and giggles that'd be okay, but when it comes up at every single smashfest then you know there is some kind of obsession with it. Just calling it how I see it.

This random bickering isn't going to change anything though. Nebraska Brawl is a joke. We don't have enough people to have a legitimate PR and our top guys aren't even average. Whether you think you're good or not is your problem I guess; I'll try to stay away from that from now on as to avoid mindless arguments about Brawl of all things.

EDIT: Trent didn't quit. No one ever quits. Get real for once.

EDIT2: It's hilarious how you think that being genuinely idiotic/wrong and trolling are one in the same. You're a moron who doesn't understand the world of competition. That's why you're never gonna be on my level. Easy promise, bro. Plus, what kind of real troll posts such long posts? You're being counterproductive by doing so. You need to hit up that academy for another year or two. Learn it right please :')

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
I suggest we also make a melee PR.

I think it helps as long as people aren't offended/childish/close-minded.

I know that if we have a group of people who believe jbm is #10 on the list and i can do something about it, darn right im gonna try to change it.

Worrying about whether or not we are the ****/get **** isn't a problem. If we go OOS and do bad so what, at least when we lose we have a taste of what we need to improve on, and if we don't, well then maybe OOS tourneys aren't our thing.

My point is just cuz we are bad doesn't mean we don't need a pr, or shouldn't take NE seriously. If we want to get good, a PR can help like i said if the above are avoided.

The ones who quit out like Uli, murn, mo, mexi and stuff realized that they didn't want to be overly nerdy at a game and not have fun with other stuff, and thats fine.

Idk, being good OOS for brawl isn't my concern as much considering i don't really travel OOS for brawl. My main concern with brawl like with melee before is to be beat everyone in the state before im worried about OOS.

resTy

Smash Champion
I suggest we also make a melee PR.
Didn't we try this before and it failed? We don't even need one either.
We have such a low number of active players and we already acknowledge whose better anyways.
Making a thread for it would be fruitless. Just my input on this topic...

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
^Yeah your right to some content, so why don't we make one for the people who aren't top 5?

I know shawn, rob, and some others who would enjoy a melee PR which we aren't included into, and i think having us in charge of it would be interesting too.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
(Insert snobby "See, this is where your lack of knowledge comes into play") I know David was really good and dominant in the scene back in the day because I talked to him about it. But, should he be on a PR that says "If you did amazing yonder ago but haven't been to a tournament in a while, your position in the ranks will probably go down"? I also know Smeesh was insane back in the day because every time I go out of state, people ask me where Smeesh is, and he's getting back to being really good again.

I don't think I'm that good in Brawl otherwise I would have taken top 10 at Brainshock or I would go into boards saying "I'm going to win" like Nappy does. Me saying that I'm "That good?" Where do I say that I'm "that" good anywhere, at least recently? As far as Trent being better than me, I'll play him any day of the week. With Luigi. You don't have to be polite in person if you have a different opinion, because you laughed and told me that I always **** him when we talked in person. You probably tell him the same stuff when you see him.

Tyser if you still think you are significantly better than me, then you are wrong. You are still better, but the gap is closing. Please, prove me wrong. Again, I don't see me saying I'm better than anyone who is better than me anywhere, so I don't get your guff still. How can I be butt hurt if I know I'm #2 and that's where I belong for now? I do want be #1, but I want to earn it. I talk about the PR. What else am I supposed to talk about at smashfests? Something not related to smash?

This random bickering isn't going to change anything though. Nebraska Brawl is a joke. We don't have enough people to have a legitimate PR and our top guys aren't even average.
Agreed with the quoted portion. I do love arguing for the sake or arguing though.

resTy

Smash Champion
. . . This isn't going to go anywhere apparently.
You do whatever you want to do. I'm not going to butt in.
I don't really want to have anything to do with you anymore.
If you want practice, play with your friends or the Melee dudes.
I'm not even gonna play this game anymore and I'll forever be better than you.
Get better and come challenge me though. Good luck.
Tyser if you still think you are significantly better than me, then you are wrong. You are still better, but the gap is closing.
This was hilarious so I thought I'd quote it. Beat me for once in tourney and then talk.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
EDIT: Trent didn't quit. No one ever quits. Get real for once.

EDIT2: It's hilarious how you think that being genuinely idiotic/wrong and trolling are one in the same. You're a moron who doesn't understand the world of competition. That's why you're never gonna be on my level. Easy promise, bro. Plus, what kind of real troll posts such long posts? You're being counterproductive by doing so. You need to hit up that academy for another year or two. Learn it right please :')
I hope Trent didn't quit.

I know IRL and Video Games are different, but I'm a former all-american swimmer buddy, tell me about the competitive world, again?

Also "Trolling-Trolling is trying to get a rise out of someone. Forcing them to respond to you, either through wise-crackery, posting incorrect information, asking blatantly stupid questions, or other foolishness. However, trolling statements are never true or are ever meant to be construed as such. Nearly all trolled statements are meant to be funny to some people, so it does have some social/entertainment value. "Trolling" isn't simply "harmful statements". Intentionally insulting/libelous statements are "flaming". Just as bad as trolling is "Feeding the Trolls". This is when people say stuff that they know will prompt someone to respond with a trolled reply and/or replying to comments that are blatantly from a troll. This is especially true when a troll first makes his comment/reply, and (usually many) people respond, either trying to correct the troll, or express anger at the statement. At that point, the trolling was successful and has been fed. When encouraged by success and feeding, trolls often return."

One can Troll and write long essay esq. shout-outs at the same time.

^Yeah your right to some content, so why don't we make one for the people who aren't top 5?

I know shawn, rob, and some others who would enjoy a melee PR which we aren't included into, and i think having us in charge of it would be interesting too.
We are going to have an "I'm bad at Melee" PR? Now I'm insulted. At least put me at the bottom of the active list :/

. . . This isn't going to go anywhere apparently.
You do whatever you want to do. I'm not going to butt in.
I don't really want to have anything to do with you anymore.
If you want practice, play with your friends or the Melee dudes.
I'm not even gonna play this game anymore and I'll forever be better than you.
Get better and come challenge me though. Good luck.
You passive-aggressive...!!!!!!!!! I'll see you later this week. Good **** Saturday.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
As they say on the streets, "Brawl don't lie." Settle it in tourney and MM.

gantrain05

Smash Master
.........Next time on Jersey Shore.....

but seriously this is my outside observation on this situation Mmk? i'll just address each person individually so u can all flame me later.

Tyser. You are just a good brawl player, u play smart and u know your char very well, the only thing holding you back is actual legit experience. There is probably alot of MU's you have no idea about which can only be overcome with practice and going OoS and actually getting matches in with high level players.

Rob. You are pretty new to brawl but honestly, you ARE getting better, even in the short time i've known you i've noticed some improvements. Keep going OoS and getting experience and you'll be a good wolf. just the same thing as tyser, learn your MU's and keep playing.

Trent - you didn't quit, shut up fool, you have probably traveled OoS more than any other NE, you know brawl pretty well and you know what you have to do. i can't really say much else.

Smeesh - WHERE U AT!?

JBM - when u start taking brawl seriously you are going to be good, its as simple as that.

thugz/GG222 - i haven't played/watched enough of you guys to even make a judgement.

Uli - see tyser, u know how competetive smash works, u just don't play enough. you already know the work u need to put in.

all in all i think a PR system is good and bad at the same time, it CAN help the community improve, it just helps some people strive to become better players, on the other hand. it can just get people upset, and with such a small community of players who are either new, don't travel, don't take the game seriously, or a mixture of any of the 3, i don't think a PR is necessary. We do just fine without one here in IA.

THuGz

Smash Lord
So I'm never playing metaknight again and I'm gonna let my pikachu game develop cuz I haven't touched MK (with a few exceptions) in weeks and my pikachu is miles better without my awful MK habits...

Thus, I vow never to go MK in tournament again unless
1) you're MK
2) you're a good Lucario
3) you're Olimar
4) you're Pit
5) you're a good Luigi
6) you're a good kirby
7) I'm going to lose anyway and only the power of MK's dsmash can win me the game

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
If there was really a need for a PR then this kind of talk wouldn't be happening, because this bickering isn't what a PR should exist for.

People don't play in competition to just say I'm x best undebated. That is not what spawns competition, that just spawns helpless egos that play the game to keep feeding it. If people really want to "earn" a spot then it would be done through tourneys and not long drawn-out forum debates.

This kind of competitive mindset is just shallow and uninsightful. If you knew you were 2nd best then the PR shouldn't have been an issue. At a certain point of skill level in Brawl it doesn't even really make a difference, you're results are determined by how patient or how well you handle the matchup or just how long you're willing to run the clock.

Just as much someones "ranking" should always be taken with a grain of salt unless they're results are just too consistent to deny (In this case theres only a few who you can say this with), because one of these days you'll play Brawl with people that lame or random you out and you will probably think in the back of your head that they were worst off a player and will most likely lose to people who you would fare better against.

Aside from that, I don't think a PR needs to exist. Not for Nebraska, not for any state. Keep a record of tourney results if you must, but a PR has always been pointless.

resTy

Smash Champion
I will never take Brawl seriously. If I did, maybe I'd be as good in Brawl as I am in Melee.
The game is too different and I don't wanna learn something new because I'm lame.
I'm gonna stick to what I'm average at and play Melee, or just continue Pen Spinning...
Also, I might be doing volunteer crap this Saturday AND next Saturday so I may not be here.

DeLux

Don't everyone bail out on this now, KANSAS is coming.

I've gotten the number up to 4 people now. So it would be really lame if we drove all that way for a tourney of like 5 people lol

resTy

Smash Champion
To be completely honest, there's a chance of you being very disappointed lol.
Just a warning as Nebraska is notorious for our shit games.
Our last one had 10 entries; 3 competent players and 7 scrubs :p

DeLux

I just read like 2 pages of internet forum fighting about power rankings. The competition is obviously intense up there. I want in on some of that action.

But in all seriousness, the people we got coming are like 1 advanced player, 1 intermediate player, 1 newb, and 1 scrub. PS: I am the scrub.

AuraStUrm

Smash Journeyman
Lux, the first thing you need to know is that, while Tyser is a troll on the forums, he's a p cool guy IRL.

If people start showing up sooner than last time, maybe we'll actually be able to do some side events this time. I'm thinking Melee and Minus at the least; anything else people want?

M-Wolf

Smash Apprentice
Hello. I'm rather new to competitive brawl and don't have the resources to go out of state. I live in Omaha so this is a great opportunity for me to go to a tournament. I was just wondering if there is a scheduled date because I didn't see one on the first page.
~M-Wolf

M-Wolf

Smash Apprentice
Ok. Well that's only about two weeks away (not to mention right before finals). I'll have to figure out whether I'm going to be able to go or not.

Edit: I just realized the date is in the title. I feel stupid.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I smell a Trent but I got into a car accident earlier today luckily me, my mom or the other has not got hurt.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
stupid smash boards went down last night when I was posting my response to all of that stuff, but I got like 10 hours of sleep last night so I feel like a new mange. All I have to say is GG222 should be on the list because he meets the qualifications needed, travels, beats scrubs and bleeds Nebraska pride. That's what I want on my PR. None of the other stuff that was said is important or relevant to the original thesis.

gantrain05

Smash Master
please tell me there will be more than 10 ppl this time XD, i mean its cool i like games with IA/NE, but ya know more people could be fun too. aaaaaaand gamegenie, your CTR disc is not in my ps2, its in jokers cuz mine was refusing to play ps1 games. i'll try to get him to bring it when we come down.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
I'll be here.

I think its funny how tyser finds something to do the day of a tourney lol.

He will always troll till the day and come to the tourney.

See you dec 11th tyser.

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
I'll be dropping off Des Moines folk and heading over to Lincoln to see if I can do well in the Pokemon TCG tourney they're having.

JBM: Hopefully we all get to go eat Vietnamese when we're in town. Sorry didn't work out last time with Iowa City's weird time frame of lunch and dinner. Only most Sushi places do that ad I was shock to see it was like that.

resTy

Smash Champion

I just now saw this. It is an interesting idea, but not thread worthy of course.

Our top in Melee include you, me, Devon, David and Mike Z.

For our amateurs, I would prob say Bolun is "technically" the best. He knows what to do with Marth and he knows how to camp. He is good at picking his shots sometimes and I think he just needs to learn patience and learn not to be scared of obscure crap because he's friggin Marth! If he stops going for ********, jank ass kills, he could be decent but Bolun doesn't like listening to people so he's probably just gonna be a player...

Rob is the best when it comes to just trying to win, in my opinion. He is not even remotely technical but he knows when to throw moves and how to play safe. He also doesn't know his character's strengths and weaknesses which is problematic. If he learns the basics (short hop, Lcanceling, wavedashing, etc) he might be a competent player.

Shawn is getting technical and all but his understanding of the game isn't all there yet in my opinion. His Fox does some pretty impressive crap sometimes and there are moments where he looks like one of the veterans of Nebraska but he doesn't know when to attack and when to stay back it feels like. He definitely needs to learn some patience.

These are the only really low level guys I can recall who are active-ish for games.
I'd put them in that order if I had to rank them but I didn't realize there were only three...

Non-Top 5 who are active-ish (6-10?):
1: Tony
2: Mike N.
3: Mo
4: Uli
5: Bolun

This is ******** but god damn I'm so bored right now...

Uli

Smash Champion
honestly after playing at brainshock i was really enjoying my self playing brawl. i was planning on playing MK but i went ike instead XD it was fun playing against the people i lost to

idk if im going to come to this or not. I might just go to lincoln with greg and watch him beat children in card games. ill decide sometime soon >_>

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I just read like 2 pages of internet forum fighting about power rankings. The competition is obviously intense up there. I want in on some of that action.

But in all seriousness, the people we got coming are like 1 advanced player, 1 intermediate player, 1 newb, and 1 scrub. PS: I am the scrub.
Tyser and I are bff's IRL but over the internet we are enemies:starman: He's still better than me, that wasn't the point of discussion but that was where it went to.

Fino, Ares, his brother, and you if I had to guess (though my real guess is that you are Fino).

can we keep singles late? I wouldn't be able to get here till like 8...
tisk tisk, how are you going to make the PR if you can't even make the local tournaments.:sheilda:

please tell me there will be more than 10 ppl this time XD
It's looking like maybe 16-20.

Sorry didn't work out last time with Iowa City's weird time frame of lunch and dinner.
That was so dumb.

You are right about all of that that, if I had to rank the melee scene from what I have seen.

S-tier
#1-JBM

A-tier
#2-David
#3-Tyser
#4-Sm3esh
#5-Mike

B+-tier
#6-Tony
#7-Mike N.

Edit:(Reed belongs here but he's in rehab).

C-tier
Mo hasn't been around for a while, never seen him play even, and I creep a lot (lately) so #8-Uli

D-tier
#9-Bolun
Edit: #10-Ian (if he counts).

Top Bottom