• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Mupen64rr is open source so someone could port kailera to it and krecs would work (either if the recorder used mupen64rr or if there's a way to convert other krec files).
NONONONO. --> BIZHAWK <-- is better plus all these tools you want are probably already developed because it's the emulator of choice for TAS videos. AND it emulates more than just 64!

Last edited:

tehz

Smash Apprentice
http://tasvideos.org/Bizhawk/N64.html

• The emulated console will always see 4 controllers plugged in, each with a controller pack installed
But how will I uncheck raw data?

Bizhawk's pretty cool, but I dunno if having a emulator with really robust scripting features is the best thing for online play. It'd be interesting to see if the movie conversion script mentioned on that page could be used as a basis for converting krec/button inputs into TAS-level playback in bizhawk.

Madao

NONONONO. --> BIZHAWK <-- is better plus all these tools you want are probably already developed because it's the emulator of choice for TAS videos. AND it emulates more than just 64!
Well I just tried it and I do like some of its features, but I don't see anything about kailera. The reason I'm interested in krecs is because a lot of people use that for recording.

C4lmpl3x

Smash Rookie
Quick technical question on the Hori mini, I'm looking to replace the joystick pot because the controller I bought off Ebay didn't actually fit the "working perfectly" description. So I used some google-fu and didn't come up with any data for the clickable Alps pot that came on the Hori. I'm assuming it's a 10k pot, as GC/ps2 controllers are, so can someone tell me if the Hori pot is also 10k?

Studstill

Smash Ace
Does anybody know specific frame data for pivot smashes? I feel like it should be the same for each character...not sure though. Basically, within how many frames of the pivot must you press A to get the smash off?
With that asked, it seems that you have to press A at least one frame after the actual pivot, is this true?
Did you ever find this data?

sman865

Smash Apprentice
Can you link to those responses? Thanks! And let`s smash if you want!
http://smashboards.com/threads/ask-...king-a-question.237869/page-206#post-16554491
http://smashboards.com/threads/ask-...king-a-question.237869/page-206#post-16554494

Forgive the double post. I just set up Project64KVE today and everything was working initially! I played two successful games on server with somebody. Since then, whenever I join any game (p2p or server) my controller's stick is apparently tilted entirely to the right. This is weird because it was working beforehand. It's also weird because it only happens in online games - I have no trouble offline.

Details:
-Mayflash adapter.
-raw data is unchecked.
-I have two n64 controllers, one is practically new, the same thing happens to both of them.
-I tried messing with the dead zone, range, n64 range button, and nothing changed.
-I tried changing ports and controllers and nothing changed.
-I'm using KVE version .13, pj64 core version 1.4.

if it's related, after starting netplay I now can't exit pj64 because it says I have kaillera windows open, which isn't the case. So I've had to end process to get out.

Does anybody have any idea what's happening here? I'm currently at the point where I'm planning on just reinstalling pj64. But I feel like it's a noob mistake I'm making and could be a simple fix. Once again, raw data is unchecked. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

M!nt

Smash Champion
if it's related, after starting netplay I now can't exit pj64 because it says I have kaillera windows open, which isn't the case. So I've had to end process to get out.
Not related, happens all the time.
Does anybody have any idea what's happening here? I'm currently at the point where I'm planning on just reinstalling pj64. But I feel like it's a noob mistake I'm making and could be a simple fix. Once again, raw data is unchecked. Thanks!
Did you try the one in the index? http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-64-index-read-here-first.350305/ You shouldn't have to install it. Also check and see if you have other controllers enabled in the input plugin and check if they have raw data unchecked.

Last edited:

Studstill

Smash Ace
I setup some kid the other day, and when we played the p2 controller was frozen. If I hosted: his. If he hosted: mine.
Same kind of nonsensical problem. I think it is a driver/plugin issue that only activates when it looks for controller 2, i.e. online. Try making sure all your controller plugins are cleared if not in use?

M!nt

Smash Champion
1st player should be the only controller port turned on. None of the 4 controller ports should have raw data checked.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
I think I saw it in a yoshi guide video on youtube but I seem to remember reading that crouching with Yoshi makes parrying easier. Is there a specific reason why? If I'm wrong with this assumption sorry, I forget the source so I can't go back to look.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Someone made a drawing to help understand and I think it was a good idea...

Imagine the opponent falling one you with an aerial out, let's say he touches Yoshi's head at a height of 1000 (completely arbitrary). You need to parry when he goes from 1001 to 1000. Since a parry lasts 3 frames, you can start parrying at 1003, 1002, or 1001. Now imagine you were crouching and Yoshi's head is now at 500. If you parry (or shield) the crouching stops and it's the same situation as if you weren't crouching. Therefore you could parry any time between 500 and 1000. And if you don't parry at 1000 exactly it doesn't matter, since you're only at 500 thanks to your crouching.

tl;dr: when crouching you can parry anytime your opponent would have hit you if you weren't crouching.

Don't know if that's clear.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone happen to have that drawing? I'm not fully understanding your explanation, Sangoku. I'm more of a visual learner, so the drawing will probably help a lot.

From what I'm understanding, when you parry while crouched, instead of it only lasting from 1003-1000 like it would while standing, it would last from 500-1000? (Yes I understand that the numbers are arbitrary.) I'm probably wrong with how I'm understanding it, though.

Edit again: Okay so if for example, a falcon nair was falling on you, instead of having to parry anywhere from 1003-1000, you crouched and parried at 500 but you parry/shield so yoshi's head goes back up to 1000. Therefore, you have a little bit more time to react because the nair hasn't hit you yet if it's at 600 for example, but the head is at 500. I think my explanation is weird but I think I'm understanding it a bit better after re-reading 20 times. Pretty much, you have from 500-1000 to react to the incoming attack rather than 1003-1000. Not sure if I'm wrong or if anyone else will understand what I'm trying to say, even I'm confused reading it.

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
It's not about how long it lasts, it's about the frame window within which you can input your shield and get hit <3 frames after.

Made the drawings on my phone rofl

And

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
i was gonna do some ms paint masterpiece, but you're not worthy yet

keep this in mind:
shield has the same radius when you're standing and crouching, so by crouching you give yourself more time to parry.

left yoshi gets hit on frame 5. right yoshi gets hit on frame 7
the trick is that right yoshi can parry just as early as left yoshi, and since he is ducking, he can parry later than left yoshi, thus giving him more time.

meh, i'll have to remake those, i don't like the lack ofsync and the fox stocks

hadn't seen that drawings had been posted before posting myself

Last edited:

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
Made the drawings on my phone rofl
Perfect. Despite my unusual explanation, seems like my most recent edit was the correct understanding (although probably difficult for others to understand, but the pictures represent what I had in my mind perfectly)

Thanks Sangoku, very interesting explanation. Pretty damn cool.

Shears

Smash Master
The idea is, with more space in between you and the attack, you have more time to time the parry within the 3 frame window. If the attack is at 1100, you have 3 frames to shield before the attack moves 100 (1100-1000) if you're standing. But if you're crouching, you have 3 frames to shield before the attack moves 600 (1100-500). So you have more pixels per frame to react, and the reason is because when you shield in a crouch, the head resets back to 1000 right away.

So if the attack fell at 100/frame by the time it hit you standing, you only had 1 frame to get the parry off, but if you're crouched you would have 6 frames since the shield moves you into the hit zone within 1 frame (thus satisfying the 3 frame window).

I'm not a parry or technical master by any means, but this is my interpretation of this data.

Last edited:

M!nt

Smash Champion
Why is upsmash the only smash attack that works with R????

Madao

Why is upsmash the only smash attack that works with R????
It has to do with player states. Grab has priority over smash attacks. The reason you can upsmash is because you can cancel a jump with up smash. If you press R and up at the same time, you will grab instead of up smash.

Shears

Smash Master
R can be used to do aerial attacks so what happens is you jump first, then do R which it registers as attack instead of grab because you are jumping, then determines you are in the window of cancelling the jump to do up smash or up b (the cancelling was put in because they didn't think people could accurately do up smash or up b without stick jumping), and so it resets you back to the ground and performs the registered attack, in this case up smash.

It doesn't emulate the button press when you are back on the ground, it just executes the registered move which is calculated before the cancel, in this case its up attack, which on the ground is up smash.

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
Just to add a little precision, keep in mind that R is A+Z on one button. Since shield doesn't work in the air you will make an aerial (but you can still z-cancel with R: during an attack's ending lag pressing A doesn't do anything, but pressing Z cancels it). And since pressing Z during a jumping animation doesn't do anything only the A component will be effective.

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
why does R sometimes shield when you're trying to grab? I know If you hold R it will shield, but it will grab then shield. Sometimes it doesn't grab and just shields. Do you just have to tap it and make sure you don't hold down R or do you have to be pressing a direction?

Sangoku

Smash Master
Imagine the ending lag of some move ends on frame 100 (arbitrarily), you want to grab as soon as possible, ie on frame 101. However since you're not frame perfect you press R on frame 99. Since when you press R it lasts for more than one frame (obviously, we're not letting go on R as fast as possible), then maybe it lasts until frame 105. So you input A+Z on frame 99 during the ending lag of a move: nothing happens. You keep A+Z pressed until you can move again (frame 101), since shield is a bufferrable action (unlike A) you will shield from frame 101 to 105 when you release R.

Studstill

Smash Ace
Well I just tried it and I do like some of its features, but I don't see anything about kailera. The reason I'm interested in krecs is because a lot of people use that for recording.
Ever get anywhere with this? I`ve been all over the interwebs, no solution to "krec locked to emulator recorded with". What are the problems with Mupen netplay?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

This is a Q&A thread for anything Smash 64 related. There's no need to make a new thread for a simple question. Ask here, and someone will be more than willing to answer :)

Great. Saved me from a possible warn, of the thread I could've made.

Now, hear me out, if you wish:

Hey. I've bought Smash 64 (J) around 2 years ago. I don't actually have an N64, but I could get one, sometime in the future.
I've actually always liked this game, competetively. Always watched some videos here and there. Great spectator's sport. Used to play it casually years ago. Now, to the actual question:

I've played this game on the actual N64, in two different conventions. The controllers...were a ridiculous mess. Their sticks were so f'ed up, that you couldn't even DASH. Had to, literally, JUMP, just to move around. Someone told me that most N64 controllers are in that condition...so, the question is- How do you guys manage? N64 HORI Mini controllers?

Sedda

Smash Champion
Get lucky and find a controller with a good stick and grease it, or buy a hori. If you only play online, you can also use pretty much any controller or a keyboard. Hori is the best option if you want to play console and are struggling to find a legit n64 controller with a nice stick

Hey. I've bought Smash 64 (J) around 2 years ago. I don't actually have an N64, but I could get one, sometime in the future.
I've actually always liked this game, competetively. Always watched some videos here and there. Great spectator's sport. Used to play it casually years ago. Now, to the actual question:

I've played this game on the actual N64, in two different conventions. The controllers...were a ridiculous mess. Their sticks were so f'ed up, that you couldn't even DASH. Had to, literally, JUMP, just to move around. Someone told me that most N64 controllers are in that condition...so, the question is- How do you guys manage? N64 HORI Mini controllers?

Fireblaster

Smash Lord

Most retro gaming stores have used n64 controllers that are still good. Buy some of those and grease them.

Madao

Ever get anywhere with this? I`ve been all over the interwebs, no solution to "krec locked to emulator recorded with". What are the problems with Mupen netplay?
Mupen++beta is actually better than Pj64k (less desynchs). I have not found a solution to the krec problem. The issue with Mupen64-rr is that there is no kaillera support for it, so you cannot even use it for online play or krec playback and Mupen++beta does not have Mupen64-rr's features. An experienced programmer could easily port Kaillera, but no one here is experienced enough / cares enough to port Kaillera to better emulators.

Also for some reason, Mupen++ is less popular for online play, so most krecs will be for pj64k.

D

Deleted member 189823

Nice solutions, thanks.

I am currently playing on an emulator with a PS1 controller. Feels pretty cool.

Top Bottom