• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aura Malarkey in 3D .:. Lsgd

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Oh Kotaku...you are so bad.

:phone:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I've been practicing some things in brawl, not just with my character. I never realised Nana could do Dthrow and popo could run and do a turn-around grab. It's not very practical but it looks so cool and demoralizing... @.@

@BC: It isn't going any further south... right? o.O

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Melee should've already been in the lineup at EVO, but... I'm merely making the best out of all situations... If Melee does win we can take advantage of that and tell Sakurai to shuddap about tripping in future Smash games...

Imagine Nintendo's reaction after we show them how much attention Melee, not Brawl has stirred up for EVO. So, this is a long-term, deep strategy.

Mewtario

Smash Ace
Nintendo cares more about the wider, random-loving public and friendly matches than they do their tournament scene.

And I like it that way! When it comes to e-sports, World of Tanks and its sister projects are my games of choice.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Melee showing up at EVO instead of Brawl will literally say nothing to Sakurai other than "you succeeded in your goal of making smash not competitive with Brawl"

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I think he knew that when Brawl was being developed...

Such a close race...

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Sora and Bamco are working on it together.

But it's still Sakurai's game, so he probably still has final say.

Cloudfox

Smash Ace
Melee should've already been in the lineup at EVO, but... I'm merely making the best out of all situations... If Melee does win we can take advantage of that and tell Sakurai to shuddap about tripping in future Smash games...

Imagine Nintendo's reaction after we show them how much attention Melee, not Brawl has stirred up for EVO. So, this is a long-term, deep strategy.
Basically what Espy said. Sakurai's not going to try to make Smash 4 more like Melee just because it's what the competitive community would want. You can tell if you go back and piece things together from pre- and post-Brawl interviews that he probably hoped Brawl would be a better compromise than it turned out to be, but he cares a lot more about catering to people who aren't very good at video games, yet want to be able to sit down and play Smash and have a good time without having to develop a lot of tech skill first.

Basically I wouldn't get my hopes up about the stuff that made Melee exciting and dynamic getting put back in, unless he's recently changed his mind yet again on what Smash should be.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It can be assumed Smash 4 will not be as good as Melee.

But it will hopefully be better than Brawl. If it's at least as good as 64, which is like the middle ground, then people can deal with it.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's because Melee's fighting system feels the most polished in the series. It's the closest to be considered a fighting game.

Compare it to Brawl, which took everything Melee had and made it the opposite.

Keep in mind that Melee was designed with the 64 version in mind, so they added/upgraded features to the 64 battle system (side B move, airdodging, directional throws, powershielding, etc.).

Compare this to the Brawl system where they added features to make it more accessible/casual (tripping, easier DI, footstooling, easier powershielding, autosnap, no hitstun for less combos, etc) and removed some of the improvements from Melee.

And of course, pacing.

Mewtario

Smash Ace
Project M has set out to make Brawl entirely boring.

The spirit of the Smash games is to set themselves apart from other fighting games (except, now, Playstation All-Stars: Battle Royale, I suppose, unless Sakurai pulls a curve ball specifically to counteract it) as much as possible, and a considerable deal of that comes from the randomness of the fights, as aided by items and, in Brawl, tripping.

Plus, it's positively comedic, not to mention satisfying, to throw a Homerun Bat from the upper/mid-left part of Temple, have it bounce across a surface, skip back into the air, and smack the opposing player as he's in the middle of jumping over the hurdle in the middle of the stage, sending him flying backwards!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Another game to add to my list of games I will never finish.

Top Bottom