• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attention! Those who are having crap lag on wifi, This HELPED ME ALOT!

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/wii/gameSupportSSBB.jsp

Check that out, Be sure to forward your ports to 1 to 6553 and set it to UDP
And change your channels from 6 to 1 or 11 on your router.
Now I use a linksys so it's a bit different for those who don't have linksys

To Change your channels on a linksys you need to go to your gateway which is normally
http://198.162.1.1
Your password by default is always admin
Basicly
Username: admin
Login: admin

To change your channels click on the wireless tab
And you should be brought to channels by default it should be on 6
Change it to either 1 or 11 personnally I chose 1 it worked great.

And for forwarding your ports. go to "applications and gaming"

Make it look something like that.

then you are done! :D

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts/gameSSBB.jsp
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/onlineWirelessSlow.jsp
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/onlineUSBinterference.jsp
These links will help you configure your router.

The Main link will tell you all about this as will those three links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noVM8Tv7CBI
This is the result of doing this, By the way I won this match too :p

Error Code: 86420

When does this error code appear?

Occurs Immediately: If the error code occurs immediately after selecting "With Anyone" from the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, our servers may be experiencing a high amount of traffic. Please try to connect again later.

Occurs when looking for a match: If the error code occurs after the matchmaking process has started, it is likely an indication of NAT Negotiation problems. Try the connection again later. However, if the error still occurs regularly after matchmaking has been running, even for more than a minute, please read the following instructions:

Do you receive this error every time the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection attempts to find a match for you?
If you receive this error every time, please proceed to step #2 on this page.
If you receive this error only when playing a particular friend, then it is likely a problem with the friend's firewall settings on their connection. If possible, ask your friend to try troubleshooting on this page.
Note for users with Netgear brand routers: Your router may have a firewall that is preventing a successful connection with your opponents. For assistance with configuring the firewall, consult your owner's manual or contact Netgear directly. To disable the firewall*, locate the "WAN Setup" tab in the router settings and uncheck the box called, "enable SPI Firewall."

in order to solve this problem, you may consider adjusting your router's Port Forwarding settings*. Each router is unique, so consult the owner's manual for your router or contact the manufacturer for specific information on working with your router's ports. For your information:
If you are prompted for a device or profile name, you can enter anything you like (such as Wii, etc.).
The starting port to open is 1, the ending port to open is 65535 (or as high as the router will allow).
Protocols will need to be set to UDP only.
Set the IP address for the ports to forward to the same as the Wii's static IP address. If you don't know what the Wii's IP address is, the best way to determine it is by performing a manual setup:
How to manually configure the Wii's IP address:

The first thing you'll need to do is find out what IP address range you should be using. To do this:
Click the "Start" button in the lower left-hand corner of your computer.
Next, you will need to access the command prompt. To do this:
Windows XP users click "Run."
Windows Vista users click inside the search bar.
Type "cmd" into the box and press Enter.
Type "IPCONFIG/ALL" and press Enter. The IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS servers of the PC will be displayed.
The IP address you are going to assign to the Wii must be 10 digits higher than the PC's. (e.g., 192.168.1.100 becomes 192.168.1.110). The Wii and the PC must have different IP addresses. Make note of what IP address you will assign to the Wii. Enter in the exact same values for your Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, Primary DNS and Secondary DNS. They must be the same for your Wii console and for your PC.

Hope this helps!

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
God, I hate having next to no experience with ports and all that.

Thanks for posting this. I hope it helps me.

edit: This might just be me, but I find this really confusing.

-Ran

Smash Master
Check that out, Be sure to forward your ports to 1 to 6345 and set it to UDP
You're forwarding a TON of ports to the Wii. Good luck playing other games. =p

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
You're forwarding a TON of ports to the Wii. Good luck playing other games. =p
Well Nintendo suggested WAY more then that, they said like 65534 or something o-o

I cut the number off XD but I can play other games just fine too.

And as you see from that video it worked :p

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
^^^ there you go, I totally forgot about posting the portforward stuff :p

chic

Smash Ace
Type "IPCONFIG/ALL" and press Enter. The IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS servers of the PC will be displayed.
The IP address you are going to assign to the Wii must be 10 digits higher than the PC's. (e.g., 192.168.1.100 becomes 192.168.1.110). The Wii and the PC must have different IP addresses. Make note of what IP address you will assign to the Wii. Enter in the exact same values for your Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, Primary DNS and Secondary DNS. They must be the same for your Wii console and for your PC.

Hope this helps!

This last bit confuses me. Where do i enter the same values for the subnet mask, default gate way etc etc?

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Yeah the channel stuff is something DEFINITELY should do. My DS won't even connect unless I do it.
As for forwarding the ports, the amount you forward seems excessive. Does anyone know which ports the Wii actually requires?

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Changing your channel fixed your lag. The mapping/forwarding of your ports did nothing. You should have just disabled the firewall (specifically the SPI Firewall) on your Linksys router. You're pretty much breaking a bunch of other applications that will use UDP ports by forwarding them all

If you want to do it right, read this: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=150768

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
so wait ShortFuse, you're saying that the whole port forwarding thing will make no difference at all?
unless you have a cheap router (which the WRT54G isn't) packets will route correctly.
if packets are blocked by means of a firewall, you'll get the firewall error
by mapping all UDP ports, you're essentially disabling the firewall on those ports.
but the problem is, he'll break whatever other program uses UDP connection.
he could just disable the firewall and have the same effect.

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
unless you have a cheap router (which the WRT54G isn't) packets will route correctly.
if packets are blocked by means of a firewall, you'll get the firewall error
by mapping all UDP ports, you're essentially disabling the firewall on those ports.
but the problem is, he'll break whatever other program uses UDP connection.
he could just disable the firewall and have the same effect.
So would a Netgear WGT624 be considered cheap? You must excuse me because I really have no experience with routers and such.

If portforwarding doesn't make a difference, then is the problem really overcrowding?

Kryptic

Smash Cadet
Do I have to call Customer Support to change my channel?

(Linksys WRT54Gv2.2)
type 192.168.1.1 into your adress bar, then a security screen will come up. leave the username blank and type in the password "admin", the default linksys password if you havent changed it, and then click on the "wireless" tab, and there should be an option to change the channel.

Gesi1223

Smash Apprentice
Port forwarding does not exactly work. I have done this multiple times on my router(Belkin F5D8230-4 v2) and to no avail. Changing the channel from 6 to 1 only made the lag a tiny bit better, but it's still pretty awful.

I don't suggest wasting your time forwarding over 60000 ports to not even get much of anything out of it.

Metaphysik88

Smash Rookie
Ty for the post. This helped me connect to do team battles and random brawls. I kept getting a disconnect error before I forwarded my ports.

Hybred

Smash Rookie
Worked for me. Connected to my first random match after fixing my ports. I knew how to do this beforehand I just figured Nintendo would have a way around it like 360/PS3. /shrug

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Good **** dude. Already my internet is going faster (if that's supposed to happen.) I sure hope this helps my online.

Rocky

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
ROCK#450
Forwarding all those ports is ridiculous...

twizzlurr

Smash Rookie
ha, thank god somebody already figured out a solution to the online lag... it was unbearable!

thanks a lot for posting this... I'll try it out when I get home from class

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
I have the same Linksey Router, all I did was change the channel to 1 and it helped somewhat. I still get some lag, but is that from me or my opponents? Does forwarding the ports really make that much of a difference?

Ichida

Smash Ace
I have the same Linksey Router, all I did was change the channel to 1 and it helped somewhat. I still get some lag, but is that from me or my opponents? Does forwarding the ports really make that much of a difference?
Does opening a door make a difference in gaining access to a room? :p

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Well I just forwarded the amount of ports in the image to the Wii, and it worked great for me :p and changed the channel to 1

Top Bottom