• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I wouldn't say Bethesda as a whole, considering... things, but the Doom team is clearly the gem of the company.
Well, I was disappointed by commander keen.

That intro was late 90’s early 2000’s Saturday morning cartoon GODLIKE.....
... for a mobile game looked like it played kinda like crap..

But I was pretty impressed by the rest. And of course Doom stole the show for me personally.

I know PC gamers have had this for years, but... a Doom level maker would be boss on consoles.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
We do. It’s called SnapMap in Doom 2016, tho the mode was removed in the Switch version sadly due to space limitations, but if it’s back in Eternal, can see the level maker being improved.

But yeah, all that stuff with the angels and new weapons was mind-blowing.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
It probably won’t happen, but what if DoomGuy gets revealed at QuakeCon? There has to be more Doom related stuff there besides just more gameplay/demos of Eternal.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If Joker is the son, Bayonetta is the mother, Doom Guy is the father!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Ah. Bummer, but tbh it was kind of a niche level creator mode that rarely had interesting maps made by the community after awhile, though always saw untapped potential for it, but I'll take sacrificing it if it means more post-launch content for both campaign and multiplayer.
Don't forget the plethora of Mods that'll come

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It looks liked Bethesda or Id learned their lesson as far as Doom's boxart goes. This time, both the regular and collector's edition boxarts look pretty cool!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It looks liked Bethesda or Id learned their lesson as far as Doom's boxart goes. This time, both the regular and collector's edition boxarts look pretty cool!

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Cool, but I am nervous about that helmet, considering what happened when it came to items from Fallout 76.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
It probably won’t happen, but what if DoomGuy gets revealed at QuakeCon? There has to be more Doom related stuff there besides just more gameplay/demos of Eternal.
If anywhere, it would have to be at the Game Awards. Come to think of it, that and Doom Eternal's launch date aren't that far apart from eachother...

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Welp, since the moment of truth is just twelve hours away now, I thought I'd share how I'd do a Doom Slayer reveal. It's waaay to wordy to be an actual trailer but I tried to only imply Doom Slayers violence without actively showing it, so here we go. Also I barely know anything about Bayonetta aside from what I read online so feel free to chew me out for inaccurate info or OOC behavior.

--------------------------

[Scene starts with Bayonetta and many of the younger Smashers in the middle of a conversation enjoying each others company, [[I like to think she'd have a soft spot for the kids considering her treatment of Cereza]] Lucas looks scared in response to something Bayonetta said prior to start of scene.]

Lucas: So if you fall in battle you're trapped with demons forever!? That's so scary!

[Bayonetta gives off a posh laugh with a smug look]

Bayonetta: Oh no, I've tangled with demons before, I can more than handle those brutes. [Bayonetta's eyes glance to the side as her expression changes to a more somber one] They aren't what scare me down there.

[Scene changes to hell, as various demons charge towards a threat just out of screen]

Baynoetta: There's something else down there besides demons, something so much worse.

[No gore shown but as soon as the demons leave the frame gunshots followed by pained demonic screams are heard]

Bayonetta: Nobody knows it's story. It might have been a man once, but now...

[Camera pans to a wall where Doom Slayer and an unfortunate demon's shadows are illuminated, as they depict Doom Slayer performing a Glory Kill on it, complete with fleshy crunching noises]

Bayonetta: It is pure hatred and rage.

[Scene changes back to the Smashers, the younger ones are visibly disturbed, Lucas in particular is shaking]

Lucas: That's terrifying!

[Bayonetta affectionately pats his head and gives him a warm smile.]

Bayonetta: It's OK. I can comfortably say that I see no reason why it would ever come here. You have nothing to worry about.

[Scene changes to a laboratory with a fogged up containment glass unit tube in the center. Doom Slayer walks into frame from behind the camera towards the glass.]

Automated System: Please present security card-

[Doom Slayer immediately smashes the glass with his fist and grabs an object from the tube. Camera then switches to Doom Slayer's visor as the object starts to reveal itself in the visor's reflection as a Smash invitation. Camera then pans out to reveal Doom Slayer in his full glory, shotgun in one hand, Smash invitation in the other as At Doom's Gate plays.]

DOOM SLAYER TEARS INTO THE COMPETITION!

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Welp, since the moment of truth is just twelve hours away now, I thought I'd share how I'd do a Doom Slayer reveal. It's waaay to wordy to be an actual trailer but I tried to only imply Doom Slayers violence without actively showing it, so here we go. Also I barely know anything about Bayonetta aside from what I read online so feel free to chew me out for inaccurate info or OOC behavior.

--------------------------

[Scene starts with Bayonetta and many of the younger Smashers in the middle of a conversation enjoying each others company, [[I like to think she'd have a soft spot for the kids considering her treatment of Cereza]] Lucas looks scared in response to something Bayonetta said prior to start of scene.]

Lucas: So if you fall in battle you're trapped with demons forever!? That's so scary!

[Bayonetta gives off a posh laugh with a smug look]

Bayonetta: Oh no, I've tangled with demons before, I can more than handle those brutes. [Bayonetta's eyes glance to the side as her expression changes to a more somber one] They aren't what scare me down there.

[Scene changes to hell, as various demons charge towards a threat just out of screen]

Baynoetta: There's something else down there besides demons, something so much worse.

[No gore shown but as soon as the demons leave the frame gunshots followed by pained demonic screams are heard]

Bayonetta: Nobody knows it's story. It might have been a man once, but now...

[Camera pans to a wall where Doom Slayer and an unfortunate demon's shadows are illuminated, as they depict Doom Slayer performing a Glory Kill on it, complete with fleshy crunching noises]

Bayonetta: It is pure hatred and rage.

[Scene changes back to the Smashers, the younger ones are visibly disturbed, Lucas in particular is shaking]

Lucas: That's terrifying!

[Bayonetta affectionately pats his head and gives him a warm smile.]

Bayonetta: It's OK. I can comfortably say that I see no reason why it would ever come here. You have nothing to worry about.

[Scene changes to a laboratory with a fogged up containment glass unit tube in the center. Doom Slayer walks into frame from behind the camera towards the glass.]

Automated System: Please present security card-

[Doom Slayer immediately smashes the glass with his fist and grabs an object from the tube. Camera then switches to Doom Slayer's visor as the object starts to reveal itself in the visor's reflection as a Smash invitation. Camera then pans out to reveal Doom Slayer in his full glory, shotgun in one hand, Smash invitation in the other as At Doom's Gate plays.]

DOOM SLAYER TEARS INTO THE COMPETITION!
Well, since we're doing reveal trailers...

------------------------------------

Intro Trailer:

Smash Ultimate "New Fighter" intro splash

The trailer begins in an arena made of a yellow-brown stone and adorned with various red, glowing runes, many of which bear a resemblance to demonic iconography. The arena itself sits upon one of many floating islands hanging over a void of orange clouds and possesses a long, bridge-like path leading to a tall fortress adorned with a goatlike skull.

Pit, Dark Pit and Palutena are locked in an intense scrap with Ganondorf, Ridley and Bayonetta in the hellish arena, the latter trio quickly gaining the upper hand before defeating the Light Goddess and her angelic compatriots. Bayonetta and her demonic allies look down upon the battered heroes, the Witch motioning to allies to move in for the kill s Palutena weakly states "We'll never bow to demons like you", to which Bayonetta gives a playful smirk.

Music begins to set in when the fighters are suddenly interrupted by a distant screech, as the doors of the demonic fortress are raised and waves of creatures begin pouring out. The creatures are of varying sizes and appearances: scrawny, imp-like humanoids; flying creatures resembling gargoyles; pink-coloured armoured beasts; muscular humanoids with smooth, skull-like heads; enormous, bipedal monsters possessing crimson skin, cloven hooves and goat horns; and floating, cyclopean spheres of red or brown. The monsters make a beeline towards the arena, the grounded creatures scrambling over and pushing each other out of the way as they cross the bridge, with several of them falling into the abyss below.

The Witch and her allies ready themselves for the oncoming horde... only for the creatures to part and avoid the fighters, running either side of them and jumping to other nearby islands; almost as if they were running away from something. Ganondorf and Ridley look at each other with confused expressions and look to Bayonetta, who is looking towards the fortress gate with a steely gaze. The two henchmen turn towards the gate themselves, only to express shock at what they see.

The trailer cuts to fortress from the fighters' perspective, where the silhouette of a bulky humanoid is seen standing amidst the orange glow from the open doorway. Cut to the first-person perspective of a familiar Heads-Up Display, which then scans the 6 fighters; the Angel Land protectors are marked as "Safe", while their aggressors are given the designation "RIP AND TEAR". Cut to various close-up views of the mysterious newcomer, with shots of: a heavy green chest plate; a studded left gauntlet with a retracted blade, which pans up to reveal a shoulder-mounted cannon; and an exposed right bicep, which pans down the arm to show a double-barrelled shotgun - its barrels decorated with various inscriptions and a two-pronged blade attached to the underside - being held in hand.

Cut to a shot of the newcomer's head or rather, helmet, where subtle facial figures can be seen through the visor. The shot pans backwards away from the head, revealing a massive, imposing figure in a green carapace-like armour reloading his shotgun, with the barrels being snapped into place as the music drops into the iconic riff from At DOOM's Gate.

THE DOOM SLAYER RIPS AND TEARS INTO BATTLE!

The Doom Slayer then charges his three victims at a full sprint, which they respond to by firing off pistol volleys, dark magic and fireballs at his direction. The Slayer suddenly pulls out a black and red-accented Rocket Launcher, which he then fires at his feet to send him flying high above his victims. He re-equips the Super Shotgun in mid-air, before landing between the two groups and taking aim at his victims. The music finishes as the trailer cuts to the Smash logo, right as the Slayer pulls the trigger.

Super Smash Bros.: Ultimate

X

DOOM

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Wish you all luck in Doom Guy getting in. It'll be exciting if he's the announced DLC fighter in 10 minutes or more!

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Good to know western owned characters are 100% on the table. I don't expect Doomguy in the fighter pass but there's no reason he can't be added to Smash Bros. with enough fan support.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Western company are for sure now considerable, let's see if one of fighters 4 and 5 are Doomguy.

Untouch

Smash Master
Alright, maybe I'm going a bit insane.
https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/sound/index.html
They got Kirkhope for music.
https://www.pcgamer.com/doom-composer-mick-gordon-recruits-heavy-metal-choir-for-next-soundtrack/

Mick Gordon was hiring for a new project, not Doom, he wasn't allowed to say which, it just says "a video game".
I thought at first that this meant nothing, because all the composers up to this point were Japanese... but Kirkhope worked on the Banjo DLC.

edit: Just checked his twitter.
https://twitter.com/Mick_Gordon/status/1106667011256578053
Based on the timeframe, I would say this is a picture of the recording, and it looks like it was DOOM related.

Last edited:

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
During Bethesda's e3 conference, there have been very subtle hints that Doomguy might be one of the surprise guest characters in MK11.
I don't know how this affects his chances.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
During Bethesda's e3 conference, there have been very subtle hints that Doomguy might be one of the surprise guest characters in MK11.
I don't recall them hinting that; I thought the build-up to the Mortal Kombat guest characters was for (spoiler-tagging just to be safe, since it's based on leaks)
Ash Williams from Evil Dead/Army of Darkness and the Terminator from... the Terminator.

Untouch

Smash Master
DLC already leaked, he isn't part of it.
Where did you see that?

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
So... Erdrick and Banjo+Kazooie got revealed.

On the one hand, this kicks Chief and Steve out of the running.

On the other hand, it deconfirms the 5Chan leak.

Also, now that I know that Spirit-clones can be featured in trailers, looks like my own trailer will need a rewrite.

Also, Banjo took the title of first fully Western character. Which is fine, since he now acts as the enabler for good ol Doom Slayer's inclusion.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
There wasn't really an explicit hint. The multiplayer showcase for Eternal had an announcer that sounded very similar to the one in MK, though it was probably just a neat little nod if anything.

In any event, I'm feeling a lot better about Doomguy's chances after today. Banjo opened the door for a lot of characters.

Last edited:

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
They got the VA for Shao Khan as the MP announcer for D:E. It's a great pick, and faaaaaaaaaaaaar from any kind of hint to anything MK related. Ash is all but confirmed for MK anyways.

But yeah, crossing my fingers for the last 2 being Doomguy/slayer and Ryu Hayabusa.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
At least people are gonna stop acting as if being a western character prohibits you from Smash now that Banjo got in. Doomguy still has a good shot of being in, let's just see if the mii theory holds water or not once Hero's mii outfits drop.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
At least people are gonna stop acting as if being a western character prohibits you from Smash now that Banjo got in. Doomguy still has a good shot of being in, let's just see if the mii theory holds water or not once Hero's mii outfits drop.
The thing is, even if Hero does bring back the old Mii outifts, that still doesn't REALLY confirm or deny anything. If Fighter 4 is either Namco or Capcom then I'd say it's not great for the Slayer.

Untouch

Smash Master
Not a theory (as the existence of Hero's trailer already debunks it), but with Banjo's trailer being a continuation of K Rool's, I wonder if (if he's in) Doomguy's will be a continuation of Ridley's.
They're probably going to be reusing trailer assets again, and it'd really fit.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Not a theory (as the existence of Hero's trailer already debunks it), but with Banjo's trailer being a continuation of K Rool's, I wonder if (if he's in) Doomguy's will be a continuation of Ridley's.
They're probably going to be reusing trailer assets again, and it'd really fit.
That would be pretty cool. If the Banjo trailer went with the Rare connection, then they could link Doomguy to the Ridley scenario because of brutality.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Even if he was to beat Ridley in his supposed trailer to make him look good as a newcomer, I wouldn’t even be mad. Rid got to do that with Samus after all, along with killing Mario and Megaman, and it’s a cool matchup idea here too. Maybe give Doomguy another victim for his trailer as well.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I think they should fake us out in his trailer. Have it start with cute characters like Pichu,Kirby, etc. Maybe a tea party that gets interrupted by demons, which Doomguy obviously takes care off. Trailer would end with Doomguy having tea with Daisy(reference to his rabbit). Something like that. Many directions they could go with this.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
That would be pretty cool. If the Banjo trailer went with the Rare connection, then they could link Doomguy to the Ridley scenario because of brutality.
Given the Vs. Demons, aspect, I'd be sure that Bayonetta would be the perfect one to do the fakeout.

Have the whole sequence with the rivals splashes. Transition to DK, Diddy, K. Rool, Banjo and Kazooie lounging about in the hut. Explosions and gunfire can be heard from outside the hut, as the Rare gang quickly run to the window to view the commotion.

Have the whole fakeout sequence with the gang looking up to the silhouette in complete shock, only for Bayonetta to reveal herself before giving off a haughty cackle and some sentiment of disbelief ("Did you really think he'd actually be here? Poppycock!")... only for another silhouette to approach Bayo from behind with a chainsaw. Jump cut to a sustained shot of the Rare crew looking on in shock, disgust and fear as the sounds of chainsaws, gunfire, explosions, bones breaking and meat tearing are heard.

Cut back to the silhouette, which unveils to show the Doom Slayer holding Bayo's glasses that he effortlessly crushes to dust within his fist. Fighter Splash. The Rare crew run in terror as their hut is set ablaze.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Honestly having the Slayer come in to help Zero Suit Samus against Ridley as a continuation of his intro actually feels pretty plausible IMO, if he actually makes it in this time around.

Yeah Erdrick/The Hero proves it doesn't have to be a continuation of an existing scenario/trailer, but linking Doom to metroid is just too easy and fitting to pass up IMO.

That and Ridley actually wouldn't be out of place in DOOM Eternal at least as an enemy, so he's a good fit for an opponent. Bayo makes sense when you think about it, but at first glance, to the layman, she doesn't feel as monstrous as the stuff Doomguy usually fights.

Edit: I just had a thought, what if they re-enacted the Ridley trailer like they did with the K Rool trailer, but this time around it's Ridley walking the walkway, weary of something closing in on HIM...
...that something being the slayer, of course.
Would be a clever way of reusing assets/camera shots while also highlighting the DoomSlayer's status as the one who makes the monsters scared.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Edit: I just had a thought, what if they re-enacted the Ridley trailer like they did with the K Rool trailer, but this time around it's Ridley walking the walkway, weary of something closing in on HIM...
...that something being the slayer, of course.
Would be a clever way of reusing assets/camera shots while also highlighting the DoomSlayer's status as the one who makes the monsters scared.
Okay, that’s ****ing awesome. Fits in perfectly with how’s he portrayed in the games as the worst nightmare for Demons. Throw in Bowser and Ganondorf in there with Ridley as well, and have them take place of Megaman and Mario.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Throw in Bowser and Ganondorf in there with Ridley as well, and have them take place of Megaman and Mario.
Ugh, if I see a trailer start with Ridley hunting ZSS with Ganondorf and Bowser.... I'm just gonna start screaming.

Edit: *watches Ridley reveal again*
Oof, there's a shot of Ridley imposing on Samus (at about 50 seconds in), reflecting in her visor.

Just... just ****ing Imagine Ridley's look of fear reflected in Doomguy's visor...

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I'd love to see a trailer with all of the gunners having a big shootout with each other (Samus, Star Fox characters, Bayonetta, etc.) and Doomguy enters the fray with all of his weapons on display. I love the thought of seeing a cinematic trailer of him standing near Samus Aran (not to mention the other characters) it just seems mindblowing.

Top Bottom