• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
ANd how did you test this?

I could be wrong, I've personally never tested it in depth; but I never pull it off in match... Zard's still in the air when his hit stun ends... IIRC

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
heres a good question,
How dose a advanced marth player evolve to the next stage?(witch would be pro level i belive)
Pefecting the ability to condition, read, and pressure your opponent. Learn and utilize your best options, mixup your patterns, and study your match-ups.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Don't overdo it or they break out.

Or ground break (for MK).
Just MK? Works fine on quite a lot of other characters. No guaranteed BS of course, but maximum amount of pummels + possible follow-up with Marth being in the advantage > a throw without any decent follow-up whatsoever. At higher percentages that is.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Just MK? Works fine on quite a lot of other characters. No guaranteed BS of course, but maximum amount of pummels + possible follow-up with Marth being in the advantage > a throw without any decent follow-up whatsoever. At higher percentages that is.
MK was just the first that came to mind, there are others, for example, wario is another big name you wanna air release (for follow-ups). Squirtle is another air release character (0-death).

There are a couple of others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
MK was just the first that came to mind, there are others, for example, wario is another big name you wanna air release (for follow-ups). Squirtle is another air release character (0-death).

There are a couple of others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
Was more or less aiming at ground releases, air releases are common sense.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Was more or less aiming at ground releases, air releases are common sense.
Well, since you sort of said, "just mk", so I wanted to give a more complete picture.

The thing with letting them ground break is that the result is neutral and you end up with bad spacing, so it's preferable to pummel a bit and then throw.

Up-throw is usually good to set up for juggle traps and d-throw or f-throw can set up for edge-guarding. Against most characters, I'd throw, after some pummels of course, depending the percent.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Well, since you sort of said, "just mk", so I wanted to give a more complete picture.

The thing with letting them ground break is that the result is neutral and you end up with bad spacing, so it's preferable to pummel a bit and then throw.

Up-throw is usually good to set up for juggle traps and d-throw or f-throw can set up for edge-guarding. Against most characters, I'd throw, after some pummels of course, depending the percent.
Well, forcing a ground release gives your opponent 2 actual options:

- Going offensive
- Going defensive

Only faster characters can get away with going offensive, but against characters like G&W (who doesn't really have an offensive panic button) you can expect a defensive stance to set up.

Then Marth has the options:

Dtilt
DB
DS (lol)
Regrab

If you get your opponent to be defensive after they've been ground released, you're in a major advantage.

In my case, ground releases pay off.

Just my 2 cents.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Well, forcing a ground release gives your opponent 2 actual options:

- Going offensive
- Going defensive

Only faster characters can get away with going offensive, but against characters like G&W (who doesn't really have an offensive panic button) you can expect a defensive stance to set up.

Then Marth has the options:

Dtilt
DB
DS (lol)
Regrab

If you get your opponent to be defensive after they've been ground released, you're in a major advantage.

In my case, ground releases pay off.

Just my 2 cents.
And what if they SH?

You're in perfect spacing for a SH'd aerial and can't really abuse spacing to avoid it. Sure you have anti-aerial options, but committing to pretty much any of them guarantees getting punished if they just attack out of SH for quite a few characters, and everyone else can punish you if they SH backwards from all those options. Basically, it's a guess game, and if you guess when, you take damage, you've got far more abusive positions.

Juggle trap is much safer for example.

Uffe

Smash Hero
How do I DI against R.O.B.'s D-smash.
I would think the same way you DI out of Pikachu's d-smash. I don't have a working Wii at the moment, so I can't actually test this myself, but try to DI upward. If that doesn't work, upward at an angle away from R.O.B. Good luck.

I have a question myself, if anybody can help me out. I've been using Marth for some time now and I recently fought a Zelda. How do I deal with her? Also, how do I deal with projectile? I tried my best to space myself from her, but it was a bit difficult.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Dash, "ping", PS/shield
SHFF fair

Win.

Spacing Zelda is easy when fair out ranges her ground game except for ftilt/fsmash/dash attack.
Fsmash being dealt with by patience/nair/grounded move.
Dash attack or some sort of aerial counter from zelda... is really just about timing & spacing better.

IF you're getting hit by the smashes or dtilt often you aren't spacing yourself.

Don't try to challenge her sh nairs or her 'potential' fairs or bairs if she's already in your face, just pivot foxtrot away and dancing blade/fair counter.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Dash, "ping", PS/shield
SHFF fair

Win.

Spacing Zelda is easy when fair out ranges her ground game except for ftilt/fsmash/dash attack.
Fsmash being dealt with by patience/nair/grounded move.
Dash attack or some sort of aerial counter from zelda... is really just about timing & spacing better.

IF you're getting hit by the smashes or dtilt often you aren't spacing yourself.

Don't try to challenge her sh nairs or her 'potential' fairs or bairs if she's already in your face, just pivot foxtrot away and dancing blade/fair counter.
Thanks for the advice. Her Din's Fire seems to get to me as well, but I suppose I should figure a way around that myself. By the way, does SH > nair > Grab > f-throw > f-smash still work? Or is it only for Melee?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Whoa, if that's true, then that'd be totally cool!

Well either way, if you do the regrab perfectly, it still may be very hard for the MK to escape... Mikehaze regrabs quite a lot.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Thing is, I've tested it a few times in training mode. Far left side of FD, 35%, 1 pummel, grab released, buffer dash grab, pummel, and it shows up as consecutive hits. I mean, on FD, you could chain grab release meta knight to the ledge and finish with a grab release D-air. The timing is difficult to pull off constantly but it's not as hard people make it out to be(thought, pressure is another thing though...). Just takes practice I suppose.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Thing is, I've tested it a few times in training mode. Far left side of FD, 35%, 1 pummel, grab released, buffer dash grab, pummel, and it shows up as consecutive hits. I mean, on FD, you could chain grab release meta knight to the ledge and finish with a grab release D-air. The timing is difficult to pull off constantly but it's not as hard people make it out to be(thought, pressure is another thing though...). Just takes practice I suppose.
Training mode has an issue with that. Falcon boards actually noticed that it occasionally listed consecutive hits AFTER the opponent airdodged. I'm not exactly sure of the situation, but I think it counts hitstun stage 2 as a combo, even though you can airdodge out of it.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Vids or it didn't happen.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Thunder stop spamming.

Kishin:

Training mode lies, it does that with a few things. It doesn't actually combo.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Well, I don't have the equipment necessary to record videos but it's easily testable for yourselves.

I'm not willing to give up on this until there's proof of it not working. :(

Been trying to test this out to the best of my ability and it's shown no signs of failing. I could possibly test this out more accurately with some friends on Saturday though.

Top Bottom