• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attacking with the Grab button

MysticKenji

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTkrq00HV-4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7l5bWVZeT4

For some reason, pressing the grab button while crouching will cause you do to a d-tilt, instead of a grab.

And then after that d-tilt, you can use the grab button for jabs and utilts and usmashes, as well as the regular shields/grabs (couldn't get ftilts to work).

If you have IASA frames on your dtilt, like Marth and ROB, then you can't do anything after the dtilt except grab/shield with *grab button* until those frames end. (As far as I can tell)

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
You can also use Z for aerials, and since your finger is right there, land into a grab. If you are playing as or against a character that can generate items, you can learn tricks with the items such as dropping (as opposed to throwing downwards) by using Z to drop, the cstick to smash throw, and A to regular throw. This is all pretty common knowledge, but is very useful.

Adapt

Smash Lord
if you input a grab too soon after a jab you get the second hit of the jab combo
I'm pretty sure it is because the grab button just simulated pressing shield+A (like the C-stick simulates smash-direction + A)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You can also use Z for aerials, and since your finger is right there, land into a grab. If you are playing as or against a character that can generate items, you can learn tricks with the items such as dropping (as opposed to throwing downwards) by using Z to drop, the cstick to smash throw, and A to regular throw. This is all pretty common knowledge, but is very useful.
Actually, Z does an air-dodge in Brawl if you aren't using a tether-grab character. Which kind of sucks for the people who liked using Z for aerials in Melee.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Unless this can improve someone's game, shouldn't this go in the general forum? And i don't see how it can. But i could be wrong, is there a use for this?

PKJesse

Smash Cadet
I've never touched the Z-button before.

But I'll try it, it seems useful.

Especially for characters with strong d-tilts.

I.iZ.nO.1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iizno1
3DS FC
1349-7897-6883
I would think this would be common knowledge. If you think about it, how do you grab without the z-button? You shield and attack, thus the z button is ultimatley a combination of the two. Thus if you are holding down it will register as you pressing attack, thus a d-tilt attack. And in the air when you press it and it registers as an airdodge that is because it is register the shield part of the "Z combination"

Crow!

Smash Lord
Check the chart in my sig - it's there.

Frankly, knowing what all the grab button can do is useful mainly so you can AVOID inputting those actions when what you really want to do is grab. You want to avoid pressing the grab button while crouching or standing up, and you should know how it interacts with dashing, air dodges, and buffering (let go of grab before you regain control of your character to buffer the grab).

Grab can do lots of things. Let's go ahead an list them. Here are the boring ones:
Grab
Running Grab
Pivot Grab
Mash opponent's face while grabbing
Shield (often annoyingly happens when trying to buffer a grab)
Throw Item (any direction, in midair can drop)
Air Dodge or Zair
Get up from ground/ledge attack
Snap to ledge from tether
Backward Roll if double reverse input while pivoting
Other dodges (if you count tapping a direction while shielding by holding grab)
Tech

And the more intersting things:
Jab (if already started doing jab combo)
Up Smash ("Boost Smash" or DAC)
Down Tilt
Down Smash (if input while standing up from a crouch)
Jab again (if standing up from a crouch)
Up Smash again (if input while standing up from a crouch or while jumping)
Cancel middle of Air dodge and do a Zair
Cancel start of air dodge and throw item or do a Zair
Glide attack (MK, Pit, Charizard)

So what's NOT on this list? I count only these:
Motion (jump, crouch, walk, run)
Forward Tilt
Forward Smash
Up Tilt
B-Attacks
Non-attack options from the ledge or ground
Start/Cancel Gliding

Pretty much all other actions can, at one point or another, be done with the Grab button.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Uh... you guys DO know that this topic started, oh, in the June of last year? >___>;

Top Bottom