• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, just wanted to leave this here, as I had just recently made it. I don't know if I've posted my old version of it that I made a while ago, but I felt the need to remake it as I just really hated how it turned out in retrospect.

Doomguy Moveset.jpg

Here's a link to it elsewhere, so that Its easier to read, since Smashboards compresses images to hell and back lol: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/50120517371/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, just wanted to leave this here, as I had just recently made it. I don't know if I've posted my old version of it that I made a while ago, but I felt the need to remake it as I just really hated how it turned out in retrospect.

View attachment 278746

Here's a link to it elsewhere, so that Its easier to read, since Smashboards compresses images to hell and back lol: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/with/49992000788/
Aye, I remember seeing this one. I think it would work well when paired with this:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

GolisoPower

Smash Master
thoughts on his chances rn? some are saying hes deconfirmed by the interview
I'd say his chances are still a bit strong. From most of the Doom library on Switch to the Vault Boy costume, there are a few big points in his favor.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean, we got a Vault Boy costume, and his already-existing popularity during the choosing of the pass, paired with his iconic status and influence, means he has a pretty good shot. Still, the Dragonborn gives him some competition, don't forget.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I mean, we got a Vault Boy costume, and his already-existing popularity during the choosing of the pass, paired with his iconic status and influence, means he has a pretty good shot. Still, the Dragonborn gives him some competition, don't forget.
Given that Bethesda's been in the gutter regarding its two big franchises (Elder Scrolls and Fallout) and Todd Howard being a games industry laughing stock, I don't think they'd be letting off on using Doom and Id Software as a reputational crutch anytime soon, especially when it comes to the developer's first proper fighting foray into Smash.

As a side, I did present an argument awhile showing how Dovahkiin would be quite the underwhelming representation of the series, to the dissatisfaction of Dragonborn vouchers especially: https://smashboards.com/threads/at-...om-slayer-thread.446546/page-52#post-23574884

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Given that Bethesda's been in the gutter regarding its two big franchises (Elder Scrolls and Fallout) and Todd Howard being a games industry laughing stock, I don't think they'd be letting off on using Doom and Id Software as a reputational crutch anytime soon, especially when it comes to the developer's first proper fighting foray into Smash.

As a side, I did present an argument awhile showing how Dovahkiin would be quite the underwhelming representation of the series, to the dissatisfaction of Dragonborn vouchers especially: https://smashboards.com/threads/at-...om-slayer-thread.446546/page-52#post-23574884
I dunno, man. I'm pretty sure something could be spun out of the Dragonborn that's still loyal to his series. Besides, we've already got avatars like Byleth and Robin who take the basic route and don't represent all the options. I'm pretty sure Joker and Bayonetta, among others, have a lot of options that didn't get into Smash. If we got someone like Dante, he wouldn't get all his Devil Arms. I don't think a series would be passed over because "We can't cram every little thing into their moveset, too bad!" A focus point would be chosen out of all the possible options. Compromises will have to be made, but that's a part of Smash we just have to live with.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So there’s a new Direct Mini coming tomorrow. It’s talking about previously announced games. Doom Eternal release date will finally be announced looks like.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I can almost guarantee we'll see the Eternal release date tomorrow. Hopefully its not too far out. The Switch certainly needs all the games it can get right now.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Passing by to mention that there will be a mini direct. And if what it's been said it's true then we might get news of DOOM ETERNAL, so that's a good thing.

:bowser:.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's worth noting that the Direct is (according to the Japanese announcement) only going to be about ten minutes long. I'm expecting the Doom Eternal release date for the Switch to be announced (since that was stated to be coming soon), but not much else that I'll be interested in.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why the doom release date wasn't shown here today. How could this port take THAT long to release? it was supposed to be a unanimous release originally, for Christ sake...

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Welp. There was nothing but as you mentioned, Quake Con Is still a thing.

When is that going to be? Maybe they can do their announcements online like anything else?

GolisoPower

Smash Master

When is that going to be? Maybe they can do their announcements online like anything else?

QuakeCon is still being held, but as a free online event from August 6th-August 9th this year. Regardless, we should see some announcements there.

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
I think this is a reasonable answer. Probably QuakeCon.

QuakeCon is still being held, but as a free online event from August 6th-August 9th this year. Regardless, we should see some announcements there.
lets hope so doombros... I had honestly forgotten about DOOM Eternal, it's been so long since the other versions came out...

Last edited:

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
id is probably having some struggles working at home due to COVID, so expect a lot of stuff to be revealed at Quakecon, obviously.
Meanwhile, DBThanatos announced he's working on a Doom Eternal themed mod for classic Doom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slRRfm7-IMU so if that comes out sooner, maybe it could fill the hole left in most people waiting for the campaign DLC's i guess.
Also, going back to the classic Doomguy armor, i kinda go with the ingame/sprites version of the cover box art because:
* It was probably created first before the cover art, during development.
* Don Ivan Punchatz may or may not be as familiar with the designs in the game as someone like Adrian Carmack or even his son Gregor.
* It's the one that shows up IN the game, during gameplay.
I guess the cover art in some ways makes sense because it shows more detail/isn't limited by pixels and it's what you see first before playing the game.
The damaged armor and exposed abs (With scars) also are a neat touch and might add more character to Doomguy (Specially fitting alongside his damaged/bloody face, although this is Smash we're talking).
Meanwhile, with the Archvile, the sketch of his face shows up in Doom 1 because a "medic" class demon was conceptualized back then and his model was made for sprites, then if you look at his head in the sprites, you can see that someone added some tubes to his face.
I think even Romero confirmed it was his face, which means his model that Gregor made wasn't meant to be his final design.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Meanwhile, DBThanatos announced he's working on a Doom Eternal themed mod for classic Doom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slRRfm7-IMU so if that comes out sooner, maybe it could fill the hole left in most people waiting for the campaign DLC's i guess.
I've seen it. A pretty ambitious project, but you're probably better off waiting for Embers of Armageddon 2/Eternal.
Kar En Tuk (DBTs mod) is made on Zandronum to allow for multiplayer compatibility, and thus a lot of features such as enemy weakpoints and potentially the Meathook won't be making the final cut.
Outside of those changes, DBT will be making a substantial amount of changes due to his (occasionally flawed) personal preferences, so expect it to play more like 2016 with a Eternal coat of paint slapped on it.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Nice!

I thought it was more far off in the future, not this close. Well, hopefully we find out about a release date then.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Well, this is awkward.

As an OG Halo fan, today's presentation has made a Doomguy supporter of me.

Long live id, last hope of the FPS.

volbound1700

Smash Master
It depends. It is still too early. If Nintendo continues on the first party selections, his chances are done. I am just concerned that Nintendo is looking at other third parties over Doomguy and we will run out of character spaces.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
As of now, I don’t think Halo Infinite will likely outdo Doom Eternal for me, but will be a curious investment nonetheless, however it ends up holding up.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
While it's only tangentially related to Smash, though I might share this art I commissioned:
"... from the depths of overlain dimensions, the Mother God plucked one bright soul from the clutches of the Mauve Marauder...

And henceforth, the last light of the Chozo was rechristened as Aran - Right Hand of the Khan, Lance of the Maykrs and the Final Doom of the Great Slayer."

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
So.... is Doomguy still deconfirmed (that interview about Marty Stratton) or is it just NDA talk?

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
So.... is Doomguy still deconfirmed (that interview about Marty Stratton) or is it just NDA talk?
I mean, "No" is kinda the only answer one can give regarding that question.

If Doomguy's not in Smash, he'd just tell the truth and say no, but if Doomguy IS in Smash, then he obviously won't say "Yup, he's in Fighter's Pass 2, ya sure got me" (plus NDA stuff). He can't even try to give a non-answer either, because saying something along the lines of "I neither confirm nor deny" is pretty much proof you're involved with Smash in some way or another.

Admittedly, Stratton's response was quite lengthy, but either way I don't think that interview deconfirms (or confirms) Doomguy much.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
All of the Doom games on the Switch are on sale (along with the Wolfenstein games and Skyrim) because of QuakeCon.

Here's hoping we get a Switch release date for Doom Eternal there. (I'd like for it to be in September or October)

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
I mean, "No" is kinda the only answer one can give regarding that question.

If Doomguy's not in Smash, he'd just tell the truth and say no, but if Doomguy IS in Smash, then he obviously won't say "Yup, he's in Fighter's Pass 2, ya sure got me" (plus NDA stuff). He can't even try to give a non-answer either, because saying something along the lines of "I neither confirm nor deny" is pretty much proof you're involved with Smash in some way or another.

Admittedly, Stratton's response was quite lengthy, but either way I don't think that interview deconfirms (or confirms) Doomguy much.
That's true, but a short denial would suffice without going into details. We've seen many other devs deconfirming stuff (and it turned out to be true) so its probably safer to assume he's not? If its true at least get the disappointment out of the way first, if he's lying then you get a nice surprise.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
In regards to the interview, I wouldn't say he's fully deconfirmed (it's only a complete deconfirmation if Bethesda gets another character or Doom Slayer comes in as a Mii costume), but that interview is a massive blow to his chances.

Granted, I'm a bit biased as a massive Dragonborn supporter, but in the interview the devil is in the sheer amount of detail Marty gave in regards to Nintendo. Most NDA speak is usually short and sweet, to move on to the next question/subject as quick as possible. What Marty said doesn't seem NDA-friendly at all. Furthermore, according to Sakurai's statements, Nintendo goes to the company and petitions for the character on their own initiation, and Marty stated himself that Nintendo never contacted them about Smash. And more than likely he and the other DOOM developers would have some kind of involvement if Doom Slayer was going to be a full-on character (as opposed to something simple like a Mii Costume, where the Smash devs are just given a reference and the company signs off on it once it is done).

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering about how much of id in general can Doomguy represent and i thought of a victory animation being that part in Wolfenstein 3D where BJ runs to the camera, jumps with his fists in the air and screams "YEAH!", after he defeats either Hans or Gretel Grosse.
Also, speaking of Doom in Japan, i saw this https://youtu.be/Fd4EiWW_yKg?t=1020 (17:00 if timecode fails).
DBThanatos also released two videos about some enemies in his Kar En Tuk mod and the mod inspired someone to try and finish up some sprites they were making https://twitter.com/CreeperOfSteam/status/1283994966876971009
Also, the national videogame museum released the Wad based on them or something.
Anyway, someone on the Doom subreddit called tinman888 made some reinterpretations of classic/64 Doom designs as skins for Eternal and some look pretty good (He recently did the BFG).

Apparently, like one or two channels that once hosted Doom Eternal music are gone or just deleted those videos?
This is kind of worrying, since they're never going to make a proper release of the OST (Plus, it reminds me of terrible/unfair copyright policies with holes in them and how something like Internet Archive was recently on thin ice over some dumb things).
Also, here's an obscure piece of Doom merchandise being a snowboard with unique artwork.
https://static.doomworld.com/monthl...doom.jpg.1d095d9c1500b093541edf5b378a7c9f.jpg
Trying to see other news: The SNES Doom port's source code was also released.
There's this GZDoom based mapset that's based around E1M1 being reinterpretated https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/115093-e1m1-multiverse-release-24/
Oh and has anyone seen this Doom Eternal fan film?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMhf-EYI5E

Anyway, i hope something cool comes out of Quakecon.
Some people say Doom Eternal's post launch support could have been a lot better but i think this game just came in an unfortunate time of a deadly pandmic and the developers already crunched hard while working on the game.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
YOOOO new campaign announced for DOOM Eternal?!?!?! Watching QuakeCon right now.
I just went and saw the teaser for the Ancient Gods.

Was that the Father we just heard? Please don't tell me we're gonna be fighting VEGA, I don't wanna kill him. :(

EDIT SO I DON'T GET A DOUBLE-POST WARNING: Something tells me we're gonna run into some primordial god stuff there based on the name of the expansion. Like, flat-out Lovecraftian gods more freaky than the Maykrs or something.

Last edited:

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Damn, I was hoping we'd get the full reveal during QuakeCon itself. Looking at the schedule it's filled with Fallout 76 stuff, probably not a lot new for Doom outside Hugo and Marty's panel in a few hours. A good chance we won't get the Switch release date here either.

Something tells me we're gonna run into some primordial god stuff there based on the name of the expansion. Like, flat-out Lovecraftian gods more freaky than the Maykrs or something.
Time for another Quake crossover.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
In regards to the interview, I wouldn't say he's fully deconfirmed (it's only a complete deconfirmation if Bethesda gets another character or Doom Slayer comes in as a Mii costume), but that interview is a massive blow to his chances.

Granted, I'm a bit biased as a massive Dragonborn supporter, but in the interview the devil is in the sheer amount of detail Marty gave in regards to Nintendo. Most NDA speak is usually short and sweet, to move on to the next question/subject as quick as possible. What Marty said doesn't seem NDA-friendly at all. Furthermore, according to Sakurai's statements, Nintendo goes to the company and petitions for the character on their own initiation, and Marty stated himself that Nintendo never contacted them about Smash. And more than likely he and the other DOOM developers would have some kind of involvement if Doom Slayer was going to be a full-on character (as opposed to something simple like a Mii Costume, where the Smash devs are just given a reference and the company signs off on it once it is done).
I think iD would be aware of the mii costume too. It’s part of the reason why I think Cacomallow is fake.

I just went and saw the teaser for the Ancient Gods.

Was that the Father we just heard? Please don't tell me we're gonna be fighting VEGA, I don't wanna kill him. :(

EDIT SO I DON'T GET A DOUBLE-POST WARNING: Something tells me we're gonna run into some primordial god stuff there based on the name of the expansion. Like, flat-out Lovecraftian gods more freaky than the Maykrs or something.
I think Vega is a good guy in this. He’s just asking the Slayer for help.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
YOOOO new campaign announced for DOOM Eternal?!?!?! Watching QuakeCon right now.
So Doomguy's shooting up deities now? Hope he's got Kirby on speed dial. Wouldn't want the little guy to miss out on a feast.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

I didn't need to think of the potential of fighting an Archvile and Summoner at the same time, but here we are.

I'm glad the Maykr angels design didn't go to complete waste, thought it was a shame they were only in cutscenes for the base game.

Also worth noting that Hugo/Marty confirmed that they're still working on the promised updates, such as Invasion and a Ranked version of Battle Mode. I don't mind waiting until the 27th, but my curiosity for who is going to be handling the music now is at an all time high. Not helped much by the release date for the Switch version still eluding us.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I don't mind waiting until the 27th, but my curiosity for who is going to be handling the music now is at an all time high.
I'd personally want it to be Andrew Hulshult. That guy's made some killer Doom remixes, and I think he made a few tracks in Quake Champions afaik.

Top Bottom