• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Madao

For all of you falcon main's out there. Which hitbox is responsible for this trajectory?
I've seen it a few dozen times but I'm unsure of which hitbox causes this. It's obviously is a reverse hitbox of some sort but I don't know where the contact point is. I'm curious because I'm trying to use various uair tricks to extend combo potential.
For CF's uair, it's not about which hitbox hits, it's rather when. The hitbox properties change depend on the time. To be more specific, the only thing that changes in his uair, is the angle. At that exact moment in the picture you posted, the angle = 20.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
I always ask these questions with ambiguity, don't I?

I knew that the time of the hit affected the trajectory. lol. I was just asking which of the two hitboxes caused the angle. Was it the inner, outer, or either?

Madao

I always ask these questions with ambiguity, don't I?

I knew that the time of the hit affected the trajectory. lol. I was just asking which of the two hitboxes caused the angle. Was it the inner, outer, or either?
Both hitboxes are the same, except for the size and location. So the simple answer is either.

Smashed64

Smash Rookie
What do I need to get started for online play? Ive only ever played on the console, but this online stuff looks too much fun. I want in! Thanks for any help!

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
So can anyone tell me why there is lag on flat screen/ newer tv's, and if there is any way to calibrate it so it doesn't. I just played with some really good players this week and while they were leagues ahead of me, I really noticed a difference on a crtv and played atrociously. I'm hoping all the progress I've made the past year isn't nullified by the fact I can't seem to play right on a crtv.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
So can anyone tell me why there is lag on flat screen/ newer tv's, and if there is any way to calibrate it so it doesn't. I just played with some really good players this week and while they were leagues ahead of me, I really noticed a difference on a crtv and played atrociously. I'm hoping all the progress I've made the past year isn't nullified by the fact I can't seem to play right on a crtv.
i don't really no why it lags or how to fix that but let me just say i spent like my first 6 months learning to play competitively on a flat screen. it only took a week or 2 to adjust to playing lagless after i started on a crt. so i doubt all your progress is lost u just need to readjust your timing

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Newer tv's have to upscale the video and it causes a bit of lag. CRTs don't do any scaling whatsoever.

As far as I know, there isn't any setting on new tv's that will keep it from upscaling. Due to the upscale from modern tv's, pixels have to be added on low-quality video so that the video isn't really tiny. The game should look nicer on a CRT anyways because it doesn't have to add any pixels and do any kind of change to the vanilla look.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Just have to not get murdered when I go to pick it up.
You guys didn't get murdered coming to some random guy's house to play smash. I was lucky that A$ wanted to unload his CRT at the first tournament I ever went to and bought it from him. I still remember it not fitting in Rob's trunk and having to sit with it for the ride home haha.

Sedda

Smash Champion
You guys didn't get murdered coming to some random guy's house to play smash. I was lucky that A$ wanted to unload his CRT at the first tournament I ever went to and bought it from him. I still remember it not fitting in Rob's trunk and having to sit with it for the ride home haha.
are you going to apex?

ill be there (maybe). you should go too

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
Haha we did metaphorically get murdered by you when we came.

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
^

I'm trying to warm up the old girlfriend into letting me use her tablet..... But I think I'd have better luck talking her into a threesome. So I'll probably start looking for a cheap one tomorrow.

Last edited:

Smashed64

Smash Rookie
Thanks guys. So, after I calibrate my controller with the project 64 emulator, what do I need to do? Do I also need the smash ROM? I am just looking to play in the Kailera weekend tournaments on advancedbrackets. Thanks again.

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Thanks guys. So, after I calibrate my controller with the project 64 emulator, what do I need to do? Do I also need the smash ROM? I am just looking to play in the Kailera weekend tournaments on advancedbrackets. Thanks again.
Yes get the ROM with a google search. Make sure it has (U) (!) at the end and you should be good to go.

Annex

Smash Ace
I recommend google.com it is rather good

Then move the rom to the emulator roms folder. Oh and you have to extract this from a zip/7z/rar using winrar or 7zip (both nagware), launch the emulator, enable the plugins it came with, EXIT to save changes, boot the emu and ****, just watch knites video dude really

Morin0

Smash Lord
A bunch of sites got scurred of the recent Nintendo emulation patent, so they took down all their Nintendo ROMs. I think. You can try torrenting.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
ok so i got a new computer and now i am having trouble playing online. I have all my settings set up like before and i can actually play on emu however if i try to click on the options drop down menu while playing smash my whole computer basically freezes up. anyone know how i can fix this im so clueless on how to fix this

also on a possibly unrelated note when i play online and join someone elses match i cant use my controller as if it is unplugged. this only happens if i'm p2 not p1

MCG

Smash Apprentice
ok so i got a new computer and now i am having trouble playing online. I have all my settings set up like before and i can actually play on emu however if i try to click on the options drop down menu while playing smash my whole computer basically freezes up. anyone know how i can fix this im so clueless on how to fix this

also on a possibly unrelated note when i play online and join someone elses match i cant use my controller as if it is unplugged. this only happens if i'm p2 not p1
1) I don't know

2) Uncheck raw data

caneut

Smash Ace

make sure your mouse isn't bound to any buttons.

Madao

I'm surprised nobody here mentioned game mode! It made such a difference on my newest tv. Let me know if it helps, if you haven't already enabled the option.

Also I think CRT's display in 30 fps, so that could make a difference as well.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised nobody here mentioned game mode! It made such a difference on my newest tv. Let me know if it helps, if you haven't already enabled the option.

Also I think CRT's display in 30 fps, so that could make a difference as well.
Game mode on my HDTV didn't do anything noticable there was still significant delay and lag.

Madao

Game mode on my HDTV didn't do anything noticable there was still significant delay and lag.
It doesn't completely solve the problem, but should be better than nothing. I totally forgot that n64 doesn't have a component cable (been so long since I've played console :) ). So ya, lag is inevitable due to conversion problems.

Lol my point about CRT's being 30fps is irrelevant because afaik 480i is the only option anyway ;/ . I forgot about that xD.

Horbie

Smash Cadet
I'm having a bunch of problems setting up netplay and was wondering if someone might be able to tell me what I'm doing incorrectly.

I followed the instructions in the smash index thread, and everything seems to be working fine in general.
My emulator works perfectly offline.
Whenever I try to connect to a server though, it tells me that there was a "server protocol mismatch or other error."

And I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on.

I'm running windows 8.1 and Project54KVE 0.13 Core 1.4. I just downloaded the directory from dropbox link link in the smash index and set everything up with that.

What's really weird is that if I run 64k, I can connect to the servers, but I haven't been able to make it through a stock without desyncing, and the executable keeps crashing (I'm assuming the crashing is because it's not supposed to be running on windows 8.1).

Edit: I think I got it figured out, actually. It seems like the servers that were preloaded don't work. But if I join through the master list, everything works.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
I'm having a bunch of problems setting up netplay and was wondering if someone might be able to tell me what I'm doing incorrectly.

I followed the instructions in the smash index thread, and everything seems to be working fine in general.
My emulator works perfectly offline.
Whenever I try to connect to a server though, it tells me that there was a "server protocol mismatch or other error."

And I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on.

I'm running windows 8.1 and Project54KVE 0.13 Core 1.4. I just downloaded the directory from dropbox link link in the smash index and set everything up with that.

What's really weird is that if I run 64k, I can connect to the servers, but I haven't been able to make it through a stock without desyncing, and the executable keeps crashing (I'm assuming the crashing is because it's not supposed to be running on windows 8.1).

Edit: I think I got it figured out, actually. It seems like the servers that were preloaded don't work. But if I join through the master list, everything works.
yep that's the problem. all the preloaded servers no longer exist. you can add servers from the master servers list onto your main list and delete the preloaded ones for convenience.

Tech That!

Smash Rookie
I can't seem to find anybody to play with.

It might just be that it's 3 AM...

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom