• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attention! Those who are having crap lag on wifi, This HELPED ME ALOT!

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
I tried it, but I have no idea if I did it right or not. So i just cleared everything out. I guess i better get started on it.

Catfish_Mike

Smash Cadet
Just disable your router's firewall. I did that and I'm now having random lag-free matches, when I couldn't get into a match period before.

nopants

Smash Apprentice
But if you close the firewall, won't others have access to your internet?
Download a software firewall on your PC. The router's firewall is pretty inelegant and pretty much blocks anything that you don't have opened, so you have no idea if it's working or not. It's better to disable the router's firewall and get something reliable on your PC.

pockyD

Smash Legend
port forwarding probably improved the latency 4-5x for me

before, it was choppy, and at least a 2 second input delay

now it's pretty equivalent to playing on an hdtv (no choppiness, some input delay but definitely bearable at this stage of the game - won't be when the game becomes advanced :( but that's just a problem with playing online at all)

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
...Nothing's working for me. I've got a Netgear WGR614 v7, with the LAN adapter, channel set to 1 (tried both 1 and 11), the "Disable SPI Firewall" checkbox checked...and I still get error code 86420 99% of the times I try to connect to anyone's game. It logs onto WFC fine, but anytime I try a match, friends or otherwise, it gives me 86420 within 10 seconds.

Any help?

Axelguy4realz

Smash Cadet
um when I type in my username and password it says" 401 unauthorized. Authorization required" whats does that mean.
EDIT: im pretty sure its cause the password and username is worng. but meh.

SGX

Smash Journeyman
I could only imagine changing the channel would help if you have several other wireless networks in the area broadcasting on the same channel.

I changed my channel and forwarded my ports just for the hell of it, but I haven't seen a noticeable difference. It feels roughly around .35-.5 seconds of lag.

I haven't had any connection problems lately, but I fear that the input lag is a result of poor network coding in the game. (We've established that the game isn't hosted from central servers.)The only thing that could fix that would be a patch.

It's definitely possible for them to patch the netcode, but the question is will they bother?

shadydentist

Smash Lord
This may seem absurdly obvious, but make sure you're wii firmware is completely up to date.

I had a hell of a time messing with router settings before it occurred to me to check this.

Kryptic

Smash Cadet
um when I type in my username and password it says" 401 unauthorized. Authorization required" whats does that mean.
EDIT: im pretty sure its cause the password and username is worng. but meh.
yea your username and password is wrong...If you hold the reset button on your router for about 20 seconds then unplug it for 10 seconds, plug it back in and the username and password will be set back to default, just google ur router to find out default username and password, usually username is blank and password is admin

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Hmm.

I changed to channel one. Despite 3 people saying this helped them greatly, it did nothing for me.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Okay, since changing the channel didn't work, I've tried port forwarding, but can't figure it out.

I have no idea what brand of Linksys I have. The ip is 192.168.1.2. Interesting, NOTHING else has that .2

Even worse, I looked at everything that uses the network; it says the Wii uses 192.168.1.4. That's not 10 higher than .2

Anyway, the brand APPEARS to be BEL14HM1. This is the serial no., is this what I'm looking for?

I tried port forwarding at http://192.168.1.2, but it asks for "Inbound Ports" and "Private Ports." Also, they call these "Virtual servers."

Did I get some sort of strange brand? It's a pretty old router, so I dunno.

Glix

Smash Cadet
1 - 6000something.

Thats freakin crazy. I can't do that. I already have some ports in that range forwarded for torrenting and whatnot...

Glix

Smash Cadet
Okay, since changing the channel didn't work, I've tried port forwarding, but can't figure it out.

I have no idea what brand of Linksys I have. The ip is 192.168.1.2. Interesting, NOTHING else has that .2

Even worse, I looked at everything that uses the network; it says the Wii uses 192.168.1.4. That's not 10 higher than .2

Anyway, the brand APPEARS to be BEL14HM1. This is the serial no., is this what I'm looking for?

I tried port forwarding at http://192.168.1.2, but it asks for "Inbound Ports" and "Private Ports." Also, they call these "Virtual servers."

Did I get some sort of strange brand? It's a pretty old router, so I dunno.
The IP addy stuff you are talking about there should not matter an iota. Of course no devices besides the router have the .2, thats how it works.

Some router config pages have weird terminology, just find the one that lets you specify port #'s, UDP or TCP, and an IP addy.

Also, you could put your Wii in the DMZ, that might help a little as well.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
The IP addy stuff you are talking about there should not matter an iota. Of course no devices besides the router have the .2, thats how it works.

Some router config pages have weird terminology, just find the one that lets you specify port #'s, UDP or TCP, and an IP addy.

Also, you could put your Wii in the DMZ, that might help a little as well.
DMZ?

And the rest...I'm not sure what you're talking about. I have "Inbound Ports" and "Private Ports", they BOTH let me define a range of ports.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
1 - 6000something.

Thats freakin crazy. I can't do that. I already have some ports in that range forwarded for torrenting and whatnot...
Yeah, you don't have to map/forward any ports. You just have to OPEN them. When you forward the ports or use DMZ, you're just essentially just disabling the firewall on those ports.
You don't have to cripple your internet to play online.

Read this: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=150768

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Well this sucks. I changed the channel and messed with ports and lag didn't improve much. I'd love to move my router or my Wii, but I can't.

DrakeFreedom

Smash Cadet
This is my situation

I have a linksys model WRT54GS

I have yahoo sbc dsl i think they are incorporated with at&t i donno but it gets about 1mps - 2mps

I actually have my wii connected by a lan adapter for a wii because i thought that would improve my lag time and it did, but i still have this late reaction when i play. i can also connect wirelessly but i already have my lan adpater set up (my wii is actully only 5 yards away from my router) (im think serious about getting a good connection)

i typed all the right numbers on my wii settings- ip address, subnet mask, dns, etc....

I did everything that yall said -

i also read both threads by shortfuse and darkshadowrage
set my channel to 1 or 11
forwarded all my ports 1 , 6553, udp etc....

shut down my router security system (i still have my computer firewalls etc..)

I have the dantel lan adapter but i didnt use the wire it came with i bought a new one.
and i set my linksys settings for static ip

i seriously think i've done eveything i could, can ANYONE out there help me get a better connection?

if port fowarding doesn't work then is there something that i did wrong?

ANother question i have is there anyone that gets a game "with anyone" that does not have that annoying late button reactions? or is the best it will ever get? will nintendo or whoever does the wifi add more servers or do anything to improve lag time?

im sorry i have so much **** to ask/read but can shortfuse or darkshadowrage or anyone help me/help people with my situation?

DrAwesome

Smash Journeyman
Hey so this is a great thread and it should totaly be stickied. Im totaly bad with computers so the answer maybe in the thread and i dont know it but i am useing the nintendo usb wifi adapter and i dont know if that makes a difference. All this stuff about redirecting ports and such i dont really get so if someone can explain that would be great.

Save the Asians

Smash Cadet
Uh, I haven't messed with the settings at all, and whenever I try to get into the ip screen after I insert my Ip into my browser's search box, I type in admin and admin for the username and password, but it doesn't work. I've also tried to use 'blank' as a username and admin as a pw but that doesn't seem to work either. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Axelguy4realz

Smash Cadet
Is there something you have to do to activate the ports? Because as much as I try I can't figure it out. I've copied the pic exaclt I've changed the IP address so many times. nyone have any advice?

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Apparently no one reads ShortFuse's posts.

If turning off your router's firewall and just using a good computer firewall doesn't solve your problems, all of the port stuff is pointless.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Apparently no one reads ShortFuse's posts.

If turning off your router's firewall and just using a good computer firewall doesn't solve your problems, all of the port stuff is pointless.
Except actions speak louder than words and ever since forwarding my ports my connection has been as close to flawless as it could possibly be.

Global-Trance

Smash Rookie
This is what Nintendo's support line tells everyone and I don't think it's very sound advice.

The optimal set up for the Wii is manual IP and have set up in the router's DMZ.

Top Bottom