• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

tactical_meme

Smash Rookie
A little bit of a side note regarding the Doom Eternal VGA trailer:

Seems that the fandom is butting heads over the Slayer's newly-tinted visor. What are your thoughts on the whole debacle?

I personally liked how we were given the face of the Slayer; Id did a good job recreating the old HUD face and you can really see the subtle emotions of what was previously a mindless killing machine. An option to toggle the visor's opacity I feel would be a good compromise, however.
I prefer being able to see his face, makes him seem more human than emotionless killing machine.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well on one hand sabi and verge are probably gonna lose quite a bit of trust after this despite not exactly getting anything wrong

But on the other maybe no FP5 reveal at Vga is another clue if it was a worldwide loved or western character they would have easily snuck in the FP5 trailer but they didn’t so maybe are FP5 is another eastern loved character which could be another clue to kos-mos as fp5

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Well... I don't see this hurting our guy's chances... If the next event aimed for Japanese people happen to have a Western oriented character, that could happen.

Isn't Joker Eastern oriented, but shown on the VGA? The reverse can perfectly happen. Actually, the East has been spoiled too much with characters they like, so why not giving them a legacy character that they barely know, but shouldn't leave aside or be forgotten about? Sakurai can perfectly explain the reason why Doomguy is a good choice for Smash and at the same time, give Japanese people an history lesson in videogames.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Well on one hand sabi and verge are probably gonna lose quite a bit of trust after this despite not exactly getting anything wrong

But on the other maybe no FP5 reveal at Vga is another clue if it was a worldwide loved or western character they would have easily snuck in the FP5 trailer but they didn’t so maybe are FP5 is another eastern loved character which could be another clue to kos-mos as fp5
On that topic, I once heard there was some leak saying KOS-MOS was 5 while Doomguy was 6.

Gonna see if it can be dug up for a quick laugh.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Have I been added to the support list? Please do so if it hasn’t been done already

Everything that pointed to her at the VGAs fell apart, and apparently the copyright strike was a false flag.

She has almost nothing to her favor now, especially with Verges source saying no Namco.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Have I been added to the support list? Please do so if it hasn’t been done already

Everything that pointed to her at the VGAs fell apart, and apparently the copyright strike was a false flag.

She has almost nothing to her favor now, especially with Verges source saying no Namco.
I always had my doubts over Kosmos honestly. It felt like an odd choice since Rex couldnt get in, and there’s a lot more going for Lloyd to show up eventually

Edit: I’d also like to get added to the support list please

Last edited:

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Well... I don't see this hurting our guy's chances... If the next event aimed for Japanese people happen to have a Western oriented character, that could happen.

Isn't Joker Eastern oriented, but shown on the VGA? The reverse can perfectly happen. Actually, the East has been spoiled too much with characters they like, so why not giving them a legacy character that they barely know, but shouldn't leave aside or be forgotten about? Sakurai can perfectly explain the reason why Doomguy is a good choice for Smash and at the same time, give Japanese people an history lesson in videogames.
Oh man if he did for Doom what he did with King of Fighters I'd lose my ****.

dolke

Smash Cadet
Oh man if he did for Doom what he did with King of Fighters I'd lose my ****.
I really doubt we're ever gonna see Sakurai fanboy as hard as he did for King of Fighters, but we already know he has a lot of respect for the franchise.

dolke

Smash Cadet
Huh. Looks like the Geno thread has decided we're going to see a non-doomguy bethesda rep as well as geno soon. At least that's what they've deduced from fatman's comments. Personally, I don't think Fatman has any sources, but it's definitely gonna be exciting to see how the next couple fighters play out.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Huh. Looks like the Geno thread has decided we're going to see a non-doomguy bethesda rep as well as geno soon. At least that's what they've deduced from fatman's comments. Personally, I don't think Fatman has any sources, but it's definitely gonna be exciting to see how the next couple fighters play out.
Much less decided and more speculating the possibility from Fatmans comments. Trust me, some of us don't exactly like that over Doom Slayer. And I do think Fatman has sources, as he has showcased info he has gotten in the past.

dolke

Smash Cadet
Much less decided and more speculating the possibility from Fatmans comments. Trust me, some of us don't exactly like that over Doom Slayer. And I do think Fatman has sources, as he has showcased info he has gotten in the past.
Ah. My bad then. I thought he was just a speculator whose theories people latched onto. Why exactly are people thinking a bethesda rep that's not doomguy then?

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Yeah, I do not like that whole belief that there's going to be another Bethesda rep and not Doom Slayer, besides the fact that the CacoMallow's leak implies a rep but not particularly our hellish boy.

I mean. It makes SOME sense to have other Bethesda properties as Mii Costumes alongside the newcomer but to have the Dragonborn instead of the more iconic Doomguy/Doom Slayer...

Doesn't sit well with me. Skyrim is alright, and Dragonborn could be an interesting character but I'll rather have Doom being represented in Smash.

Those are my 0.02$.

:bowser:.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ah. My bad then. I thought he was just a speculator whose theories people latched onto. Why exactly are people thinking a bethesda rep that's not doomguy then?
Well he is a speculator, it's just that he has insider connections. HE just withholds on stuff until he is given the go ahead by the people giving him the info, and even then it's rather limited. All he really gave is that he thinks the 5th fighter will be rather controversial and frustrate a specific fanbase within Smash, later stating it was western and third party. I think you can probably guess how we immediately though of Doom Slayer getting beaten out by another Bethesda rep, especially after the Geno thread got new hard rules about only talking about things that in some way relate to Geno(An Cacomallow is Geno related). Can't say I can recall the full details all together, but that's about it.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Don’t even understand why people are still taking him seriously even though he was wrong about the VGAs. He hasn’t gotten anything right. He’ll most likely end up being wrong about this too, but for some reason people are still going to believe him.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Not sure what’s happening

Geno thread seems to be going doomslayer sacrificed himself to get geno in

It like they think the cacodemon costume leak seems to be implying doomslayer will be mii outfit too

And also because of the stupid dovahkin 4chan rumor

EDIT: ooh fatman Sources potentially saying it’s implying dovahkiin is FP5 not the 4chan leak

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I think everyone's just high on speculation fumes after sitting through 4 hours of VGAs where cheese pizza 5 was a no-show. I really don't think CP5 is Dovahkin, and reaching out even further towards id Software for measly mii costumes seems like a stretch when these things are practically afterthoughts.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Not sure what’s happening

Geno thread seems to be going doomslayer sacrificed himself to get geno in

It like they think the cacodemon costume leak seems to be implying doomslayer will be mii outfit too

And also because of the stupid dovahkin 4chan rumor
The 4chan rumor has nothing to do with it. IT's just the rumors Fatman have amassed recently that he is allowed to share a bit on that has cast some doubt. Could be wrong, which is something Fatman has always said is the case with stuff like this, but he is just sharing what he heard.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The 4chan rumor has nothing to do with it. IT's just the rumors Fatman have amassed recently that he is allowed to share a bit on that has cast some doubt. Could be wrong, which is something Fatman has always said is the case with stuff like this, but he is just sharing what he heard.
Problem though

Dovahkiin is alive on the two deconfirmed list (if those are even still creditable)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Problem though

Dovahkiin is alive on the two deconfirmed list (if those are even still creditable)
That is true, though the Geno thread has generally tried avoided that topic due to the new rules in the thread. I do think it was a subconscious reason why Dovahkiin was discussed, as he is not out for fighter 5.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I will say this I wouldn’t necessary rule out doomguy if dovahkiin infact happens

But it would make sense to throw cacodemon costume for a Bethesda focused pack if any rep from that company

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I will say this I wouldn’t necessary rule out doomguy if dovahkiin infact happens

But it would make sense to throw cacodemon costume for a Bethesda focused pack if any rep from that company
Looms does bring a up a good point that they would have to still go through ID software for Doom costumes. ID isn’t a part of Bethesda but they’re both owned by Zenimax.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Actually you know what fatman is far from reliable so probably not to much worry

The only character we have to worry about is the chief from zell (yes aware it’s probably just the collection but Chief could easily be revealed along with the collection) and he would hurt doomguy far far less than dovahkiin would

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman

Seems that the fandom is butting heads over the Slayer's newly-tinted visor. What are your thoughts on the whole debacle?

I personally liked how we were given the face of the Slayer; Id did a good job recreating the old HUD face and you can really see the subtle emotions of what was previously a mindless killing machine. An option to toggle the visor's opacity I feel would be a good compromise, however.
I've been hoping they would darken the tint on that visor, don't really like being able to see his face.

I like seeing him as more of a force of nature then a man (like a slasher villain). If it were up to me I would only have a vague outline of his face visible, enough you can tell there is a guy in there but you still can't see his expressions.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Sabi's significantly more reliable sources said that the cacodemon and mallow costume leak was probably not real because they wouldn't be coming with character 5.
That contradicts what fatman is saying.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Sabi's significantly more reliable sources said that the cacodemon and mallow costume leak was probably not real because they wouldn't be coming with character 5.
And, the image itself could also be a hack.

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
Sabi came to that conclusion, not the source.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
That...doesn't make sense to me. I don't mean to get into specifics and all, but saying that those Mii Costumes are fake just because neither Doom Slayer nor Geno are Fighter #5 is like saying a salmon will never go up a waterfall because a bird can just fly over it...as esoteric and stupid as that comparison sounds.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I'm more or less completely done with listening to what leakers have to say. There's no direction anymore, they're just a nuisance at this point. They've grown big heads yet they have no sharable intel.

dolke

Smash Cadet
I mean if mii costume leak was real, and the leakers had access to the mii costumes from that repository build, why show the cacodemon hat as opposed to a doomslayer costume or something?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I mean if mii costume leak was real, and the leakers had access to the mii costumes from that repository build, why show the cacodemon hat as opposed to a doomslayer costume or something?
Maybe because the Cacodemon is one of the most recognizable demons in the series, up there with the likes of the Cyberdemon and others. I mean, who wouldn't remember a horned meatball cyclops?

EDIT: Also, maybe because we'd take a Doom Slayer Mii Costume as a sign of deconfirmation or something.

Last edited:

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
The source said that whoever FP5 was, the costumes had nothing to do with them if they were real.
Exactly, that is why Sabi thinks the mii costume leaks are fake, not because the source said so, but because of it not being related to fp5 doesn’t make sense to Sabi

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
You know... This might sound crazy, given the many times we are left wondering who FP5 is...

But I believe the next reveal will contain not 1 or 2, but 3 characters...

Maybe the first two characters will be revealed right after the other, like Kencineroar... 1 playable, with an upcoming demo, the other is a teaser of the standalone DLC's, or even a playable, having a playable demo a month or so later.

The third character is revealed almost at the end of the Direct, in development.

(Not a leak, but a theory)

Last edited:

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Dovahkiin possibly being fighter 5 feels really off to me, i'm just not feeling it. Of course I could be wrong, but i'll make this interesting regardless. I'll bet my account on it, if Dovahkiin really is fighter 5 then I give my full consent to have a moderator ban my account. I won't really have anything to do on this website if Doomguy gets officially deconfirmed anyway. I know Dovahkiin getting in wouldn't technically be a deconfirmation, but it might as well be.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
They never said anything about the CacoMallow post most likely not real, they only said that if it ius real, it's not FP5.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I can't take anything Fatman says too seriously. I haven't followed him closely but I don't believe there's much substance to his vague rumour spinning. It gets entertained because of the pro-Geno angle but even the self-described insiders don't know a whole lot let alone somebody tangentially related to them.

Even if Dovahkiin is added, I won't say it's over unless Doom related content is released with him during his showcase. My own speculation is that Dovahkiin has a better shot at FP5 because of the timing, but Doomguy has a better shot beyond that due to the surge in interest. However the no-show at TGA has me believing it's somebody more obscure.

Top Bottom