• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Pit would either think Doomguy is a supercool badass or be a little scared of him but glad hes on their side. I could see Palutena having a crush on him and Pit getting embaressed/jealous if Pakutena calls Doomguy a hunk.
I feel like any crush would be very one-sided (not necessarily a problem, mind you). In the 2016 Doom Slayer lore, he very much comes across as nothing but murderous rage in human form. More weapon than man.
That might change later on in the game but, from what little I know of the character, I'm not sure he's capable of reciprocating any positive emotion.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I feel like any crush would be very one-sided (not necessarily a problem, mind you). In the 2016 Doom Slayer lore, he very much comes across as nothing but murderous rage in human form. More weapon than man.
That might change later on in the game but, from what little I know of the character, I'm not sure he's capable of reciprocating any positive emotion.
While I don't think he will acknowledge any love, he is capable of other emotions, even if it can be hard to notice. He did make sure to save VEGA, who he likely saw as an innocent. As for the possibility of Palutena having any form of crush on him, I doubt it. Rather, I think she might tease Pit over the idea of trading him in for a more advanced model, knowing how effective the Doom Slayer is at what he does.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Oh, I never said Doomguy would share feelings back, he has no time for love in his schedule of constant anger, besides the one nice thing he did in 2016 of saving VEGA.
The gag is that Palutena would consider hanging around the big buff badass demon slayer guy over the tiny small angel child for obvious reasons. Crush probably wasnt the right word, maybe infatuated or something. EarlTamm kinda said what I meant better anyways lol

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The gag is that Palutena would consider hanging around the big buff badass demon slayer guy over the tiny small angel child for obvious reasons. Crush probably wasnt the right word, maybe infatuated or something. EarlTamm kinda said what I meant better anyways lol
I don't know if "infatuation" is what you're looking for either. Sounds like you see him as just eye candy to her.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Oh, I never said Doomguy would share feelings back, he has no time for love in his schedule of constant anger, besides the one nice thing he did in 2016 of saving VEGA.
I mean if the Doomslayer can have a pet bunny while also being too angry to die, he probably has a romantic bone in there somewhere. A small bone though.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean if the Doomslayer can have a pet bunny while also being too angry to die, he probably has a romantic bone in there somewhere. A small bone though.
I mean, if the Doom Slayer was leader of the Night Sentinels, we know he had a son he clearly cared about a lot, so it is possible he had a wife that died before the demons arrived.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I was under the impression that he was too angry to die because he had a bunny. That he was once a caring man but that the death of that pet changed every ounce of his love into pure, addrenaline-fueled need for revenge. And that he was, as a result, devoid of all other emotion.

But, as stated, I don't know the bigger lore. It's entirely possible that the death of his pet (or the family that EarlTamm EarlTamm mentioned) happened after he became who he is now and, in doing so, proved that he still had compassion in him. Or that there's some other event that does so.
Rescuing VEGA might, when I get to it, but it could just as easily be fueled by his afformentioned disgust towards human sacrifice. I'd need to know the circumstances to judge.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I was under the impression that he was too angry to die because he had a bunny. That he was once a caring man but that the death of that pet changed every ounce of his love into pure, addrenaline-fueled need for revenge. And that he was, as a result, devoid of all other emotion.

But, as stated, I don't know the bigger lore. It's entirely possible that the death of his pet (or the family that EarlTamm EarlTamm mentioned) happened after he became who he is now and, in doing so, proved that he still had compassion in him. Or that there's some other event that does so.
Rescuing VEGA might, when I get to it, but it could just as easily be fueled by his afformentioned disgust towards human sacrifice. I'd need to know the circumstances to judge.
I know the bunny dies at the very end of the original Doom, so maybe he's always been the angry slayer we love.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
In the manual for DOOM 1 Doomguy ends up on Phobos because he refused to attack innocent civillains and ended up harassing his Commanding Officer instead... Id say hes kinda like the Predator, where hell spare (and sometimes even protect) innocents, but if someone is slightly armed or not on his side/pisses him off, hell hold no punches (or ssg shells for that matter)

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
In the manual for DOOM 1 Doomguy ends up on Phobos because he refused to attack innocent civillains and ended up harassing his Commanding Officer instead... Id say hes kinda like the Predator, where hell spare (and sometimes even protect) innocents, but if someone is slightly armed or not on his side/pisses him off, hell hold no punches (or ssg shells for that matter)
I feel the Doomslayer just doesn't want to see people die. So he gets his big anger from seeing people (especially innocents) die. SO he just goes off and kills whatever is killing the people. I think he has a vaguely good morale compass.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
At the end of the day, the Doom Slayer would rather focus on his "career" than any romantic aspirations, even if he did legitimately start to like someone. The only time I think he would make an exception is if that person was able to join him in his rage against Hell and actually keep up(Might also be the only way he could fall in love with someone, to be fair).

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
This whole conversation kinda shows the beauty of a silent protagonist. Gives players a lot more room for interpretation.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
This whole conversation kinda shows the beauty of a silent protagonist. Gives players a lot more room for interpretation.
And Doom Slayer is one of the best when it comes to that, as he has a surprising amount of characterazition for a silent protagonist. Heck, he has more characterazition than some super chatty protagonist's!

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
And Doom Slayer is one of the best when it comes to that, as he has a surprising amount of characterazition for a silent protagonist. Heck, he has more characterazition than some super chatty protagonist's!
Another thing is that you never actually see the Doomslayer's face, so almost all of his characterization comes from his body language and movement. Honestly an even harder feat to accomplish than just being silent.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, despite all our crossover and ship talk, we have failed to mention the elphant in the room(Or at least I think we have not mentioned her). What would Doom Slayer think of Samus?

NukeA6

Smash Master
You know, despite all our crossover and ship talk, we have failed to mention the elphant in the room(Or at least I think we have not mentioned her). What would Doom Slayer think of Samus?
Remember the face that the Doom Guy makes when getting the BFG? Something like that.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Friends/drinking buddies most likely. Both been through (literal) hell and back to get things done. Probably would share stories about their feats too. And I mean, if he ever needed some form of a partner, she'd be a pretty good choice.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I feel like Samus and Doomguy would have a great partnership. Both have an impressive arsenal that can cover for the other(I can easily see Doomguy getting up amd personal while Samus focuses more on the mid range), they both have great conviction in what they do, and they certainly have the will to get the job done, armor or no. Doomguy's pre Doom suit battles and Zero Suit are evidence of that. They also seem to really lack a social life outside of work, so there's that as well.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Guys, Doomslayer's heart is already taken.

View attachment 171156
Doomguy thought process: Just got the BFG-9000 before falling into a pit and falling down myself. First course of action? Check that the BFG it is still okay.

Edit: Had to do a bit of editing, for some reason it thought I hit send before I finished the post itself.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
IDK man, when it comes to the Doom Slayer, merely "harassing" someone feels a lot like pulling punches.

And, as for Samus, I don't see a big romantic arc there. All I see is some teamwork and silent respect, with perhaps a few dumb grins when they think back on their shared adventures.

jokermelee

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Samus and Doomguy would have a great partnership. Both have an impressive arsenal that can cover for the other(I can easily see Doomguy getting up amd personal while Samus focuses more on the mid range), they both have great conviction in what they do, and they certainly have the will to get the job done, armor or no. Doomguy's pre Doom suit battles and Zero Suit are evidence of that. They also seem to really lack a social life outside of work, so there's that as well.
hopefully if we get Doomguy, we get a helmetless version as well so we can get Zero Suit Samus and Doomguy actually see each other eye to eye instead of through their helmet visors.
If Doomguys gonna like anyone, it would probably be Samus. But I think Doomguy would be more in love with Samus' weapons and gear rather than Samus herself
i feel he might also like Snake and his weapons too, which reminds me. If Doomguy did have any interactions with other characters in a story mode, i would want it to be with Snake, Samus, and Cloud, that way we get somewhat of a Super Soldier Showdown (that or an event match)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If Doomguy did have any interactions with other characters in a story mode, i would want it to be with Snake, Samus, and Cloud, that way we get somewhat of a Super Soldier Showdown (that or an event match)
Tragically, I don't see something like that happening, due to his best chances of getting in being during DLC season. If it did somehow happen, I agree with you on who he should interact with, but I would also love to see him interact with Pit and the Inklings. Pit is for obvious reasons, and the Inklings due to hilarious fact that them and the Doomguy would be the only two franchises in Smash to be in the shooter genre(I know Samus kinda did so in the Meroid Prime games, but she did not start that way).

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Tragically, I don't see something like that happening, due to his best chances of getting in being during DLC season. If it did somehow happen, I agree with you on who he should interact with, but I would also love to see him interact with Pit and the Inklings. Pit is for obvious reasons, and the Inklings due to hilarious fact that them and the Doomguy would be the only two franchises in Smash to be in the shooter genre(I know Samus kinda did so in the Meroid Prime games, but she did not start that way).
I wanna see him interact with Bayonetta for even more obvious reasons.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I wanna see him interact with Bayonetta for even more obvious reasons.
Yup. Just yup.
Actually, here's a stupid thing that I though of the past day or so.

Nintendo Employee: Okay, this is the invite we plan to send to your canidate.
(Bethesda reads it)
Bethesda: He's gonna decline.
NE: What! Why!?
B: Don't worry, the letter just needs a little more motivation for him to join...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Doomguy/Doom Slayer
We, Nintendo, humbly invite you to compete in our grand tourney of Nintendo
and gaming icons. There will be plenty of fun to be had and your skills will be
well appreciated to make the tourney more fun for everyone.

P.S. A Witch who has made a pact with Demon the demon hordes is at the top
of the tier list.
-Nintendo

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Doomguy vs Goblin Slayer.
I am gonna be honest, the tons of Goblin/Doom Slayer jokes that happened in the anime community is what got me to really look into Doom for more than 2 minutes and really learn about the series in depth.

I mean, I want to say Doomslayer wins by default because he has a gun.
Of course, but they both share the same spirit.

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
I won't lie, I tried getting into it but the fanservice was just too much for me.

Not saying it's a bad show, just not really for me.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I won't lie, I tried getting into it but the fanservice was just too much for me.

Not saying it's a bad show, just not really for me.
You talking about the stuff in the secound episode? Because the stuff in the first episode was not fanservice. It was very much not..

Last edited:

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
You talking about the stuff in the secound episode? Because the stuff in the first episode was not fanservice. It was very much not..
Yeah, sorry, should have been more clear. Cowgirl and the witch lady and whatnot are too fanservice-y for my taste, especially given the otherwise serious and dour tone. That's just me though.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, sorry, should have been more clear. Cowgirl and the witch lady and whatnot are too fanservice-y for my taste, especially given the otherwise serious and dour tone. That's just me though.
I can understand that. Something you can't really avoid though, it's rather common in any anime fantasy setting, even in darker works. I usually give any show at least 3 or 4 episodes before I decide to commit or not.
I haven't seen it but a friend's been telling me all about. That show sounds wild, woo.
The first episode is pretty brutal, but the next two are a bit lighter and serve to set up the story(I say a bit because the 2nd episode still does some things, it's just not as in your face as the first). I don't know much about the series myself, but I have heard of some future events that are pretty messed up that I would rather not talk about.
Overall the show is not my exact cup of tea, so I won't be in a rush to tune in and see the latest episode, but I will be listening to what the general community thinks of the show as time goes on.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I can understand that. Something you can't really avoid though, it's rather common in any anime fantasy setting, even in darker works. I usually give any show at least 3 or 4 episodes before I decide to commit or not.

The first episode is pretty brutal, but the next two are a bit lighter and serve to set up the story(I say a bit because the 2nd episode still does some things, it's just not as in your face as the first). I don't know much about the series myself, but I have heard of some future events that are pretty messed up that I would rather not talk about.
Overall the show is not my exact cup of tea, so I won't be in a rush to tune in and see the latest episode, but I will be listening to what the general community thinks of the show as time goes on.
As someone who doesn't normally watch anime, I'll just do what I always do and just look from afar.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, how are people feeling about the leak in this part of the Smash forum?

Top Bottom