• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
it actually has some uses when crossing a large length of a stage after an aerial, you move just as fast have more options and don't trip, while it isn't a HUGE advantedge not tripping is somthing i would always consider

authentic

Smash Rookie
I have a question. What is the easiest method to ledge hop? Like what buttons do you use (at least with Marth)?

If I'm on the left side of the stage and I want to ledge hop, I tap the joystick left then right (and hold) as fast as I can, and then a split second after that I press X to jump. I'm not always able to time it correctly though, so I wonder if there is a different way out there that would work better. If not, I'll just keep practicing it till I can do it 100% of the time.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
What's happening instead of ledgehopping? It seems like you're doing it right, except I press X as I'm moving the stick to the right.

authentic

Smash Rookie
Often I'll still make it to the stage, but with a really slow backwards jump (instead of the nice quick, clean forwards onto the stage jump) and I kinda float onto the stage. I think I just need to practice it more...

Reizilla

You're using Marth? Marth's double jump shouldn't turn him around unless you're doing a back air or something... I guess just keep practicing, man :/

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
Just wondering when you shield break somebody what is the highest damaging move you can use against them? I always use a fully charged shield breaker but I noticed in a match between Chaz and D3 he used a fully charged USmash for i think it was 31 or 37% damage?

Reizilla

Fully charged upsmash is the most damaging if you hit it right. The easiest way I've found to get it is to walk as close to them as possible and then just pivot away from them and do it.

For killing, Fsmash kills 1% earlier and does one percent more damage than SB, but Shieldbreaker is much easier to space imo.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Where should I start with Marth? I've been using him for some time now, but not ever in serious matches. The only true reason I'm using him is because Marth mains are smart at conditioning their opponents and can even get away with the most obvious attack methods (SH > fair x2), things like that. I'm not saying it's easy, or that that's aways the case. I main Ness and I'd like to apply those methods to my main.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
i don't know if marth mains really "condition " their oppenents more then any other character since thats mindgames, however marth mains need to have utmost precision in their spacing and tip somwhat unconsiouslly. to use marth you need to play PERFECTLY no room for error with your lag and light wieght.

marth is considered one of the harder characters to master, unless your serious about using him I wouldn't bother

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
Id say the marths who are successful need to condition their opponents.
We need to get kills, realistically.
your not wrong but I would focus on the basics first as to prevent US from getting killed. Although realisticly you need both in order to win

Nightshine

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, has anything new or groundbreaking happened since around the beginning of Feb.? Haven't been on here in a little while and was wondering hows everybody doing and everything going.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Uffe, you wanna see conditioning? Go watch Daigo.
If watching a Street Fighter player will really help me out, then I will. Unless you're talking about a different Daigo. But anyway, yeah, I really do want to learn how to use Marth. He's an amazing character, and there were even times before ever using him that I actually wanted to try him. Anyway, I believe what Shaya says is true. Realistically, Marth mains may need to condition correctly just to actually get a KO off. Personally, even though with all his great KO potential, I seem to have trouble landing an attack that will KO my opponent since we all know one attack like f-smash really works wonders once it hits.

Anyway, should I just watch some videos and see how to use him properly? Or if you guys have one, go to a Marth thread that discusses different techniques?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The main thing we have in killing is our tipper nair and bair.

Bair is actually really easy to pull off as a punisher and a baiter.
Nair is also quite good at restricting aerial movements for most characters + with the shield pressure.

Id say a lot of my kills come from nair and bair these days. Safe, long range aerials are what we use :p.
Oh and edge guards.

Its lucky we have kill set ups on characters like MK and Wario (grabs).

Player-3

Smash Hero
really shaya?

like all of my kills are set up from f/dthrow after habits and stuff, or offstage edgeguards (like 80% of them are)

i like to spike falcos

i suck at getting kills :[

next sat tourny hopefully get some stuff recorded for critique~

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that this deserved its own thread, so I'll post it here.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nnlzzvzoj2j

What I made was a tracer for Marth's sword. You know how the sword leaves a glowy trail when swiping? I made it so that there is an orange-ish color along the outside, where the tip of the sword would be. So it's like a guide to know where to hit. I think that this would be useful to learn how to tipper every time, though with moves like Nair and Usmash, the tracer is hard to see. The orange color isn't the best, but I think that it works on darker colored stages and most other ones. I mainly made this for the beginners, but yeah. I'll probably change the color to something else later if others are having problems with seeing the thing. Hope this helps.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
I don't conditition at all... at least consiously. I don't think it's ncessary, most people play beter / safer when they're at higher percent anyway

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
we can agruablly learn from larry here, we have to be content to raising percents high if we don't have a safe opening to land a move that will kill earlier.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
What I've recently found is that if you end up just having to bat them around until an opportunity comes, after a few fairs and stuff your DB won't be deminished and I almost ALWAYS get the kill with up DB, so long as i remember to try it. I mean, DB is already an amazing punish, right? Shouldn't be terribly hard to land. Then again I'm not exactly fighting pro players... Worth a try maybe.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Ok, quick question about the Snake match-up. How can I avoid getting ***** on the tech-chase from D-throw? If memory serves, we have five options.

1: Stand up
2: Get-up Attack
3: Roll away
4: Roll behind
5:Wait

Of the 5, it feels like only two are realistically viable. Rolling behind is punishable on reaction, Marth's get-up attack almost never shield pokes, and waiting will just get you hit again.

At the same time, I get chased by a boost grab if I roll away, and grabbed again if I stand up.

Halp?

Also, what stage is best to fight Snake on for Game 1? Options around here vary, but have included FD, BF, SV, YI, lylat, PS1, Frigate, Siege, Halberd. (Top 3 or 4 would be good.)

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
Its actually harder for snake to techchase marth because marth has farther rolls. The snakes have a guide thats specifically relating on how hard it is to tech chase some characters. marth had the highest rating of difficulty of 9/9
I will consult it because If i remember rolling AWAY from snake is the hardest option for him to punish, he can only either punish a foward roll if the thinks your going that way or punish something up close...

waiting for snake to make the first move is generally the best option however don't do it to frequently or he wil uptilt you (however if he uptilts you can roll away if you think he will up tilt or get up attack)

the best MLG starter stages to fight snake are probably YI BF delphino lylat

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Its actually harder for snake to techchase marth because marth has farther rolls. The snakes have a guide thats specifically relating on how hard it is to tech chase some characters. marth had the highest rating of difficulty of 9/9
I will consult it because If i remember rolling AWAY from snake is the hardest option for him to punish, he can only either punish a foward roll if the thinks your going that way or punish something up close...

waiting for snake to make the first move is generally the best option however don't do it to frequently or he wil uptilt you (however if he uptilts you can roll away if you think he will up tilt or get up attack)

the best MLG starter stages to fight snake are probably YI BF delphino lylat
He didn't seem to have any trouble boost grabbing me on the forward roll. =(

Also, I got ***** on YI, he just camped under the platform. Advice for that stage?

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I only said it because it hurt utilt and can screw with his nades.

I was also wrong rolling towards snake has the longest roll
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235804

Also don't get grabed.

if your scared or some sort of C4 on the platform run anyway he can't shield and detonate and can be punished if he tries to detonate on you. this a prime example of Adums threat> Execution

Also keep in mind snake playing against marth will feel like he is being RUSHED DOWN if you can space well and avoid his tilts and be patient with his camping( HOLES WILL REVEAL THEMSELVES BE PATIENT) there isn't really much snake can do AT ALL. snakes can't do much against D tilt (according to snake boards although it does beat his f tilt) or FH fair but don't get predictable with either.

and be patient with kill moves too even if it means getting him to 175% before trying to kill him.

and don't let him back on stage either when he goes off, snakes will almost ALWAYS airdodge. Bait then punish

Lord Chair

Smash Master
and don't let him back on stage either when he goes off, snakes will almost ALWAYS airdodge. Bait then punish
Good Snakes will alternate falling aerials, nade reverses, airdodges and cyphers. Still comes down to catching their landing, but don't say that they will almost always airdodge since they really do have other options, even though they're not ideal either.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
my awnser is probably yes but... IF the falco beat me he played better so .................

As long as I got my 10x Dthrow tipper in I can live with it

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I would never allow myself to play against Snake on YI on the starter.

Its just too awkward to get past snakes nades.
Using aerials at all is super easy set up bait for him to dash attack you.

I was pretty sure roll away goes further than snake can reach with boost grab. Get up attack comes out on frame 8 or 10 I think, so faster than reaction speed. Just remember that if Snake shields and you dont HIT his shield, hes stuck for at least 14 frames (not including standard oos options).
Otherwise stand up is quite good... do the ankoku (get up dolphin slash.. .lol) from time to time.

Reizilla

I like the ankoku >:]

Also, yes, Marth's roll AWAY from Snake is too far to punish on reaction, except for MAAAYBE a dash attack or DACUS. Maybe, but I'm certain that it's too far for boost grab. If he's getting you with it, he'd have to be predicting your roll.

For startes, I like Delphino and BF, followed by SV. Just be careful of the three pillars transformation on Delphino. The ceiling is quite low.

Top Bottom