• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread, READ BEFORE MAKING NEW THREADS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
wow cool thanks, and i want to thank all you wolfs for helping me with this. i got into an arguement with a dude on the rob boards because i asked a question and now i feel like beating his face into the ground, thank you for the help
Lol, just go ZSS and infinite his *** to show him who's boss :laugh:

Glad to be of assistance, Rookie. We're a community, helping out fellow smashers is what we do, right? Good luck with your wolf :)

@ Assault: Yeah, it's pretty much an un-sweetspotted attack as far as I can tell, no differences besides a decrease in damage and knockback.

:059:

Yoshara

Smash Lord
How useful is the shine for escaping chain grabs? Like, should I be trying to shine if I get caught in one, or is there something better?

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
How useful is the shine for escaping chain grabs? Like, should I be trying to shine if I get caught in one, or is there something better?
Not something to use against Falco or DDD. Something to use against Pikachu or Kirby. This is from my own experience though. Let's see if someone else has more to say.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
On slanted stages it can work against DeDeDe and Falco. Pikachu it only works if they're not at the exact % to start with, but you might as well try to shine through all of them anyways, not like it's going to really hurt you.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Did you know the search function can't find the word 'bthrow' in this thread even once? :O

My question:

At low percents, if Wolf bthrows Snake, what's the worst that could happen?

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Matchup question:
Wolf vs. Sonic

And i wuz gonna say Wolf vs. Fox but there's already a matchup one on a wolf guide.
There's a bit on Sonic as well, but I think that bit sucks.

Sonic is garbage against Wolf imo. Others might disagree, but I've played a decent one. I ended up two-stocking him most of the time.

Blaster is important. Sonic can run around the stage all he wants, but the blaster stops him in his tracks.

Don't take the fight offstage, Sonic will gimp you.

You can tech Sonic's dthrow, so keep that in mind.

You're heavier than Sonic, you live longer. Keep that in mind.

Shine is good at interrupting, especially in this match-up. If he tries to lock on you with the B attack, shine it and counter.

I don't know what else to say, but I really don't see Sonic as a threat. Just play a good Sonic, and you'll learn how to counter him as you go along.

EDIT: dsmash and upsmash take an hour to finish, so if you see it, run in there and shield grab. I've found I can do that often. Don't know about everyone else.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Sonic has nothing disjointed enough to get past shine. Blaster, shine coutner, punish with fsmash, space bairs, you win?

Idk, Sonic can be troublesome if you're not prepared, but just know what you're up against and you should do all right.

Luigi_Lova62

Smash Journeyman
reason why i asked is because my cousin plays a good Sonic and loves to use the b attack alot. lol but thanks anyway Ishieymoro and Asaph.

Oh yeah, one more matchup question. Wolf vs. Metaknight

I'm wondering if this is a bad matchup since MK is "top tier" and all.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Watch the Omniswell vs Judge match-up in the video thread. He does a good job.

Uair plays a part, and bair takes a vital role, more so than usual. Shine is also VERY important. Take a look at the video. ;)

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
Two quick Snake questions.

Jumpman said:
Like you said, his F-tilt is quite dangerous. However, it's very predictible and therefore punishable. If you angle you shield, you can always punish his F-tilt with F-smash.
1) How do I do this? Do I angle the shield towards them slightly? Upwards?

2) For zoning Snake, am I supposed to zone outside the range of the first hit or the second hit of Snake's ftilt?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
For zoning, I'd stay outside the first hit, because you can definitely react in time to counter the second hit if he starts the first outside of range. I'm not sure about angling the shield, but I'd go with towards, maybe towards and up. Usually I can punish it without angling my shield though, so I guess that's only for when your shield is getting low.

JCav

Smash Lord
For zoning, I'd stay outside the first hit, because you can definitely react in time to counter the second hit if he starts the first outside of range. I'm not sure about angling the shield, but I'd go with towards, maybe towards and up. Usually I can punish it without angling my shield though, so I guess that's only for when your shield is getting low.

with what?

i like f tilt over f smash sometimes in this situation

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Idk, I usually go with fsmash, but if I'm close enough I sometimes go with ftilt (to avoid only hitting with the crappy part of fsmash). What makes you use ftilt instead of fsmash?

JCav

Smash Lord
Idk, I usually go with fsmash, but if I'm close enough I sometimes go with ftilt (to avoid only hitting with the crappy part of fsmash). What makes you use ftilt instead of fsmash?

i just feel like f smash would be too close in range and not get all 3 hits in, im prolly wrong...

Star_wolf8675

Smash Rookie
Why does wolf have three directions to his dash attacks and falco and fox have 5

*I have horrible reading problems so i hope i posted right this time*

castorpollux

Smash Champion
ummm im pretty sure wolf's up B goes in the same amount of directions as fox and falcos

tekkie

Smash Master
Fire Wolf can go in all directions, even weird ones like north northwest and such (so to speak). I'm sure Fox and Falco can do the same.

Edit: What about grab release? Is it useful? Are there reliable followups? Wolf can pummel like a pro so just mashing A/Z until they get out and following up with something awesome would be sweet.

tedeth

Smash Master
Yeah ok I have a simple question. Why the hell did Xsyven lock the thread I made? I can't possibly see how that is spam or useless or anything worthy of being locked. I was showing interest in playing good WOLF players to try and better my WOLF because I am a WOLF main. Hence why I posted the thread here instead of in regional zones.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Grab release has nothing guaranteed, except for dsmash on ness (maybe lucas too, idk). Air breaks, if you can force it we have an infinite on wario, supposedly O.o That and boost smash on MK, and some sideB stuff (don't know if the sideB is guaranteed on anyone though). All I can think of atm.

Yeah, I have no idea tedeth... I don't think it should've been locked. You should ask Xsyven about that next time you run into him. Either way though, you can definitely mention it in the social thread and see if anyone else will be around.

tekkie

Smash Master
When landing near someone how can you avoid the inevitable grab/jab if the opponent is ready for your landing?

Also, I'd like to ask for opinions on how best to get back onto the stage from the air and from an edge. Scarring is okay but not regularly, drop/DJ onto stage is punishable if they're close, upB is just undesirable, etc.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Beware of BSL for ledgehopping. Jump from the ledge and shine when in doubt, I guess, idk >_> I ledgehop too much, it's really a problem.

Alain

Smash Cadet
0-lag Fair

How do you guys perform the 0-lag Fair into a retreat? For myself, i use the control stick followed by c-stick forward but i NEVER use control stick to short hop so my fingers are in an odd position and i cannot maneuver my character for a moment or two, least of all capitalize on zero lag time. I do not think it is possible to reliably use x,y into c-stick to do 0-lag Fair because it’s my one thumb hitting both buttons and I can never get both of them in time(or should I get faster with this method?). What do you guys think?

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
You basically either have to get perfect stick short hops (Hard and annoying) or use the button by rolling the thumb quickly from X or Y to A while holding forward, then immediately pushing back. The timing is quick but you get used to it, once you have the rolling motion down it gets easy.

Alain

Smash Cadet
^ thanks

Are there any good uses for attacking off the ledge? I do not know what the technique is called but an example is when holding the ledge dropping down then short hop, fair, up+b (to grab the ledge again). I know it serves some purpose with Marth.

1) Would it be in my best interest to master this with wolf?
2) What USEFULL moves could be done off the ledge in this manor.

tekkie

Smash Master
^ thanks

Are there any good uses for attacking off the ledge? I do not know what the technique is called but an example is when holding the ledge dropping down then short hop, fair, up+b (to grab the ledge again). I know it serves some purpose with Marth.

1) Would it be in my best interest to master this with wolf?
2) What USEFULL moves could be done off the ledge in this manor.
There are a few useful applications. It's worth knowing for pretty much any character.

-Lazor
-Shine
-Bair
-Dair maybe but that's risky

Actually all of Wolf's aerials could have a use in theory. But those first two are probably the big ones.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
If your reaction time is terrible, what's the best way to DI? I hate dying in the low 100%s.

Even with my terribad reaction time, I can usually react and have a chance at properly DIing when I leave myself open for punishment. However, I've been getting killed early when I predict incorrectly and get interrupted/hit when I don't expect it. By the time I react (my mindset is locked on executing my next move), it's too late and I die.

As a solution, I'm currently trying to always hold up, even in neutral situations and during attacks. If I have to move left/right in the air or on the ground, I try using diagonals (it'll have at least some vertical vector then). I'm not sure if this is a good habit to make though. Thoughts? Most of the moves that hit me when I'm zoning well have good horizontal range and send me flying horizontally. The majority of moves that knock me upwards are punishers (I have to leave myself open) and juggles (they're below me), so I'm hoping that I have enough time to react and change my DI accordingly. I'm worried that the exceptions (like Wolf's Fair - good horizontal range with vertical knockback) will kill me though.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
@ SP: I'd go with diagonal up, towards the stage. Think about it, most attacks send you around a 45 degree angle, not straight horizontal. Diagonal DI counters that better than straight upwards DI, and then you already have some momentum towards the stage after your momentum cancel aerial. It also gives you some help against vertical attacks, so yeah.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
Ishieymoro, I'm just holding up while doing my other actions.
- If I am standing still, I can only hold up (helps DI) or down (which doesn't help DI) as any other direction moves me.
- If I wanted to walk/run forward, I use up and towards them rather than just toward them. Conversely, if I wanted to walk/run away, I use up and away. The same principle applies for approaching/retreating in the air.
- Shielding is an exception. Holding up against a horizontal knockback attack might be better for DI, but it could also allow a move to shield poke. Holding to the sides against a vertical knockback attack could cause me to roll and get hit during the starting vulnerability frames.
- If I mistime a Shine though, my DI becomes horrible. It's gotten me killed at early percents several times already. If only I could reverse up B and down B. :(

Still, I don't know if this is good practice. By no means am I advocating this; I'm just experimenting and hoping for some feedback.

So far though, holding the upwards vector has caused me to suffer elsewhere. I start spamming more and spacing horribly when doing this...but practice might alleviate that. Hrmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom