• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Assist Trophies or Pokéballs: Which is more helpful?

Tacel

Smash Lord
Sure, they both summon something...
But which gets the job done right?

justaway12

Smash Master
Assist trophies, the pokeball it too much risk/reward, the Assist trophies are safer, they don't have those legendarys which take off a stock (not as much anyway) and change the game and hardly those that suck.

Well that's my opinion

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
I wouldn't know; I don't use items. If I'm playing an item match and I get an item, I like to throw it off the stage and say, "I fight with honor!" ^^

Actually, I do have one opponent I go out of my way to smack with an item..... :laugh:

n88

Smash Lord
I prefer ATs because I have an uncanny tendency to pull Goldeen or Munchlax out of Pokeballs. I once got Munchlax four times in a row.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Pokeballs. They have more helpful characters compared to Assist Trophies. Plus you can have up to 3 Pokeballs out at once, instead of 1 Assist Trophy.

AeryEcho

Smash Cadet
Pokeballs, for the above mentioned reason that they aren't going to turn on you (aside from very tricky circumstances) and most of the pokemon will secure some of the stage for you.

I would have said assist trophies since they tend to affect more area, whereas pokeballs are usually avoidable, but I forgot about things like the devil, Nintendog, etc.

shadowyoshi2345

Smash Journeyman
AT

mostly because the good pokemon rarely come out, while you can get some decent AT most of the time, and AT usually stay out longer and do more damage

iProdigy101

Smash Apprentice
Assist trophies for me since they have more effect in a match because most pokemons tend to just stick to one part of the stage for a little bit, then they just leave. Assist trophies tend to cover larger portions of the stage most of them.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Pokeballs. Sometimes assist trophies handicap both players, so it doesnt help you in the slightest. I tihnk only 2 pokeballs either put you at risk or dont help at all.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Assist Trophies will help you more. Though both have their pros and cons. Pokeball's, the odds of you getting a helpful Pokemon is 4/10 chance, there are some Pokemon that you don't even want to see but see them way too often, (Munchlax the most fallowed by Togepi, Manaphy, Wobbuffet, Bellossom, Gardevoir, Goldeen), even some of the strongest Pokemon doesn't perform well, (looks at Groudon, Deoxys, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Moltres), but they do have chances of getting some Pokemon that kills hard, (Kyogre, Latias & Latios, Bonsly, Snorlax, Electrode, Piplup), there are some that help you get a lot of damage, (Meowth, Entei, Staryu, Weavile, Torchic, Gulpin, Metagross, Chikorita). Assist Trophies would be 6/10, the unhelpful one's do not appear too often, (mostly Stafy, Devil, Helirin), and the one's that appear less often that are just annoying and interrupt the stage, (Mr. Resetti, Nintendog, Tingle), but most of the trophies help you KO faster, some faster than others, (Lyn, Samurai Goroh, Jeff, Knuckle Joe, Little Mac, Isaac), and there are some that will help you do more damage, (Kat & Ana, Andross, Saki Metroid, Jill, Custom Robo, Waluigi, Infantry and Tanks, Shadow), though there are some that doesn't do very well as well but still help you, (Lakitu, Hammer Bros, Dr. Wright, Barbara). That's my thought's on it. ♥

Both Assist Trophies and Pokeballs have their own cons to them.
In my opinion:

Pokeballs:
- Electrode, 30% damage and high knockback, KOs anywhere above 65%
- Wobbuffet, just a general pain because one gets batted about like with the fan.
- Munchlax, only eats items.
- Goldeen, useless.

Assist Trophies:
- Devil, moves the screen around, what real use is that?
- Nintendog, annoying.
- Mr. Resetti... :mad:

Although Pokeballs have a small chance to summon a Pokemon that damages the user, I would have to go with Pokeballs.
Assist Trophies tend to spawn useless characters for me.
Besides, Pokeballs always tend to summon Entei, Staryu, or Latios and Latias for me. Sometimes Lugia appears before me as well.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Both have positives and negatives: Pokeball you get goldeen and a few other pokemon that do absolutly nothing.

Assist trophies have awesome helpers that can kill or stun your opponent, but also have completely annoying stuff like nintendogs and resetti. Also with Assist trophies it takes a second to activate, if your opponent can hit you in the air or off stage you wont be able to grab the ledge...

I have to go with Pokeballs, at least you can throw them at your opponent for damage.

PK Slap

Smash Cadet
Between these... I say pokéballs. I don't tend to get very useless ones and i'm a big pokémon fan. Also, in AT's every time resetti pops out... I just wanna commit suicide and end the match.

But Mr. Saturn is better than both of the items in this competition am i right?

Buradori

Smash Rookie
I guess I would say...... assist trophies. I am pretty much neutral on both of them but i would go after an assist trophy before i would go after a pokeball

Top Bottom