• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Aura Warriors, Discover & Master [READ BEFORE MAKING A THREAD]

First Question: Is this Q & A thread decent?

• Yes.

Votes: 35 46.7%
  • No.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Definitely!

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • I guess.

Votes: 14 18.7%

• Total voters

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
Guys can you help me with the Rosalina MU? I'm really having a hard time against her and I have a lot of troubles punishing her

One example is that she tries to Dsmash me but I shield it, the problem is that she can roll out of it before I can act.

CaptainTalon 447

Smash Rookie
Lucario's double team seems like it's a really important defensive tool but I can't seem to get the timing down for it to trigger. Do you guys have any special ways of using double team?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Lucario's double team seems like it's a really important defensive tool but I can't seem to get the timing down for it to trigger. Do you guys have any special ways of using double team?
Hm. I use it if the opponent becomes desperate. It's worked many times when they're rushing for that revenge kill, or trying to keep the game from going into Sudden Death. Otherwise, I use it when I can accurately predict their style. Like, okay, if I use this attack, they'll dodge it and try to go for the immediate punish. For example, after Extremespeed. I've gotten to the point where I have a feel for how long its range is at various levels of damage, and so sometimes they won't expect it, other times they'll shield it. They'll often expect landing lag. If I can land in the appropriate place with minimal landing lag, I can Double Team afterwards. Things like that.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Pretty much for hard reads or for overly aggressive players. Also useful for certain characters that rely on projectiles. Just don't spam it mindlessly, because a good player will eventually bait it out and punish you.

As far as timing goes, it stays out pretty long. Just have to make the read.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
One thing I liked to do in the marth MU in brawl was DT blank aerials from my opponent to get to the ground faster and gain stage positioning. Should be more viable now that DT is frame 4.

Last edited:

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Can we have frame data on the customs, and can someone look into why you can Extremehog with UpB 2 on the left side of stages but not on the right Side?

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Do you guys have any special ways of using double team?
I use Double Team for reaction-based moments. Like say there's a lot of **** going on during the match in terms of projectiles, traps, etc., use Double Team to avoid all that. That or you can use DT for dash attacks, or for a charging smash attack. Another "special" way of using DT is for when players use their ledge-attack, I counter their hit & punish them. And finally, I've done this once for Smash 4 Lucario, so I can't speak about it with much experience, but I use DT off-stage to recover against aggressive projectiles like Zelda's Dins Fire, by Reverse it if I'm facing toward the stage, or regularly when facing away from the stage.
Guys can you help me with the Rosalina MU? I'm really having a hard time against her and I have a lot of troubles punishing her. One example is that she tries to Dsmash me but I shield it, the problem is that she can roll out of it before I can act.
I'd like to help answer you, but I can't.:c Hopefully someone who knows about the Rosaluma MU can answer your burning question.
Can we have frame data on the customs, and can someone look into why you can Extremehog with UpB 2 on the left side of stages but not on the right Side?
That's. . .educational. This happens for the majority of stage left & right ledges?

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but what should I be doing as far as Lucario's neutral game?
Maybe I'm just use to Falco and Marth in Brawl, but Lucario feels like he's really, really bad in neutrals, but the fact that almost every "early tier list" has him extremely high makes me feel like I'm probably just doing something wrong in that regard.

So I guess my question is really twofold: How should I play Lucario best in the neutral game, or how would I best go about avoiding the neutral game if it's just bad?

Loota

Smash Journeyman
I just dash around with Lucario's really good foxtrot dairing or throwing a real aerial out every now and then (fsmash too if you can handle the controls ;-; ) for pressuring on mid-range, as dash attack is really good at punishing even the smallest openings if you're paying attention to the distance between you and your opponent. Shooting or charging AS is obviously also really useful when you want to force a reaction out of your opponent and continuing to build your stage control. As our ending lag on shooting an AS is longer now, knowledgeable opponents (with proper characters) will try to look an opening to get to you when they expect a shot. That is one thing you might want to bait out and remain charging it/quickly cancel it out while trying to capitalize on the opponent's attempt on punishing it.

As everyone knows, neutral play gets easier at higher percents when you should make your opponent respect the presence of your side B flame and AS (preferably charged near to full for possible charge pressure) and baiting them to commit things you're ready to punish. Everybody knows that getting hit by any of our moves at high % may prove fatal so that's why you should be able to get them to play your game. Also, you should aim for not fearing on losing your aura (= getting more confident in your game and in making comebacks even if you happen to lose it) but making your opponent fear just it's presence. Fear is our friend and it makes our opponents commit for the stupidest things. A scared Lucario is a downed one, that's for sure.

I don't know if i made any sense but there you go, my confusing thoughts put in a blender.

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but what should I be doing as far as Lucario's neutral game?
Maybe I'm just use to Falco and Marth in Brawl, but Lucario feels like he's really, really bad in neutrals, but the fact that almost every "early tier list" has him extremely high makes me feel like I'm probably just doing something wrong in that regard.

So I guess my question is really twofold: How should I play Lucario best in the neutral game, or how would I best go about avoiding the neutral game if it's just bad?
  • Know your combos. UThrow to NAir/UAir/FAir. UThrow to UAir can kill at higher percents. Not many characters have death combos like that.
  • Aura Sphere and Aura Sphere charge. Use them to limit options for your opponents.
  • Then there's Aura. Which can get pretty lulzy at times.
  • Force Palm options.
  • Use these to space. Also, pivot grab range is like 2-3 times the range of our normal grab for whatever reason.
  • Oh and Double Team on reaction...

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
  • Know your combos. UThrow to NAir/UAir/FAir. UThrow to UAir can kill at higher percents. Not many characters have death combos like that.
  • Aura Sphere and Aura Sphere charge. Use them to limit options for your opponents.
  • Then there's Aura. Which can get pretty lulzy at times.
  • Force Palm options.
  • Use these to space. Also, pivot grab range is like 2-3 times the range of our normal grab for whatever reason.
  • Oh and Double Team on reaction...
I do love Uthrow -> Followup, though I've been missing it far more than I'd like (Utilt instead of Uair); Not sure if something changed with regards to the buffering system, or if my timing's just way off. Gonna have to hit the lab with that one!

Aura doesn't actually add range to moves (outside of AS/FP), right? How does that help in neutral outside of trades at percentages when you don't want to trade?

I'm assuming you mean to use FP options to space? That's what I've been doing, and it worked really well until one of my training partners realized that it's not safe on shield even well past 100%, not even while retreating in the air against a lot of characters.

Pivot grab is so good! Roll Cancel Pivot Grab has the extra range as well, right?

I'll have to try using DT a bit, I tend to try and avoid all things counter because I've had bad habits with it before, and that way it can be a surprise option late into the game.

Thanks!

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
So I've been thinking about Lucario a lot and I really like the way he plays. The new aura mechanic is a lot better and I like the way his Dair works now.

So from testing I found that you can cancel onto a platfrom using Dair. For some reason Dair has very little landing lag. It is basically a wave land w/o a slide. Considering how floaty Lucario is I noticed it really helping out on stages with platfroms.
If you perform it just right Lucario wont even get a hit box out. He will just make his signature "UG" sound and you will hear the first kick.
That being said, it might be possible to chain grab with Lucario if you perfect this on a platfrom. If the platform is big enough you "might" be able to do.... b-throw> fall through the platform> double jump, dair cancel> grab.
Basically, since you are using Dair you are free to grab again.
I can't do it quick enough yet to confirm.

Other thoughts were a dair lock and using it like melee flaco's shine> sh> Dair> L cancel repeat to bust a shield. I will have to do more testing to see how it affects a shield and how much shield stun it causes. But what I was doing was buffering a rising dair to the point that I was hoping he would land after the first hit box (but unfortunetly it doesn't lower his hurt box allowing you to cancel the jump). What I found was pretty much a dair or 2 a second.
If you do this on someone like Mario only the first hit box will hit and you can rinse and repeat. If you hold the analog down to the corner you will do this and slightly move in a direction. I believe that it is 100% escapable, but it might be a true lock dpending on their percent and yours since the aura effect factors into this. More testing is needed to confirm.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Without looking at MTI's Aura Chart I wouldn't of suspected they'd scale from Aura, but IIRC every single attack Lucario can input scales with Aura, disregarding Custom Moves. The only thing that doesn't scale is items in Lucario's possession & thrown. This is fantastic because even his floor attacks & Trip attack scale with Aura & get-up floor attacks already do a lot of shield damage.

My own question:
  • Aura boosted Floor attacks can break shields?!

Last edited:

_Malal

Smash Cadet
That's. . .educational. This happens for the majority of stage left & right ledges?
Tested it myself , all left and right ledges share this strange property.

Had someone who already had the WiiU version test it as well, it's still in unfortunately.

Gives Lucario the very strange quality of having more trump options while edge guarding on the left side of stages.

I hope we can break down why it does this when the console version drops. It's really weird, even for smash.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Tested it myself , all left and right ledges share this strange property.

Had someone who already had the WiiU version test it as well, it's still in unfortunately.

Gives Lucario the very strange quality of having more trump options while edge guarding on the left side of stages.

I hope we can break down why it does this when the console version drops. It's really weird, even for smash.
I wouldn't be surprised if it were a side effect of the combination of the fact that things are mapped in 3D space (like why D3's Brawl spotdodge was good; not invincibility, but how far back he leans) combined with how characters turn to face the screen more now

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Around 70ish is where things start getting interesting. Once you get around 140 (somehow), things become hilarious.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
So...

It looks like with VI gone (?) and DI really weak (VI/DI/whatever it is is really odd, still trying to figure it out) people die early. This could end up as a passive nerf to Lucario, as we die earlier - coupled with the landing lag on ES, it could potentially hurt a lot.

So looks like we have to be even more careful now, but that's nothing new. Just a heads up!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It probably is just normal DI from Brawl, but they didn't fix/clean up vector or whatever influence which was probably unintended. I suspect another patch will be out in the future to fix it up, unless this is what the developers fully intended in the beginning.

CaptainTalon 447

Smash Rookie
Does Lucario's shorthops feel touchy to you guys? I tried to do it in practice mode but all too often I find myself in a full jump than a shorthop

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Tap Jump seems really sensitive in general. I'm betting it's because since the game is basically a 3DS port, they had to make it super sensitive for the 3DS control nub to get the input read or some nonsense and left it as is.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm probably wrong, but my impression was that the game reads your jump depending on how long you hold the control stick in up and away from neutral position. Try flicking the stick up and letting go immediately...guaranteed shorthops every time, even if you press all the way. But if you press and hold up longer than the "flicking" motion, it does a fulljump. Same concept for X/Y buttons and how long you keep it held down.

Again, I think this was done because of the 3DS and how they were force to transition it when thet ported it AND the fact that people can use the 3DS as a controller probably has something to do with it.

But I could be totally wrong...

Last edited:

_Nives_

Smash Cadet
Hello fellow lucario
2 question did the fthrow can still be used has a kill move ? around which %
Did the AFA connect to a kill move ? because actually beside edgeguard i dont use AFA

thanks

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Hello fellow lucario
2 question did the fthrow can still be used has a kill move ? around which %
Did the AFA connect to a kill move ? because actually beside edgeguard i dont use AFA

thanks
Sup,
I've never KOd someone with F-throw unfortunately in my experience. Then again I wasn't at high Aura when i used the F-throw.

As for the "AFA", is that supposed to mean F-air? You may wanna clarify what AFA means 'cus I've never heard of it.

Pentao

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys usually use for your KOs?

I find that most of my KOs will come from up air, Aura Sphere gimps, or a force palm grab.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
What do you guys usually use for your KOs?

I find that most of my KOs will come from up air, Aura Sphere gimps, or a force palm grab.
Been using a lot of Force Palm, but I need to use it less.

It just feels sooo good to grab someone with it and kill under 100%. Super duper punishable on whiff... Marios even roll behind me and DSmash.

I have a lot more special kills in For Glory compared to Smashes.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
I do love Uthrow -> Followup, though I've been missing it far more than I'd like (Utilt instead of Uair); Not sure if something changed with regards to the buffering system, or if my timing's just way off. Gonna have to hit the lab with that one!

Aura doesn't actually add range to moves (outside of AS/FP), right? How does that help in neutral outside of trades at percentages when you don't want to trade?

I'm assuming you mean to use FP options to space? That's what I've been doing, and it worked really well until one of my training partners realized that it's not safe on shield even well past 100%, not even while retreating in the air against a lot of characters.

Pivot grab is so good! Roll Cancel Pivot Grab has the extra range as well, right?

I'll have to try using DT a bit, I tend to try and avoid all things counter because I've had bad habits with it before, and that way it can be a surprise option late into the game.

Thanks!
No, actually it does extend the range of moves such as d-tilt and f-tilt, learned this the 2nd day I had the game :/. (no worries :)
-:mewtwomelee:MewtwoXLucario:lucario:

Last edited:

Sam!

Smash Rookie
Hey all, I'm still new to smash 4 and picking up Lucario at the moment, are there any suggestions for the Little Mac matchup? I'm having a really tough time since he'll usually knock me out before aura starts taking a big effect on the match, and the only thing I can do is try zoning with spheres and occasional force palms; I can't win any sort of physical engagement. Is there something I'm not getting?

Also, am I bad/still learning or is the Sheik matchup hilarious? I just get juggled to infinity and beyond to around 70-80% without hardly being able to defend myself, THEN it feels like the match starts where I stop getting juggled, aura takes effect and I'm able to retaliate and control Sheik with palm. Although I am able to juggle Sheik 0-40% with no aura from utilt spam.

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Hey all, I'm still new to smash 4 and picking up Lucario at the moment, are there any suggestions for the Little Mac matchup? I'm having a really tough time since he'll usually knock me out before aura starts taking a big effect on the match, and the only thing I can do is try zoning with spheres and occasional force palms; I can't win any sort of physical engagement. Is there something I'm not getting?

Also, am I bad/still learning or is the Sheik matchup hilarious? I just get juggled to infinity and beyond to around 70-80% without hardly being able to defend myself, THEN it feels like the match starts where I stop getting juggled, aura takes effect and I'm able to retaliate and control Sheik with palm. Although I am able to juggle Sheik 0-40% with no aura from utilt spam.
Oh, Little Mac is a silly matchup.

Hang out around the edge and bait throws. Do not just always stand at the ledge, but you need to bait stuff. Once you get him in the air you can do whatever. Watch out for random counters.

If you can grab pummel release him over the ledge well... Good luck to him recovering.

If they miss sweet spotting the ledge With their Up B I shield and grab pummel release.

Learn to space vs. Mac. Our disjointed attacks like FTilt can hit him when he's spamming Jab1.

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
Guys can you help me with the Rosalina MU? I'm really having a hard time against her and I have a lot of troubles punishing her

One example is that she tries to Dsmash me but I shield it, the problem is that she can roll out of it before I can act.
The Rosalina match up is all sorts of hard. It's never not going to be hard.

The thing is you gotta be able to pressure her. Make sure you're mixing it up and are not predictable at all. Always try to kill the luma first if you can. It really gimps both her range and killing potential. It's all about being safe though so keep it in mind that Luma isn't always top priority as there's a whole other character to account for.

Counter will be your friend in this matchup for sure. I know it's a pain in the ass to learn its timing window but really if you're maining lucario you better get used to it. Rosa has some obvious approaches especially in air considering her stuff tends to take a while to actually connect.

Otherwise it's really just reading how the rosalina player is playing and punish accordingly. Rushing in? Grab her do a down throw to up air and Nair should do some good damage.

Last edited:

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
I might as well ask, any tips on how I can improve over my friend's Lucario? He tends to use advancing force palm and piercing sphere fyi. My issue is that he simply comes back when I finally screw up. All those combos that I put a lot of effort and attention to? Down the drain (No, not trying to be salty.) I either die to a shield break, force palm grab spam, or a lucky double team. Also get hit because of the laggy aerials I have.

Well he does know his character kinda does the work for him, so at least he's humble when he wins. I already do air dodges, baiting, and all that stuff to get in combos. I'm also glad my dash attack outprioritizes his.

On the flip side, I do what I call "ping pong" in him at high enough percents. Trying to land near me? Thanks! Free up smash. Edge? Send ya back with a dash attack. Hit me? Dodge and hit or smash.

So I do know what I need to do, which is kill him, and kill him quick. Just want to see if there's any advice you guys can offer. Thanks for reading.

tl; dr. Need help against Lucario with advancing force palm and piercing sphere. Tends to get campy and side b spams when desperate.

EDIT: forgive me if this is the wrong place. I iz a big n00b...

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I might as well ask, any tips on how I can improve over my friend's Lucario? He tends to use advancing force palm and piercing sphere fyi. My issue is that he simply comes back when I finally screw up. All those combos that I put a lot of effort and attention to? Down the drain (No, not trying to be salty.) I either die to a shield break, force palm grab spam, or a lucky double team. Also get hit because of the laggy aerials I have.

Well he does know his character kinda does the work for him, so at least he's humble when he wins. I already do air dodges, baiting, and all that stuff to get in combos. I'm also glad my dash attack outprioritizes his.

On the flip side, I do what I call "ping pong" in him at high enough percents. Trying to land near me? Thanks! Free up smash. Edge? Send ya back with a dash attack. Hit me? Dodge and hit or smash.

So I do know what I need to do, which is kill him, and kill him quick. Just want to see if there's any advice you guys can offer. Thanks for reading.

tl; dr. Need help against Lucario with advancing force palm and piercing sphere. Tends to get campy and side b spams when desperate.

EDIT: forgive me if this is the wrong place. I iz a big n00b...
Okay, if you're consistently losing to Double Team, it's really not luck. You're playing in a way that is easily predictable, particularly when he and/or you have enough damage for DT to hurt. Shield breaks... Lucario doesn't break shields in one hit - don't overuse your shield. Advancing Force Palm is pretty weak relative to normal Force Palm, but it does have better grab range. I don't know what to tell you other than mix up what you're doing and play safer? It's sounding more like your fault than his Lucario's :/

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Okay, if you're consistently losing to Double Team, it's really not luck. You're playing in a way that is easily predictable, particularly when he and/or you have enough damage for DT to hurt. Shield breaks... Lucario doesn't break shields in one hit - don't overuse your shield. Advancing Force Palm is pretty weak relative to normal Force Palm, but it does have better grab range. I don't know what to tell you other than mix up what you're doing and play safer? It's sounding more like your fault than his Lucario's :/
lol thanks.

but. He. Wont. Freaking. Approach. So I always have to start the ball rolling.

Top Bottom