• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

Sorry, but how do you phantasm and cancel some lag or something with Falco, so you can like up smash out of phantasm immediately?
There are only a few things I can think of that matches what you are saying.

Falco cannot cancel his phantasm in the same sense as canceling a fox/falco shine in melee by jumping. He can "cancel" the move as in stop his moving forward by pressing B at the right moment in the middle of the move. It should probably be called phantasm shortening. Because you are really just shortening the forward distance, but you still go through the same ending lag at all three possible shortening spots. In that sense, you are not really canceling any lag at all.

There is a nice mechanic one can abuse on his phantasm to help reduce the total duration of the move thus making it faster to complete. If one simply phantasm's on the ground, the whole moves duration is ~60 frames. By jumping, then going directly into a phantasm after falco leaves the ground you actually end up completing phantasm 7 frames faster. As in short hop + phantasm = ~53 frames. So, despite the fact you are actually adding lag by jumping you are still reducing your ending lag enough to be faster. The jump and phantasm immediately after the jump is commonly referred to as Instant Aerial Phantasm (IAP).

To recap, there is no true canceling of the move. You can only shorten the moves forward movement by pressing B at the right moment in the middle of the move. The only real reduction in lag comes from jumping + phantasm compared to simply phantasm on the ground.

Trollby

Smash Apprentice
Hello. I have two questions. One, what's the most efficient way to practice Buffer Dash Grab? I seem to have a lot of difficulty doing that... I can always do the first 2 or 3 but never get another grab after that and TWO, I know there's a grab release on MK, as in, it will air release him and I'll be able to BDACUS or DACUS and it SHOULD hit? How does that work?

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
If you grab release an MK, and he uses the jump button to mash out, he will air release. This links into a guaranteed (B)DACUS. Personally, I find it easiest to DACUS out of the grab release. Also, I have Z set to attack, which imo makes it easier to DACUS the full length.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Buffer dash grab has no use in itself. Every situation where you can use it you can also use a well timed dash grab.

Also if MK's feet are moving when you hold him he will always air release, even without hitting jump.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Buffer dash grab has no use in itself. Every situation where you can use it you can also use a well timed dash grab.

Also if MK's feet are moving when you hold him he will always air release, even without hitting jump.

Dont you have to buffer a boost grab to cg marth after the first one?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
That's a common misconception : you have to do a boost grab, yes. But it doesn't have to be buffered at all, you just need to have good timing.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
Does anyone know how to fix my BDACUS? I've been practicing it, but have been doing the Gatling Combo instead. And yes, I am inputting everything correctly, I believe it's just the timing of my second C-Stick input.
Edit: I've been practicing out of the D-throw and out of the spot dodge.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Just keep practicing and you'll get it, and I'd like to suggest C-Stick down -> C-stick up. It doesn't make anything different, but it just makes it easier on your thumb.

You have to move your thumb down anyway, why not hit that c-stick while you're at it.

Thor

Smash Champion
Is there a way for people to DI the d-throw CG to end earlier? More specifically, is there a specific way to regrab Kirby? The guide says "max grabs = 4" but I can't seem to regrab this Kirby I know ever (like, maybe regrab after the first dthrow at 0%, but never 3 grabs). Does this need to be a standing grab, walking grab, boost grab, dash grab, dashing shield grab, something I've not listed, or can Kirby DI the throw to escape so I should just look for a follow-up? An if it's DIable, does this apply to other characters with small regrab totals?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Walk or Dash for Kirby.
It is impossible to standing regrab characters who are not Fox, Falco, Wolf, Sheik, or Squirtle.

Di DOES affect the direction, but not enough for the grab to flat out miss.

Even with turbo set to Jump, While holding Up+Toward Falco, I can get 4 grabs from 0% fine.

Just work on your timing.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Wii mote sideways, no.

Wii Chucks, yes, if you use shake smash.
But it's still incredibly hard.

Gcc/ CC/ CCPro work the best.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Not really sure where to put this since it's the opposite side of the spectrum for me but...
Can I please get some insight from you Falco's on the Zss matchup , Seeing as I really struggle with those harder match ups Id like to see if I can get some tidbits or something of the things you guys are looking to exploit during the different stages of a match especially when ZSS has suit pieces.
If anyone has time could they please just take a look at G1 from my set vs a Falco from my last tourney.

G2 not really note worthy I got my worst matchups and was a little demoralized by that point.
http://www.twitch.tv/acgamesonline/b/513309844
6hrs and 53 min

Also if this needs to be moved somewhere else or something it's no problem just let me know.
Thank you in advanced.

I think these commentators are a bit bothersome lol
Not really sure where to put this since it's the opposite side of the spectrum for me but...
Can I please get some insight from you Falco's on the Zss matchup , Seeing as I really struggle with those harder match ups Id like to see if I can get some tidbits or something of the things you guys are looking to exploit during the different stages of a match especially when ZSS has suit pieces.
If anyone has time could they please just take a look at G1 from my set vs a Falco from my last tourney.

G2 not really note worthy I got my worst matchups and was a little demoralized by that point.
http://www.twitch.tv/acgamesonline/b/513309844
6hrs and 53 min

Also if this needs to be moved somewhere else or something it's no problem just let me know.
Thank you in advanced.
Your first match against ZSS first stock I thought was perfectly fine until you tried only going for KO attempts when you shouldn't have (Utilt). Even if you have to work her up to 200% before getting a random dash attack to KO, Falco can keep winning again and again. When you had her on the ledge you are winning. It might not seem like it until you get the stock, but you had the advantage and were winning pretty solidly. If she wants to live life on the ledge forever let her. You just need to hit her off again if she comes back on. Otherwise, keep up your safe strats imo as Falco. If your opponent is safe enough to never let you get the chance to get an Usmash, then so be it. You'll get it eventually when you punish with something easier like ftilt dash attack when they give it to you or you put them into a spot where they have to get hit. Or you Bair as they come back to the stage.

Overall, typical falco aliments imo. The urge I suppose to want to have to close out the stock by putting yourself in unfavorable situations to risk getting your KO multiple times consecutively. Overall, I think you were doing fine until you were putting yourself in bad spots like FH Fair only to miss ZSS on the platform. Plus, don't dacus after every dthrow I swear it felt like 80% or something were those attempts (even at non-KO percents).

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
I think these commentators are a bit bothersome lol

Your first match against ZSS first stock I thought was perfectly fine until you tried only going for KO attempts when you shouldn't have (Utilt). Even if you have to work her up to 200% before getting a random dash attack to KO, Falco can keep winning again and again. When you had her on the ledge you are winning. It might not seem like it until you get the stock, but you had the advantage and were winning pretty solidly. If she wants to live life on the ledge forever let her. You just need to hit her off again if she comes back on. Otherwise, keep up your safe strats imo as Falco. If your opponent is safe enough to never let you get the chance to get an Usmash, then so be it. You'll get it eventually when you punish with something easier like ftilt dash attack when they give it to you or you put them into a spot where they have to get hit. Or you Bair as they come back to the stage.

Overall, typical falco aliments imo. The urge I suppose to want to have to close out the stock by putting yourself in unfavorable situations to risk getting your KO multiple times consecutively. Overall, I think you were doing fine until you were putting yourself in bad spots like FH Fair only to miss ZSS on the platform. Plus, don't dacus after every dthrow I swear it felt like 80% or something were those attempts (even at non-KO percents).
umm this is really awkward but I am the zss I was asking for insight on what you falcos are thinking /how you approach the match to see if there was some form of tactics or thinking of my own I can come up with.

I am a player who has been going to tournaments for like over 2 years but despite all the personal progression I've made there are still alot of crucial mistakes that I make that end in stocks or sets.

my worst match up By far is ICs since one mistake is death ,after that is falco and then Mk? Wouldn't know after that those are just my main concerns.

anyways ima read what you said over and try to gather what I can from it sorry for the mix up xD

Oh, lol After reading that I can see how it might be someone asking from the ZSS side. But, being in the falco discussion I kept thinking about a falco player since I only saw the first match at that time. Yeah... I am not too certain from her perspective on what she would like to do against falco.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
umm this is really awkward but I am the zss I was asking for insight on what you falcos are thinking /how you approach the match to see if there was some form of tactics or thinking of my own I can come up with.

I am a player who has been going to tournaments for like over 2 years but despite all the personal progression I've made there are still alot of crucial mistakes that I make that end in stocks or sets.

my worst match up By far is ICs since one mistake is death ,after that is falco and then Mk? Wouldn't know after that those are just my main concerns.

anyways ima read what you said over and try to gather what I can from it sorry for the mix up xD
You should probably power shield / air dodge those lasers better if you're going to approach Falco through the air. For that, a stage like Battlefield probably isn't the best choice too if you're going to approach like that. Otherwise you can crawl underneath lasers and D-tilt Falco once you get close enough.
The other spot where you had the most trouble was recovering onto the stage. The biggest mistake you were making was shielding once you went on the ledge as the Falco kept on getting a grab on you and pushing you off stage again. I would spot dodge first, predict the grab, then respond from there.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
appreciate the responses and I can agree to a certain extent. The shielding when I got onto the stage was basically me thinking id rather get grabbed while at kill% as opposed to risk a spot dodge and get up/down smashed I can try that sometime now that I think about it doesn't sound to dangerous lol. Yolo spot dodge is what I'll call it . I just really have issues with that sort of seemingly effortless pressure his lasers give him.

LOL.

Darktega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktega13
Hey , fellow Falcos, haven't played Brawl in a while and I wanna get into it again beacuse there's a tournament (a good one) in a week and well... Hype. Any recommended training session? I forgot how to Brawl Falco, lol.
Also, on the side of the mental game, any advice on this? I can't seem to concentrate on what my opponent is doing, can't really read habits, I sometimes concentrate too much on me.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
appreciate the responses and I can agree to a certain extent. The shielding when I got onto the stage was basically me thinking id rather get grabbed while at kill% as opposed to risk a spot dodge and get up/down smashed I can try that sometime now that I think about it doesn't sound to dangerous lol. Yolo spot dodge is what I'll call it . I just really have issues with that sort of seemingly effortless pressure his lasers give him.

LOL.
Sorry for the late reply. For some reason, it never showed up in my notifications. I guessed that spot dodge might be appropriate because the commentators stated that the Falco had the habit of punishing with a grab, and the Falco throughout the whole match was punishing with a grab pretty much all the time. I would suggest using shield, and if you get grabbed one too many times, to then use the spot dodge.
And from what I can see and from experience, most ZSS's have either walk up'd powershielded lasers as well as using crawls to get around lasers. I would suggest really closing distance when Falco is just beginning his short hop as that'll force him into a more awkward position. Just make sure you don't get hit by the second laser because you'll then be jabbed and grabbed. But then again, I'm a Falco main and don't really know ZSS's options. :/

Hey , fellow Falcos, haven't played Brawl in a while and I wanna get into it again beacuse there's a tournament (a good one) in a week and well... Hype. Any recommended training session? I forgot how to Brawl Falco, lol.
Also, on the side of the mental game, any advice on this? I can't seem to concentrate on what my opponent is doing, can't really read habits, I sometimes concentrate too much on me.
On reading the opponent, I would suggest seeing how they do these three things. 1: How they approach. (aerial, run shield, run grab, etc.) 2: How they camp or approach. (shield, spot dodge, special, grab, aerial, etc. 3: What they do under pressure. (shield grab, shield OoS, roll, spot dodge, shield, etc.) I normally go into mindless SHL mixed with SHDL in order to see how they'll perform aspect 1 and aspect 2. Opponents often don't camp unless they're douchy Meta Knight's with the damage percentage lead. Jab cancels and mix ups often show patterns in spot dodging, shielding, etc which lead to punishes.

Last edited:

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Falco has been argued as our worst match up lol ;p. when suit pieces are gone our OoS options aren't that great...well I guess short hop up air out of shield is ok but a pain to do fast enough sometimes (for me anyways still working on that one)

There is also the fact that while Suit piece is an amazing OoS option for us Falcos TrollFlector puts a stop to that pretty easily even if Zss is trying to establish a wall with them or bait the enemy into something else. I need to practice anticipating the side b more as well so I can just jab the phantasm damage. All the Falcos in my region are different which makes for an interesting matchup learning curve but I don't get the opportunity to face them as often as i'd like/desperately need.
T.T
Anyways thanks for the reply greatly appreciated...weird I got Falco posts but not Zss side posts Lol.

Last edited:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
@ Darktega Darktega Practice your SHL/ SHDL/ IAP/ Chaingrab and CG Followups, Jab Cancelling, Phantasm Cancelling, shield dashing, buffering and etc.
Just get a general flow of Falco going again and you'll be fine, just running through the basic things in training mode (or with CPU for the proper staling cg) can greatly improve your game from how it was a few days ago.

@ pichuthedk pichuthedk Learn to Di Falco's Down Throw (Up and Toward Falco or Down and Away), and side b through the stage more, but only when Falco is spacing himself away from the ledge to avoid aerial planking, etc,

I've been lazy with replying because I didn't think these boards were still active.

Darktega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktega13
Thanks both of you, @ MoosyDoosy MoosyDoosy and @ 1PokeMastr 1PokeMastr , I'm already working on my Falco. it still feels a little weird but I guess it will be all about practicing with a cpu and friends. (Obviously, applying reads with my friends).

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Good god, I made this thread five and a half years ago. Time flies.

I've cleaned up the OP just a tad.

@ Darktega Darktega On the mental game, one thing that I believe is understated and valuable to any Falco player is understanding how your opponent reacts to pressure.

For instance, understanding how your opponents react to laser pressures is key to tracing a pattern in how they'll approach you. Best of luck bud.

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
Can anyone explain to me how to charge a BDACUS? I've been looking it up and I saw Blub holding L while doing it but I havent gotten it to work once. Appreciate the help

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
For gamecube controllers you can either..

Buffer a dash + c-stick down -> up.
Buffer a dash + c-stick up -> up.

The smash stick on the classic controller/ ccpro works identically to the c-stick.

On wii mote/ wii mote nunchuk, it is not possible.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
For gamecube controllers you can either..

Buffer a dash + c-stick down -> up.
Buffer a dash + c-stick up -> up.

The smash stick on the classic controller/ ccpro works identically to the c-stick.

On wii mote/ wii mote nunchuk, it is not possible.
He was asking how to charge it with L as BluB does it. ;) I've honestly never tried, but if I was to hazard a guess I would think you would hold L at the same time as the second Up C stick input?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I charge it with A.

BluB probably has L set to A.

You charge it like any other smash, just have to be fast.

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
How viable is footstooling a character after cg spike? obviously you cant do this with all characters, but usually they will have to attack to mess you up if you go for it, and if they do they might not have enough time after to recover anyway, if you do get it they are stunned for a second and most likely fall to their death. worst comes to worst you both die, Seems like a solid probability of something good happening, any thoughts? might work best on characters like marth, or diddy

Top Bottom