• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
F-Throw -> Nair only works if they don't Di the Nair down.

And for spacing practice, just practice against a dummy cpu, sandbags, shells, crates, barrels, etc.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Wait can you get out with regular DI or does it strictly have to be SDI to get out of Nair?

Lord Chair

Smash Master
You can't react to the nair but you can react to the fsmash because of the extended hitlag. The optimal reaction to fthrow is DIing downwards and being set to SDI the nair. If you end up getting fsmashed you can react in time. DIing downwards sets you up for getting regrabbed. As such, if Marth wants to incorporate strings out of a 0% grab in his game he can opt to mix up the fsmash, the nair and the regrab and he'll get an RPS which he wins two-thirds of the time.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Or he can jump, wait a little longer than normal, get a tipper forward air (F6 or F7) that they SDI downwards onto the ground. Get extended hitstun due to such properties. Chain a second forward air that you land with. Rising nair that.

Only works on the lightest weights though, heavier chars will be able to shield in time.

Or the wait a little bit longer so your second hit of nair will definitely be travelling downwards. As in, nair around 10-15 frames after jumping.

Badly DI'd tipper dtilt at 0% can be a free fair too.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
When Marth is on the ledge vs Metaknight with rco lag, and the metaknight keeps using tornado, what are Marth's options?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Get the reverse dolphin slash to trade and get a free uair/bair.

Can drop down quite a bit for that, or instantly ledge drop it. Counter. B-reverse counter from the ledge/ledge drop jump. Dancing Blade 1 can work.
Wait for the opportunities though. Avoid 1 tornado and there's at least 40 frames until the next one. A minimum of 33 for the ftilt/dtilt.

Codyyy

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone explain to me what a transcendent hit box is? and why does dancing blade have it?

C.J.

Smash Master
A hitbox that only interacts with other hurtboxes (see: Falco's lasers). Essentially it means that it will never clash with another move (and assuming proper spacing/appropriate range, all transcendent hitboxes beat MK's nado).

DB has it because coding says so.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Can someone please exlain why Mr R was 2 stocked by Zero last night (you can wait until the set is uploaded, i will post it here if i remember).
I think I understand high level play, but I lack the experience and match up knowledge to know the mix ups they used and all the options they had, plus I was reading comments in the chat.

C.J.

Smash Master
Pika's jolt is just a boring normal hitbox. It follows normal clash rules.

And BlueXenon, you basically want an in-depth video analysis then?

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Pika's jolt is just a boring normal hitbox. It follows normal clash rules.

And BlueXenon, you basically want an in-depth video analysis then?
I just want a short summary of what happened in the second match. It's a match up that I play a lot as both characters and I want to know more about the options and mix ups.
You can do a in-depth video analysis like you did for DEHF vs Tyrant if you want to.
btw, I linked a lot of new wifi players to that thread because I thought it would help them understand the game better.

C.J.

Smash Master
hnnngggggg, depending on what Ramin wants from me about that match I may do an analysis of it.

Maybe.

No promises.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Fair (or any other aerial) always beats Turnip unless it's a stitch face. So approaching with Fair should not get shut down by Turnips. Jab and pretty much anything that isn't DB, SB or DS beat or clash with Turnips. Honestly Turnips are bad for camping a Marth because they take a while to pull out and when thrown they move forward really slowly. They also don't stun much. They don't really combo either and deal very little damage. So you can for example also walk, PS or jab and then rush in before she gets time to pull another Turnip. Or PS and then carefully jump into her. I'm pretty sure you can react to the pull up and I think her OoS actually becomes worse when holding a turnip because hitting you with it doesn't do much except interrupting and she loses her ability to grab or do any regular ground move that isn't Fsmash when holding one.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Pulling a turnip is laggy, so you should focus on being avoiding that turnip throw and then prey on their weaker state. If they play their turnips as an out of shield option, then you should pay very special attention to how you hit their shield (i.e. max range, well ff'd fairs/uairs that you can shield before they can do anything with). In the air? You got to realise that they can only use aerials if they z drop regrab things, which is laggier. Fair wrecks that at the right ranges. In terms of them approaching with it... well it just requires you to shield the turnip for it to disappear.... be careful.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Pulling a turnip is laggy, so you should focus on being avoiding that turnip throw and then prey on their weaker state. If they play their turnips as an out of shield option, then you should pay very special attention to how you hit their shield (i.e. max range, well ff'd fairs/uairs that you can shield before they can do anything with). In the air? You got to realise that they can only use aerials if they z drop regrab things, which is laggier. Fair wrecks that at the right ranges. In terms of them approaching with it... well it just requires you to shield the turnip for it to disappear.... be careful.
Peach can do aerials with a held item while she floats.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
That's why I said Fsmash. But that's the only non-aerial standard move you can do with an item (it doesn't work set the C stick to attack though). Are you sure that you can do Dsmash and Usmash too? I thought only Fsmash worked.

SSS

Smash Ace
Dtilt uses?
Ftilt uses?
Nair uses?
Bair uses?

During the first stock and I'm sort of "testing the waters" if you will, what should I test their reactions for?

If I Dancing Blade and they always seem to throw up shield halfway through, should I go for Shieldbreaker or grab? What are some other options after first hit of Dancing Blades? Is grab guaranteed? Is sweetspotted Dolphin Slash guaranteed?

What's the best Dancing Blade variation for shield eating?

C.J.

Smash Master
Dtilt uses?
Ftilt uses?
Nair uses?
Bair uses?

During the first stock and I'm sort of "testing the waters" if you will, what should I test their reactions for?

If I Dancing Blade and they always seem to throw up shield halfway through, should I go for Shieldbreaker or grab? What are some other options after first hit of Dancing Blades? Is grab guaranteed? Is sweetspotted Dolphin Slash guaranteed?

What's the best Dancing Blade variation for shield eating?
"poking"
safe landings/weaving
beating AA's, juggles, safety, edgeguarding since the hitbox/arc is the size of the iceberg the titanic hit

You look for whatever they give you. Watch vids, every time someone gets hit/hits shield think back earlier in the match to every other time that situation came up.

If you're DBing and they're putting their shield up, between hits, you're going waayyyyyyy too slow. The options after DB any hit on shield are to be scared and to try to think of a way to get to safety because you're about to get sent home in a bodybag for touching shield w/ that move. It's a punishing move, there should never be a shield involved unless you're way too slow or you don't know the moves DB can punish.

There is no good version of DB for shield eating because if you hit shield you're about to get wrecked.

Top Bottom