• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Aura Warriors, Discover & Master [READ BEFORE MAKING A THREAD]

First Question: Is this Q & A thread decent?

• Yes.

Votes: 35 46.7%
  • No.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Definitely!

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • I guess.

Votes: 14 18.7%

• Total voters

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Hey Lucario mains! I'm another salty scrub that's come here to berate you and then ask you for advice =3

Anyway, I main Luigi and I find Lucario a very frustrating match up. Comboing is no trouble for Luigi so I don't have much trouble racking up percent. The trouble is Lucario can be quite evasive and is extremely punishing at high percents, so if I don't get the KO fast I find myself having to dodge gigantic aura spheres that ruin my day.

I want to pick up a secondary to help against Lucario, but I don't really know Lucario's bad/even match ups or why they're bad/even. Any advice? Maybe Fox?

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
What are Lucario's safe options on shields? Seems like I get grabbed anytime I hit someone's shield with something.
Grabbing them instead of doing a dash attack or whatever. If someone it straight up turtling like that you're going to get grabbed if you're going on the offensive.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Hey Lucario mains! I'm another salty scrub that's come here to berate you and then ask you for advice =3

Anyway, I main Luigi and I find Lucario a very frustrating match up. Comboing is no trouble for Luigi so I don't have much trouble racking up percent. The trouble is Lucario can be quite evasive and is extremely punishing at high percents, so if I don't get the KO fast I find myself having to dodge gigantic aura spheres that ruin my day.

I want to pick up a secondary to help against Lucario, but I don't really know Lucario's bad/even match ups or why they're bad/even. Any advice? Maybe Fox?
Fox if your spacing is really good, otherwise use Diddy or Sonic?
What are Lucario's safe options on shields? Seems like I get grabbed anytime I hit someone's shield with something.
BReversing Aura Sphere into their face is probably the safest option and will apply much needed shield pressure. You will need to space it very precisely because they may just punish before you hit the ground if you are too high or they may just roll away from the direction you are facing.

Landing Force Palm Grab is also an option, but is punishable on whiff.

Radirgy

Smash Apprentice
I keep getting destroyed by aura spheres because I don't know how to dodge and counter them. How can I beat it? The moment I start approaching from air the Lucario just moves out of the way. Shields don't work because they eventually break, using a reflect character like Fox doesn't work because it's too obvious, Marth Counter doesn't work because the moment I'm in counter range they move instead of shooting the sphere and projectiles don't work because aura sphere can cancel out/go through them.
What do I do?

I played the same guy over 30 times last night in FG so I could get my head around the match up but the Aura Sphere was always my undoing, everything else I had an answer to.

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
I keep getting destroyed by aura spheres because I don't know how to dodge and counter them. Can can I beat it? The moment I start approaching from air the Lucario just moves out of the way. Shields don't work because they eventually break, using a reflect character like Fox doesn't work because it's too obvious, Marth Counter doesn't work because the moment I'm in counter range they move instead of shooting the sphere and projectiles don't work because aura sphere can cancel out/go through them.
What do I do?

I played the same guy over 30 times last night in FG so I could get my head around the match up but the Aura Sphere was always my undoing, everything else I had an answer to.
Your best options are to get out of the way or power shielding them.

That will be more difficult on WiFi.

Radirgy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah on wi-fi shields have input lag so power shields are a no go. I'll have to find someone to help me test it in offline.

Last edited:

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
How does Lucario do against characters who rack up damage quick, but have a little trouble landing the final blow (aka ZSS, Sonic, Shiek, etc.)? They can pressure Lucario pretty well, but they also help build his Aura pretty quickly. Lucario's moves are not the fastest either and I still find it hard to land killing blows even at high Aura.

Also, do any of his normal throws kill in this game? I remember forward throw being his best kill throw in Brawl, but it seems to be weaker knockback wise.

Last edited:

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
How does Lucario do against characters who rack up damage quick, but have a little trouble landing the final blow (aka ZSS, Sonic, Shiek, etc.)? They can pressure Lucario pretty well, but they also help build his Aura pretty quickly. Lucario's moves are not the fastest either and I still find it hard to land killing blows even at high Aura.

Also, do any of his normal throws kill in this game? I remember forward throw being his best kill throw in Brawl, but it seems to be weaker knockback wise.
none of his throws kill in this game unless you're on some jank walk off. But if you're doing upthrow and a third person happens to get inside the hitbox they will be launched extremely far and possibly killed past 120ish%

Fthrow wasnt lucarios best kill throw in brawl, bthrow was if you mixed up a persons di with a cute pivot grab or something

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
You jump, let's say forward and hold forward. Then while still in the air AND while still holding forward you press the B button and quickly hold back at the same time ~<3
that's b-reverse, not wavebouncing

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
Last edited:

Pikachutobal

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-8141-2794
I have heard that Lucario is not an easy character to use
to exploit their potential, It has to play defensively
I never played defensively, as I am taking offensive characters like Bowser.
How I can learn to play defensively and how it applies to Lucario?

Croi

Smash Lord
In truth, you can play Lucario how you generally play any other character: go in as hard as you want at low percents, and hang back and camp like you don't want to die at high percents. Lucario only wants to "play defensively" because he doesn't have the best or strongest approach options other than grab, but his punish options are triple-S tier.

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
Does anyone out there know the timing for a neutral b wavebounce? I can already preform a wavebounce with forward b, but I can't get the wavebounce for neutral b.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Do any of you have a Lucario you vs that just camps AS and only use smash attacks at high %?

Please share some strategies, I can easily win the games with two stocks at the start but I can't keep doing it consistently.

This is a Lucario ditto btw.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Does anyone out there know the timing for a neutral b wavebounce? I can already preform a wavebounce with forward b, but I can't get the wavebounce for neutral b.
The timing between both are very similar to me, but I guess the timing to WaveBounce Aura Sphere is sliiiiiiightly more of a delayed input than WaveBounce Force Palm. Instead of rapidly tapping the control stick directions in a quick manner, slow it down a smidge with WBAS. I apologize in advance if this didn't help. . .

ActionShot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Actionshot35
What kind of options do you guys typically use to edge guard with Lucario? I've realized I tend not to edge guard with Lucario much because I typically don't have too much of a concrete plan for it, plus I'm scared I'll somehow mess up and get spiked or otherwise KO'd, losing my aura, because I left the safety of the stage.

How do you guys like to ensure your opponent isn't getting back?

Pentao

Smash Apprentice
What kind of options do you guys typically use to edge guard with Lucario? I've realized I tend not to edge guard with Lucario much because I typically don't have too much of a concrete plan for it, plus I'm scared I'll somehow mess up and get spiked or otherwise KO'd, losing my aura, because I left the safety of the stage.

How do you guys like to ensure your opponent isn't getting back?
Aura Sphere is the #1 rookie killer. If your opponent isn't that good, the first thing that's going to end them is just chucking a sphere at them while they're off stage. You don't even have to leave the stage to pop em' with it, but as your opponents are more and more savvy, they'll air dodge and attempt to recover low. As long as you can force them to recover low, you can go for a run-off d-air and try to stage spike them. Lucario can try to gimp with f-airs and n-airs as well, since he can recover from just about anywhere with ExtremeSpeed. The key is that if you go in deep, you should be pressuring them away from the stage. If they're just going to dodge you and reach the stage, then quick players can start edge guarding you. You don't want to have someone like Sheik just bypass your attempts to gimp them and start b-airing you from the ledge, especially if they go for a bouncing fish afterward 'cause then you'll lose your stock.

The threat of having a fully charged Aura Sphere is, in my opinion, one of the best ways to keep your opponent predictable off-stage, since if it's the main thing on your opponent's mind, you have more freedom with aerials. If you don't have one charged, you can always go for a b-air read, but you usually need to predict an air dodge first. Aside from that, shooting them from the stage with non-fully charged spheres or Force Palm blasts usually keeps them from getting a free recovery.

If your opponent is returning to the stage from high up and you don't have a charged sphere, you can usually space a f-air to beat most spike attempts. Lucario's up-air is deadly, so most people don't want to get hit by it, and contesting it can result in them dying too so yeah. Lucario's aerials aren't the best at edge guarding, but they can get the job done.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Do any of you have a Lucario you vs that just camps AS and only use smash attacks at high %?

Please share some strategies, I can easily win the games with two stocks at the start but I can't keep doing it consistently.

This is a Lucario ditto btw.
The ditto matchup is silly in general. It's basically who has better momentum when they get Aura or who is the first person to do something crazy.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
The ditto matchup is silly in general. It's basically who has better momentum when they get Aura or who is the first person to do something crazy.
The Lucario who can safely land more is the one who will usually win too, imo.

Dexmaster

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry if this isn't the place to post this, but the FAQ says to buffer both aerials. What exactly does that mean?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Buffering is when you input a move up to 10 frames (not sure if right) in advance so that it comes out as soon as possible. Some people find it to be good, but other people see this as being bad. Depends on an individual's opinion.

Astronut

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know which one of Lucario's moves can be used to jab reset? I know you can do it with nair at 0% aura and I was wondering how aura affects the nair reset percents as well.

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
lets say youre moving to the right in the air, the input would be hard analog stick left, then back to neutral, B, then hit hard on the analog stick right, all in quick succession

:GCL: :GCN: :GCB: :GCR: if moving right
:GCR: :GCN: :GCB: :GCL: if moving left

I like to think of it as a turn-around b-reverse, its easiest when you practice just moving right and turning around to ASC first (the first 2 inputs)

I personally havent found too many uses for it besides being a mix up for people who know lucs b-reverse zones but if you master it who knows!

Hope this helps

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
lets say youre moving to the right in the air, the input would be hard analog stick left, then back to neutral, B, then hit hard on the analog stick right, all in quick succession

:GCL: :GCN: :GCB: :GCR: if moving right
:GCR: :GCN: :GCB: :GCL: if moving left

I like to think of it as a turn-around b-reverse, its easiest when you practice just moving right and turning around to ASC first (the first 2 inputs)

I personally havent found too many uses for it besides being a mix up for people who know lucs b-reverse zones but if you master it who knows!

Hope this helps
It can be used for ASC Jump Cancelled Up Smash combos.

Some people also claim that B-sticking (changing the C-Stick to do specials) make it easier to do wavebounces, but I haven't tried it for myself. Here's a vid for it as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Wix_KsK5g

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Some people also claim that B-sticking (changing the C-Stick to do specials) make it easier to do wavebounces, but I haven't tried it for myself. Here's a vid for it as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Wix_KsK5g
I've tried to B-Stick with Lucario, & from that experience I disagree. Trying to B-Stick for WaveBouncing Aura Sphere wasn't great.
In Brawl, B-Stick's diagonal directions :GCCUR: & :GCCUL: (& I think :GCCDR: & :GCCDL: too?) would execute as WBAS, but those same inputs I tried came out as just regular Force Palms, B-Reversed Force Palms, or WaveBounced Force Palms.:ohwell: Maybe I'll put more practice into it but this was definitely disappointing for my 10 minute session of practicing B-Sticking Lucario because the only thing worth out of it was Force Palm, which isn't that bad if it meant improving on Force Palm.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
What do you Lucario Mains think about utilizing Hoop Damage for the times you're knocked off-stage & take 1% every moment you're near the blast-line?

Examples:
  1. Wall-clinging to an Omega stage, favoring the idea to recover from low
  2. Launched off-stage & purposefully staying back to take hoop damage

Croi

Smash Lord
Like, to build aura? Not worth it at all. Our recovery is incredible but it won't be that hard to edgeguard us.

Unless you mean bubble damage counts to refresh our ledge invincibility? If so, that'd be skanky.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
The first wall-cling to a wall surface can rack up 4% if you fully wait all 3-4 seconds? & if you're quick about wall-jumping off & recovering as normally. But as for the hoop damage dealing damage to us in order to refresh ledge invincibility, it doesn't do that unfotunately. That would of been skanky or sure.

Last edited:

DigitalAtom6

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DigitalAtom6
3DS FC
1864-9481-4247
So I know how to wavebounce with AS and ASC. The thing I don't know, is how is this useful in a match? When should I wavebounce in a match?

Top Bottom