• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ATTN EU TOs: 10 minute timers

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Good now we only need Uganda to adopt the rule then we're done.

In all srsness though, all I want is opinions and mostly arguments against it, considering that I've been the first to adopt it afaik.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I've rarely seen timeouts in Europe. I guess it benefits some matchups where neither side would really want to approach and there is something to be said for not blindly taking Melee's timer. However, in several cases it will just be a new anchor for people and the Wario example is legitimate (more time for him to stall until he gets a fart). From a TO perspective it might mean longer matches, but there is also the argument that it will discourage timeouts to a certain extent. All in all I'd say to just experiment with it, but in our metagame it's likely to not really make a difference one way or the other.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Chair, maybe if you elaborated more I'd feel more inclined to agree.

I guess when you want to extend the timer you think the match could have progressed normally (as in, the winner doesn't necessarily approach but he isn't focusing on running away) and ended before the time limit.

Is it fair to assume then that the timeouts you have witnessed could have been "prevented" (the more literal version would be not encouraged) by adding 2 minutes? What were the circumstances that made you think 1 more minute wasn't enough: % scores? The time it takes for someone to catch up with/corner a fleeing opponent? The time it takes for someone to deal a strong knockback move on a fleeing opponent?

Lord Chair

Smash Master
All of those, obviously. 1 minute isn't really a lot, people wouldn't feel as disinclined to camp out the match if that last stock is merely taking another minute, 2 minutes does the job better.

Honestly I'd advocate a 15 minute timer, or a 20 minute timer if it weren't for the mere fact that it's possible for certain players to ruin tournaments that way. I don't see that being possible with a 10 minute timer or an 11 minute timer, it gets more troublesome after that. 10 minutes is also easy to remember :)

The whole argument some Germans tend to come up with that advocates 9 minutes because 'it makes more sense cuz you give every stock 3 minutes that way' is silly. We play this game with 3 stocks per match, there's no reason you would assign whole minutes to a stock. 3 minutes is not more or less arbitrary than 3 minutes and 20 seconds.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
There's no way to determine optimal time limits, so my method isn't worse than yours in any possible aspect, although yours is more consistent.

I love the fact that you're a hypocrite btw, stoel.

Laem

Smash Champion
Lmao OP + first 2 posts were mad funny xD

But srs
10 minutes.
'Nough said.

Jonas

Smash Champion
No, Brawl matches take long enough as they are :troll:
Maybe subtract 2-3 minutes from the timer instead.

Ok I'm sorry, I'm outta here :(

(To end on a serious note, I'd suggest looking at current matches in tournaments with 8 minute timers. Are there any persistent, recurring problems that would be solved by expanding the time limit? How many matches actually go to time? Just to make sure you're not trying to solve a problem you don't have. I don't really go to Brawl tournaments, but it didn't seem like a huge deal at BiB2).

Oh and it doesn't matter if US or Japan use it. This is what is called somebody else's problem.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I've seen a select few matches going to time even though there was never any intention from either player of having it get that far. Those select few matches would be more enjoyable if they had a normal ending, and I don't think anything is really ruined by adding 2 minutes.

Top Bottom