• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AUGUST 15 - 16th - ROFA'S MIDWEST CIRCUIT EVENT - GONNA BE HYPE AS **** IN ANN ARBOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingding

Smash Ace
so if we go there for smashfest on friday.. pay the venue fee.. leave at 10.. and come back the next day... do we have to pay the venue fee again...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Vayseth, you have to realize that you're talking about MAJOR tournaments, of which there have been rather few here in Michigan. Players who do not even have a chance of placing into money are typically a little more tight with payments on the tournaments. I mean, come on, it's Michigan - all these people here who claim to be amazing, so why do they want to pay $20 just to be proven wrong?

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
lol? thats not it at all...its the fact i wont have the money to enter. i had 10 for the doubles. and 15 i was gonna try to get with mm's.

ill try hard to come though

dingding

Smash Ace
no its not money problem.. its because i have non and i only get a certain amount a week from my parents to use it on w/e i want

Vayseth

Smash Master
so if we go there for smashfest on friday.. pay the venue fee.. leave at 10.. and come back the next day... do we have to pay the venue fee again...
Absolutely not. It's $5 per person for the weekend, and can be waived by bringing a TV and a wii to be used at the tournament. If $5 is what really is annoying you, just bring a set up.

Same to thax and everyone else. Thax, come and bring a set up and you're fine. Did everyone forget to read the last sentence? Bring a set up! We need them anyway.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I didn't get money from my parents. :(

We in the smash community have a saying:

No johns

To everyone copping out because of poor planning: lame.

To everyone copping out because they thought they'd get the money from MM's: bad idea

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
Um...Im little worried about parking the OP says the same church as last time, well this is my first time coming down there so better directions would be great.

Like a street and address please.
----

And LOL at the no shoes the smell is going to be epic, everyone shower.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Um...Im little worried about parking the OP says the same church as last time, well this is my first time coming down there so better directions would be great.

Like a street and address please.
----

And LOL at the no shoes the smell is going to be epic, everyone shower.
It should be fine (the smell). I would like you to drive up to the venue and then receive directions from us directly on where to park. It's hard to explain if you've never been before so just come to the venue itself and we'll help you out. PM me for my number so I can help you tomorrow.

sry omni, i cant moneymatch anymore, i was planning on saving my spare $5 for mm's but thats going to the venue fee now =/
OMG, JOHNS. Bring a set up and quit talking like a venue fee is the end of the world. Set up a tournament yourself and then I'll listen to you. You guys think that tournaments just HAPPEN. They require a lot of work and more often than not, a lot of money. MI smash has been blessed with TOs who avoid venue fees like the plague. However, due to the size of the event, we had to rent space. Please understand and bring a set up if you are SO inconvenienced by $5.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
i wasnt complaining about the venue fee.........i was just letting omni know now that i wont be mm'ing so that he wont think im wussing out of mm'ing him when i get to the tournament............

Vayseth

Smash Master
Nah, I'm being harsh in all honesty. Rofa and I had this feeling that everyone would be upset by the venue fee so we're with you, we don't want to charge it, but we have to, and we feel that we're being reasonable with $5. Please understand our position and, like I said, if $5 is a stretch, bring a full set up. We all win this way.

Vayseth

Smash Master
lolz, there's no way we're getting 37 full set ups, and since NoJ is being NoJ, i will clarify and say that only if your set up is used will you get the $5 off. I doubt more than a handful of people will have full set ups, and it'll be fine.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Thank you everyone for your support.

Please note that everyone should label their property so there are no misunderstandings. Label controllers, wiis, and TVs at the very least, and keep an eye on your stuff.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm bringing my recording equipment, but I won't be able to watch it at all times unless I played every single game on that TV. I'll be putting my faith in the Smash community that there will be no tampering with my laptop.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
I would take a wild stab that there will be WiFi at this venue? Oh, and I am also bringing my camera from recording purposes as well...

Vayseth

Smash Master
I won't be entering, I'll be full time running the event, so I'm sure we can put it at a station close to me so I can watch it more often than not.

I'm actually pretty confident that there isn't any wi-fi owned by the venue per say, but I'm sure there are local connections you can get access to (or we can get passwords for, maybe...).

Scala

Smash Ace
Hey Scala, still looking for a doubles partner?
Yes. Are you going to be there on friday? I'd like to play you first so 1) You know how well I play and 2) I know how well you play. I mean, I main yoshi so-- interpret that how you wish :). But yeah if you want to, I'm game :)

Also, vayseth. I know that we always have some wacky side-tournament. The difference here is that the old ones relied on skill, you could still win. This random tournament WILL screw you and I think it's too much based on luck. Also, I think the people who want to play in the saturday tournament are GOING TO PLAY regardless of whether or not there is another singles tournament the night before. People who weren't going to play in the singles saturday tournament now have something to actually do that doesn't involve luck. Besides, this is totally different than the biweeklies, I don't think you can compare this tournament to those ones.

That said, I stand by what I said: I really think that we should change the side tournament to a regular singles tournament, and have some wacky $1 random tournaments (singles and/or doubles) like way late at night after the crew battles. Seriously, it's way funnier when you're tired and you get forced with a stupid matchup.

Am I the only one that thinks this??

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Yes. Are you going to be there on friday? I'd like to play you first so 1) You know how well I play and 2) I know how well you play. I mean, I main yoshi so-- interpret that how you wish :). But yeah if you want to, I'm game :)
Sweet, sounds good. I can tell you right now that I am not up to par with most people that play the game, but I am a decent player. But, we'll find out tomorrow as I am coming up tomorrow.

OS! Still on for that random v. random $1 MM?

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
OMG, JOHNS. Bring a set up and quit talking like a venue fee is the end of the world. Set up a tournament yourself and then I'll listen to you. You guys think that tournaments just HAPPEN. They require a lot of work and more often than not, a lot of money. MI smash has been blessed with TOs who avoid venue fees like the plague. However, due to the size of the event, we had to rent space. Please understand and bring a set up if you are SO inconvenienced by $5.

this

10thises

vayseth is a good dude, by the way.

just thought i'd throw that out there.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Also, vayseth. I know that we always have some wacky side-tournament. The difference here is that the old ones relied on skill, you could still win. This random tournament WILL screw you and I think it's too much based on luck. Also, I think the people who want to play in the saturday tournament are GOING TO PLAY regardless of whether or not there is another singles tournament the night before. People who weren't going to play in the singles saturday tournament now have something to actually do that doesn't involve luck. Besides, this is totally different than the biweeklies, I don't think you can compare this tournament to those ones.
That's not entirely true; the first Ann Arbor one I went to had several people play in the $5 side tournament then leave and not play the next day becasue they didn't win any money or just got creamed in the side tournament.

I don't really like the $5 random tournament as a tournament either, but it's a fun diversion. I don't think they really meant for the side tournament to be a competitive thing as much as an "event" to have for fun. Ya know, fun. Personally, I'd like to see an ironman side tournament sometime, but a random tournament can be fun too. :)

Nothing's better than your opponent saying "mulligan" on your Wario vs. his Ganon only to get his Jigglypuff vs. your main character on the next match.

That said, I stand by what I said: I really think that we should change the side tournament to a regular singles tournament, and have some wacky $1 random tournaments (singles and/or doubles) like way late at night after the crew battles. Seriously, it's way funnier when you're tired and you get forced with a stupid matchup.

I don't think anyone else really cares too much about it, really. Friday has an F, which stands for Fun! Except for crews, which is **** serious; but that starts at midnight, which is Saturday. The S stands for SIT DOWN ADN PLAY SMASH

Vayseth

Smash Master
Honestly, no. The moment I brought it up with Panda he said the exact same thing you said here. Before I even posted.

However, this is a small $5 tournament and is for fun, as OS said. Honestly, I would rather not run it at all, and just run crews for serious, because I would hate running a tournament until 2 or 3 am and then having to be back before noon to run doubles. However, we've always done $5 side tournaments and it's more of a way for people to have fun and a way for out of staters to try and make some of their costs back (if they can).

Are you telling me you'd rather do a doubles tournament with a lvl9 computer? I could change it but I thought randoms would be more popular. Please let me know if that is not the case.

So Iggy and Joshu might not make it. Who wants dibs?

OS? Panda?
So um.. WTF? It's not displaying on my screen but Panda is there when I quote you. Weird. Anyway, TELL THEM THEY HAVE TO COME. Everyone always drops at the last minute =(

Vayseth

Smash Master
I have an exam in 6 hours, I'm going to sleep/going to study more so I'm going to be offline for a while. I probably won't be online before the majority of people get here so...

Number: 586.295.0245
Name: Alex

Call me if you have problems or have questions. Call me between 8 am and 10 am eastern and I will KILL you. Seriously KILL you. After that is fine =)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Joshu just recently got a new job and moved to Indy. Iggy can't contact him so he is assuming the worst.
I just talked to him on AIM and Joshu said

"I have a car and am going"

so unless his car breaks down, you may need another teammate.

I know my lil bro is teammateless if you wanted to play him tomorrow and see if he was good enough for you. He plays MK.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
Hot arms Its kool man i understand. **** happens, also i will be taking 1$ Random MM's and normal MM's get to me before my meds were off or i wont take them :-/ see you all today.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
if anyone's interested in teaming with jekyll the crazy ganondorf player he's open too so you might wanna talk to him cause he's ridin in the same car i am!! :colorful:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom