• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I never thought I’d say this, but I support the Doom Marine, Doom Guy, Doom “place noun here”.

Any chance I could be thrown into the support list?

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Supported Doom on reddit and played since my childhood. Just heard about the leaks, Dooms never really had a bad game. Played all of them myself and still do nowadays too.

With how good Doom 4 was and now Eternal is hyped up I wonder if he has a realistic chance now?

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if he has a realistic chance now?
Honestly, I personally think yes.

We know Bethesda and Nintendo have had talks that included smash, and we know Sakurai is at least aware of Doom as a series and it's importance to gaming, seeing as he mentioned John Carmack (as the "Father of FPS" no less) in an interview from back when Cloud was new.

Considering Doom's history on Nintendo Consoles (which is actually not minor), the fact that Doom 2016's switch port was rather notable in itself, and that DOOM Eternal is ripe for promotion and will be launching on the Switch, and yeah his chances I would say are better than ever.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
You know how some characters like Inkling and Sonic have some special interactions with water?
In the original Doom engine, you'd walk on water just because liquids were just floors with specific animated textures.
Imagine if in a stage with water, Doomguy is just able to stand and walk on water.
This would be highly game breaking in the very small set of circumstances where it came into play.

I could argue that Bayonetta fires realistic bullets, but they’re magical.
Technically speaking, Bayonetta's guns don't fire anything. They just create the summoning circles which do.

On the other hand, if Joker manages to use his handgun, I’d say this argument would be kind of moot.
Indeed.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Alrighty peeps, we got a wee bit more news.

According to this ResetEra post, the second DLC fighter has been datamined and evidence points towards the fighter being from Dragon Quest.

As always, I will be calling any such leaks bull**** until we get some official information. However, if this does come to fruition, I'll be looking forward to future news with lighlty worried anticipation.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
I mocked the very possibility that we'd get ol' Flyn Taggart in Smash. The fact that it's not only possible but probably based on what information we currently have is more proof that we live in a sideshow freak universe ripped away from its saner twin.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
I think that Doomguy would be a nice addition to Smash Bros since he's actually got some Nintendo history to him (a vast majority of his games have appeared on Nintendo consoles). I know a lot of people think that he's too violent for Smash Bros, but honestly Bayonetta is so much more brutal than him. Doomguy kills demons quickly and efficiently because he doesn't mess around. Bayonetta on the other end slaughters angels in rather over-the-top and cruel ways, toying with her enemies. A lot of the anti-Doom stuff of the 90's is largely gone now, and most conservatives I know love Doom, so that's honestly not an issue. I've actually made a moveset before for Doomguy too, although it has more of Smash 4's mechanics in mind when I made it, so it could probably use some fine-tuning. Still, Doomguy would make for an excellent addition to Smash Bros, and a great western character too no less.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, what do you guys think of the other characters on the leakers list besides Doomguy? I am fine with all of them personally(At worse I am neutral), and I think many will probably be won over when we actually see the characters in question showcasing themselves.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Having barely touched DQ and NG, I'm neutral on Erdick and Hayabusa.

As a Halo fan, it feels a bit cheating that cube-for-a-head will be the first MS rep over Chief, but I guess he's good for bringing in the kiddies.

Uh oh. It's caught the attention of the mainstream news outlets.

https://screenrant.com/super-smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-characters-leaked/amp/

Guess we can kiss our expectations goodbye as Sakurai pulls off the trail.

volbound1700

Smash Master
So, what do you guys think of the other characters on the leakers list besides Doomguy? I am fine with all of them personally(At worse I am neutral), and I think many will probably be won over when we actually see the characters in question showcasing themselves.
I wouldn't say they stink but this DLC season definitely disappoints me. I was afraid after they announced Joker (who I never heard of) that we would get a bunch of Japanese RPG characters that I hadn't hurt of and Steve which is true.

I keep feeling that Rayman and Ubisoft are getting screwed. I also would have preferred Banjo over Steve and Crash Bandicoot someone in the lineup. (I also wanted Tails but I know that is a pipe dream).

Doomguy is literally the only character in this lineup that I am actually excited about. Overall, thee roster for this Smash has been very disappointing since the August direct. I loved the Brawl and Wii U additions to the lineup (minus Bayonetta and Corrin).

chemo

Smash Apprentice
If this whole rumor is true and it also comes with DOOM-themed spirits it would be a missed opportunity to not have a spirit of Doomguy's rabbit that involves a fight with Daisy wearing a bunny hood

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
If this whole rumor is true and it also comes with DOOM-themed spirits it would be a missed opportunity to not have a spirit of Doomguy's rabbit that involves a fight with Daisy wearing a bunny hood
Or a Cyberdemon spirit with a Giant Dark Samus constantly shooting fireballs.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I’m just imagining fan art of Daisy greeting Doom Slayer after he’s announced and suddenly, he starts acting much differently around her due to the princess and his pet rabbit sharing the same name.

As for Doom Spirits, the Cacodemon could be a giant red Kirby while Spider Mastermind could be a giant Ivysaur with a Super Scope.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I wonder if we'll get miscellaneous spirits from Id as well if we get Doomguy. Like Commander Keen and BJ Blazkowicz and Ranger from Quake.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Congratulations!
Gud pic, hope the leak IS real.

But, TBH, after reading posts in the Mach Rider thread of fans congradulating each other literally hours before the Grinch leak got shot down, I'm thinking this is definitely premature. Hope it's still relevant 6 months from now though!

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Gud pic, hope the leak IS real. BUT, TBH, after reading posts in the Mach Rider thread of fans congradulating each other literally hours before the Grinch leak got shot down, I'm thinking this is definitely premature. Hope it's still relevant 6 months from now though!
It's not the same.
Grinch was a image made to be a fake.

This is information getting confirmed.

There is no F****** way this guy knew about Joker and Erdrick and the other ones are fake.

They are not requested characters, no one gave a single vote, and they got confirmed.

Last edited:

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
It's not the same.

There is no F****** way this guy knew about Joker and Erdrick and the other ones are fake.

They are not requested characters, no one gave a single vote, and they got confirmed.
I'm not really following. From what I understand, there's no way to know for sure how credible the leak is. Erdrick and Steve at least are not new ideas, and we don't actually know for sure the post about P5R or P5A or whatever was even from the same person who posted the roster "leak", right? Am I mistaken/missing something?
Edit: What OpticalBlast said.

Don't get me wrong, I have a good feeling about this leak. The mix of popular picks and less popular picks, east and west, and all promote-able, which sync's with the fact that Nintendo specifically picked them. It just seems right.

Last edited:

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
It's not the same.

The Ryu/Steve/Doomguy post came out after Joker's reveal. He says something about posting the info earlier (rough Google translation: I wish I should have got leaked abroad, Nobody believed it before Joker), but until somebody digs through 5chan and finds his earlier post (if it even exists), there's no way to tell if he's legit. Even then, there are some big red flags. Specifically, knowing reveal dates and reasons for character inclusions.

He got Erdrick right, and Vergeben has heard about Switch ports of DQ titles, but I wouldn't start to give it credibility until he has the specific alternate costumes and those ports get revealed.

That being said, thanks for that image. Hopefully it stays relevant.
I'm not really following. From what I understand, there's no way to know for sure how credible the leak is. Erdrick and Steve at least are not new ideas, and we don't actually know for sure the post about P5R or P5A or whatever was even from the same person who posted the roster "leak", right?
Pretty much.

People are making the connection because both posts share a few specific details (Eleven/Anlucia alts for Erdrick being the biggest one), but there's no way to prove they're from the same person.

Last edited:

mediyogurt

Smash Cadet
People are also neglecting that the leaker could have gotten info on Joker, BlazBlu, etc., and then used that to create a fake leak with real evidence backing it up.

I want it to be real, but don't put all your cards down just yet. Thankfully each character in the leak has a lot of information about said character attached to it, so the chances exponentially increase with each one added, if the information regarding that character match up.

Kzinssie

Smash Rookie
I'd also note that Erdrick is in no way confirmed - evidence is strongly in his favor, but "brave" could be anybody.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If the leak were real, Steve would be the only addition I personally dislike. While I don’t have much experience with the IP’s the other characters are from, I have a good enough idea on who they are to say they’d be worthy additions as gaming icons like Ryu Hayabusa, with Doomguy being the icing on the cake.

But I’m still not gonna go on believing/expecting them. Only a Sith deals in absolutes and all that.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I doubt the leak is real but it's good that Doomguy in Smash is getting more mainstream. Even if he's not fighter pass DLC it could help his chances down the line.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I doubt the leak is real but it's good that Doomguy in Smash is getting more mainstream. Even if he's not fighter pass DLC it could help his chances down the line.
Yeah, I feel like having a leak feature a fighter is kinda a milestone for that potential fighter, whether the leak turns out to be anything or not.

I'm definitely glad to see Doomguy get to this point, regardless of what happens over the next few months/year.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I think the most notable thing about this leak is it came from Japan.
One of the biggest arguments "against" DOOMguy is that Japan doesn't know who he is, but that's evidently wrong.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I feel the same way about Doomguy being “leaked” as I felt about Arle Nadja being “leaked”. It’s most likely (almost definitely) a giant load but I think it’s kickass that certain characters are gaining the kind of traction to be featured in people’s leaks and being one of the more believable characters on them.

All in all, don’t rev up those chainsaws yet as likely as he may look now. Or do, I’m not a cop. Be happy however that it’s being seriously discussed as much as it is.

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
With the recent leak, I have to say I'm sort of 50/50 on it, but as a DOOM fan myself, I would love for this walking slaughterhouse of demons to come to smash! Put me up as support!

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
As much as I want our Doom Marine, don't let the "leaks" mess with you. The real "we win" moment is when we see an official trailer of our Doom Marine.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
I hope the leak is true. I'm not too big on Minecraft Steve being in, but if it means we get Doomguy, then i'm all for it. Sign me up for the support list!

EDIT: I actually love Steve's inclusion, it's crazy to see how different my mindset was at the time I posted this lol.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hey guys, what do you think about this?
I am surprised it never seemed to be mentioned here. It has been noted that this could possibly hint towards Doomguy in MK 11. I am not sure of it, so I thought it would be interesting to discuss!

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I am surprised it never seemed to be mentioned here. It has been noted that this could possibly hint towards Doomguy in MK 11. I am not sure of it, so I thought it would be interesting to discuss!
Not a big fan of the idea if it gets in the way of Smash.

Some speculate that characters appearing in other fighters might hurt their chances of appearing in Smash, something about wanting exclusivity, and to be fair how often do you see a third party guest show up in multiple different fighters at the same time?

Yes, his violence would be right at home in MK, but his speed wouldn't. Traditional fighting games, particularly ones by Netherrealm, are most definitely slower and stiffer than Smash. Doomguy IMO belongs in Smash far more than MK, in smash he can put his guns and other non melee attacks to use a lot more, and can definitely be as fast as he should be.

Then you come to the fact that... it's just a bigger deal to get into Smash. Doom and Doomguy are a big part of video game history, Nintendo as well, and Smash is about video game history. Getting into Smash just means a lot more, and is a better fit given his history and influence on the medium.

If both could happen, by all means, that would be sick, but if It has be only one, then no question, the choice is Smash.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Doom Guy would at least get to rip some sh** in MK11, but I'm actually on board with him being in Smash.
Bethesda has shown commitment to the Switch and has brought/is bringing some powerhouse titles - I think that support should be rewarded with a Smash rep.
I think it also bodes well that they were in talks with Bethesda (was this true?) pre-launch.

Out of all the third parties in that 'leak', this one would make the most sense to me in a weird way, because it's with a new company that has been a great support, and it's a retro character that represents classic FPS games, something Smash doesn't have at the moment.

Just putting my bit in here, I don't believe or care about the leak - it's cool to see the datamined codenames and values, but I'm not believing any rumours until a reveal is made. I was too butt-hurt by the grinch leak to do that again. I've learnt my lesson :)

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Doom Guy would at least get to rip some sh** in MK11, but I'm actually on board with him being in Smash.
Bethesda has shown commitment to the Switch and has brought/is bringing some powerhouse titles - I think that support should be rewarded with a Smash rep.
I think it also bodes well that they were in talks with Bethesda (was this true?) pre-launch.

Out of all the third parties in that 'leak', this one would make the most sense to me in a weird way, because it's with a new company that has been a great support, and it's a retro character that represents classic FPS games, something Smash doesn't have at the moment.

Just putting my bit in here, I don't believe or care about the leak - it's cool to see the datamined codenames and values, but I'm not believing any rumours until a reveal is made. I was too butt-hurt by the grinch leak to do that again. I've learnt my lesson :)
Funny thing is Bethesda didn't make Doom's legacy, just had Zenimax (who's treated like Bethesda Softworks Holding anyway) buy Id Software for Bethesda in order to have that legacy.

Top Bottom