• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
Thanks man, if it did still have crouch canceled KB it would have made sense to just throw out the hitbox while crouching in some instances, but it makes sense that it wouldn't work

Last edited:

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
How come sometimes when I try to grab with R, the shield just comes up instead? Sometimes I wind up popping in and out of shield like a spastic idiot instead of grabbing. It's probably my fault somehow but I still want to know the reasoning/mechanics.

Last edited:

Cedricwa

Smash Apprentice
How come sometimes when I try to grab with R, the shield just comes up instead? Sometimes I wind up popping in and out of shield like a spastic idiot instead of grabbing. It's probably my fault somehow but I still want to know the reasoning/mechanics.
Someone can correct me on this, but I believe it's because when you hold R you shield, so after that point if you keep pressing R you'll go in and out of shield. Similarily how if you repeatly press A then repeatedly press R you'll be stuck in rapid jabs. (With pikachu at least, idk about other characters). Eventually if you keep pressing R you'll grab them out of jabs, or you can wait until you stop jabbing to grab or get away. With the sheilding if you find yourself not able to grab try hold sheild with Z and grab with Z+A. Should grab rather than continuous sheilding. That's the only time I use Z+A to grab.

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
Yo I asked this once @Sangoku told me it's just that I was mistiming it. There's probably something I could quote and have the exact reasoning. But I'm lazy and on my phone

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
if you hold R for longer than however many frames after you try to grab you just shield or something

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
I think that if you press R too early, whether it be on landing or trying to follow up after a laggy move, you'll actually buffer your shield. It acts like a buffer because R is a macro for Z+A and when you press it early and hold it down, the only input remaining is Z when you're holding R. The popping in and out of shield seems to occur because shield drop has a little bit of lag so the shield buffer occurs again.

Shears

Smash Master
I think that if you press R too early, whether it be on landing or trying to follow up after a laggy move, you'll actually buffer your shield. It acts like a buffer because R is a macro for Z+A and when you press it early and hold it down, the only input remaining is Z when you're holding R. The popping in and out of shield seems to occur because shield drop has a little bit of lag so the shield buffer occurs again.
Is this the same with all characters or are other characters more prone to this problem then others? Basically is the shield frame data the same for all characters? I guess I could check frame display but I'm on my phone taking a **** right now.

MCG

Smash Apprentice

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
I saw a ness player dropping from the ledge then instantly using down b and after that holding on to the cliff (like pika upb on to the click (timewise)
How to do that?

€: smth else:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqPO0jMOWOk&index=4&list=UUFO1cv7mQcx5fMFgGXIP5xg
at 2:54, did isai teleport into laser? at least there is the sound of the teleport
to answer your second question no, u cant teleport until you have finished your dash animation. Also im not aware of any teleport sound

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i think he may've, but it's hard to tell. if you teleport close to the ledge you just fall off. i dunno if the properties of falling off are different (that is, if you fall off closer or not).

you drop from the ledge then press downb for ness.

JoGooD

Smash Rookie
Hello,
I found out that it seems there's no rom that has the invinsible mod when you die like the original game.
I tried many version of PJ64 and many Smash 64 (U) [!] roms.
My concern is about the origin of the game, why it's not exactly the same ?

Thanks

Last edited:

-nero

Smash Rookie
Are there any guides specifically for keyboard DI? My DI sucks and I want to improve it but all the guides I've found are understandably for controller DI. I know keyboard is supposed to be easier but I'm having trouble replicating some things I've seen in videos. I'm wondering if you can do slide DI on keyboard, if there's a way to hit my control stick buttons that is more effective (mashing the same direction or alternating between two, say down and down-right), etc.

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Mashing is mashing, in all seriousness, I might use KB but my DI is generally terrible.

Ask Star King or Killer on this forum.

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
Sooo I hate to ask the quintessential noob questions, but I'm interested in playing online, I just downloaded the emulator and the game, and am looking into buying the adapter for the controller since I can't play for crap on the keyboard, and quite frankly don't want to learn. My questions so far, and I'm sure there will be more since I'm pretty computer illiterate, but here goes.

1. If I buy this adapter, does it work well, is there any input lag as opposed to the keyboard or xbox controller, is there a specific adapter recommended? Do I need to download another program to make it compatible with my Mac/emulator?

2. What do I need to do to play online? Like seriously, what's the first step, do I need to download anything else, is there some large server most people go to to play? Is it free to play?

3. Is there much lag while playing? Can you play with more than 1v1? Do most of you guys prefer to play online, or just on console?

Anyway thanks in advance for the help, I'm sort of an idiot when it comes to computer stuff, and I'm looking forward to getting better at this game, being part of this community and meeting everyone whether in online matches or at tournament venues. Thanks again.

Annex

Smash Ace
Hey baby check out this fine piece of ass: http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-64-index-read-here-first.350305/

1: Buy a raphnet or mayflash. They work well. Input lag differences are minor across the adapters and controller types (less than a frame). Macs suck in mysterious ways so you might have to get a program. Setting that up would be a general mac thing though and not specific to 64 online. Maybe someone here uses a mac but I doubt it

2: Read that fine piece of ass I posted up there and watch knitephox's superguide to online. His voice is soothing and his words are gold. There are 3 main servers in chicago, florida and new york. You can search for them within the program using the Master Servers List. Ye it's free

3: Lag ranges from 1 to 4 frames for me on all 3 servers. You're in PA though so you should be running godlike to the NY one (which is the most populated). Watch knite's video in the index. Yes you can play teams. Most people in 64 play online and it's a great the best way to get better

Read the index
Watch Knite's video
Uncheck raw data

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
Hey baby check out this fine piece of ***: http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-64-index-read-here-first.350305/

1: Buy a raphnet or mayflash. They work well. Input lag differences are minor across the adapters and controller types (less than a frame). Macs suck in mysterious ways so you might have to get a program. Setting that up would be a general mac thing though and not specific to 64 online. Maybe someone here uses a mac but I doubt it

2: Read that fine piece of *** I posted up there and watch knitephox's superguide to online. His voice is soothing and his words are gold. There are 3 main servers in chicago, florida and new york. You can search for them within the program using the Master Servers List. Ye it's free

3: Lag ranges from 1 to 4 frames for me on all 3 servers. You're in PA though so you should be running godlike to the NY one (which is the most populated). Watch knite's video in the index. Yes you can play teams. Most people in 64 play online and it's a great the best way to get better

Read the index
Watch Knite's video
Uncheck raw data
Awesome man, thanks a lot. I'll check out the video tomorrow and order the adapter. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I really appreciate you giving me a jump off point.

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone, as I predicted I have more questions regarding playing online lol, I'm having trouble downloading project 64 for my Mac, it just doesn't seem compatible, I did however download an emulator called sixtyforce, and downloaded smash 64 for it as well, from what I can tell the game runs fine, but do I need project 64, or can I play online with this sixtyforce? Thanks again, sorry for being a pain.

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
alright got project 64 downloaded, but I can't seem to get ssb to open for it, idk if I need to unzip the file or something, I keep trying to do that and i'm getting nowhere

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
You have to unzip the file, Then change your rom folder under choose rom directory to wherever the unzipped file is. It should be a .z64 file.

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guys I'll try when I get home. This is the first time I regret getting a Mac haha. I'm a dunce when it comes to this stuff, and I really appreciate the help.

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
So I'm curious, and I probably sound like a noob, but whenever you guys short hop in a match is there any trick to it? I can short hop all day in training mode, but when I play an intense match I'm always mashing the buttons, is it something you really have to concentrate on doing like tilts, or can it be done easier?

Top Bottom