• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread, READ BEFORE MAKING NEW THREADS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

=)@MePlz

Smash Apprentice
Wolf is learning curve just to play with really isnt that high,but if you want to be really good yes its really high,ive been using wolf for 7months now i think and i could get much better.natrual things that u can learn that will help your wolf would be dacus,shorthop,fastfall,spacing,shieldgrabing(works like a charm),pivot grab-i actually do it with wolf(mr. t rex) and yea,i think i got most..
What about secondaries?

I have ROB and DK, but i would prefer ONE secondary (mid-high tier).

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
What does R.O.B. have over D3 anyway? I know his lasers go through waddle-dees but D3's range is so much longer than R.O.B. so when it's up close it's very difficult.

=)@MePlz

Smash Apprentice
What does R.O.B. have over D3 anyway? I know his lasers go through waddle-dees but D3's range is so much longer than R.O.B. so when it's up close it's very difficult.
ROB's Advantages:
  • Better aerial game than D3 (D3's Bair can be annoying, but ROB can deal with it)
  • Edgeguarding. D3's recovery isn't bad, but it's easy to intercept.
  • Being campy.

I don't want this to become a matchup thread, so we'll leave it as that.

The matchup can be neutral (50:50) or D3's (60:40).

It's all in counterpicking (rainbow cruise anyone?)

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
Simple question to simple answer, no more need be said. Thanks

mith132

Smash Apprentice
MK is a good secondary for everyone for obvious reasons. I'm not so sure about Marth, but he seems viable.

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
Recovery with Wolf is not bad. You just need to practice it a little

Honeythief

Smash Cadet
Alright, I have simple question in hopes of a simple answer ^^. With my wolf, when I shine some one, I usually do a forward on them directly after. Is there anything else interesting that can be done after the little stun?

Thank you ^^

Honeythief

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
Forward smash or tilt? I like using the tilt personally but if they still are in range then you might be able to get a down smash off.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
can wolf dacus without the z button being pressed? i know wario, snake, and i believe falco can

also, does wolf have any move that are useful for b-reversal?

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
First off you can change your controls, I use the R button for my grabs which means I use it instead of Z to DAC. Second, the B reversal is only for neutral B, which means blaster only. You can B reversal the blaster to change momentum.

*PALADIN*

Smash Apprentice
hey guys i just now picked up wolf and i heard somthing about wolf getting chain grabed by Pika, is that true? if so, how bad percentage wise? dont mean to be a noob at wolf here just trying to learn.

dont mean to mess your disscusion on a different topic.

tekkie

Smash Master
How fast is the button combination for item boosting? Like, DACUS but really **** fast or something? I keep trying it, but nothing's happening.

topiser

Smash Rookie
I just stumbled upon vanish (side b-in case i got the name wrong :p) canceling and was wondering if there is any real use to it?

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I just stumbled upon vanish (side b-in case i got the name wrong :p) canceling and was wondering if there is any real use to it?
I assume you're talking about semi-/scarring? *Side b is called Wolf flash for future reference*

Or are you talking about light-stepping?

tedeth

Smash Master
I think he means flash cancelling.

If you time it correctly you can get alot of extra lateral distance from the side b. Definitely useful if you can do it consistantly.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Well, if it is that, I honestly don't find any use, and neither do I see it being used. I myself have started to find the timing, because I'm so amazing (in other words, I jam the B button like a maniac). But I don't find any point in it other than it looking cool.

tedeth

Smash Master
I dont see how you can say it's completely useless. In some situations it could mean the difference between getting edgehogged and making it back onstage. If you're not good at it then it might be a bit reckless because wrong timing could give you the **** cancel that IS useless, but when done properly it increases lateral recovery substantially.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
Flash canceling can be useful, but it's rather situational. Here's a few situations off the top of my head.
1) Assuming good DI, if the opponent knocks you off stage and then follows you off stage for the gimp, you can DJ (possibly with Shine) -> Flash cancel onto the stage.
2) Start a side B when above the ledge. Use the short flash cancel to grab the ledge or the long flash cancel to get onto the stage (preferably onto a platform).
3) SH Bair -> DJ Shine -> Flash cancel escape.

If only you could gain control of Wolf right after a cancel...imagine flash cancel wavedashes. o_O Wolf would be broken then. Ah well.

----------

Couple of questions.

1) Can Wolf do a boost Pivot Grab like Falco can? If so, is there any combo potential, perhaps after a grab release on certain characters? Maybe we can buffer the boosted Pivot Grab?

2) I asked this before but, has anyone tried experimenting with footstool combos? Wolf unfortunately lacks good vertical momentum stopping moves, the only two being up B and side B. I can hit with side B after an aerial footstool (not sure if it's guaranteed), but the damage is pitiful and I can get punished right after. :( Maybe there's a possibility dealing with footstool -> fire bouncing?

3) Has anyone tried looking for Dair combos? It has a good chunk of hitstun at certain percents. I think Captain Falcon's Dair has somewhat similar hitstun, and he has a Dair -> Footstool -> (finish combo) at 65%. That's a stock. Unfortunately, Wolf's doesn't seem to AC like Falcon's...

4) What kind of shield pressure game does Wolf have aside from Bair? The only time I've seen shields get small is against defensive opponents like Snake and D3 if they shield the Bairs overzealously. Is there anything else Wolf can do here? He seems to lack good multihit moves, a good poke move with IASA frames, a move that really depletes shield, and a way to seriously punish a shield break. :(

5) Why did the weekly move discussion die? Other boards are doing something similar and I think every bit helps. I really wish that threads like it (such as matchups and zones) had a separate thread for each though...

castorpollux

Smash Champion
flash cancelling is very very useful. If i can flash cancel consistently, a whole world of options open up. My wolf would be a really really annoying camper against some characters like d3.

I mean... can't u immagine? Blastering D3 until he gets near u, then u jumpshine -> long flash cancel? THat's awesome!

topiser

Smash Rookie
flash cancelling is very very useful. If i can flash cancel consistently, a whole world of options open up. My wolf would be a really really annoying camper against some characters like d3.

I mean... can't u immagine? Blastering D3 until he gets near u, then u jumpshine -> long flash cancel? THat's awesome!
Well I doubt it would be hard to learn as like in 10 minutes of training I got either short or long flash cancel 9/10 times. Hardest part would be from not doing a short cancel but you could do mind games and switch it up.
But I'm not sure exactly how well the tactic would work overall( but it does sound great in theory) Anyways thanks for all the responses :)

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
7th and 8th question, in addition to the 6 I've asked already but haven't been answered.

7) I read somewhere that when someone uses an AD and lands from a low altitude, he receives 0 frames of landing lag. Is this true? I thought any landing of any height caused 2-3 frames of lag.

8) Does Wolf's Fair outrange MK's Fair, or must we just get lucky and hit inbetween his Fair strikes?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Blastering D3 until he gets near u, then u jumpshine -> long flash cancel? THat's awesome!
This sounds like fun. You can SH shine then sideB (full) on BF to the opposite low platform, and if you're closer to the ledge you can FH shine then sideB to the top platform, without much lag. I'm going to try this out tomorrow, it sounds like a fun way to stall.

EDIT @ SelfPosessed: I think that landing lag is the same no matter what, or else there would be a lot more people SHADing and all.

:059:

castorpollux

Smash Champion
yeah landing lag is the same no matter what... except in a few special cases such as DK which actually can reduce startup lag on utilt and dsmash

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
^ How does that thing with DK work?

And about what I said the post before, against Atomsk today I did significantly better by being gay on BF and using FH shine > sideB to a platform. This actually works well enough, it's gay, but it works.

:059:

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
What's the point of jump shining? What makes it different from anything else and why?

I've seen this mentioned a lot, and I guess I know what it is, but... Why?

castorpollux

Smash Champion
What's the point of jump shining? What makes it different from anything else and why?

I've seen this mentioned a lot, and I guess I know what it is, but... Why?
1) it stops all aerial approaches
2) it's a great way to escape being pressured

u know the standard lucario approach? the fair -> dair. Jumpshine OOS obliterates that approach entirely.

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
Shine is amazing, it stops everything! I kind of find it to be a different play style for myself. I like to move into shining a lot, then waiting for the right opening to dsmash or something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom