• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace

I don't think anyone can without taking a guess at it, we can't really know for sure.

And honestly, if you want to better your recovery, a difference that minute won't better a move that means death for you at least 50% of the time. You're much better off learning the Phantasm cancels and finding holes in your opponent's walls (or in the vs MK case, learning how to correctly eat a tornado).
I understand what you're saying and trust me, I know better than to use Firebird unless I absolutely have to. I can Phantasm cancel, long and short and pretty much will. I sat down and just went at it until I became well-versed. However Phantasm doesn't save you from everything. Its rare that you'd ever be in this situation but when your below the ledge and at those weird angles the "Curved" Firebird can save you (granted, you haven't been stage spiked by now or gimped". There's no harm in learning it. It may be entirely situational but once I've mastered it ill be glad I did. Because you can only benefit from learning a new technique if you know when and how to use it even if its minimal.

Denzi

Smash Master
Oh, I assumed you knew the curved firebird and were trying to get more applications out of it or something. It's useful, but only in those few situations.

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
No problem. I've been working hard at not being a Falco noob lately. My first tournament as all Falco will be Saturday so I'm really excited. I took a break from tournaments to practice and get my head back in the game after a few embarrasing losses in the last 3 tournaments I went to. I'm not expecting anything. I'm confident but more or less I just want confirmation that switching to Falco was the correct choice.

Falco boards give me your blessing <_<

Also Denzi how much do you know about the Olimar matchup. I need to know what stages to pick/avoid.

Any stage that basically ruins olimar's ground game and recovery, but keeps your own in tack. But, that is really difficult because of how linear Falco and Olimar are. One bad stage for one ends up being a bad stage for the other.

In my opinion, I would say go with RC. It seems a fairly safe choice as Falco is still very good in the air while Olimar is not as great. Espically if you come from underneath him. Another aspect is that because of the stage lacks so many ledges, it really messes up olimar more so because at least Falco has 2 fairly good recover options (compared to olimar) while Olimar is stuck with a 2nd jump and a medicore UpB.

I'd say SV is a fairly good stage. The center platform makes it slightly more difficult for Olimar to predict your recovery, but you don't get overly ***** on platforms like on BF. It can also mess up Olimars camping because he has to jump a little bit higher to throw pikmin at you, and at that height reflector would hit them right back to him. Or if he camps on the platform, simply phantasm underneath the platform to avoid the pikmin. Perfect set-up for you to be at.

Other stages I am not really sure about. But, those two in particular have helped me out a lot in the past.

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace

You are so right about both characters being linear because I'm toyed around with some other stages and it was just handicaps all around.

I tried Frigate because of the lack of a ledge on one side of the stage but I ended up having to recover on the stage with Phantasm sometimes and Oli really doesn't have issues smacking Falco out of Phantasm.

I liked the idea of Rainbow Cruise so I'll try it.

Thank you for the advice.

Also against Game and Watch is seems like Battlefield and stages with a lot of platforms seem to be REALLY bad for Falco. What would you reccomend for this matchup. I'm very used to just going Snake but I want to try this matchup.

Also against Game and Watch is seems like Battlefield and stages with a lot of platforms seem to be REALLY bad for Falco. What would you reccomend for this matchup. I'm very used to just going Snake but I want to try this matchup.
I do not have much G&W experience. So my advice will be nullified by anyone who has played the match-up more. To me, G&W is really bad if you use lasers. Sure, if he uses the bucket he gets them, but after awhile he cannot pick up anymore and therefore gets wrecked by lasers. Plus, the bucket can no longer be used for braking I think, G&W just got easier to kill.

So with that in my mind, I go for regular falco stages. JJ, Pictochat, FD, SV, etc.

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
Hmm well that part is true. GaW has to really work to get a Bucket KO. Thing is I would think we'd be killing him vertically more than horizontally considering F-smash is hard enough to land already <_< Also Bucket Braking doesn't halt vertical momentum like it does vertically. I could see FD and SV being pretty legit. Not sure about Japes though. Guess I'll have to do some extensive research on that MU. So much to do before the big day.

HotWings

Smash Ace
I was thinking of starting to main falco (not decided yet but really thinking about going strict falco) so i was wondering should i change my name or keep it? If i did change it what sounds better... Fried Chicken, Country Fried, Country Fried Chicken.

Im not sure which one sounds better... oh if if i did change my name to one of them i would make my sig be a falco useing his upB lol.

Oh btw isnt falco faster than fox? Or does falco combo better? What are the pros and cons of fox and falco or... if you can think of a better combo and fast character then please tell me.

Thanks ;)

Keep the name, it's good. Fox is faster overall compared to Falco, but Falco is a lot more disruptive to his opponents. Not really sure how else to describe it.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Yeah i see what you mean ~Eryth~. I guess im just going to have to sit in front of my wii and keep messing around with the characters until i finally decide on which 1 i feel best with. Oh and this time i really want to make sure because im sick and tired of switching mains. I want to be at least decent already xD.

Anyways.. thanks for the help
~Eryth~

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace

Fox is faster in terms of running speed and overall mobility. Both are very good at Comboing. Falco has the CG and some other combos Fox has a few tricks himself. Both are light and fall fast in the air. However Fox gets wrecked by Shiek and Pikachu because of this. Falco goes even with Shiek and has it slightly better against Fox.

Fox is better at killing because his Up-Smash is ungodly disjointed and powerful and his moves combo into it. His recovery is noticably better than Falco's also. The distance on Fox Illusion and Firefox is noticably greater than Falcos. And he can Shine Stall and use Fair to augment his jump.

However Falco is much better at camping and playing defensively. His moves have slightly better range and much better priority. Falco also isn't as linear as Fox and has a much easier time controlling the flow of the match.

The styles of play here are different. Fox is kind of a hit and run character and moves much faster. He's peppering opponents with Blaster shots while moving around and waiting for the chance to get some quick strikes. Falco is slower but uses his great camping and keep away game to control the match up.

I like how Falco is more his own character now. I like Fox also both are fun in my opinion.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
They discuss all kinds of things they do not want other Falcos to know. For no apparent reason, really. Backrooms should be viewable by anyone.

But yeah miraculously they're actually doing things, props to that.

SSSnake

Smash Journeyman
They discuss all kinds of things they do not want other Falcos to know. For no apparent reason, really. Backrooms should be viewable by anyone.

honestly, i think that the bbr should keep its info if it wants to. i mean, if you made some kind of trick that could beat match tornado (like mid-mach tornado shield and u-smash),
than they would want to keep it seret. at least for now...

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988

It's a habit of character mains to keep strategies secret to have the element of surprise that will boost their tournament performance.

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
Hey, is it possible to escape Zero Suit Samus's d-smash lock as Falco?
I can't seem to do anything about it =(

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You should be able to escape at 60%.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
I feel like I have succeeded with the BR :)

I actually have a few more threads to make (Stages, IRL Stage Striking, and a Video's of Interest thread.)

Denzi

Smash Master
I feel like I have succeeded with the BR :)

I actually have a few more threads to make (Stages, IRL Stage Striking, and a Video's of Interest thread.)
I'd go with the last first because even though we don't have a(n up to date) stage thread, there seems to be a general consensus on where to go and when.

PZ

Smash Lord
Is Bthrow<SHDL(the wrong way to make sure the lasers hit the opponent if they dont dodge)<BDACUS a puesudo combo or does it not work period?

Also DACUS may seem easier then BDACUS but thats only becuase DACUS rely on the speed of hitting up c-stick while BDACUS relys on getting the input correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfOAByZDXpQ

Look how falco's DACUS ends on the left side of the triangle and how BDACUS ends on inside of the triangle so basically BDACUS has more range but DACUS still shoud use if its not after the lag of an attack. You can BDACUS after anything basically just make sure you mastered DACUS then it becomes a OOS option(not recommended but something to thinK about when facing a retreating mk nado or anything else like camping). SHDL<BDACUS <3 even if I dont do it right.

Denzi

Smash Master
Is Bthrow<SHDL(the wrong way to make sure the lasers hit the opponent if they dont dodge)<BDACUS a puesudo combo or does it not work period?

It really depends on how they DI the Bthrow. If they DI up there's no way it'll work.

Sph34r

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't it look like the actual UPSMASH comes out before where Falco finishes? Like sure, he ends up inside the triangle, but I think the attack comes out before that. Or am I blind

Denzi

Smash Master
Doesn't it look like the actual UPSMASH comes out before where Falco finishes? Like sure, he ends up inside the triangle, but I think the attack comes out before that. Or am I blind
Nah it comes out earlier in the BDACUS because it gets charged during the regular DACUS. You can actually charge the BDACUS too.

lucha5

Banned via Warnings
its way easier to shdl with the cc pro imo. tho its harder 4 me to dacus 0.o, idk havnt really used it 100%,

Acton

Smash Journeyman
I've got three questions first two has to do with marth second is just a question in general

First is, exactly how does one chain grab marth? Does it have to do with move decay, where the first two grabs are walking chain grabs then the last two-three are dash chain grabs? Is the chain grab on marth very % specific at where you need to start the chain grab at?

Second is about using reflector to disrupt peoples horizontal recovery off the stage. DEHF does it a few times in this video, as well as the chain grab against marth(Mike Haze). Is that a legit thing to do in general? I never use it, and it seems like a good idea maybe? =s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrAY-qxDt7o

My last question is a tech related skill that I saw in this video that some people have brought up but I've never really looked into. Using gatling combo even when your opponent shields the dash attack. I've been told that its possible to do gatling combo without hitting anything at all, its just a lot easier to do gatling combo when the dash hits.

Obviously being able to do the upsmash even if your oppnent powershields the dash attack is good for a surprise attack. How do I do it?

Also quick fourth question. I've been trying to mix up my phantasms by canceling them, and I know how to do the shortest one, but I can't get the timing down for the mid and long phantasm cancel. I know people cant explain to me how its done because its just timing, but how did you guys go about learning the timing for each cancel? =s

BluB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Crazy_Arni
1. Do boost grabs or buffered dash grabs. About the % - I don't think it really matters where you start but iirc you can only cg marth till about 30% but I'm not really sure about that.

2. I think that's situnational but could be useful if marth doesn't have his 2nd jump and gets in a position like that.

3. Press the buttons a bit slower. For example if you use Dash -> C-Down + Z-Up for the dacus. When you want to do the gatling combo you let a split second pass between C-Down and Z-Up.

4. There are only 2 Phantasm cancels - long and short one. Just go to trainingsmode and practice. I think that's the easiest way to get the right timing.

Top Bottom