• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Yeah you will want to Full Hop a lot more than usual.

That was a fun match to watch, I remember I saw that one a while ago. Sort of boring to watch but it was interesting XD. I <3 MikeHaze's Shieldbreakers.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Does Marth's Counter have any bucket-breaking properties? I know G&W's down special cancels all momentum and Fox's reflector cancels vertical momentum. It seems to me like Marth's counter would have some of those properties........

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Does Marth's Counter have any bucket-breaking properties? I know G&W's down special cancels all momentum and Fox's reflector cancels vertical momentum. It seems to me like Marth's counter would have some of those properties........
Marth's special moves do not have such properties.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I know this has probably been asked but can you use Marth's counter to avoid taking knockback/damage from a C4 that's been put on you (when the Snake tries to set it off), like you can counter a Falco laser for example? I've never tried it and the thought just came to me a couple of days ago, but haven't seen it tried and don't know if it's because it's not possible, or because the timing would just be so hard or something. Stupid question yeah, but just wondering.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I know this has probably been asked but can you use Marth's counter to avoid taking knockback/damage from a C4 that's been put on you (when the Snake tries to set it off), like you can counter a Falco laser for example? I've never tried it and the thought just came to me a couple of days ago, but haven't seen it tried and don't know if it's because it's not possible, or because the timing would just be so hard or something. Stupid question yeah, but just wondering.
You can do it, but it's really stupid to try it.

You can't tell when Snake is going to set it off, for one thing. Shield is safer. Counter is laggy.

There's really no reason to counter over shield.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Like ToZ said, Counter is pretty much never safe. But yes you can counter explosives. However there is enough time to react between when Snake says "Now" and the actual explosion. Well ToZ, there could be a rare case, for example if the Marth as in the air or such and didn't want to risk an air dodge, but not likely.

V

Smash Ace
Which characters does Marth HAVE to play defensively against?

Player-3

Smash Hero
you said HAVE too

noone has to do anything in any game bro

see wut i did thar

but honestly marth really doesnt have to play defensively at all agaisnt anyone

look at OEN for instance

V

Smash Ace
Ok I see what you mean. I tend to play with a passive/aggressive playstyle so I guess that's the way to go.

BTW I justed switched from MK :)

V

Smash Ace
Yeah I like Marth so much more. It's harder to use him and I actually like that :laugh:

Gekoo

Smash Rookie
one question: what is the best grab?XD i never use the throws because theyre so weak , but sometimes ill have to so and thats why i wanna know it :O

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
one question: what is the best grab?XD i never use the throws because theyre so weak , but sometimes ill have to so and thats why i wanna know it :O
Throws are your easiest way to setup strings and kill moves, abuse them. Utility wise, Fthrow and Dthrow are your best overall. Uthrow allows possible juggle traps, Bthrow sets up potential gimps.

Player-3

Smash Hero
at higher percents

dthrow bounces them off the stage so then end up higher above the stage, bthrow will put them around a good height

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Don't forget grab>release!

Marth's ground release can link into other moves against an unsuspecting opponent. Against some characters (MK, namely) aerial release combos into other moves; in Metaknight's case, it links with tipper dair, nair, tipper fair, dash attack and dolphin slash at any percent.

Against characters such as Squirtle and Ness, Marth's aerial release combos into a pivot grab, making it infinite.

Marth's grab game is great; don't ignore it.

OH! And Uthrow kills around 200%

GreenFox

Smash Ace
What is a good way to deal with the ice climbers? I.E avoid getting grabbed? I'm not used to this matchup and haven't found an effective way yet. It seems you really have to change your playstyle on this MU

Dekar173

Justice Man
What is a good way to deal with the ice climbers? I.E avoid getting grabbed? I'm not used to this matchup and haven't found an effective way yet.
Playing on a stage with platforms is a must, don't be too aggressive, and don't be afraid to upB away from a scary situation (typically you want to land on the platforms, as the ICs will have more trouble grabbing you from there, eat the 10-20% that they'll deal with uair instead of the -1 stock you'll receive from being grabbed ;))

I'd like some clarification- is dthrow x 10 (starting at 0% on Fox and Falco) guaranteed even with DI? I'm not quite sure if my friends are just terrible at DIing out of stuff, and when I try to escape it's more or less because they're messing up the chaingrab. Please let me know :D

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Yeah I realized.. FD is my worst nightmare. All that seems to work is a bunch of retreating fairs everything else gets sheildgrabbed to a loss of 1 stock.

Can someone explain to me where Dancing Blades is punishable and not? It seems as if I have been able to escape DB (full side motions) by DIing down after the 2nd hit and PSing the 3rd hit and grabbing marth out of the attack.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
What is a good way to deal with the ice climbers? I.E avoid getting grabbed? I'm not used to this matchup and haven't found an effective way yet. It seems you really have to change your playstyle on this MU
Yell and scream your heart out. Play them on stages like Smashville or Battlefield. Platforms and loud noises are your best friends. MikeHaze wasn't just being funny when he was yelling; it was extremely distracting and provided one hell of a mindgame for his IC opponent to deal with.

What can I do to wolf after I get a grab on him?
F-Throw or D-Throw at lower percents. Follow up with F-Airs, Shay-Airs, D-Tilts and Dancing Blades.

At higher percents B-Throw or release.

At highest percents (180+) U-Throw for a kill

Can someone explain to me where Dancing Blades is punishable and not? It seems as if I have been able to escape DB (full side motions) by DIing down after the 2nd hit and PSing the 3rd hit and grabbing marth out of the attack.

x10 I know doesn't work. Fox has too much knockback after around 30%. So the most is roughly 5 times.
If you land hit one, then you can continue though four and it's not punishable. Your opponents must be Dancing at a slow tempo, if that's the case.

If you land hit one, then you can continue though four and it's not punishable. Your opponents must be Dancing at a slow tempo, if that's the case.[/QUOTE]

They cannot all be unpunishable o.o Slow DB I can explain for the PS attempt, but what about the DB that ends with the 4th hit being DownB. That combination of DB is 7 hits that allow you to DI behind marth before the final hit goes and you can punish him there.

Top Bottom