• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread, READ BEFORE MAKING NEW THREADS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Not trying to sound like a jerk but can you tell me why Pikachu is a good secondary character for Wolf?
He's one of the best characters to use vs D3 and with the new CGs/QAC locks he's potentially broken. He can 0-death Falco if you have troubles and he can also do ~70% via CGs to MK if you suck at that match-up.

Also, few people know how to beat a Pikachu.

:059:

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
He's one of the best characters to use vs D3 and with the new CGs/QAC locks he's potentially broken. He can 0-death Falco if you have troubles and he can also do ~70% via CGs to MK if you suck at that match-up.

Also, few people know how to beat a Pikachu.

Thanks man I'll check out Pikachu.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
So, I need some more help.

1) How do I get the pummel rhythm such that each one refreshes?

2) Is it possible to DACUS under Falco's lasers and if so, what's the timing for it? I can't seem to get it.

3) For momentum canceling, how do I get the aerial out as fast as possible? Any tips on the timing? If I do it too early, it never comes out. If I do it too late, I might die. I'm using the GC controller, so it's harder to keep tapping the C stick (Wiimote would be better for this).

4) Does Utilt have a sweetspot or something? When Wolf is underneath the lower platforms on Battlefield and hits an opponent on the platform, his Utilt seems to have some massive knockback. Am I just hallucinating?

5) What is the frame advantage/disadvantage when an opponent smash DIs Wolf's Fsmash or Usmash?

Rob is actually in pretty good shape when you SDI his Dsmash. Wolf doesn't seem to have that luxury, but I want to know how bad it really is.

I've been using hyphen Usmash a LOT lately as a punisher in lieu of Fsmash. It deals 18 damage when fresh, it has the same range as the 15 damage Fsmash (the 10 damage Fsmash has more range), AND it sets up a juggle opportunity. It's absolutely amazing. I now only use Fsmash as a punisher if hyphen Usmash would be out of range.

However, I'm worried that I'll eventually meet an opponent who can SDI up and away from me consistently and punish me instead. They just have to hold that direction and they get out of both moves. T.T I suppose that I'll rely on grabs and the 10 damage Fsmash (last hit only) as punishers against them.

JCav

Smash Lord

can someone confirm this is true?

2) Is it possible to DACUS under Falco's lasers and if so, what's the timing for it? I can't seem to get it.
is this true?

3) For momentum canceling, how do I get the aerial out as fast as possible? Any tips on the timing? If I do it too early, it never comes out. If I do it too late, I might die. I'm using the GC controller, so it's harder to keep tapping the C stick (Wiimote would be better for this).
are you using nair? you can just kinda mash that and it should work

4) Does Utilt have a sweetspot or something? When Wolf is underneath the lower platforms on Battlefield and hits an opponent on the platform, his Utilt seems to have some massive knockback. Am I just hallucinating?
i believe so, and if im not mistaken, ive heard it can also spike. god di?

5) What is the frame advantage/disadvantage when an opponent smash DIs Wolf's Fsmash or Usmash?
well i know they are disadvantages because g&w can punish a wolf f smash with his own f smash oos if the wolf f smash hits the shield. up smash isnt as much

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
@ JimboCav09

3) I use Dair for vertical and Uair for horizontal. I can't release my joystick in time to get Nair FF off fast enough (I have to delay the Nair so I won't do Uair/Bair/Dair, then delay the FF or I'd do a Dair instead), so Uair is better for me.

So, assuming that I'm using the C stick for the aerial, how should I time it? From Brawl's buffering, holding a direction destroys buffering, so if I wanted to buffer an aerial (if it's possible to out of tumblestun), I'd have to get my joystick to neutral, which would slow down my FF.

Gah.

4) Utilt spike was probably god DI. DI aside, it just feels like Utilt has a sweetspot though. I keep getting surprised when I get Utilt kills on Battlefield.

5) The first hits of Fsmash and Usmash might have some hitstun though. That might save Wolf from getting punished TOO hard. I just wanted to know how bad the disadvantage is.

Actually, I wonder if the SDI direction changes if I hyphen Usmash an opponent point blank. Hrmm.

JCav

Smash Lord
well you using u air, i dont have a problem with. its the 2nd best option so its not too bad

as far as when you should input the button, i have no idea. for me i get hit and i hit a button right away. maybe you just have crazy reaction time

and im pretty sure up tilt has a sweetspot

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
3) My reaction time is terribad, so horribad that I have to use a screwy controller setup (it's better for Fsmash punishing and I took out the spring from the R button for faster shielding) AND I've been practicing pre-emptive DI by using the diagonals when I move (example, to move away from an opponent I'll use up and away, to move toward I'll use up and toward).

The problem I have with an early momentum cancel aerial input is when I know I'm going to get hit. As in, I did something stupid like semiscar into a shield or mis-space a Bair and I can see the punishment coming from a mile away. I've actually been delaying the aerial longer than I should just to make sure that it comes out. That's why I'm hoping for some help in timing the aerial itself, perhaps with buffering even.

4) Hrmm. I suppose that I'll try to set up the sweetspot more often; surely there are more opportunities for it than just on platforms. Currently, my rare vertical kills come from DJ Fair punishing an AirDodge and a mis-DIed hyphen Usmash/DACUS. Having a decent vertical kill option would be really nice.

---

To all those who have replied to my questions in this thread, thanks for the help so far. For those that have missed it, my most recent questions are on the previous page.

SelfPossessed said:

Rob is actually in pretty good shape when you SDI his Dsmash. Wolf doesn't seem to have that luxury, but I want to know how bad it really is.

I've been using hyphen Usmash a LOT lately as a punisher in lieu of Fsmash. It deals 18 damage when fresh, it has the same range as the 15 damage Fsmash (the 10 damage Fsmash has more range), AND it sets up a juggle opportunity. It's absolutely amazing. I now only use Fsmash as a punisher if hyphen Usmash would be out of range.

However, I'm worried that I'll eventually meet an opponent who can SDI up and away from me consistently and punish me instead. They just have to hold that direction and they get out of both moves. T.T I suppose that I'll rely on grabs and the 10 damage Fsmash (last hit only) as punishers against them.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord

1: If I've heard right, it's 7 frames in between hits.

2: You can't avoid the more well timed lasers. If he's on the ground he'll hit you. If he gets a silent laser, he'll hit you. The sloppier timed ones you'll avoid though.

3: I personally have no problem using the C-stick... it's just habit to do that if I get hit... but then again, I use the C-stick a lot more than most people, me thinks. Best way is to buffer it.

5: Frame disadvantage on Fsmash, I have no idea, but I'm sure there is one, the only factor in whether or not you get punished is how far away they get knocked. Usmash I have no idea, it could be the same thing. Rob's Dsmash is ridiculous, he's an exception.

The only thing you can do about your Usmash predicament is A) Wait till you actually meet an opponent who can do that or B) Punish with something else so that when they try to SDI/DI your predicted Usmash, it puts you in a better position to follow up (IE, Low Ftilt or something) just mix up what you punish with, makes it easier to follow up with, and less chance of you getting punished for it.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
@ Arcpoint

1) What about animation wise? Do I hit the next pummel after they stop flinching?

3) But to buffer an aerial, I have to release the joystick before the buffer period is over or the buffer is destroyed. When I do that, I delay my FF substantially. How do you do it?

5) Hrmm. Does the first hit of Fsmash/Usmash have more knockback at higher percents? I was under the impression that the knockback was the same, otherwise the second hit would miss without SDI.

I'm going to fool around with point blank hyphen Usmash and DACUS to see if the SDI direction changes.

Grab and Ftilt (maybe Dash Attack if the angle is good for setups) seems to be the way to go for punishing knowledgeable opponents. Far less damage and worse setups than Usmash though. Ah well.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
1. I have no idea, my personal priority when I get a grab is damage, not refreshing moves. You'll have to do some frametesting. (Jcav/PerfectI?)

3. Your first sentenced confused me. But, how I do it: DI input, after I get knocked away I either A) Press down on the control stick and down on the C-stick or B) Press A to do a Nair and shortly after press down on the control stick. Obviously depending on whether I get knocked horizontally or vertically.

5. I'd assume that it had different knockback. It's far easier to get out of it at 150 than it is at 0%. I've actually gotten out of Wolf's Fsmash just by DIing up, no SDI. I think that there's already a fair amount of knockback for the first hit at 0%, it's just that there's another hitbox following it shortly after.

As for comparing other moves to Usmash. If they see it coming, you only get 6% and a possible punishment. I'd say 11% or 16% + Dthrow set up is far better than that =P (you can really get like, 4% just of of pummeling at reasonable percents)

Gindler

Smash Champion
What's the easiest way to cancel wolf's sideB?

I've been told cancelling his "illusion" really helps with recovering.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
@ Arcpoint

1) Frame testing would be awesome. A video demonstrating the perfect timing for it (so I can get an animation cue) would be even better. *hint hint*

As for pummels, I'd rather do 1% and get an extra refresh or two than 4%. Grabs are the most consistent way I can unstale my Bair, which is pretty important considering that unstaled Bair is better for spacing and Bair accounts for half of my kills. I'm almost never in range to do a Jab combo so I can't rely on that (when I am in range for Jab, I usually roll or jump shine away, sometimes mixing it up with roll behind/jump over/walk away/etc.).

3) I must have just pressed the C stick way too early. I was wrong on how buffering works. Apparently, holding a direction does not destroy the buffer when you're in the air like it does on the ground. I mixed it up. I just need to practice timing it I guess. Me and my pathetic reaction time.

5) I meant that if not SDIed, hyphen Usmash is Wolf's best punisher hands down. Range, damage, and setups are all there.

I wonder, at what percents is the second hit of Fsmash and Usmash DIable normally? I could use Usmash as a punisher until that percent as the difficulty of SDIing it means most people will miss it.

@ Gindler

It's generally accepted that mashing the B button for the cancel is not recommended for offline play. Time it. There are two cancels, but both are just a little before Wolf begins to move. For Wifi, mashing it works fine and is actually preferred due to lag spikes.

How to time it is completely personal preference.

Some do it visually and press the B during one portion of the flash animation. Which visual cue you use depends on your reaction time as well; faster people will use a later part of the animation. There is a slight liability with this method in that some TVs will lag a bit, killing your timing.

Some use an auditory cue and listen to the sounds Wolf makes. When practicing this way, close your eyes. Note that in tournaments, this may be a liability due to the volume of the environment.

Some just get the timing down in their fingers. This is preferred if you can do it as the environment will no longer be an issue. You usually start by using visual/audio cues until you can get the timing down to do it without them.

At least, I think that's how you do it. I'm not very good at flash canceling myself though...I'll sometimes be on fire and consistently nail it and other times not be able to do it at all.

Rtype87

Smash Rookie
I picked up Wolf a couple of months ago and he quickly became my main. I practice with others that play regularly too, doing localized tournaments and that kind of stuff. Do you guys have any suggestions on advanced moves and techniques to up my game a little, any tricks you like to play to keep others guessin'?

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Eh, the only thing "advanced" that I do is boost smash, yet I'm still considered a somewhat smart Wolf, so you don't need anything advanced. The regular 'ol game options will do...you just gotta be smart about it. And like, not do the same thing over and over (Bair, or whatever strings of moves you do...)

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
possible way to stop all chains on wolf is to put a damage handicap on you at the start of the match. this is possible for a ton of characters not just wolf.

think about it, would you rather have 60% at the start of every life, or the absolute **** chains that some characters have on you, it would still be a disadvantage but a sure as hell better one.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=230479&page=12
^rules thread where discussion has started

this can help all characters saverly hurt by inescapable chains or locks, i ask you to all look into this as a possability and even back it up in the rules thread if you support this.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Eh, the only thing "advanced" that I do is boost smash, yet I'm still considered a somewhat smart Wolf, so you don't need anything advanced. The regular 'ol game options will do...you just gotta be smart about it. And like, not do the same thing over and over (Bair, or whatever strings of moves you do...)
Ha, yeah I'm considered the same way. A good smart wolf that doesn't do too much of the fancy stuff (although I can now dacit, and boost smash more often than not now)

possible way to stop all chains on wolf is to put a damage handicap on you at the start of the match. this is possible for a ton of characters not just wolf.

think about it, would you rather have 60% at the start of every life, or the absolute **** chains that some characters have on you, it would still be a disadvantage but a sure as hell better one.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=230479&page=12
^rules thread where discussion has started

this can help all characters saverly hurt by inescapable chains or locks, i ask you to all look into this as a possability and even back it up in the rules thread if you support this.
Still wouldn't help vs. D3. All the other stuff really isn't that bad (spam shine lol)

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
From my list of questions...

1) Still need help getting refreshing pummel rhythm.

2) Omni did a DACUS under WOLF'S LASER? 4:23 of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWfyZIMx8Wk So DACUS can duck under a LOT of things with the proper timing?

That makes me wonder, does DACUS have a Z axis property, or does it just duck really low at one part of the animation? I'm actually thinking that the dodge animation comes from the dash attack before it's canceled into the Usmash. Dash attack is really funny.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
1) This is far from perfect, but I usually take whatever song is playing at the moment and try to divide it into enough parts that it would work well for pummels. If that doesn't work, I'd practice it a bit in training mode and listen to the sound wolf's knee makes when it hits. Find a good rhythm for that, and keep it in mind when in a match.

2) That laser was aerial, so about the same thing as avoiding Falco's laser. Also, Omniswell is amazing.

Interesting thought with the Z axis thing... we should definitely take a look at that. Can you check for it without hacks, or does the camera not go far enough back?

JCav

Smash Lord
guys this is a serious question no bull****

but what skin do you use?

i just wanna know

i use white :)

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Lol xD At least it's okay now that we have a social thread.

I use regular, but I like the hacked textures a lot more. It's tough to decide out of all of then, but I'd probably have to go with pimp wolf. Piiiiiiiimp.

And JCav, you're avoiding the thread I made for you :(

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
Green Wolf :x.
I know it's a very overused skin, but that was the reason why I picked up Wolf, so I can't just drop it^^.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Snake doesn't cover the DDD match-up that Wolf has a problem with. While it's an improvement, you want the secondary to cover things you can't normally do well with Wolf. In my opinion, not a good idea. If I really liked Snake though, I'd probably do it anyway.

Alain

Smash Cadet
Thanks, do you know what characters would be good options for a second? I heard Pikachu but do you think you guys could give me a couple of options that would work as a second as oppose to just one. Greatly appreciated!

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Well, I don't know what possessed me, but I decided to secondary DDD instead of using someone to counter him. I don't generally care for counterpicking.

So that's definitely a question for the other guys. They can answer that better than I could.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Who's that directed at? If it's directed at me, Imma just **** them with the infinite. As for the Pikachu, Omniswell taught me no fear. I'll use rockets.

:bigrocket
Win quote is win. But wait, what infinite now?

And yeah, it honestly seems like Kirby would be the best secondary for Wolf then.

Alain

Smash Cadet
Thanks, do you know what characters would be good options for a second? I heard Pikachu but do you think you guys could give me a couple of options that would work as a second as oppose to just one. Greatly appreciated!
I figure that Wolf's problem match ups are Metaknight, Kingdedede, Falco, Game&Watch and Rob. From what i have seen for their character forums is that 5 out of 6 of em have some difficulty with ice climbers. (thou on metaknight match up discussion metaknight had advantage over EVERY character except iceclimbers who was just rated as a fair fight [50:50] which made me lol)

Other than that i do not see any one character giving all these guys problms. Also i've found that pikachu hasnt really been discussed much by either metaknights or dedede's. :(
Meh... i answered my own question..looks like it's ice climbers for me.

Laem

Smash Champion
^ Or MK(its true) :p anyways.... Why doesn't tele/lightstepping work on speed 1/2 and 1/4? Also.... is there actually any1 who's capable of doing the nair lock?

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I am. We are. It's not difficult to do. Why?

Telestepping and lighstepping should work, no matter what speed. I'll look to see if I can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom