• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

KoozyK

Smash Ace
Marth is one of lucas's worst match ups. You shouldn't be winning.

the best advice I can give is realistically to pick a different character

You see thats exactly why half of the smash community shouldnt even play this game.
lucas is the most fun character to me in this game. I hate when people pick i high teir character that they barely even like just to win.
Im not saying thats why u picked marth or even trying to argue, im just saying whay use a character thats not fun, its a video game...its supposed to be fun.
Plus if anyone is truly good, the MU doesnt matter. theres always a way to win. Just Look at reflex with Pokemon.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
No one cares about how good you are exactly, if your opponent is at the same level and he picks Marth against your Lucas, you shouldn't expect to have a chance.

No really, don't.

ChibixD

Smash Apprentice
You guys buffer the dash in the GR to dair on MK?
What's the best option against SHAD?

Altres

Smash Apprentice
Whats all the hype on Marth vs. MK? the best person on my block seconds MK, I can't remember having trouble, other than SPAMMING. :p

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altres
and what IS a good way to pratcice spacing (Noobs Unite! :D)
Go to training mode and just practice hitting a CPU that's not moving. Aim to tip every move, of course. After you get that down, set the CPU to something other than attack and do the same thing. Then set the CPU to attack and do the same thing. Finally, do it with actual people.
Aghhhhh! Too hard! any other ways? any tips?

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
You guys buffer the dash in the GR to dair on MK?
What's the best option against SHAD?
Previous posts said there was a 3 frame leeway for GR to dair, but I don't know if that included the buffering window or not. Buffering window from a grab release is 2 frames iirc, so I guess the worst case is that if you don't buffer it you have to be frame perfect. It follows then that you'll have more leeway if you buffer, so you should buffer it.

I think the best option against SHAD depends on what character is using it... In general you can try to dtilt or pivot grab their landing. In some cases it might be better just to walk away to reset spacing. If you find people are SHADing through a lot of your attacks, you should probably vary your timing more, and hit them after the AD.

Whats all the hype on Marth vs. MK? the best person on my block seconds MK, I can't remember having trouble, other than SPAMMING. :p

EDIT:
Aghhhhh! Too hard! any other ways? any tips?
MK is generally agreed to be one of Marth's worst matchups. MK can do nearly everything that Marth can do, and more. You're probably not having trouble because that person is not playing the matchup properly.

And yeah...I thought that was already pretty simple. Just go with the first step for now.

toki

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3582-9503-2397
Any good tips for Marth's fox trotting? im terrible at explaining things but.... i want to fox trot dash right then left then right....repeat.
If that makes any sense :p similar to wavedance.

I just want to get better with fox trotting.

Altres

Smash Apprentice
I think I know what you mean..... I just cant answer it right now..... nor can I find a video..... :(

*sits in the corner*

!-=Mc$=-!

Smash Cadet
Any good tips for Marth's fox trotting? im terrible at explaining things but.... i want to fox trot dash right then left then right....repeat.
If that makes any sense :p similar to wavedance.

I just want to get better with fox trotting.
The "fox trotting" at brawl is more sluggish than melee.

U have the dash dancing faster than melee

x)

SkOaRaAn

Smash Cadet
What is a good way to get back on stage from attacks like meta knight's fsmash(where i di upwards). I usually fast fall down then air dodge, they usually up b, but usually they predict and neutral air me. Is there a better way of getting back on stage? Would stuff like SB bouncing , or going backwards and recovering low work?

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
got to mix that recovery up.

the entire MK marth MU is literally a mix up reading game in a neutral situation.

its just really gay when he he has the momentum.

If he's F smashing your landing you could DJ over him and side B ect,

mix it up.

MacNCheese.

Smash Ace
NICE! i'm gonna try this when I get home ^_^

EDIT:Is this a good strategy?

• [*]Instead of Ledge attacking I drop off and use Dolphin Blade
    [*]When I face MK's I stage spike the campy ones
    [*]After SHNair I immidiately go for either DB or Fsmash
    [*]I usually play the
    hybrid marth
    [*]MY Most used tactic is SHnair, when they try to counter it, shield and Dolphin Blade
    [*]I save tippers for 50% +, thats where it kills
I don't know if that made sense to anyone but me so.....

Would you call this good?
Can I win with this?
Any reccomendations?

The above recomendation worked :D

SkOaRaAn

Smash Cadet
i play differently among characters. It all depends on the match up. @ Darkstar- all i could say is that don't stay with one thing. Mix it up a little. Use different tactics and moves in the same match. For example: i do a SH fast fall f-air the first time. Then later on i jump as if i'm going to do it again, but i drop down and grab him. You know what i mean?

MacNCheese.

Smash Ace
wow. great minds think alike :p

I do mix up my playstyle quite a bit.... but ledge drop dolphin slash always works

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
NICE! i'm gonna try this when I get home ^_^

EDIT:Is this a good strategy?

• [*]Instead of Ledge attacking I drop off and use Dolphin Blade
    [*]When I face MK's I stage spike the campy ones
    [*]After SHNair I immidiately go for either DB or Fsmash
    [*]I usually play the
    hybrid marth
    [*]MY Most used tactic is SHnair, when they try to counter it, shield and Dolphin Blade
    [*]I save tippers for 50% +, thats where it kills
I don't know if that made sense to anyone but me so.....

Would you call this good?
Can I win with this?
Any reccomendations?

The above recomendation worked :D
I would call it a start. You aren't going to win with only this, of course. I'll assume you do other stuff...

My comments:
-Drop off DS is definitely better than ledge attack (almost everything is better than ledge attack actually). You can also use drop off fair as well.
-That shouldn't be happening often against a MK who knows what he's doing
-The first hit of Nair does legitimately combo into other moves, but I'm not sure if that's what you meant when you say SHnair. If that isn't what you meant, following up with either DB or Fsmash might not always be the best idea.
-Hybrid Marth = mixing up defensive and offensive I'm assuming? If so, that's good. Though in some matchups it is better to play defensively and visa versa.
-If you do that too often, people will eventually catch on. Then you are stuck in DS lag and will get severely punished. DS Oos itself is a good tactic, but you should only use it when you know it will hit.
-I don't really think you need to save any of your moves. DB refreshes moves quite well, and it's not like Marth has a limited number of kill moves in the first place. Chances are that the tippers that can kill (ex. fsmash) are fresh anyway, since you shouldn't be using them too often.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
No, it was the last Robin one you had, I think. Already forgot what it was.

Soran

Smash Ace
Thank you very much C.J. and Shun Goku Satsu =^.^=

I've played with tap jump the whole time in which I mained Marth (80% of of my Brawl experience)
Is there a reason default controls are better O.o?

Top Bottom