• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread, READ BEFORE MAKING NEW THREADS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Ah... Well, idk... better than nothing, and in general you can't make things any worse by DIing straight up. I would stick with it, but not try to implement it to the extent that it takes your mind off the rest of your game. Are your reflexes really too slow that you can't bring them up to speed for DI?

:059:

Alain

Smash Cadet
I find that wolf vs wolf seems to be annoying. I end up mass dodging and attempting to punish with either downsmash fsmash or grab. The wolfs (wolves?) that I play tend to do the same. For example, I fsmash (attempting to punish him for a move) he blocks and dsmashes I block and dsmash he rolls tries to grab I dodge ...etc.
Eventually I get annoyed and throw some bairs in there but being spaced does not give one wolf and advantage over the other, I also feel that zero lag fair would annoy the opponent but gives no real advantage.

so my question is
1. What should I work on or look into to help my wolf vs wolf game.
2. Is fighting wolf vs wolf merely a game of dodging?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
^ One of my favorite matchups xD

Get into the habit of not fsmashing unless you know for a fact that you will hit. It can really save you in some matchups (Snake ._.), and has some definite use against wolf. What I do is basically spam SHFF bairs and punish their attempts to punish my SHFF bairs... Yeah. Not interesting. There's a lot of other stuff you should do too obviously (, but the basic idea is to be defensive until you KNOW you can be offensive. Wolf is a great punisher, so don't get punished. Shine gimp like crazyyyy.

So play safe, punish, and gimp, basically.

Man, I'm really out of it lately lol, sorry for the sub-par explanation.

Alain

Smash Cadet
^ One of my favorite matchups xD

Get into the habit of not fsmashing unless you know for a fact that you will hit. It can really save you in some matchups (Snake ._.), and has some definite use against wolf. What I do is basically spam SHFF bairs and punish their attempts to punish my SHFF bairs... Yeah. Not interesting. There's a lot of other stuff you should do too obviously (, but the basic idea is to be defensive until you KNOW you can be offensive. Wolf is a great punisher, so don't get punished. Shine gimp like crazyyyy.

So play safe, punish, and gimp, basically.

Man, I'm really out of it lately lol, sorry for the sub-par explanation.

Thanks but could i get some more opinions on wolf vs wolf ?
The more the better.

tekkie

Smash Master
I hate playing Wolf vs. Wolf.

It's the traditional ditto matchup. Try to out-bait your opponent and wait for them to mess up. And if they overuse a punishable move, always be ready for it.

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
Peach? She can't kill, that alone makes the match ridiculously hard for her, you can kill so it seems pretty advantageous to me. Wolf is hard since he is an amazing all around character that has good aerial and ground games, as well as being very heavy. He can live to 160% normally, it seems near impossible for a Peach to kill you especially since she's easily gimped.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Kill peach by... hitting her with dsmash? Idk, is there any particular thing that's giving you trouble?

@ JigglyZelda: I do. I set dpad to smashes (only way to make it remotely (lolpun) usable imo) and slide from down on dpad to up on dpad during a dash. Takes some practice, but once you get the timing down it's fine. Gotta find a place for grab though :( I use 1 aned 2, but if you can get used to the A+B timing for grab I guess I'd reccomend that.

Alain

Smash Cadet
^ Exactly my point

Speaking of dsmash... i have another question. I hear that doing 9 random moves keeps dsmash fresh but however, do the 9 moves have to hit the opponent? Further, could they be the same move done 9 times?
Basically would spamming A 9x times without hitting anyone 'refresh' dsmash?

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
@Alain
yes the moves have to hit, can't spam at air lol

Peach? She can't kill, that alone makes the match ridiculously hard for her....
Wolf isn't easy, but hes not too hard for peach
killing her i can't answer either cause Dsmash does rarely work on good Peachs. i always end up killing her w/ something different.

@ JigglyZelda: I do. I set dpad to smashes (only way to make it remotely (lolpun) usable imo) and slide from down on dpad to up on dpad during a dash. Takes some practice, but once you get the timing down it's fine. Gotta find a place for grab though :( I use 1 aned 2, but if you can get used to the A+B timing for grab I guess I'd reccomend that.
well thats one DACUS i could possibly do XD
luckily i already have that setup and as for grabing i've learned to use A+B, took the longest though.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Use the laser in this match while she's in the air. They're better. Also use bair, because it's faster than her fair. Stay away from her up close, she'll CG you up to thirty something. It's not devastating, but it's annoying. Yeah, dsmash doesn't work.

Stay AWAY from her dair.

Alain

Smash Cadet
thanks ^ thats just what i needed.

also when is the best time to use boost smash? I dont think it works too well as an apporach, what do you guys think?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Boost smash to use OoS if a laggy move hits your shield or to punish airdodges/spotdodges.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
1) Punishing Landing Lag from AD

I've been abusing hyphen Usmash against opponents who AD into the ground after a juggle (I plan to use this more against spotdodges when I can predict them consistently). Between this and other options (Charging Fsmash and Pivot Grab being others), what would the best option to punish AD into the ground be?

I find that Pivot Grab is a bit harder to time when punishing the landing lag, but it has the advantage of also working against quite a few Dair attacks and possibly Fair/Bair if you crossover it.

2) Chasing Opponents in the Air after a Juggle

Despite Wolf's air speed, I've been struggling to chase opponents in the air after a juggle. I can't change directions fast enough to follow them (ESPECIALLY if they B reverse). Any tips?

The few times I have successfully chased an opponent at kill percents high up in the air and baited an airdodge, DJ Fair has netted me a KO. I want to do that more often.

3) Dash Shieldgrab VS Dash Grab

Is dash shieldgrab faster than dash grab? Wolf's dash grab speed is pretty slow to come out and end; whiffing it gets me punished. If the dash shieldgrab is fast enough, I'd prefer to use that instead. I've actually counter punished some opponents who tried punishing a whiffed grab before.

4) Refreshing Moves

Against objects, what moves are preferred for refreshing purposes?

After killing an opponent, I've been using the weak hits of Nair to attack the balloon on Smashville without destroying it. That usually allows me a second hit on it for twice the refresh.

Against D3's minions, if he isn't too close by, I've been using the first hit or two of jab or a Blaster if they're further away. I THINK they refresh at least.

Any others?

5) Situational Stuff

Is there any use for crouching? Wolf doesn't seem to crouch low enough to avoid most moves. However, I have found that you can DACUS underneath Samus' smash missile. Are there any more instances of this?

Actually, I think we need a thread for all the situational stuffs (like Fire Wolf breaking Tornado). Consolidating it in one area would be nice.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
1) PIVOT GRABS <3 (I'm going through a pivot grab phase right now, but yeah) You can somewhat mix it up with sh retreating bairs after you run past, or pivot into usmash (such a huge hitbox). I'm not a fan of charging fsmash, dunno why.

2) You could try wavebouncing blaster to get a similar effect, but the lag would be bad... Wolf can't change direction quick enough in the air to compete with good reversals, so it will definitely be difficult if they're really high up when you give chase.

3) Dash shieldgrab is faster by a few frames, like 3 I think? Idr... but dashgrab is still really good, it takes some getting used to though. Dashgrab is more for punishing imo.

4) Jabs refresh well (first two, cancel and repeat), nair too (shyguys lol)... maybe dtilt if it's something like the walls of luigi's (I find little use for dtilt...). Blastering minions when there's nothinig else to do works, does anyone know if the blaster and bayonet count seperately? I'm pretty sure his minions allow for moves to be refreshed though.

5) The crouch from usmash/boost smash helps you avoid a lot of things, similar to squirtle's usmash hydroplaning. The best use is probably to go under falco's lasers, idk what else it goes under.

Yeah... a thread for all that obscure stuff would be nice. What other obscure things would you like to put in there, SP?

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
@ Ishieymoro

1) Does Pivot Usmash increase its hitbox or something? Is it better than hyphen Usmash?
3) I think I'll use dash grab only if I want to get them off the stage using the slide.
5) If memory serves, I couldn't get it to crouch under Falco's lasers (not even normal crouch ducks it). If it did, then Wolf would completely outcamp Falco. I have been trying to charge Usmash when underneath a platform if my opponent likes to use an attack with good range beneath it. I'm hoping to duck under it, then punish their ending lag.

A Couple Other situational stuff (IE not too well known outside of Wolf mains):
- Fire Wolf breaking Tornado
- Fire Wolf bouncing
- Nair Dsmash combo
- Shine Nair combo
- DACUS crouching under Samus' smash missile
- Maybe Blaster gimp on GW if it's real

New Question:

6) I borrowed my roommate's recording equipment and recorded the Blaster gimp on GW. Did I interrupt his Up B or his Uair? I can't really tell... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEX2mhxa3fc

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
@ SP:

1) I don't think so, same thing more or less. I just meant pivot so that you don't get forward momentum after you run past them. I think hyphen usmash has a better hitbox, but can't say for sure since I've never really tested.

5) Boost smash definitely lets you go under falco's laser. Idk if it's while charging, I think you get hit then, but when going into the charging animation you can avoid it. Interesting use of charged usmash that you mentioned, let me know how that goes once you experiment with it some more. Sounds usable, but I don't know how much of a difference it would make...

6) Probably upB, I think that if he uair'd you from that close you would take the damage, and it would also send you more vertical. That's pretty cool though, bayonet stagespike... should work on all characters, but it might be easier if you reverse it. I'm going to keep this in mind and test it out sometime.

Oh, okay lol. I know TONS of useless stuff (I think...), I can make a thread about it and put that thread into the ultimate sticky. If anyone has other tricks such as those that they want put in, just mention it and I'll do so. Thread will probably be made over the weekend though, or maybe friday.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Lol. Soviet Brawl is my kind of Brawl :)

I'll be sure to put that in, I think that this 'situational tricks' thing will turn out great.

The thing is, you can predict it if you're playing a falco that SHDL's a lot. When you're at the proper range, if they jump, once you see they're going to laser, just dacus. Idk, it's happened enough times for me to think that the timing is lenient enough to use.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
5) I tried but couldn't get Usmash to duck lasers. Can you get a vid of that? I can probably get the timing down once I see it working.

Oh, the ending animation of Dash Attack can dodge lasers. And shieldgrabs that are too early. It's still not safe at all, though I like the trajectory it sends opponents in.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I don't have any recording equipment :( Ask JJ though, I remember seeing it in one of his videos/clips.

Yeah, dash attack is weird... I think it can have some application (anti's match, for example), but I'm programmed to not use it now so changing that will take some time xD

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
7) Any tips on getting the timing for pummels so that they refresh? Training mode fails as it counts continuous pummels as a consecutive hits regardless of how long you wait between each pummel.

tekkie

Smash Master
I have a habbit of using the d-smash on my opponents as a regular move, Should I only use it for killing?
It's preferable to save it for killing. You'll need it as unstale as possible when you try to kill people. There's nothing worse than nailing a dsmash only for your opponent to recover.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
No pummel tips from me :(

And yeah, the fresher dsmash is for killing the better, but don't hesitate to use it if you have a great opportunity. It'll rack up damage, making it easier to kill, so... yeah.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Nooooooooooooooooo!

**** you wolf boards. I wanted to save my 1000th post for something cool, like videos or something. Not like I have anything to record it with or anyone who I can play against anytime soon, but still...

I need to get vids of me that don't suck. And I always sign on/off spastically lol, but I think I could get 1000 posts by morning. Don't know if I will though... quick, spam the social thread! (well not spam, but yeah)

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
This isn't the social thread D:

I do like waffles. VERY VERY MUCH SO. When we went on vacation to Turkey, I wanted waffles every time we went out. We never had waffles :(

And I think that I can still make a useful thread with my 1000th post. So... I will get started.

JCav

Smash Lord
This isn't the social thread D:

I do like waffles. VERY VERY MUCH SO. When we went on vacation to Turkey, I wanted waffles every time we went out. We never had waffles :(

And I think that I can still make a useful thread with my 1000th post. So... I will get started.

should i stay up for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom