• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

soju

SD God
Big thing, don't show your opponent you are frustrated it's a prime time for them to take advantage of you.

Your edgeguards got a bit wacky there's only a few times where you would want fsmash instead of ftilt and you missed a few due to you not angling them downward.

Also after you took the first stock second set you stood there on the platform spot dodging I assumed you were attempting a shield drop, not a good time to try it out as he punished hard

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
@ Phez_ Phez_ Try not to do the same ledge options over and over. You chose ledgehopped uair almost every time. Invincible ledgedash is great. You can do a regular stand up, ledge attack, or even ledgehop airdodge. There are some other options as well.

Overall, the theme of the set was being a little too predictable. I think that if you work on your mixups, it will go a long way in terms of helping you improve as a player.

Griffard

Smash Ace
So start next year I'm starting my "Singlehood of the Traveling Chu" meaning I'm doing a road trip from California to Florida to New York then across the Canadian border back to washington and finally cali again, be prepared
You should make a Louisiana tournament in New Orleans or Baton Rouge if you come through. We're moderately active and our scene has been steadily growing.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
how do you guys do the up b to ledgegrab thing where quick attack starts but pikachu grabs the ledge before he moves?

does anyone know if pichu can do it too?

Last edited:

N64

Smash Champion
Just make sure you're travelling at any down-toward angle, but you let go of down before you pass the ledge. Pichu can also do it, yes.

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
I'm picking up pikachu for falco and some fox.(I'm a falcon main) Can you give me some advice on pikachu-falco and pikachu-fox?(Like what would you rate each matchup?(ex. 65-35, 60-40). What are my main advantages? What are their advantages and how do I get around them? What should I learn to do specifically for these matchups?)

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I'd say Pikachu - Fox is 40-60 and Pikachu - Falco is 45-55. Falco's main advantage over you is a much better neutral, better hitboxes (aside from Pika's reverse rising uair) and a better combo game. Your only advantages in the matchup is a better recovery and edgeguard game.

Fox on the other hand ... the main reason why I think he is a more difficult matchup is because he has better kill setups. Your only real kill setup is u-throw to up-smash, which doesn't work reliably if there are platforms for him to DI to. You can also do a rising uair > land on platform up-smash, but this is pretty situational. His own setups such as nair/bair > up-smash or u-throw > uair happen much more frequently and are easier to get.

Against Fox, you need to take advantage of your nair cross up out of dash dance to lead into uairs from behind him and stay relatively safe from his crouch cancels. Downsmash is a nice tool to catch approaches or to combo into after an aerial at low percents. It usually leads to a tech chase up-smash or grab. When Fox is above you, dash dance nair or grab can catch his landing while running SH uairs can catch him from below while staying fairly safe by using your momentum to get out of the way of any counter attacks should you whiff. Dash cancelled d-tilts can be thrown out to catch Fox out of his own dash dance, while having a low enough cool down to be able to react in case Fox full jumps over your tilt.

Against Falco it's useful to have your back to him. Shield a laser and uair out of shield can stuff his SHFFL'd aerials. WDing out of shield and catching Falco landing with a d-smash can be useful because of its long hitbox. Be careful not to run into his bairs and u-tilts. If he is not lasering, he is probably preparing to use one of those options. Do not miss tech chases on Falco ... react as well as possible with grabs to u-throw or up-smash. You can do full jump thunder jolt from some ranges to throw off Falco's laser tempo.

Phez_

Smash Apprentice
let peach control center stage with d-smash and high-priority aerials. pikachu can control the edges with his amazing gimp game. if peach d-smashes on a platform try to uair/u-throw someone into it. Pikachu can also kill with u-smash some times. Pikachu can potentially save peach during her up-b by uair-ing her upwards if she drifts underneath the edge.

It's a really underestimated team in my opinion, I got top 16 in doubles with a peach main at a really big Australian national tourney earlier this year. Try it out :)

Last edited:

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
Thanks everyone! I will probably post pikachu videos in here soon, probably later this week. Don't go easy on me!

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Anything specific you guys do to practice Pika's SH?

Currently trying to do dashdance rhythms and then attempting a SHFFL nair (or uair, but difficulty got too steep for me doing this for now)
Also switching between training and level 1 cpus on attack

Scatz

Smash Champion
Currently attempting to do:

50x SHs in a row
25x SHFFL Uairs in a row
25x SHFFL Nairs (mix between dash and no dash) in a row
10x SHFFL Nair > SHFFL Uair in a row

Got a while to go, but when I kept up my practice, I was able to consistently SH with ease in matches. I'm still not used to the quick tapping, so missing a day or two screws me over pretty badly.

After I get used to that, I do some combo practice on lvl 1-3 cpu.

Last edited:

Defile

Smash Apprentice
Does anybody know the exact percents at which Pikachu's up-throw chain grab begins and ends on Fox, Falco and Falcon?

Last edited:

The Jets

Smash Cadet
Does anybody know the exact percents at which Pikachu's up-throw chain grab begins and ends on Fox, Falco and Falcon?
If someone knows the exact please post it here.

I know fox and falco start around 20 and end just short of 100. falcon starts close to zero and ends about the same

Phez_

Smash Apprentice
yo @ ChivalRuse ChivalRuse your pikas pretty sick. I would suggest you mix up what you do after a cross-up nair on shield. e.g cross-up nair and then sh/fullhop uair or maybe d-smash. if they catch on and shield both the nair and the move after it, mix it up with a grab after your cross up approaches.
Also try to capitalize more when anyone is above you by using uair or usmash/up-angled f-tilt as anti-airs. Uair can outspace and out-priotise all of foxes aerials if you space it well.
try to throw in some spaced d-tilts to mix up your neutral game because just nairing can be predicatble and punishable.
at 2:25 you could have shield drop punished this and quite a few other reckless apporaches SG did.
also ensure that youre really comfortable wiht up-b sweet spotting for recovery and gimps. really crucial

Great stuff :)

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
@ Phez_ Phez_ Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I'm trying to work on my mixup game. As you saw, I used too much down smash and got punished for it like 3/4 times.

@ Awstintacious Awstintacious Quite possibly. But it seems very situational and difficult to execute 100%. Usually, jumping out with thunder jolt or fast fall nair is slightly less risky. But when you have Axe-level execution, that quick attack sweetspot might be the optimal choice if you see the ledge illusion attempt from a space animal.

Last edited:

dkuo

Smash Lord
executionally its not too difficult after some angle practice

however, an important note - theres no way that was done on -reaction- since they started their upb/sideb animations pretty much at the same time. its more the fact that axe started a long distance shorthop offstage, which pressured westballz to take a fast recovery immediately with sideb. axe simply timed it to sweetspot right before falco's sideb could possibly make it to the ledge. its pretty safe edgeguard setup since it covers falco's fastest recovery from that position, and the ledge will still be free even if westballz recovers in a different way (so even if he doesnt gimp falco hes still hanging off the ledge for further edgeguards). even if it trades pika can probably make it back. while side tilt is probably a safer way to cover sideB, staying onstage doesn't pressure westballz to take a fast recovery - axe's shorthop out increases the probability of westballz doing it

maybe ill start using this more on the rare occasions i play pika heh

joe i like your retreating uairs :^)

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Axe is just supremely confident in his ability to react to the option that his opponent chooses from an offstage position. Most of us would tremble going for such a gimp against Westballz.

@ dkuo dkuo Thanks. The uairs feel pretty powerful against characters who don't have disjointed hitboxes.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
It looked like Axe did this up-B on reaction to the phantasm: https://youtu.be/HQX64zCA-hU?t=1m30s

Are you pikas going to start incorporating this into edgeguard coverage?
Definitely not on reaction (He Up-B'ed 2-3 frames after the Phantasm started, Axe's reaction time is ~13 frames & normal human reaction time is 15-18 frames), he just preemptively went to ledge to cover the obvious impending Side-B recovery and hit him accidentally. If Falco would have Up-B'ed it would have been a free tail spike or Nair/Dair, this is what makes Falco so easy off stage his recovery is very predictable and unsafe. Most low-mid levels will panic side-B out of habit as they align with the stage lip, you can cover this and still have time to punish any other recovery as Pikachu.

Honestly if Axe would have just Dair'ed or Nair'ed it would have ended that edgeuard with one hit. Even safer would have been to stay on stage and Ftilt downward.

With Falco's I personally like to sit at the ledge and just run off DJ Nair/Uair their phantasm. You can actually cover this option even if they don't do it and still have time to cover the Up-B instead.

Last edited:

Sempai

Smash Ace
Axe is just supremely confident in his ability to react to the option that his opponent chooses from an offstage position. Most of us would tremble going for such a gimp against Westballz.

@ dkuo dkuo Thanks. The uairs feel pretty powerful against characters who don't have disjointed hitboxes.
Im balls to the wall crazy about edge guarding everybody. But its probably bc my neutral is so bad XD

Air Bair

Smash Rookie
This may sound like a silly question, but does the blue Pikachu hat extend his hitboxes? I know I see top level pikachus use that costume.

soju

SD God
No but it grants you the majestic powers of wizardchu and your skill level increases while earning points towards gryffindor

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
This the Pikachu forums get yur kid baby Pichu talk outta heeeeeerrre

I wish Pikachu had goggle alt constume :[

Last edited:

soju

SD God
if You ever need a boost just use googles pichu because they're the choice specs and they will boost Your special attack by 1.5

we are all special
But pichu can only us one move with choice specs on, and im pretty sure he wasted it on splash

soju

SD God
Pikachu is your stock tank, initiator, and support. Basically land an uair then let ganon do the rest. Don't split up and do 1v1s as ganon can't come help you if you're in trouble. You also help ganon recover a ton.

Top Bottom