• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

C.J.

Smash Master
Dolphin Slash also has A LOT more horizontal range than shield grab too. It's like DDD's shield grab range or longer. I'm not 100% sure, but angling DS may affect the horizontal range it has (like angling forward to hit with max range). People tend to fail their DI when you use it OoS really fast or when you escape with it at the last frame, making them either die pretty early (around 100% for most characters?) or get sent offstage in a bad position.
And I think against Diddy using Fair or Nair just before landing is safe on block (it's like -4 on block when hitting a shield and landing the frame afterwards or something). You can land and shield cause Diddy can't shield grab (only monkey flip, which is slow OoS) with a Banana on his hand (banana glide toss is like frame frame 8 or 9, 6 or something when down thrown). Though space that at least a bit so that he can't Down glide toss OoS you, which beats shield I think. The only reason people say Diddy's OoS game with a banana is good is because it hits so long on frame 8 or 9, but for Marth, the difference between facing a frame 6 OoS move and a frame 8 one makes quite a difference. It's not as easy when he has a banana + a banana in front of him on the ground though, so don't let him get control of 2 bananas.
All kinds of wrong.

First of all, doing that means you'd PS the banana, which causes Marth to trip most of the time because f**k bananas. OR you're holding shield now, waiting for the hit confirm on your shield to punish which doesn't come so you react slower so a GT up while going forwards will still get you grabbed a lot. OR he throws it up and backwards causing you to start to get camped again and you can't jump into him while the banana is in the air since it controls that space so you're now getting camped by Diddy which is miserable.
That -3/-4 number is if you land on a very specific frame(s) of fair/nair relative to the hitbox you put out.
Bananas thrown down trip through shields so GT down OoS will still trip you through your shield.

Yes, in super duper theory land, Diddy can't hit your landing with a banana throw because you're going to PS the banana and before you trip, with your frame 1 reaction time, are going to DS OoS so you hit his outstretched arm. But, here in the land of reality, unless the Diddy Kong player is an idiot (because that magic safe fair/nair have to be done so precisely, they're stupidly easy to predict which is why you see Marth's fairs get PS'd soooo often) and LETTING themselves be put into such a specific spacing for that to happen consistently, landing with aerials where there's the possibility for Diddy to shield is NOT safe. Obviously you still want to land like that sometimes so it represents the threat, but landing like that like you would vs Falco is asking for any competent Diddy to blow you up.

The DS stuff was right though.

Also @ whoever actually asked the question about DS, don't neglect DB OoS and fair OoS.

smashtavo15

Smash Rookie
Hi! Im Kaede and my question is: Do anyone know about a marth community video that were in youtube some years ago? the info i have is the music was Kurenai from JapanX, some players in were Pierce, Azen, Neo, Junk, Dr pee pee, i know the video is down cause some day i didnt found it.. if you have the video please let me know :grin:

PEACE7

Smash Champion
I remember the video but damn ma dude i doubt anyone has it that **** is ancient. Try messaging ZMT but i doubt he even remembers this site exists, so it might be useless. Good luck

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Hey, um, me and Steel2nd made that video in 08-09, the Youtube channel it was uploaded on was deleted because I'm an over emotional guy that makes unintelligent decisions when stressed. The video itself is long gone though, sorry, it's impossible to recover. It was actually a good CV too <<

smashtavo15

Smash Rookie
I though that just maybe someone used a program to capture the video but.. even if I didnt it would be strange that other did :c you are right, at least i have the pleasure to know te creator of that **** haha, it was legendary

C.J.

Smash Master
Of course he's alive. I summoned him. Didn't you see/hear the lightning/thunder?

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
Slightly complicated question. Can someone tell me all the followups MK can do out of his dthrow at 0% depending on your DI? And how you can deal with it/take as little damage as possible?

Ex:
DI away: He can walk forward and ftilt/dashgrab?
DI up: He can upair/SL?
DI towards: He can regrab? upair?
DI down: He can dashgrab?
And of course there are the up and away, up and towards, and so on combination options.

I've tried multiple variations at 0% and have come to the conclusion that you'll be taking more damage 95% of the time no matter what you do (unless you DS, but he's probably at low %s/it won't be very effective). If I'm missing some good option I'd like to know about it.

C.J.

Smash Master
down/away + tech means he has to read it to punish

unless you're fighting against Ally's reaction time. Then you're screwed no matter what.

C.J.

Smash Master
I WANT to say I was there in spirit.

But Chibo un-modded me so I didn't care anymore and left the chat somewhere during MT.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
Chibo is a bad bad man. Tries to influence others to drink, then posts fake images of them wasted when he fails.

inafternamesearch.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
I remember seeing one playing on stream in doubles. Itakio or something? He teamed with Valdens iirc.

Thanks for the replies, CJ/Shaya. I tried the down and away and it worked a lot better than what I was doing before :)

PackAttack91

Smash Rookie
Newer player here.

1) What are Marth's kill moves?

2) What is his fastest aerial for momentum canceling?

3) Does Marth's Up-B help you get out of jab locks like Mario's Up-B?

4) Are there any other good OoS options besides Up-B?

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
1) Marth has a lot of kill moves. It's hard to kill without tippering though. That's one reason why good spacing is so important with Marth. It greatly reduces the killing problems. Dsmash kills pretty well even when not tippered when you hit with the front of the move and it'll very often be fresh cause you won't use it much other than for killing. It's also frame 6 and has good range. It's hard to tipper anything other than aerials. Thankfully aerials kill pretty well when tippered. Tipper Bair and tipper Nair hit really hard and even Fair can kill when it's fresh. Up air also can kill pretty well when tippered, especially the up middle and up back hitboxes. Sometimes you can get a Nair 1 to Utilt at kill %s, it comboes at high percents. The tricky part though is setting that up cause Nair doesn't have much vertical hitbox and the first hit only lasts 2 frames. Then there are other good kill moves like Up b, Fsmash, Utilt (especially back part, which doesn't kill that much later than Snake's Utilt when non-tippered) and tipper Dancing Blade 4 up when fresh.
2)Fair is the best MC most of the time because it's the fastest aerial. Sometimes Bair can be good too though because turning around can be useful sometimes and it's only has a few more frames duration than Fair. Still, I'd say that overall Fair is our best momentum cancelling move.
3)Mario's Up b doesn't jab lock. Maybe you have to be clearer with that question.
4)Absolutely. Fair is pretty good, shield grab is great too cause it has good range. Even Bair is not too bad. DB is really good OoS especially when punishing attacks that push you far but is laggy, like MK's Dsmash. Dsmash can be excellent sometimes when you want to punish OoS at %s where you can kill with Dsmash. Usmash can work pretty well sometimes because it covers both sides and deals a nice 18-20 % damage when fresh and also can kill. Uair as well when someone hits your shield with an aerial and is above afterwards like MK's Dair. Dash grab OoS can be good at times as well against laggier moves. Getting grabs is always good with Marth.

PackAttack91

Smash Rookie
1) Marth has a lot of kill moves. It's hard to kill without tippering though. That's one reason why good spacing is so important with Marth. It greatly reduces the killing problems. Dsmash kills pretty well even when not tippered when you hit with the front of the move and it'll very often be fresh cause you won't use it much other than for killing. It's also frame 6 and has good range. It's hard to tipper anything other than aerials. Thankfully aerials kill pretty well when tippered. Tipper Bair and tipper Nair hit really hard and even Fair can kill when it's fresh. Up air also can kill pretty well when tippered, especially the up middle and up back hitboxes. Sometimes you can get a Nair 1 to Utilt at kill %s, it comboes at high percents. The tricky part though is setting that up cause Nair doesn't have much vertical hitbox and the first hit only lasts 2 frames. Then there are other good kill moves like Up b, Fsmash, Utilt (especially back part, which doesn't kill that much later than Snake's Utilt when non-tippered) and tipper Dancing Blade 4 up when fresh.
2)Fair is the best MC most of the time because it's the fastest aerial. Sometimes Bair can be good too though because turning around can be useful sometimes and it's only has a few more frames duration than Fair. Still, I'd say that overall Fair is our best momentum cancelling move.
3)Mario's Up b doesn't jab lock. Maybe you have to be clearer with that question.
4)Absolutely. Fair is pretty good, shield grab is great too cause it has good range. Even Bair is not too bad. DB is really good OoS especially when punishing attacks that push you far but is laggy, like MK's Dsmash. Dsmash can be excellent sometimes when you want to punish OoS at %s where you can kill with Dsmash. Usmash can work pretty well sometimes because it covers both sides and deals a nice 18-20 % damage when fresh and also can kill. Uair as well when someone hits your shield with an aerial and is above afterwards like MK's Dair. Dash grab OoS can be good at times as well against laggier moves. Getting grabs is always good with Marth.

Thank you.

Does Marth's Up-B let him get out of jab locks, like Mario's Up-B gets Mario out of jab locks?

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I don't think it does. When jab locked you can't do anything. I don't think Mario's Up b does let him get out of jab locks either. Still, with Marth being able to tech or jump after falling off plataforms like on BF, unlike chars like MK and Snake, he should rarely be put in that situation anyway. In case you don't know what I mean, watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyFtJDxsqMs
Marth's Up b is still really good at getting out of situations where the opponent messes up something by a frame, because Up b is invincible from frame 1 to 5 and hits first on frame 5. I can also say that sometimes jabs like Ike's and Falco's can pop you up when you get hit by them and then you can up b between like their jab 1 and 2 (Ike and Falco for example) or between jab 2 and 3 (Falco for example). Be smart with using Up b though.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
What's the easiest way to perform GR>reverse tipper fsmash on Wario?

Personally, I've just waiting for him to fall, dashing forward and flicking the c stick in the opposite direction. Recently though, Boom informed me that KillLock does a jankier method that's supposedly easier by pummeling once, holding A, waiting for release, dashing forward, and releasing A and smashing at the same time.

Is there an easier way than these two, or are there any tips one can give? :)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I just seem to need maybe 2-3 matches before I have the timing down. iono how it could be any easier... it's basically fthrow tipper fsmash on MK timing except you're dashing too.

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
What's the easiest way to perform GR>reverse tipper fsmash on Wario?

Personally, I've just waiting for him to fall, dashing forward and flicking the c stick in the opposite direction. Recently though, Boom informed me that KillLock does a jankier method that's supposedly easier by pummeling once, holding A, waiting for release, dashing forward, and releasing A and smashing at the same time.

Is there an easier way than these two, or are there any tips one can give? :)
I was lucky enough to play friendlies with Leon a couple months ago, he gave me the exact same advice. According to him Marth gets a longer dash while holding A. It works

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
So I see Mr.R do some fantastic fox trotting or just as hung and turning around with no delay.The only way I have been able to do this is hold a and dash the hit c stick up.What do you guys do and how can I do this so I can mix up my approach?

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hey Marth Boards, quick question:

What tools does Marth have to help freshen his moveset besides grab pummeling? I kinda thought Dancing Blade staling helps freshen his moveset too but I'm not sure and to follow-up with DB,

If DB does freshen other moves, do you only have to use DB1? or DB2, 3 or the whole 4 hits? & does it change or affect using the red blue or green DB hits?

C.J.

Smash Master
So I see Mr.R do some fantastic fox trotting or just as hung and turning around with no delay.The only way I have been able to do this is hold a and dash the hit c stick up.What do you guys do and how can I do this so I can mix up my approach?
God I hate this question.

Foxtrot->pick a dash input you want to turn around during-> dash the same direction-> cancel it with a DD back to the opposite direction
wheeee

What tools does Marth have to help freshen his moveset besides grab pummeling? I kinda thought Dancing Blade staling helps freshen his moveset too but I'm not sure and to follow-up with DB,

If DB does freshen other moves, do you only have to use DB1? or DB2, 3 or the whole 4 hits? & does it change or affect using the red blue or green DB hits?
Each individual hit of DB refreshes his moveset by one. Keep in mind that pummeling only counts as more than one move refreshed if you wait for the animation to end/don't abuse the IASA frames on it.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings

You can use DB (upwards) to start a juggle.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
Someone tell me the exact SDI directional inputs needed to DI out of Diddy's fsmash? I've tried combinations of multiple directions and all of them seem to work randomly but never consistently (does it depend on your damage?; I want to say it shouldn't because people say you can SDI out of the 2nd hit consistently).

C.J.

Smash Master
Damage doesn't matter- it's more important to be aware of the spacing that you're being hit with. If you're being hit near his body, up+into him. If you're closer to the move's max range, straight out.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
As always Thanks Marth boards~ Another weird question:

When you footstool with marth and DB1, can you wavebounce DB1 and maybe FF down or no FF and footstool again? If not it'd be a footjump off their shield if they sit in shield which in case gives us a free shield breaker?

Top Bottom